Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by R Bharat Ra » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:57:51


Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April?  Is it likely to be cold
and miserable, or beautiful & balmy.  I recall some Kiwi friends
telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
weather in NZ at that time.

Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
as a high/low.

If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

Andrew / others?  Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
discontent?
Bharat

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by david.baker.. » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 01:15:21


Quote:
> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? ?Is it likely to be cold
> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. ?I recall some Kiwi friends
> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> weather in NZ at that time.

> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> as a high/low.

> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> discontent?
> Bharat

Its always raining but the timing is not bad

3 Tests

Hamilton. Max temp around 20-23. Rainfall - Well about as good as it
gets in Hamilton
Napier - Max temp around 19-22. Rainfall. Relative to Napier quite a
lot.
Wellington (Andrew the expert here) - Max temp a little lower than
above. Quite a bit of rain. Windy as hell. Can be a cold wind

Generally speaking Jan to Feb would have been better

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by T » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:49:55


Quote:
> Hamilton. Max temp around 20-23. Rainfall - Well about as good as it
> gets in Hamilton
> Napier - Max temp around 19-22. Rainfall. Relative to Napier quite a
> lot.
> Wellington (Andrew the expert here) - Max temp a little lower than
> above. Quite a bit of rain. Windy as hell. Can be a cold wind

> Generally speaking Jan to Feb would have been better

I think Napier will be the best chance to have 5 consecutive days of
good weather. I'm not too confident in Hamilton or Wellington turning
it on.

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Aptery » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:17:14


Quote:
> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? ?Is it likely to be cold
> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. ?I recall some Kiwi friends
> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> weather in NZ at that time.

> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> as a high/low.

> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> discontent?
> Bharat

It's always a gamble. Even in a summer with little rain, what rain
there has been seemed to follow the West Indies around this year. Jan/
Feb is statistically the best time for highest temperatures and least
rain, but March is only marginally behind in both respects.

But scheduling a test match for April in Wellington would seem like
madness. The 4th day of the test will be on the 41st anniversary of
the worst storm in Wellington and New Zealand history.

OTOH, it worked OK when a test was scheduled in Wellington even later,
against Sri Lanka in 2005, starting on 11 April. I recall it as being
fine for the whole of the match (which only went 4 days), although I
am sure any Sri Lankan players not used to playing in England would
have found it pretty chilly except (at best) for an hour or two in mid
afternoon.

Apteryx

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Bobs » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:46:36


Quote:
> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? ?Is it likely to be cold
> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. ?I recall some Kiwi friends
> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> weather in NZ at that time.

> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> as a high/low.

> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> discontent?
> Bharat

The weather is Wellington is complete shit at the best of times.
Expect to die from exposure or drown in torrential rain. Either that
or blown out to sea.

Napier and Hamilton should be alright.

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by T » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:06:36


Quote:
> OTOH, it worked OK when a test was scheduled in Wellington even later,
> against Sri Lanka in 2005, starting on 11 April. I recall it as being
> fine for the whole of the match (which only went 4 days), although I
> am sure any Sri Lankan players not used to playing in England would
> have found it pretty chilly except (at best) for an hour or two in mid
> afternoon.

Dude, it was absolutely freezing there during that test match.
 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Jellor » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:44:44


Quote:
> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? ?Is it likely to be cold
> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. ?I recall some Kiwi friends
> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> weather in NZ at that time.

> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> as a high/low.

> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> discontent?
> Bharat

First impressions suggest that it will be a mistake, especially in
terms of losing time to the elements. However in terms of it being
"uncomfortable" for the Indians I have no sympathy. Teams like NZ have
to play in places like Chennai where the humidity is stifling, so it
evens up. It should be a good "test" of India's tilt at being No 1 in
the world.
 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:42:08


Quote:

>> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? Is it likely to be cold
>> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. I recall some Kiwi friends
>> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
>> weather in NZ at that time.

>> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
>> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
>> as a high/low.

>> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

>> Andrew / others? Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
>> discontent?
>> Bharat

> First impressions suggest that it will be a mistake, especially in
> terms of losing time to the elements. However in terms of it being
> "uncomfortable" for the Indians I have no sympathy. Teams like NZ have
> to play in places like Chennai where the humidity is stifling, so it
> evens up. It should be a good "test" of India's tilt at being No 1 in
> the world.

Indeed, although some of us including Bharat are more interested in
spectator comfort - the players are paid to be too hot, too cold or
whatever.

Andrew

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by R Bharat Ra » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:08:45


Quote:

> > Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> > discontent?
> > Bharat

> First impressions suggest that it will be a mistake, especially in
> terms of losing time to the elements. However in terms of it being
> "uncomfortable" for the Indians I have no sympathy. Teams like NZ have
> to play in places like Chennai where the humidity is stifling, so it
> evens up. It should be a good "test" of India's tilt at being No 1 in
> the world.

I'm sure its going to be a wonderful "test" of India's ability to deal
with cold, wet and windy conditions.  I'm just not keen on being a
wonderful "test" of my ability to deal with cold, wet and windy
conditions.

Bharat

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by sdavmo » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:25:50

Quote:



>>> Andrew / others?  Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
>>> discontent? Bharat
>> First impressions suggest that it will be a mistake, especially
>> in terms of losing time to the elements. However in terms of it
>> being "uncomfortable" for the Indians I have no sympathy. Teams
>> like NZ have to play in places like Chennai where the humidity is
>> stifling, so it evens up. It should be a good "test" of India's
>> tilt at being No 1 in the world.

> I'm sure its going to be a wonderful "test" of India's ability to
> deal with cold, wet and windy conditions.  I'm just not keen on
> being a wonderful "test" of my ability to deal with cold, wet and
> windy conditions.

> Bharat

Two sweaters. Fur boots. Lumberjack hat. You'll be fine.
--
Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
NP: nothing
 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Sanjiv Karmarka » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:02:26


Quote:
> Two sweaters. Fur boots. Lumberjack hat. You'll be fine.

No pants?  <shudder>

SK

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Andrew Dunfor » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:30:41



Quote:
> Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April?  Is it likely to be cold
> and miserable, or beautiful & balmy.  I recall some Kiwi friends
> telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> weather in NZ at that time.

> Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> as a high/low.

> If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> Andrew / others?  Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> discontent?
> Bharat

As others have mentioned, this tour definitely starts and finishes later
than might be considered ideal.  To give some context, last season's visit
by England had exactly the same proportions: two T20 matches, five odos and
three Tests.  The international portion of that tour ran from 5 February to
26 March, which is just about ideal whereas the India tour runs between 25
February and 7 April.

In other words the early part of the Indian tour is still considered to be
pleasant late summer but the Test series is getting to the time of year when
the weather is less reliable.

Reviewing the Test matches played at the Basin Reserve in March since 1999
when I returned to New Zealand, there have been many individual pleasant
days, but equally I can't remember a single match in that time which didn't
feature at least one cold or wet day.  England in 2001/02 and Australia in
2004/05 were both ruined by rain, South Africa in 2003/04 had a couple of
nice days but equally on the Saturday the northerly wind was so strong that
Shaun Pollock resorted to bowling off two paces, Sri Lanka in 2004/05 (the
only Test match at the Basin to start later in the season than the India
match this year) was extremely cold one day whilst WI in 2005/06 had several
breaks for rain and bad light.

Last season's Test v England was probably the best in recent memory, but as
noted it was held three weeks earlier than the India match will be and even
then it was chilly on day four.  As for weather patterns, the best late
summer / early autumn period of weather in Wellington in recent memory was
in 2007, which coincided with the World Cup and thus no Test match was held.
To give a direct comparison, the State Championship Final of 2005/06 was
played at the Basin commencing on 3 April 2006, the same day the Test
against India starts.  It was played in fine weather throughout but I recall
a distinctly autumnal feel, and it being impossible to get a full days' play
in before the sun set.  It is particularly unfortunate that NZ clocks go
back in the middle of the India Test match this season.

Do bear in mind of course that most Wellington Test matches are blighted by
high winds at some point: indeed the wind is usually worse for the spring
(pre-Christmas) Test than one held in Autumn.

