SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Bill O'Bria » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00


25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
186* Vs NZ
140* Vs Kenya
120 Vs SL
85 Vs Zim
contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Tony Vinaya » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hmmm...those numbers are telling a tale!

cheers


Quote:
> 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> 186* Vs NZ
> 140* Vs Kenya
> 120 Vs SL
> 85 Vs Zim
> contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
*
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!


 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by john100 » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 07:14:02 -0800 Bill O'Brian

Quote:

> 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> 186* Vs NZ
> 140* Vs Kenya
> 120 Vs SL
> 85 Vs Zim
> contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

Er.....never lets stats cloud the complete and the whole truth. It is
great to remove the high scores of a bat and say that he has averaged
badly in the rest of his knocks. Which in fact set me thinking and
provides the following illuminating figures :

Gavaskar, career average 51.12, Runs 10122.
Games in which he had 100's & 50's contributed a whopping 8516 runs
towards that.

21 odd.

Closer home, Rahul Dravid in Odi's since Jan 1999 averages 45 odd.
Remove the games in which he had his 100's & 50's and that gives 29

Lara, save for those 3 100's against Aus has done nothing of note this
past year. Remove that and you would find him languishing below and
average of 20 in the rest of his knocks.

Which, brings me to my point.....if one cares to dredge up such figures
on every bat worth his salt, one would find them averaging ridiculously
low without the gainful advantage of their high scores.

Regards,
J

--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Ravi Krishn » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 07:14:02 -0800 Bill O'Brian

> > 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> > 186* Vs NZ
> > 140* Vs Kenya
> > 120 Vs SL
> > 85 Vs Zim
> > contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> > Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

> Er.....never lets stats cloud the complete and the whole truth. It is
> great to remove the high scores of a bat and say that he has averaged
> badly in the rest of his knocks. Which in fact set me thinking and
> provides the following illuminating figures :

> Gavaskar, career average 51.12, Runs 10122.
> Games in which he had 100's & 50's contributed a whopping 8516 runs
> towards that.

> 21 odd.

Brilliant logic !!!!!
SMG's 100s and 50s were not scored against Kenya/Zim/SL.
The figuers mentioned above by Bill-O-Brian reflects that SRT's big knocks
this year came against third rate attacks and/or flat tracks.
When the poster said "Rest 21 knocks avging 15", it means against better
attacks.

Anyhow this is ODI and I hardly care about it.

RK-

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Sundarraman Subramania » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> 186* Vs NZ
> 140* Vs Kenya
> 120 Vs SL
> 85 Vs Zim
> contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

Agreed that 1999 was a poor year for SRT in ODIs. I am not too elated
by those high scores against mediocre attacks. However, AMN, we would
appreciate at least one word of praise, from you, for SRT's showing
in Tests :-) This hasn't been forthcoming from you (or has it?) so
far. I mean, you have accepted that personally through email, but it
would be great to do that in RSC too :-) I guess you are happy to have
still gotten some chance to bash him.

So, let me egg you on: What do you think of that 116 scored against a
classy attack comprising of
1) the world's best fast bowler (who's comparable with the best of any era)
2) the world's best spinner (who's comparable with the best spinner of any era)
3) the world's (legally) fastest bowler (who is comparable to the fastest
in any era). In addition, that innings was scored  
4) on a bouncy pitch
5) when the team needed it, being in dire 11 for 2  
6) when all the others around him failed.
Moreover, that innings saved India from following on.

I agree with some of your statements, in a previous post, on his captaincy.
He should be removed from captaincy with immediate effect. He should
also be told to give ODIs the miss. What are we going to gain by a few
more centuries from his bat (this presuppposes that he can do that,
which you may well disagree with judging from the way you have taken fresh
guard at bashing him) in that version of cricket?  

Sundar

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Mad Hami » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Which, brings me to my point.....if one cares to dredge up such figures
>on every bat worth his salt, one would find them averaging ridiculously
>low without the gainful advantage of their high scores.

iirc Bradman averaged about 34 in tests without his 100s...

****************************************************************************
The Politician's Slogan
'You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all
of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Fortunately only a simple majority is required.'
****************************************************************************

Mad Hamish

Hamish Laws


 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Shiv » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> >25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> >186* Vs NZ
> >140* Vs Kenya

> This really shouldn't count. There's something wrong if these make it into
> the official records.

Why ?

--
regards,
Shiva

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Andrew Vallne » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
>186* Vs NZ
>140* Vs Kenya

This really shouldn't count. There's something wrong if these make it into
the official records.

Quote:
>120 Vs SL
>85 Vs Zim
>contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

>Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

Wog
 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Shridha » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> 186* Vs NZ
> 140* Vs Kenya
> 120 Vs SL
> 85 Vs Zim
> contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

Another stat-monger to the core making a case against SRT in vain!

