Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Arti » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:04:14


One for Aslam:
  This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

[artist]

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Matt van de Werke » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:41:54

Quote:

> One for Aslam:
>   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
> the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
> Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

> [artist]

For ODI cricket:

Michael Gwyl Bevan has averaged over 50 since 1994/95, a total of 192
consecutive matches. If he's allowed to have an undefined average, without
being dismissed while scoring less than 50 runs, it goes back to his 9th
match, for a total of 196 consecutive matches, or 172 innings (and
counting).

For Test Cricket:

Look up Hammond, Headley, Bradman, Sobers, Waugh, Border, IVAR, Chappell
for players to have averaged over 50/60 for long periods.

SRW has averaged over 50 for the last 101 1/2 tests, or 161 innings. He
had a period of 70 tests (113 innings), from T4 vs Eng 1993 to T3 vs
India, 99/2000 where his average over that period didn't drop below 60.

Bradman averaged over 60 for the last 51 tests (78 innings) of his 52-test
career.

Cheers,
MvdW

--
   Matt van de Werken - cricket, linux, electronics enthusiast
Linux 2.4.19 - Dual Athlon MP1800+ -- Tue, 01 Apr 2003  8:23PM
Murphy's Law is recursive.  Washing your car to make it rain doesn't
work.

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Mad Hamis » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:23:45

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:41:54 +1000, Matt van de Werken

Quote:


>> One for Aslam:
>>   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
>> the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
>> Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

>> [artist]

>For ODI cricket:

>Michael Gwyl Bevan has averaged over 50 since 1994/95, a total of 192
>consecutive matches. If he's allowed to have an undefined average, without
>being dismissed while scoring less than 50 runs, it goes back to his 9th
>match, for a total of 196 consecutive matches, or 172 innings (and
>counting).

>For Test Cricket:

>Look up Hammond, Headley, Bradman, Sobers, Waugh, Border, IVAR, Chappell
>for players to have averaged over 50/60 for long periods.

Border averaged over 50 from his 70th test until his career finished
after his 156th test.

That's 86 tests

Gavaskar averaged over 50 from his 40th test until his career finished
at 125 tests.
85 tests.

However the winner appears to be Javed Miandad who averaged over 50
over his entire test career, that's 124 tests

The only players who've played more than 124 tests are
Border, Waugh, Walsh, Kapil Dev, Waugh (2) Stewart, Gavaskar,

We can rule Walsh out straight away and I don't think Kapil, Stewart
or Mark Waugh ever had their averages over 50 for long.

Steve Waugh's slow start rules him out, I've already checked Gavaskar
and Border so it's certainly Miandad.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws


 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Aslam Siddiq » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 00:09:24

Quote:

> One for Aslam:
>   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
> the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
> Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

> [artist]

 This query has been answered by others. I wanted to add a somewhat
unusual stat for Border. He once maintained his batting average at 50
or better for 21 Test matches WITHOUT scoring a century. He scored 80
against England at Manchester in 1989 in his 106th Test match and went
on to score five more fifties in next five innings. He maintained a
batting average of 50.00 over the next 20 Tests, finally dropping
below that against India (0 & 5*) at Melbourne in 1990-91. During this
span his highest individual score was 85. His cumulative
record from 106th to 126th match (v Ind, Brisbane, 1990-91),
inclusive, was:

Ms  Inns NOs  Runs   Avrge  HS  100/50
21   32   7   1284   51.36  85    -/13

aslam
GO PACERS!!!

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Arti » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:43:16

Quote:

> One for Aslam:
>   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
> the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
> Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

> [artist]

May be I am looking for threshold for some magic number of runs where
around 25-30 batsman may qualify or may restrict the number of innings
to find the best time period of the batsman.

So let's say:
The best 20 consecutive innings avergage for a batsman
or
Most consecutive odi innings with batting average of 60+ or 65+
 ( I remmeber Lanse Klunsner in last worldcup)

artist.

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by john cla » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 07:30:46

Quote:


> > One for Aslam:
> >   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
> > the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
> > Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

> > [artist]
> May be I am looking for threshold for some magic number of runs where
> around 25-30 batsman may qualify or may restrict the number of innings
> to find the best time period of the batsman.

