Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Don » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:57:04


My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
Dhaval Kulkarni.
Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
Pakistan at least.

Don

ps: Mumbai-UP final.....will be interesting to watch in the backdrop
of the recent MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry ;-)

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by dechuck » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:01:18


Quote:
> My answer is yes.

of course the answer is yes any team is "capable" of playing an
international team. If they do any good against them is the correct
question.

snip

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by jzfredrick » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:12:03


Quote:
> ps: Mumbai-UP final.....will be interesting to watch in the backdrop
> of the recent MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry ;-)

If by interesting you mean "watching someone score 180 in 820 minutes"
then yeah, perhaps. Or, on the otherhand, it might be as boring as
batshit.

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by JPD » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:19:42


Quote:
> My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> Dhaval Kulkarni.
> Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> Pakistan at least.

Surely they can, just as half of the Sheffield Shield teams would
dispose of West Indies, Bangladesh or New Zealand nine times out of
ten.

The biggest loss in the sport over the last 20 years is the extended
tour, where an international side would play 3 and 4-day matches
against provincial teams.  Australia on tour in England in 1993 played
15 first class fixtures and six Tests ... this year it will be three
first class games and five Tests.  Even in the Caribbean in 1995
Australia played three first class games alongside the four Tests, but
in 2008 there was just a single three-day match.

I well remember attending NSW matches against touring teams where NSW
was at full strength, with Waughs and McGrath and Lee playing.  Will
almost certainly never happen again, unless there is a change in the
philosophy at CA and other administrative bodies.

Properly promoted, any cricket match featuring players who are known
to the public *can* attract a crowd.  In Australia it is even easier
than some other countries, because tour matches can be taken to venues
outside the capital cities - plenty of cricket grounds in regional
cities that have good facilities - and half of the population of the
surrounding area will show up.  The obstacle is, of course, that the
primary revenue stream of cricket these days is television rights and
TV demands as much international cricket as possible.  Only 4% of CA's
revenue comes from gate receipts, so a 4th and 5th Test against South
Africa would have been just as lucrative as seven pyjama games, but TV
demands contests which will hold the viewers through to the end of
play.  As I said, it needs a change of philosophy.  It needs a
Gorbachev-like figure to emerge from the ranks of cricket
administrators, who are all singing from the same discordant hymn
sheet at the moment.

--

JPD

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by dechuck » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:40:06



Quote:
> My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> Dhaval Kulkarni.
> Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> Pakistan at least.

Surely they can, just as half of the Sheffield Shield teams would
dispose of West Indies, Bangladesh or New Zealand nine times out of
ten.

The biggest loss in the sport over the last 20 years is the extended
tour, where an international side would play 3 and 4-day matches
against provincial teams.  Australia on tour in England in 1993 played
15 first class fixtures and six Tests ... this year it will be three
first class games and five Tests.  Even in the Caribbean in 1995
Australia played three first class games alongside the four Tests, but
in 2008 there was just a single three-day match.

I well remember attending NSW matches against touring teams where NSW
was at full strength, with Waughs and McGrath and Lee playing.  Will
almost certainly never happen again, unless there is a change in the
philosophy at CA and other administrative bodies.

Properly promoted, any cricket match featuring players who are known
to the public *can* attract a crowd.  In Australia it is even easier
than some other countries, because tour matches can be taken to venues
outside the capital cities - plenty of cricket grounds in regional
cities that have good facilities - and half of the population of the
surrounding area will show up.  The obstacle is, of course, that the
primary revenue stream of cricket these days is television rights and
TV demands as much international cricket as possible.  Only 4% of CA's
revenue comes from gate receipts, so a 4th and 5th Test against South
Africa would have been just as lucrative as seven pyjama games, but TV
demands contests which will hold the viewers through to the end of
play.  As I said, it needs a change of philosophy.  It needs a
Gorbachev-like figure to emerge from the ranks of cricket
administrators, who are all singing from the same discordant hymn
sheet at the moment.
==========================================

I will be standing behind you singing
http://SportToday.org/***as we
overthrow the powers that be. Onward to to the rugby headquarters after our
coup to return full tours to the game they play in heaven

--

JPD

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Don » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:00:17


Quote:

> > ps: Mumbai-UP final.....will be interesting to watch in the backdrop
> > of the recent MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry ;-)

> If by interesting you mean "watching someone score 180 in 820 minutes"
> then yeah, perhaps. Or, on the otherhand, it might be as boring as
> batshit.

JZ you need a break. If you  understand diddly squat about what
i meant by MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry, either you ask what that
is or you just shut your trap. Don't try to act like a smartass on
every little
statement posted on rsc.

Don

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Amit » Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:45:33


Quote:


> > > ps: Mumbai-UP final.....will be interesting to watch in the backdrop
> > > of the recent MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry ;-)

> > If by interesting you mean "watching someone score 180 in 820 minutes"
> > then yeah, perhaps. Or, on the otherhand, it might be as boring as
> > batshit.

