More "facts" from the ex-captain

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Paji » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:06:53


"I scored 80 against Pakistan and also missed a hundred against
England. It was just that I could not convert the scores into big
hundreds."

Actually scored 79 against Pakistan - in his last 6 ODI matches against
them.
In Tests his scores have been: 21,12,12,1,2.

"Last year I was the second highest run getter for the country behind
Rahul Dravid. The difference (between our aggregates) was a mere 15-20
runs. It is just a question of not converting the scores into big
hundreds."

Beginning 01-01-2004   SG has scored 1156  in 43 innings against
Dravid's 2033 in 56 outings.  (ODI)

In Tests, it is 573 against 1477 !

where is mere 15-20 coming from?

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200511220310.htm

 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Piramal Jhunjhunwal » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:09:45


<chop chop>

Quote:
> where is mere 15-20 coming from?

he was prolly thinking about the average and said aggregate instead.
Quote:

> http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200511220310.htm


 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:57:19


Quote:

> "I scored 80 against Pakistan and also missed a hundred against
> England. It was just that I could not convert the scores into big
> hundreds."

> Actually scored 79 against Pakistan - in his last 6 ODI matches against
> them.
> In Tests his scores have been: 21,12,12,1,2.

> "Last year I was the second highest run getter for the country behind
> Rahul Dravid. The difference (between our aggregates) was a mere 15-20
> runs. It is just a question of not converting the scores into big
> hundreds."

> Beginning 01-01-2004   SG has scored 1156  in 43 innings against
> Dravid's 2033 in 56 outings.  (ODI)

> In Tests, it is 573 against 1477 !

> where is mere 15-20 coming from?

Where I come from, "last year" means last year i.e. 2004, not "since the
beginning of last year".

Not that such a nit-pick is likely to change anything: the only remotely
comparable figures are that in the calendar year 2004 Ganguly scored 947
runs and Dravid 1025.

It's beginning to get rather sad seeing these figures being touted by the
player himself in print.  I have a feeling Mr Ganguly might be quite at home
in rsc.

Andrew

 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Paji » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:20:59

Quote:

> Not that such a nit-pick is likely to change anything: the only remotely
> comparable figures are that in the calendar year 2004 Ganguly scored 947
> runs and Dravid 1025.

Good point - I missed that one earlier.
Most of 2004 Dravid was the wicket-keeper batsman,
SG was a top-order specialist bat.

"Mentally unfit" charge from the coach rings true with each passing
day.

 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by amukho » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:47:24

Quote:


> > Not that such a nit-pick is likely to change anything: the only remotely
> > comparable figures are that in the calendar year 2004 Ganguly scored 947
> > runs and Dravid 1025.

> Good point - I missed that one earlier.
> Most of 2004 Dravid was the wicket-keeper batsman,
> SG was a top-order specialist bat.

Now I'm missing this one. Was Dravid (as the WK-B) the team's top
scorer for the calendar year? If so, are you saying that reflects badly
on all the specialist bastmen?
 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:11:29


Quote:



> > > Not that such a nit-pick is likely to change anything: the only
remotely
> > > comparable figures are that in the calendar year 2004 Ganguly scored
947
> > > runs and Dravid 1025.

> > Good point - I missed that one earlier.
> > Most of 2004 Dravid was the wicket-keeper batsman,
> > SG was a top-order specialist bat.

> Now I'm missing this one. Was Dravid (as the WK-B) the team's top
> scorer for the calendar year? If so, are you saying that reflects badly
> on all the specialist bastmen?

odos in 2004:

1141 Sehwag
1025 Dravid
947 Ganguly
841 Yuvraj
837 Laxman (who?)
812 Tendulkar
564 Kaif

Make of that what you will.

Incidentally, I am curious to understand this word "bastmen".  Men who are
bast-what?

Andrew

 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by amukho » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:45:11

Quote:

> odos in 2004:

> 1141 Sehwag
> 1025 Dravid
> 947 Ganguly
> 841 Yuvraj
> 837 Laxman (who?)
> 812 Tendulkar
> 564 Kaif

> Make of that what you will.

Thanks.

Quote:

> Incidentally, I am curious to understand this word "bastmen".  Men who are
> bast-what?

Sorry -- that's Delhi-ite for "guys who are appointed to carry rings
and make speeches at weddings".
 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Tweedle De » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:16:48

Quote:
> 1141 Sehwag
> 1025 Dravid
> 947 Ganguly
> 841 Yuvraj
> 837 Laxman (who?)
> 812 Tendulkar
> 564 Kaif

> Make of that what you will.

Going by these numbers, Ganguly was not "the second highest run scorer
after Dravid" last year, nor was his aggregate "a mere 15-20 runs
behind Dravid's". But I'm nit-picking here. Ganguly does have a point
when he says that he didn't do all that badly last year. It's
interesting, though, that he doesn't mention *this* year, when he
really has struggled a lot more, both in tests and odis. What's worse,
he never looked comfortable during any of his stints at the crease this
year. A Sehwag for instance, hasn't done all that well in ODIs this
year either (though he's definitely done better than Ganguly), but at
least he doesn't look completely clueless when he's out there in the
middle.  If all selectors selected batsmen on how well they did last
year, then a Michael Clarke wouldn't find himself kicked out of the
team.

I must say that all the interviews that Ganguly has been giving of late
really make him look rather   desperate. He's literally begging the
selectors and Chappel and Dravid to give him a chance, for his
performances a year back, for his "10 years of service to the team and
country", for his recent  performances against Zimbabwe and North Zone
in the Duleep Trophy. Quite a sad sight.

--TD

 
 
 

More "facts" from the ex-captain

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:29:47


Quote:

> > 1141 Sehwag
> > 1025 Dravid
> > 947 Ganguly
> > 841 Yuvraj
> > 837 Laxman (who?)
> > 812 Tendulkar
> > 564 Kaif

> > Make of that what you will.

> Going by these numbers, Ganguly was not "the second highest run scorer
> after Dravid" last year, nor was his aggregate "a mere 15-20 runs
> behind Dravid's". But I'm nit-picking here. Ganguly does have a point
> when he says that he didn't do all that badly last year. It's
> interesting, though, that he doesn't mention *this* year, when he
> really has struggled a lot more, both in tests and odis. What's worse,
> he never looked comfortable during any of his stints at the crease this
> year. A Sehwag for instance, hasn't done all that well in ODIs this
> year either (though he's definitely done better than Ganguly), but at
> least he doesn't look completely clueless when he's out there in the
> middle.  If all selectors selected batsmen on how well they did last
> year, then a Michael Clarke wouldn't find himself kicked out of the
> team.

Indeed last year is a very long time ago.  Especially when your figures this
year are 209 runs at 17.41 with one 50 (a 51) in 13 knocks.  More so when
even last year represented a downturn from previous years.

I guess no individual Indian batsman had an especially spectacular 2004
(although it is of course an arbitrary time frame anyway).

It's probably more timely to consider whether there is a place for Ganguly
in the Test squad.

Andrew