Cricket with South Africa

Cricket with South Africa

Post by Jude fernan » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 04:51:34


Reflections on Cricket with South Africa

 A few years ago, follwoing the tradition of penalizing those who "do
buisness" in South Africa, Sri lanka imposed a ban on Warnapura(Bernard
Perera etc) led Cricket team for their tour in South Africa.  Nothing has
changed in South Africa. Killings and other forms of human rights
violations have gotten worse.  The white regeim has intensified its
brutalities. Among the South Africans there is a deep sens of despire, and
feeling of betrayal by the Human-rights- loving "United Nations."  We have
seen that there is only there is nominal a claim for democracy. In
otherwords there are a few moves towards procedural change of governance,
while there is no indication of substansive change in anything. what is
most evident is the tokenism and marking of time. what difference has it
made following the release of Mr. Mandela ? True that the circumstances
forced Mandala to shere the Liberty Medel with De Klerk.  However, we need
to realize there were more protesters at the ceromony in Philadelphia than
the supporters. The ANC and PAC and large segments of African American
community in America,  infact participated in the protest rally infront of
the place where the medel was awarded.  However, cricket world has welcome
south africa with open arms. Do they realize that South Africans presense
in the international Cricket scene is an demonstration for "changing"
conditions in SA, and provide legitimacy for the white regeim. This infact
contribute towards the delay the handover of power to those for whome it
belong. Their is imanse political gain for the white regeim by
participating in Cricket with countries hitherto impossed restrictions.  I
have a lot of South Arican friends(the real citizens not the alien
racists-white. Note that there are exceptions). They are furious about
this(not that they were unaware of the hypocracy before i.e. some of these
countries buying weapons from SF and having investments).  They laugh,
especially, at the so called poor countries who suffered under colonialism,
and continue to do so under "neoimprialism". South Africans feel that these
countries has betrayed them.  Interestingly, there has been no protests
agianst playing with south Africa.  Where are the human right agencies?
This shows the parochialism/nackdness of the humanrights advocates, and the
continuing surbodination of sports to the ideological and material
interests of the powerful/big countries.  Just because the western
countries have lifted the ban it doesnot mean that the Non-white countries
need to do the same. Ofcourse, countries like SL, India, and Pakistan (just
like their white allies) are consistant with respect to the humanright
violations within their own countries! I mean thier treatment to minoriteis
etc.,  In any case those cricket loving fans whose assign a greater value
to "life" than cricekt should boycott all forms of thier participation in
cricket with South Africa.  lets Use cricket as means of brigining peace
and justice to those who need. So once a game is over we all (palyers,
fans, exploiters and non-participants) can can enjoy "Booze" and have a
"good sleep" without hearing cry of those who are unable do so.

Cheers

Jude
Standard disclaimer.

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by Brandon Murphy 93-033 » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 16:52:22

: Reflections on Cricket with South Africa
You say that things are the same as before Mr Mandela was released.
The fact is that the goverment and most political parties in this
country are close to coming to agreement with a new constitution.
This is not the South Africa of old. It is a new South Africa.
Unfortunately ignorant people like yourself, would rather have it
that we are still like we were, so that you can point your finger
at someone else.
By the way, learn how to spell and to type.

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by MR AN BORLA » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 19:30:43


Quote:

>Subject: Cricket with South Africa
>Date: 22 Aug 93 19:51:34 GMT
>Reflections on Cricket with South Africa