> So let's say:
> The best 20 consecutive innings avergage for a batsman
> or
> Most consecutive odi innings with batting average of 60+ or 65+
>  ( I remmeber Lanse Klunsner in last worldcup)

> artist.

I posted this in 1997 - it does not answer your direct question, but
is a similar statisitc to what you are after.  This is the best
averages over a four-or-more-year period by a batsman (with a minimum
of 1500 runs).  Obviously some batsmen have several 4 year periods
which could fit into the list, but I have picked their best 4-year
period.  I guess this shows the players who were in very good form for
a significant period of time (i.e. not just one or two series).  I
have not updated the list because my software died  :-(   As you said,
coming up with these numbers is tricky - you need a computer program
to cycle through all the possibilities.

 1   107.5  Bradman_DG  1930-47
 2    77.6  Sobers_GStA  1958-62
 3    74.8  Waugh_SR  1993-97
 4    73.8  Richards_IVA 1976-81
 5    73.3  Hammond_WR  1927-33
 6    71.2  Hutton_L  1949-54
 7    70.5  Barrington_KF 1961-65
 8    70.3  Walcott_CL  1952-58
 9    69.7  Sutcliffe_H  1924-28
      67.4  Tendulkar_SR 1992-96
10    67.1  Compton_DCS  1939-48
11    67.0  Hobbs_JB  1921-28
12    66.3  Weekes_EdeC  1948-56
13    65.3  Boycott_G  1970-77
      64.4  Pollock_RG  1964-70
14    62.7  Cowdrey_MC  1962-66
      62.6  Lara_BC  1990-94
      62.4  Javed_Miandad   1976-80
15    62.1  Border_AR  1983-88
16    61.8  Hendren_EH  1924-30
17    61.7  Chappell_GS  1972-76
18    61.6  Lloyd_CH  1981-85
      61.6  Zaheer_Abbas 1980-84
19    61.1  Gavaskar_SM  1976-80
20    60.8  Headley_GA  1930-39
21    60.8  Harvey_RN  1948-52
      60.1  Hanif_Mohammad  1956-60
22    59.8  Morris_AR  1946-50
      59.7  Imran_Khan  1987-91
23    59.4  May_PBH  1955-59
24    59.3  Nourse_AD  1935-48
25    59.2  Simpson_RB  1964-77
26    59.1  Gooch_GA  1990-94
27    57.5  Amiss_DL  1973-77
28    56.3  Greenidge_CG 1980-84
29    56.0  Kanhai_RB  1958-63
30    55.8  Lawry_WM  1964-68
31    55.7  Azharuddin_MA 1986-90
32    55.7  Gatting_MW  1984-88
33    55.5  Mitchell_B  1935-48
34    55.4  Boon_DC  1990-94
35    55.4  Dexter_ER  1961-65
36    55.0  Hassett_AL  1946-51
37    54.9  McCabe_SJ  1932-38
38    54.8  Richardson_RB 1988-92
39    54.3  Smith_RA  1988-92
40    54.2  Amarnath_M  1982-86

(Note also that this is only test cricket).

John Clark

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Raghu Jetle » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:19:09

Quote:

> I posted this in 1997

[snip]

Quote:
>  9    69.7  Sutcliffe_H  1924-28
>       67.4  Tendulkar_SR 1992-96

Tendulkar has beaten this after 1997.

From 1997/01/01 to 2001/01/01
he averages 67.55
From 1998/01/01 to 2002/01/01
he averages 67.61

And if you are also looking at non-calender year stuff,
Between 1997-03-10& 2001-03-10, he averaged
69.71

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Arti » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:05:54

Quote:



> > > One for Aslam:
> > >   This ***y may be little tricky because it can happen anywhere in
> > > the batsmans career. This will allow occasional slip by batsman, ex..
> > > Tendulkar in NZ (recently) and still prove their being the best.

> > > [artist]
> > May be I am looking for threshold for some magic number of runs where
> > around 25-30 batsman may qualify or may restrict the number of innings
> > to find the best time period of the batsman.

> > So let's say:
> > The best 20 consecutive innings avergage for a batsman
> > or
> > Most consecutive odi innings with batting average of 60+ or 65+
> >  ( I remmeber Lanse Klunsner in last worldcup)

> > artist.

