All Caution & No play makes Aus a very dull team

All Caution & No play makes Aus a very dull team

Post by RoshanC » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00


43 overs 97 runs for 8 wickets, I dont understand Australia's strategy. They
neither scored runs nor protected wickets. And to think they *have* to win this
match

What was Ricky trying to prove by scoring a 21 of 82 balls. How did that
defensive play help Australia?, I'm yet to comprehend

The only thing that can be deduced from this is Aus is very very scared of
Lara. They dont even want to set a target of 450 in 150 overs to Lara

Also Windies should always look to chase that 388 runs, it can be done .But if
they chose to play for draw then they will doomed much earlier.

Cheers,
Rosh

 
 
 

All Caution & No play makes Aus a very dull team

Post by Ram Tekumall » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> 43 overs 97 runs for 8 wickets, I dont understand Australia's strategy. They
> neither scored runs nor protected wickets. And to think they *have* to win this
> match

I suppose it was to play till a certain time and build upon the excellent start.

Quote:

> What was Ricky trying to prove by scoring a 21 of 82 balls. How did that
> defensive play help Australia?, I'm yet to comprehend

Like I said, in biding time. Since the lead was good anyways, they probably figured
Lara will go for it given a challenging timeframe.

Quote:

> The only thing that can be deduced from this is Aus is very very scared of
> Lara. They dont even want to set a target of 450 in 150 overs to Lara

Rightly so! It makes sense that you shd be scred of an in-form bat that just scored
a double hundred and two hundreds, and turned the fortunes around. Ah, but now Lara
is gone and if they can get Pad-'ems and Hooper, they retain the trophy.

Quote:

> Also Windies should always look to chase that 388 runs, it can be done .But if
> they chose to play for draw then they will doomed much earlier.

The strategy falls in place now?

-Ram

 
 
 

All Caution & No play makes Aus a very dull team

Post by Timmy the Mediocr » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>43 overs 97 runs for 8 wickets, I dont understand Australia's strategy.
They
>neither scored runs nor protected wickets. And to think they *have* to win
this
>match

>What was Ricky trying to prove by scoring a 21 of 82 balls. How did that
>defensive play help Australia?, I'm yet to comprehend

And most of those came when he was finally left with just the dregs of the
tail. It was an extraordinarily dull and frustrating knock by Ponting. The
team needed runs, and as quick as possible. He was not in any trouble. No
demons in the pitch. Just seemed content to knock the ball around behind
square over and over and over and over.....A bit of risk, coming down the
wicket, manufacturing a shot  was needed, I am at a complete loss as to the
strategy of his knock. It was perhaps the weakest effort in a weak effort.
Only Langer and Healy seemed to bat with any plan.
Mystery number two came with the bowling of Greg Blewett late in the day.
W.I under pressure, Lara out, Hooper and Adams with their heads down, and on
comes Blewett's moderate medium pace in favour over MacGill, Dale and
McGrath.
  Of course, the joke's on me, because he got a wicket. But dare I suggest,
luck was the victor there.

Tim

Quote:

>The only thing that can be deduced from this is Aus is very very scared of
>Lara. They dont even want to set a target of 450 in 150 overs to Lara

>Also Windies should always look to chase that 388 runs, it can be done .But
if
>they chose to play for draw then they will doomed much earlier.

>Cheers,
>Rosh


 
 
 

All Caution & No play makes Aus a very dull team

Post by Jonty Hal » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Also Windies should always look to chase that 388 runs, it can be done .But
if
>they chose to play for draw then they will doomed much earlier.

>Cheers,
>Rosh

The West Indies already HAVE been playing for a draw for the last two days.

Jonty.