> A few years ago, follwoing the tradition of penalizing those who "do
>buisness" in South Africa, Sri lanka imposed a ban on Warnapura(Bernard
>Perera etc) led Cricket team for their tour in South Africa.  Nothing has
>changed in South Africa. Killings and other forms of human rights
>violations have gotten worse.  The white regeim has intensified its
>brutalities. Among the South Africans there is a deep sens of despire, and
>feeling of betrayal by the Human-rights- loving "United Nations."  We have
>seen that there is only there is nominal a claim for democracy. In
>otherwords there are a few moves towards procedural change of governance,
>while there is no indication of substansive change in anything. what is
>most evident is the tokenism and marking of time. what difference has it
>made following the release of Mr. Mandela ? True that the circumstances
>forced Mandala to shere the Liberty Medel with De Klerk.  However, we need
>to realize there were more protesters at the ceromony in Philadelphia than
>the supporters. The ANC and PAC and large segments of African American
>community in America,  infact participated in the protest rally infront of
>the place where the medel was awarded.  However, cricket world has welcome
>south africa with open arms. Do they realize that South Africans presense
>in the international Cricket scene is an demonstration for "changing"
>conditions in SA, and provide legitimacy for the white regeim. This infact
>contribute towards the delay the handover of power to those for whome it
>belong. Their is imanse political gain for the white regeim by
>participating in Cricket with countries hitherto impossed restrictions.  I
>have a lot of South Arican friends(the real citizens not the alien
>racists-white. Note that there are exceptions). They are furious about
>this(not that they were unaware of the hypocracy before i.e. some of these
>countries buying weapons from SF and having investments).  They laugh,
>especially, at the so called poor countries who suffered under colonialism,
>and continue to do so under "neoimprialism". South Africans feel that these
>countries has betrayed them.  Interestingly, there has been no protests
>agianst playing with south Africa.  Where are the human right agencies?
>This shows the parochialism/nackdness of the humanrights advocates, and the
>continuing surbodination of sports to the ideological and material
>interests of the powerful/big countries.  Just because the western
>countries have lifted the ban it doesnot mean that the Non-white countries
>need to do the same. Ofcourse, countries like SL, India, and Pakistan (just
>like their white allies) are consistant with respect to the humanright
>violations within their own countries! I mean thier treatment to minoriteis
>etc.,  In any case those cricket loving fans whose assign a greater value
>to "life" than cricekt should boycott all forms of thier participation in
>cricket with South Africa.  lets Use cricket as means of brigining peace
>and justice to those who need. So once a game is over we all (palyers,
>fans, exploiters and non-participants) can can enjoy "Booze" and have a
>"good sleep" without hearing cry of those who are unable do so.

>Cheers

>Jude
>Standard disclaimer.

Your ignorance of the current situation in South Africa and your political
naivete is even worse than your spelling!!!!!
Kindly word of advice - study the facts before you spout!!!

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by Richard Hartl » Tue, 24 Aug 1993 21:54:12

Who is this Jude Ferrando anyway who wrote about cricket in South Africa ?  He
was the same person who raved on about how Great Britain feels itself so
great that it blames everyone else for losing a test.  It sounded like he was
still smarting from the fact that England beat the Spanish Armada in 1588.

Evidently, he has decided to use r.s.c as a platform for political ranting.
My advice : belt up or move to a different news group.

richard

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by hndco.. » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 03:01:21


Quote:
> Reflections on Cricket with South Africa

>  A few years ago, follwoing the tradition of penalizing those who "do
> buisness" in South Africa, Sri lanka imposed a ban on Warnapura(Bernard
> Perera etc) led Cricket team for their tour in South Africa.  Nothing has
> changed in South Africa. Killings and other forms of human rights
> violations have gotten worse.  The white regeim has intensified its
> brutalities. Among the South Africans there is a deep sens of despire, and
> feeling of betrayal by the Human-rights- loving "United Nations."

I think you should approach the UNO with a tad more cynicism, dear
boy...

Well, the ANC (which polls show speaks for the majority of
the non-whites in the country) says that sanctions should be dropped,
and members of the ANC have actively campaigned to renew international
sport links.  I think the is despair aimed much more internally, and the
problems are looming so vast that noone really gives a shit about any
foreign finger-wagging.  I think the UNO has bigger fish to fry, now.

Quote:
> seen that there is only there is nominal a claim for democracy.

This is unfortunately still true, but people are working on it.  I
think a right hook (sanctions) or any other slaps on the wrist
(banning sports) are of little relevance to the political situation
here, which is precarious to say the least.

As for nations not dealing with SA because it hurts their little
consciences, that's complete and utter bullshit.  Nations don't have
consciences.

[I did write a reply to the rest of the body of the article, but have
deleted it, because it's just not about cricket.]

I'll just say that you do have a point.  What people seem to forget is
the D'oliveira episode, which caused the excrement to hit the
ventilator.  That was not the fault of the cricket community, which
was only interested in playing cricket, but the fault of one Hendrik
Verwoerd (may the devils poke him with the *** ends of red hot stumps till
eternity, and may he receive several Michael Holding deliveries in the crotch
daily, to boot), the ultra-racist prime minister, who refused to let him
tour with the poms.  I think that a ban on sport against SA was justified
in that case.  However, I don't think it is justified now.

I think Feroz will agree that news of the progress of the national
team is a welcome distraction from the gloom here.  I also predict
that in a couple of years there will be some fast bowlers from Soweto
who will knock the blocks off the West Indians.  This would not be
possible without sports sanctions being dropped.