How about doing a similar analysis for Ganguly and Dravid?
Do you count Ganguly's 183 against useless SL attack great?

Bottomline, elaborate Ganguly's and Dravid's match-winning(and not
useless) hundreds vis-a-vis India's ODI record in 1999. And lets see how
many of them were scored for Indian wins during a run-chase??

You will get your answer there.

BTW, SRT missed many onedayers in 1999 at home where Ganguly and Dravid
made mince-meats of useless SL and Eng attacks and inflated their avgs
for 1999. But again, did India win any of the ODI tournaments where
Ganguly or Dravid made hundreds?

Shridhar

"Most of the matches in WC were played on good batting tracks".

--
"East or West Aggy is the best"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Shridha » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> I agree with some of your statements, in a previous post, on his
captaincy.
> He should be removed from captaincy with immediate effect.

That Sachin is biased and his bias reminds of Gavaskar's era is the
biggest crime a keen follower of Indian cricket can commit. Either you
have not followed Indian cricket closely or you are shooting off
whatever comes to your mind however unreasonable it might be.

If Sachin was silent on Azhar, he had a valid reason since Azhar has
done nothing in 199 to warrant his inclusion the team for the Aus tour.
Even is you consider his experience, he averaged around 20 in the last
tour of Aus. Rather try youngsters who might hit the jackpot. Now don't
give hindight comments that none clicked. Its not Sachin's fault that
Azhar is wanting to be in the team even when age and performance are not
on his side.

As regards Dighe, he was the Ind A wk for jeez sake and not picked up
from Mumbai. If Sachin dosen't feel good about Mongia(which could be
valid considering Mongia is no great shakes against pace bowling which
we all know) he has full right to try a new wk and Dighe was already
knocking the doors.

As far as Agarkar is concerned, we all know how he performed in the Test
series.(better than experienced pros like Srinath and Prasad in his
debut series).

Now, tell me how is he biased in supporting players from Mumbai. Wasn't
he the captain when his school chum Kambli ultimately lost his place in
the Indian team?? Wasn't he the captain when Manjrekar too quit
International cricket? Did he ask for any under-performing Mumbai
players during his first stint as captain? Maybe he should be like
Gavaskar and force the exclusion of Dravid from one Test a la Kapil!!!
The problem is SRT is too good a person for many narrow-minded Indian
fans to see his greatness. He really can't help it if Indian fans look
to juvenile accusations for the pathetic performance of the team! Its
said that nice people don't have a place in today's world, probably
thats the case with Sachin.

Shridhar

"How do people assume that all players from Mumbai are biased".

--
"East or West Aggy is the best"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Autism » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

>Gavaskar, career average 51.12, Runs 10122.
>Games in which he had 100's & 50's contributed a whopping 8516 runs
>towards that.

>21 odd.

"Er.....never lets stats cloud the complete and the whole truth.".

If you remove games where he scores 50 or more, then the
maximum score in the remaining games has to be 49. Assuming
an equal spread of scores, one would expect an average
of 24.5. So what does your statistic show then ?

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by cricketwal.. » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

> > 25 matches 3 100s 1 50 avg 37.8
> > 186* Vs NZ
> > 140* Vs Kenya
> > 120 Vs SL
> > 85 Vs Zim
> > contributing 531 runs in 869 runs in that period.

> > Rest 21 knocks avging 15.

> Agreed that 1999 was a poor year for SRT in ODIs. I am not too elated
> by those high scores against mediocre attacks. However, AMN, we would
> appreciate at least one word of praise, from you, for SRT's showing
> in Tests :-) This hasn't been forthcoming from you (or has it?) so

........

Quote:

> I agree with some of your statements, in a previous post, on his
captaincy.
> He should be removed from captaincy with immediate effect. He should
> also be told to give ODIs the miss. What are we going to gain by a
few
> more centuries from his bat (this presuppposes that he can do that,
> which you may well disagree with judging from the way you have taken
fresh
> guard at bashing him) in that version of cricket?

Heh :-) So what happens if we change the topic to "Dravid's batting
since Jan 1999 in tests" ? :-) We get:

Overall:
11 matches, 21 innings, 894 runs, 4 hundreds, 1 fifty, avg 44.70

190   vs NZ
103*  vs NZ
107   vs SL
144   vs NZ

contributing 544 out of 894 runs in this period.

vs NZ/SL: 5 tests, 9 inns, 1 n.o., 639 runs, 4 tons, avg 79.88

vs "other" attacks (Pakistan and Australia):

6 tests, 12 innings, 255 runs, 0 hundreds, 1 fifty, avg 21.25

Are you going to say "he should give tests a miss, Iam not too elated
with his high scores against mediocre attacks" ? :-)

For the record,  the above is *just* to do a compare-and-contrast - to
make a point :-) As I said before in a different thread, I *dont* think
Dravid should be dropped. I dont think we should even consider him on
shaky ground (as I happened to argue with Karthik in another thread).

