The Reuter Library Report
February 11, 1995
HEADLINE: Cricket -Paper says Warne rejected test bribe
BYLINE: By Bernard Hickey
DATELINE: SYDNEY, Feb 11
A top Australian cricket official said on Saturday some of his
players had been offered bribes to throw a test match in Pakistan
late last year.
''There were a number of players approached,'' Australian
Cricket Board chief executive Graham Halbish told Reuters.
Halbish would not confirm a report on Saturday by the Sydney
Morning Herald newspaper that spin twins Shane Warne and Tim May
had rejected an offer of US$50,000 to throw the first test march
against Pakistan in Karachi.
He confirmed that the bribe offer was made before the first
test, which Pakistan won by one wicket, and said the Australian
cricket authorities were deeply worried by it.
Halbish said in a statement the Australian authorities had asked
the London-based International Cricket Conference (ICC), the
sport's top governing body, to investigate.
''The ACB is very concerned about the allegations of attempted
*** during the Pakistan tour,'' he said.
''I have spoken with team manager Colin Egar and coach Bob
Simpson and we are all absolutely confident that none of our
players, whether approached or not, has ever taken a bribe,''
''The allegations have been discussed with ICC chief executive
David Richards, who has been informed that we the ACB believes it
is a matter that should be dealt with by the ICC.''
The Sydney Morning Herald alleged that a prominent Pakistani
cricket personality had attempted to bribe Warne and May.
''The attempted bribe was rejected out of hand by Warne and
May,'' the newspaper said. It did not identify the Pakistani.
''It is understood another offer of a bribe was made before the
third and final test in Lahore, which ended in a draw,'' the
It said that offer, of which it gave no further details, was
The newspaper said Australian team manager Colin Egar had denied
knowledge of which players were the target of the alleged bribe
''I was informed that it was knocked back and the blokes,
whoever they were, turned around and said 'Piss off','' Egar was
quoted as saying.
Egar added he believed the offer was for ''more than US
''Another senior Australian cricket official this week
confirmed to the Herald that Warne and May were the two players
approached,'' the newspaper said.
Neither Warne nor May were immediately available for comment.