I agree with the point made about the banning of people who went on
rebel tours.  I think they stunk, but I hypocritically went and
enjoyed them all the same... It was good cricket.  I don't think
attitudes to players who went on rebel tours and the dropping of the
ban on SA now have much in common.  

I'd just like to tell my fellow countrymen who flamed Jude's article
that they were being areseholes, and didn't read it properly.  His
points about South African politics are perhaps debatable, but he did
say some interesting things about UN doublespeak...

I of course add the standard objection to being termed `alien', but
that one's been thrashed out ad nauseam.

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by r.. » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 03:18:19


Quote:


>>Subject: Cricket with South Africa
>>Date: 22 Aug 93 19:51:34 GMT
>Your ignorance of the current situation in South Africa and your political
>naivete is even worse than your spelling!!!!!
>Kindly word of advice - study the facts before you spout!!!

P.S. How many South African players are non-white?

rjb

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by COOPER » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 18:44:51

Quote:




>>>Subject: Cricket with South Africa
>>>Date: 22 Aug 93 19:51:34 GMT
>>Your ignorance of the current situation in South Africa and your political
>>naivete is even worse than your spelling!!!!!
>>Kindly word of advice - study the facts before you spout!!!
>P.S. How many South African players are non-white?

There are no SA players who are not white at the moment. This
is because of the legacy of apartheid which meant that non-white
cricketers were not allowed to play for the team, and did not
have access to facilities.

This fact, by the way, contradicts the claim of tokenism in the SA team. We
all know that you cannot produce world class cricketers in 3 years -The
duration, so far of the United Cricket board's (I forget the proper name).

If you would do your research properly, you would realise that at the lower
levels of representative cricket (ie schools and U21 teams) there are several
(although not the majority... YET) black african players who are
selected on merit. I can name two. Morgan Mfobo and Owen Mazikazana.

Lastly, it is important to note that the only reason SA is playing
internationally at the moment is because the ANC has given its blessing.
Steve Tshwete of the ANC facilitated the unity of the establishment
and non-establishment cricket committees. In addition, Nelson Mandela
has given his blessing, officially, to the SA team on more than one
occasion.

The West Indies is not well known for its human rights infringements
or for it's racist-colonialist attitudes, yet they welcomed the
completely white SA team with open arms (even the spectators on the
ground). It is time for foreigners who have no idea of what is really
going on to update their facts and present a better argument before
slagging the efforts of a cricket community who is desperately trying
to right the wrongs of the past.

Amandla
Awethu

Quote:
>rjb

 
 
 

Cricket with South Africa

Post by Peter Horwi » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 18:31:55


Quote:




>>>Subject: Cricket with South Africa
>>>Date: 22 Aug 93 19:51:34 GMT
>P.S. How many South African players are non-white?

>rjb

Well once again non-cricket debate has struck the list. But it is difficult
to stand by and watch without commenting on this last post.

Most people who have knowledge of the history of South Africa as well
as developments over the past decade or two, have seen much criticism
and ridicule aimed at my country and my sport heroes. It is easy to
criticise yet we have seen very little in the way of practical solution.

So when the above question is asked, the answer is simple - comparitively
very few. The reply questions are numerous - How do we get more non-whites
involved in cricket ?
A brief scenario (true story) about encouraging cricket in South Africa:

A group of Transvaal and N. Tvl professional cricketors in alliance with
the cricket board dedicated, and set aside some 8 weekend days over a month
period to encourage cricket among the poor (non-white) children. The
turn out for the first six days was fantastic with some 800 to 1000
participants attending. The following Saturday afternoon, only 30
participants attended. What happend to the rest: there was a local soccer
match and there was far more interest in soccer amongst the youth despite
the efforts of encouraging cricket.

So what is the solution - lets have some practical responses.

One encouraging development has been the removal of the group area
restrictions and separation of schools.  Although the effects on
the sport scene will be small for several years (economic reasons),
the opportunities for development among all races has narrowed, but
the poorer establishments still exist.

Lets hope that the new constitution will encourage education and opportunity
for economic progress for all.

As for the immediate future, the best players, regardless of race or backround,
should be selected to represent the country.  I will never accept diversity
as long as competence is removed from the equation.

Here's to the good fortune of the Springboks, wherever and against whoever
they play.

Yours sincerely
PETER HORWITZ      Systems Analyst

'You can blow out a candle
 but you can't blow out a fire.        Peter Gabriel
 Once the flames begin to catch
 the wind will blow it higher.'