Napier weather is amongst the most settled in New Zealand, with high
sunshine hours and low rainfall, and is generally still good into March.
Hamilton is a bit unreliable at any time but it will be warmer than
Wellington.

Andrew

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by Mad Hamis » Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:05:23

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:02:26 -0800 (PST), Sanjiv Karmarkar

Quote:


>> Two sweaters. Fur boots. Lumberjack hat. You'll be fine.

>No pants?  <shudder>

You can look away from him.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by R Bharat Ra » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:17:49


be a wonderful "test" of India's ability to

Quote:
> > deal with cold, wet and windy conditions. ?I'm just not keen on
> > being a wonderful "test" of my ability to deal with cold, wet and
> > windy conditions.

> >Bharat

> Two sweaters. Fur boots. Lumberjack hat. You'll be fine.

That does it.  My "idle" plans for going to NZ have been cancelled.
Andrew, hopefully India will tour NZ at a clement period sometime in
our lifetimes.  Of course, as I get older, even the height of summer
may be too much :-(

Bharat

 
 
 

Weather in NZ for Ind-NZ tests?

Post by shineythin » Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:19:33


Quote:

> > Whats the weather like in NZ for Mar-April? ?Is it likely to be cold
> > and miserable, or beautiful & balmy. ?I recall some Kiwi friends
> > telling me that Jan-Feb is the best time to visit NZ, so how is the
> > weather in NZ at that time.

> > Weather.com has no average monthly forecasts for Hamilton & Napier,
> > but Wellington has a "hmmm.. like quality" for its forecast of 61 / 53
> > as a high/low.

> > If its is wet and windy, 61 can be quite unpleasant.

> > Andrew / others? ?Is it going to be the summer, er Fall, of
> > discontent?
> > Bharat

> As others have mentioned, this tour definitely starts and finishes later
> than might be considered ideal. ?To give some context, last season's visit
> by England had exactly the same proportions: two T20 matches, five odos and
> three Tests. ?The international portion of that tour ran from 5 February to
> 26 March, which is just about ideal whereas the India tour runs between 25
> February and 7 April.

> In other words the early part of the Indian tour is still considered to be
> pleasant late summer but the Test series is getting to the time of year when
> the weather is less reliable.

> Reviewing the Test matches played at the Basin Reserve in March since 1999
> when I returned to New Zealand, there have been many individual pleasant
> days, but equally I can't remember a single match in that time which didn't
> feature at least one cold or wet day. ?England in 2001/02 and Australia in
> 2004/05 were both ruined by rain, South Africa in 2003/04 had a couple of
> nice days but equally on the Saturday the northerly wind was so strong that
> Shaun Pollock resorted to bowling off two paces, Sri Lanka in 2004/05 (the
> only Test match at the Basin to start later in the season than the India
> match this year) was extremely cold one day whilst WI in 2005/06 had several
> breaks for rain and bad light.

> Last season's Test v England was probably the best in recent memory, but as
> noted it was held three weeks earlier than the India match will be and even
> then it was chilly on day four. ?As for weather patterns, the best late
> summer / early autumn period of weather in Wellington in recent memory was
> in 2007, which coincided with the World Cup and thus no Test match was held.
> To give a direct comparison, the State Championship Final of 2005/06 was
> played at the Basin commencing on 3 April 2006, the same day the Test
> against India starts. ?It was played in fine weather throughout but I recall
> a distinctly autumnal feel, and it being impossible to get a full days' play
> in before the sun set. ?It is particularly unfortunate that NZ clocks go
> back in the middle of the India Test match this season.

> Do bear in mind of course that most Wellington Test matches are blighted by
> high winds at some point: indeed the wind is usually worse for the spring
> (pre-Christmas) Test than one held in Autumn.

> Napier weather is amongst the most settled in New Zealand, with high
> sunshine hours and low rainfall, and is generally still good into March.
> Hamilton is a bit unreliable at any time but it will be warmer than
> Wellington.

Pity they haven't been playing during the last 4 weeks - my lawn looks
like the Sahara.

Of course, as the WI found out, international cricket is a certain
drought breaker...