> I posted this in 1997 - it does not answer your direct question, but
> is a similar statisitc to what you are after.  This is the best
> averages over a four-or-more-year period by a batsman (with a minimum
> of 1500 runs).  Obviously some batsmen have several 4 year periods
> which could fit into the list, but I have picked their best 4-year
> period.  I guess this shows the players who were in very good form for
> a significant period of time (i.e. not just one or two series).  I
> have not updated the list because my software died  :-(   As you said,
> coming up with these numbers is tricky - you need a computer program
> to cycle through all the possibilities.

>  1   107.5  Bradman_DG  1930-47
>  2    77.6  Sobers_GStA  1958-62
>  3    74.8  Waugh_SR  1993-97
>  4    73.8  Richards_IVA 1976-81
>  5    73.3  Hammond_WR  1927-33
>  6    71.2  Hutton_L  1949-54
>  7    70.5  Barrington_KF 1961-65
>  8    70.3  Walcott_CL  1952-58
>  9    69.7  Sutcliffe_H  1924-28
>       67.4  Tendulkar_SR 1992-96
> 10    67.1  Compton_DCS  1939-48
> 11    67.0  Hobbs_JB  1921-28
> 12    66.3  Weekes_EdeC  1948-56
> 13    65.3  Boycott_G  1970-77
>       64.4  Pollock_RG  1964-70
> 14    62.7  Cowdrey_MC  1962-66
>       62.6  Lara_BC  1990-94
>       62.4  Javed_Miandad   1976-80
> 15    62.1  Border_AR  1983-88
> 16    61.8  Hendren_EH  1924-30
> 17    61.7  Chappell_GS  1972-76
> 18    61.6  Lloyd_CH  1981-85
>       61.6  Zaheer_Abbas 1980-84
> 19    61.1  Gavaskar_SM  1976-80
> 20    60.8  Headley_GA  1930-39
> 21    60.8  Harvey_RN  1948-52
>       60.1  Hanif_Mohammad  1956-60
> 22    59.8  Morris_AR  1946-50
>       59.7  Imran_Khan  1987-91
> 23    59.4  May_PBH  1955-59
> 24    59.3  Nourse_AD  1935-48
> 25    59.2  Simpson_RB  1964-77
> 26    59.1  Gooch_GA  1990-94
> 27    57.5  Amiss_DL  1973-77
> 28    56.3  Greenidge_CG 1980-84
> 29    56.0  Kanhai_RB  1958-63
> 30    55.8  Lawry_WM  1964-68
> 31    55.7  Azharuddin_MA 1986-90
> 32    55.7  Gatting_MW  1984-88
> 33    55.5  Mitchell_B  1935-48
> 34    55.4  Boon_DC  1990-94
> 35    55.4  Dexter_ER  1961-65
> 36    55.0  Hassett_AL  1946-51
> 37    54.9  McCabe_SJ  1932-38
> 38    54.8  Richardson_RB 1988-92
> 39    54.3  Smith_RA  1988-92
> 40    54.2  Amarnath_M  1982-86

> (Note also that this is only test cricket).

> John Clark

Wow, Thanks John,
 This is really great.
 It shows the various *** bastsman through out the history of
cricket.
 It tells us that in his time, Steve Waugh has performed better than
tendulkar.
 It also puts IVA Rechards ahead of Tendulkar. Gavaskar is way down
the list.

John,
I wonder how your software died.. I may be able to re-write the
software if you have data source.

Artist.

 
 
 

Question:Most consecutive test/odi innings with batting avg of 60/50+

Post by Uday Raja » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:38:29

Quote:


> > I posted this in 1997 - it does not answer your direct question, but
> > is a similar statisitc to what you are after.  This is the best
> > averages over a four-or-more-year period by a batsman (with a minimum
> > of 1500 runs).  Obviously some batsmen have several 4 year periods
> > which could fit into the list, but I have picked their best 4-year
> > period.  I guess this shows the players who were in very good form for
> > a significant period of time (i.e. not just one or two series).  I
> > have not updated the list because my software died  :-(   As you said,
> > coming up with these numbers is tricky - you need a computer program
> > to cycle through all the possibilities.