Dravid has had ill-fortune this year - some bad luck, a run of poor
form at an inopportune time. But he remains, IMHO, the second best
batsman we have in test cricket - and will be one of our best bats of
all-time by the time he bows out of international cricket (again IMHO).
He has proved himself and demonstrated he is a class player at the
international level, and a star test performer. And he isnt old or past
it yet. That is sufficient. He should be (as he is) a fixture in the
side - to even consider dropping him at the moment would be monstrously
stupid, IMHO.

And the same, of course, goes for SRT in ODIs :-) With 7 more tons in
ODIs than anyone else in history, he's probably earned some leniency
for a period of bad form, no? ;-)

Sadiq [ who do you replace SRT with at opener when he
      goes on a "sabbatical" anyway? Debang Gandhi? :-)] Yusuf

Quote:
> Sundar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Bill O'Bria » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:


> > Rest 21 knocks avging 15.
> Agreed that 1999 was a poor year for SRT in ODIs. I am not too
> elated
> by those high scores against mediocre attacks. However, AMN, we
> would
> appreciate at least one word of praise, from you, for SRT's
> showing
> in Tests :-) This hasn't been forthcoming from you (or has it?) so

This looks rather funny to me. If you really want me to talk on  how
well SRT did it must be in a thread related to Tests. In any case since
you seem to be hell bent right now:- I have no real problems in saying
SRT batted great in Tests.

Quote:
> far. I mean, you have accepted that personally through email, but
> it
> would be great to do that in RSC too :-).

Jesus Christ. First of all you sent a personal mail. I responded to
it privately. If you had started the thread in rsc while I was around I
would have responded to it in rsc. Or did you expect me start a thread
in response to that mail ?? You must have explicitly said that. I too
would have started a thread "Let's praise SRT" to prove my secular
credentials :-).

Quote:
> I guess you are happy to
> have
> still gotten some chance to bash him.

B.S. SRT played politics. So I bashed him for it. On top of it
people want to talk ***about openning and middle order for SRT's
failures. Some months back people were bashing Azhar for his
reflexes and fielding. Now what about SRT's fielding ? No one bashes
SRT for his fielding. People said Azhar did not lead from front as if
SRT did it in RSA '97 ?

Quote:
> So, let me egg you on: What do you think of that 116 scored
> against a
> classy attack comprising of
> 1) the world's best fast bowler (who's comparable with the best of
> any era)

Sure it was a superb performance.

Quote:
> 2) the world's best spinner (who's comparable with the best
> spinner of any era)

I don't want to say anything on this. I have never questioned SRT's
competence against spin. I think I had acknoledged his batting
against Warne sometime back.

Quote:
> 3) the world's (legally) fastest bowler (who is comparable to the
> fastest
> in any era). In addition, that innings was scored
> 4) on a bouncy pitch
> 5) when the team needed it, being in dire 11 for 2
> 6) when all the others around him failed.

See, it was one hell of a knock. I have no problems in saying so.  But
surely this is not the thread this should be addressed. I really can't
believe this.

* Sent from RemarQ http://SportToday.org/ The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by Bill O'Bria » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> Heh :-) So what happens if we change the topic to "Dravid's batting
> since Jan 1999 in tests" ? :-) We get:
> Overall:
> 11 matches, 21 innings, 894 runs, 4 hundreds, 1 fifty, avg 44.70
> 190   vs NZ
> 103*  vs NZ
> 107   vs SL
> 144   vs NZ
> contributing 544 out of 894 runs in this period.
> vs NZ/SL: 5 tests, 9 inns, 1 n.o., 639 runs, 4 tons, avg 79.88
> vs "other" attacks (Pakistan and Australia):
> 6 tests, 12 innings, 255 runs, 0 hundreds, 1 fifty, avg 21.25
> Are you going to say "he should give tests a miss, Iam not too
> elated
> with his high scores against mediocre attacks" ? :-)

In fact Dravid has been doing badly in Tests offlate. If he continues
this way he needs to be dropped. You can't have one rule
for Azhar and one for the rest.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

SRT's batting since Jan 1999 in ODIs

Post by pratik bhattacharje » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> BTW, SRT missed many onedayers in 1999 at home where Ganguly and Dravid
> made mince-meats of useless SL and Eng attacks and inflated their avgs
> for 1999.

More lies.

First he says I highlighted 'Ganguly's captaincy against Kenya', and now
this.

The series Ind vs. SL vs Eng in 1999 was played at Sharjah (home to this
gentleman) and these were the avgs of Ganguly and Dravid in that series:

Ganguly 21.25    which 'inflated' his overall average of 42.73
Dravid  37.60    which 'inflated' his overall average of 37.46

Yet another attempt by Mr. Shridhar2000 to assert his point by giving
misleading and false statements. RSC'ians take note of this.

Regards,
Pratik