> JZ you need a break. If you ?understand diddly squat about what
> i meant by MarathiManoos-Bhaiyya rivalry, either you ask what that
> is or you just shut your trap. Don't try to act like a smartass on
> every little
> statement posted on rsc.

> Don

It certainly is. Thats the same thing which came to my mind when i saw
the lineup on tv.

Amit.

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Lenin Mara » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:06:04


Quote:
> My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> Dhaval Kulkarni.
> Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> Pakistan at least.

> Don

Let them actually beat Saurashtra first.
 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Don » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:35:44


Quote:


> > Dhaval Kulkarni.
> > Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> > Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> > Pakistan at least.

> > Don

> Let them actually beat Saurashtra first.

They would if only you CCs prepared a good wicket.

Don

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Lenin Mara » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:59:08


Quote:



> >My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> > > Dhaval Kulkarni.
> > > Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> > > Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> > > Pakistan at least.

> > > Don

> > Let them actually beat Saurashtra first.

> They would if only you CCs prepared a good wicket.

FYI, Mumbai has never beaten Saurashtra in a First Class Game
irrespective of where the match was played.
 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Larry DeSilv » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 03:18:17


Don says...

Quote:
>They would if only you CCs prepared a good wicket.

Posting hundreds of messages these days. Got Bangalored or what?

biju kai kaam nati ako divas aya beto re che

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Don » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 04:00:36


Quote:





> > >My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> > > > Dhaval Kulkarni.
> > > > Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> > > > Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> > > > Pakistan at least.

> > > > Don

> > > Let them actually beat Saurashtra first.

> > They would if only you CCs prepared a good wicket.

> FYI, Mumbai has never beaten Saurashtra in a First Class Game
> irrespective of where the match was played.- Hide quoted text -

That had nothing to do with the context of your statement though.

BTW, how many times Saurashtra have won the Ranjis? Care to comment?
Don't take useless coincidences and make a story out of it.

Don

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Don » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 04:02:37


Quote:

> Don says...

> >They would if only you CCs prepared a good wicket.

> Posting hundreds of messages these days. Got Bangalored or what?

How do u care Larryarse? AFAIK, Sri ***ers should not talk about IT
as they don't stand anywhere compared to India in that.

U better concentrate on how to disprove all those multitudes of
Chucking Merrilytharan baiters :)

Don

Quote:

> biju kai kaam nati ako divas aya beto re che

which lang. is this? swahili? getting lessons from southpaw in that?
 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Bobs » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 04:56:32


Quote:

> > My answer is yes. See the bowling attack of Zaheer, Agarkar, Powar and
> > Dhaval Kulkarni.
> > Batsmen like Tendulkar, Jaffer, Rohit Sharma, Muzumdar.

> > Surely they can give a fight to teams like West Indies, Sri Lanka,
> > Pakistan at least.

> Surely they can, just as half of the Sheffield Shield teams would
> dispose of West Indies, Bangladesh or New Zealand nine times out of
> ten.

I don't think so. They'd be a match, but hardly "nine times out of
ten" (apart from the Bungles)
Quote:

> The biggest loss in the sport over the last 20 years is the extended
> tour, where an international side would play 3 and 4-day matches
> against provincial teams. ?Australia on tour in England in 1993 played
> 15 first class fixtures and six Tests ... this year it will be three
> first class games and five Tests. ?Even in the Caribbean in 1995
> Australia played three first class games alongside the four Tests, but
> in 2008 there was just a single three-day match.

> I well remember attending NSW matches against touring teams where NSW
> was at full strength, with Waughs and McGrath and Lee playing. ?Will
> almost certainly never happen again, unless there is a change in the
> philosophy at CA and other administrative bodies.

> Properly promoted, any cricket match featuring players who are known
> to the public *can* attract a crowd. ?In Australia it is even easier
> than some other countries, because tour matches can be taken to venues
> outside the capital cities - plenty of cricket grounds in regional
> cities that have good facilities - and half of the population of the
> surrounding area will show up. ?The obstacle is, of course, that the
> primary revenue stream of cricket these days is television rights and
> TV demands as much international cricket as possible. ?Only 4% of CA's
> revenue comes from gate receipts, so a 4th and 5th Test against South
> Africa would have been just as lucrative as seven pyjama games, but TV
> demands contests which will hold the viewers through to the end of
> play. ?As I said, it needs a change of philosophy. ?It needs a
> Gorbachev-like figure to emerge from the ranks of cricket
> administrators, who are all singing from the same discordant hymn
> sheet at the moment.

> --

> JPD

 
 
 

Is this Mumbai team capable of playing an international team?

Post by Larry DeSilv » Sat, 10 Jan 2009 05:17:59


Don says...

Quote:
>> biju kai kaam nati ako divas aya beto re che

>which lang. is this? swahili? getting lessons from southpaw in that?

if this is swahili how are you sure that Southpaw (Samarth Harish Shaw)
is teaching me that. Does SHS know Swahili?

That clearly means that you know it is gujrati.