> >  1   107.5  Bradman_DG  1930-47
> >  2    77.6  Sobers_GStA  1958-62
> >  3    74.8  Waugh_SR  1993-97
> >  4    73.8  Richards_IVA 1976-81
> >  5    73.3  Hammond_WR  1927-33
> >  6    71.2  Hutton_L  1949-54
> >  7    70.5  Barrington_KF 1961-65
> >  8    70.3  Walcott_CL  1952-58
> >  9    69.7  Sutcliffe_H  1924-28
> >       67.4  Tendulkar_SR 1992-96
> > 10    67.1  Compton_DCS  1939-48
> > 11    67.0  Hobbs_JB  1921-28
> > 12    66.3  Weekes_EdeC  1948-56
> > 13    65.3  Boycott_G  1970-77
> >       64.4  Pollock_RG  1964-70
> > 14    62.7  Cowdrey_MC  1962-66
> >       62.6  Lara_BC  1990-94
> >       62.4  Javed_Miandad   1976-80
> > 15    62.1  Border_AR  1983-88
> > 16    61.8  Hendren_EH  1924-30
> > 17    61.7  Chappell_GS  1972-76
> > 18    61.6  Lloyd_CH  1981-85
> >       61.6  Zaheer_Abbas 1980-84
> > 19    61.1  Gavaskar_SM  1976-80
> > 20    60.8  Headley_GA  1930-39
> > 21    60.8  Harvey_RN  1948-52
> >       60.1  Hanif_Mohammad  1956-60
> > 22    59.8  Morris_AR  1946-50
> >       59.7  Imran_Khan  1987-91
> > 23    59.4  May_PBH  1955-59
> > 24    59.3  Nourse_AD  1935-48
> > 25    59.2  Simpson_RB  1964-77
> > 26    59.1  Gooch_GA  1990-94
> > 27    57.5  Amiss_DL  1973-77
> > 28    56.3  Greenidge_CG 1980-84
> > 29    56.0  Kanhai_RB  1958-63
> > 30    55.8  Lawry_WM  1964-68
> > 31    55.7  Azharuddin_MA 1986-90
> > 32    55.7  Gatting_MW  1984-88
> > 33    55.5  Mitchell_B  1935-48
> > 34    55.4  Boon_DC  1990-94
> > 35    55.4  Dexter_ER  1961-65
> > 36    55.0  Hassett_AL  1946-51
> > 37    54.9  McCabe_SJ  1932-38
> > 38    54.8  Richardson_RB 1988-92
> > 39    54.3  Smith_RA  1988-92
> > 40    54.2  Amarnath_M  1982-86

>  It shows the various *** bastsman through out the history of
> cricket.
>  It tells us that in his time, Steve Waugh has performed better than
> tendulkar.
>  It also puts IVA Rechards ahead of Tendulkar. Gavaskar is way down
> the list.

Worth remembering that these batsmen played different
numbers of Tests over their respective years. For example,
Simpson 1964-77 is factually correct, I'm sure, but Simpson
had retired in 1968, and unretired in 1977. He played 31
Tests between 1964 and 1977 (I'm not sure if the streak is
beginning of a calendar year to end of calendar year, or
just a 4-year or longer span in that period).

Similarly, Viv Richards did not play any Tests (due to the
WI board falling out with its Packer players) for about a
year and a half, from March 1978 to November 1979 or
thereabouts. Richards, of course, had a phenomenal 1976,
scoring 1710 runs in 11 Tests that year (!). Still the most
runs ever scored in a calendar year by one player, though
others have since played more Tests. He played 35 Tests from
1976 to 1981 (Jan 1976 to Dec 1981, that is). Richards in
that period was simply phenomenal, arguably the best batting
we've seen in the post-WWII period.

Many players of earlier eras, including Herb Sutcliffe and
Graeme Pollock (very different earlier eras) would have
played relatively few Tests in a four or five year span. In
terms of number of Tests played, I suspect Bradman stands
out; take out either his debut Test or his last Test, and he
has a 51-Test streak with an average over 100.

Gavaskar played 43 Tests from Jan 1976 to Dec 1980, and
another 12 before Dec 1981. Mohinder Amarnath, last name on
the list, gets a special mention for managing to play 8
innings for 12 runs (including a 1 run in 6 innings salvo in
there) during his streak, in 1983-84.