Wisden Cricket Almanac

Wisden Cricket Almanac

Post by Tim Stephe » Wed, 02 May 1990 01:33:51


Having just had a try at the quiz recently posted to this group,
without the aid of any reference materials, I got to thinking
about the Wisdens left behind in England.  (For those not familiar
this is an annual publication that brings together results and
descriptions from the polglot world of cricket, including the
public schools, village competitions in England, and various other
sundries.)  Is there a publication like this in other countries?
Does Aus have a Spofforth, or somesuch started by an early cricketer/
merchant?  Is Wisden still going, and if so what is the number of the
present edition?

tim stephens
unc-ch

 
 
 

Wisden Cricket Almanac

Post by Krishnan Seetharam » Fri, 04 May 1990 01:39:41

Quote:

>Having just had a try at the quiz recently posted to this group,
>Does Aus have a Spofforth, or somesuch started by an early cricketer/
>merchant?  Is Wisden still going, and if so what is the number of the
>present edition?

Australia ha the Benson & Hedges Year Book. This one is pretty decent
with lots of good pictures and makes a good companion to the Wisden.
India has the Cricketer (I think !) published by The Hindu. This is
also pretty comprehensive.

Talking of statistics, while i was in india, we had computerized
the entire cricket stats (both test and one day, tests from 1877 and
one day from 1971). We used it for TV coverage of the cricket matches.
A statistical model was also designed to find the best players, teams
etc.. For those interested this came out in a book "Between the
Wickets" by Surjit S. Bhalla, published by Thompson Press, New
Delhi, India. The last I heard it was going to be published in England
also. This model takes both the qualitative and quantitative aspects
into account while computing the rankings. For example a century
against WI would have more "weightage" than say SL. Also the pitch
conditions, weather conditions etc.. are all built in. Turned out that
using that we could predict with a 60 % accuracy. the result of a
test match *before* it began.

BTW, does the Deolite (sp) ranknigs still come out every year. Who is
on the top now ?

seethu


Graphics Research Laboratory     | Tel   : 508-934-3612
Department of Computer Science   |
University of Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854.

 
 
 

Wisden Cricket Almanac

Post by P. Tripath » Wed, 09 May 1990 06:19:09

Quote:

>also. This model takes both the qualitative and quantitative aspects

       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
>into account while computing the rankings. For example a century
>against WI would have more "weightage" than say SL. Also the pitch
>conditions, weather conditions etc.. are all built in. Turned out that
>using that we could predict with a 60 % accuracy. the result of a
>test match *before* it began.

For some tests, you may have to take the "umpiring" factor into account.
Just a thought!

Ramu