O captain my captain!

O captain my captain!

Post by Neha » Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:42:51


Bradman as captain:

Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
without losing.

Sachin as captain:

Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
the worst captain of all time.

Neha (Bahara,Bahara hua dil pehli baar ve)

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Arindam Banerje » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:56:38


Quote:
> Bradman as captain:

> Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> without losing.

> Sachin as captain:

> Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> the worst captain of all time.

So they chose Ganguly, who always wanted to win as opposed to
accepting defeat even before the matches started. As was the normal
behaviour of Indian captains, especially when playing abroad. Their
idea of sportsmanship!  It was so disgusting to see the behaviour of
such loser suck-up captains like Azhar and Tendulkar, in Australia.
They were so popular with the media here, as they were such good
losers.  Ganguly was given hell, in contrast.

Had the Bengali-leaning BJP leader Vajpayee not been in power, I doubt
if he would have ever got the chance.  As it is, it was very difficult
for him to enter the Test arena, for even the envious Bengalis were
against him and said that it was all due to his father's influence.

Thanks to Ganguly, some Indians have learnt what it means to have a
backbone.

Quote:

> Neha (Bahara,Bahara hua dil pehli baar ve)


 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by R Bharat Ra » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:34:01


Quote:
> Bradman as captain:

> Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> without losing.

> Sachin as captain:

> Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> the worst captain of all time.

Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
excellence.  Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
about him...

Face it Neha.  Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
player of his generation.

The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

Bharat

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Bob Duber » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:55:50


Quote:
> Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

Errrmmm.... so Bradman > Sachin?
 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Arindam Banerje » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:07:58


Quote:

> > Bradman as captain:

> > Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> > was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> > without losing.

> > Sachin as captain:

> > Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> > never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> > the worst captain of all time.

> Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> about him...

> Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> player of his generation.

> The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

This is true, going by statistics.  However when I was a kid I thought
Jaisimha was the greatest, simply because I liked that name.  I think
Ranji still is the greatest Indian cricket player ever, going by non-
statistics.  Maybe, because we are dealing with the legend here, that
invented the late cut.  A lazy, elegant stroke; thus really Indian.

Quote:
> And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

This I don't know.  Tendulkar is certainly very fit, very talented and
a real pleasure to watch.  A great asset, an inspiration.  Don Bradman
himself praised him, and said Sachin played like him.  While he is
beyond doubt the greatest batsman of our time, in my view he would
earn your accolade if he played like Sehwag staying twice Sehwag's
time at the crease.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> Bharat

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Uday Raja » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:33:46


Quote:

> > Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> > Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> Errrmmm.... so Bradman > Sachin?

As a Test batsman, of course. In odos, Tendulkar may have the edge.
 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Neha » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 01:45:02

Quote:
> Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

Disagree. sachin himself averaged less than his carrer average while
being the captain. there is no chance in hell that players would want
such to perform under such player.

Quote:

> Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> about him...

Yes,i know. this post was only anti bradman guys..

Quote:
> Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> player of his generation.

Not by a Long margin, No. He didn't score much against peak
southafrica(when pollock was in the side). Lara is very very very
close to him, if not better.

Quote:
> The greatest Indian cricket player ever

Obviously.

Quote:
> And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

That is correct, though.

Quote:
> Bharat

Neha
 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Don speaks the trut » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 04:18:45



Quote:


> > > Bradman as captain:

> > > Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> > > was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> > > without losing.

> > > Sachin as captain:

> > > Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> > > never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> > > the worst captain of all time.

> > Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> > Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> > Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> > excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> > rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> > about him...

> > Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> > player of his generation.

> > The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

> This is true, going by statistics. ?However when I was a kid I thought
> Jaisimha was the greatest, simply because I liked that name. ?I think
> Ranji still is the greatest Indian cricket player ever, going by non-
> statistics. ?Maybe, because we are dealing with the legend here, that
> invented the late cut. ?A lazy, elegant stroke; thus really Indian.

> > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> This I don't know. ?Tendulkar is certainly very fit, very talented and
> a real pleasure to watch. ?A great asset, an inspiration. ?Don Bradman
> himself praised him, and said Sachin played like him. ?While he is
> beyond doubt the greatest batsman of our time, in my view he would
> earn your accolade if he played like Sehwag staying twice Sehwag's
> time at the crease.

> > Bharat- Hide quoted text -

> - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

> - Show quoted text -

You are still stuck in pre 2004 era aren't you? Like city like
commies.

Don

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Don speaks the trut » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 04:22:24


Quote:

> > Bradman as captain:

> > Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> > was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> > without losing.

> > Sachin as captain:

> > Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> > never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> > the worst captain of all time.

> Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> about him...

> Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> player of his generation.

> The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

> And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> Bharat

Bharat while trying to sound all too sane in hoping to correct Neha
you
are actually on her side. She too feels the same as you.

Bharat 10 years back when Dravid was in his elements you were not even
accepting that Sachin is the best Indian player of his generation.
Hopefully
after 10 more years you will accept that he was the greatest player
ever.
That i think will come post his retirement when the Indian test team
starts
failing and people in India lose interest in cricket in general.

Don [i know you are a Gavaskar fan and so how conveniently worded it
as "best player of his generation" :)]

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Don speaks the trut » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 04:23:54


Quote:
> > Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> > Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> Disagree. sachin himself averaged less than his carrer average while
> being the captain. there is no chance in hell that players would want
> such to perform under such player.

> > Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> > excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> > rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> > about him...

> Yes,i know. this post was only anti bradman guys..

> > Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> > player of his generation.

> Not by a Long margin, No. He didn't score much against peak
> southafrica(when pollock was in the side). Lara is very very very
> close to him, if not better.

> > The greatest Indian cricket player ever

> Obviously.

So much abuse for the "greatest indian player ever". Gee you must be a
psycho !

Don

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> That is correct, though.

> > Bharat

> Neha

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by Arindam Banerje » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:18:03



Quote:




> > > > Bradman as captain:

> > > > Batting average of more than 101, won everything in sight, his team
> > > > was called Invincible in 1948 where they won a record 34 matches
> > > > without losing.

> > > > Sachin as captain:

> > > > Batting average of 37 in odis and 51 in tests. Never won anything,
> > > > never scored 500 runs in a series(LOL!) and widely regarded as one of
> > > > the worst captain of all time.

> > > Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> > > Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> > > Sachin's greatness is in the longevity as a batsman and sustained
> > > excellence. ?Even his most fanatic supporters - and there are many on
> > > rsc - wouldn't use his captaincy as a shining example of what is great
> > > about him...

> > > Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> > > player of his generation.

> > > The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

> > This is true, going by statistics. ?However when I was a kid I thought
> > Jaisimha was the greatest, simply because I liked that name. ?I think
> > Ranji still is the greatest Indian cricket player ever, going by non-
> > statistics. ?Maybe, because we are dealing with the legend here, that
> > invented the late cut. ?A lazy, elegant stroke; thus really Indian.

> > > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> > This I don't know. ?Tendulkar is certainly very fit, very talented and
> > a real pleasure to watch. ?A great asset, an inspiration. ?Don Bradman
> > himself praised him, and said Sachin played like him. ?While he is
> > beyond doubt the greatest batsman of our time, in my view he would
> > earn your accolade if he played like Sehwag staying twice Sehwag's
> > time at the crease.

> > > Bharat- Hide quoted text -

> > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

> > - Show quoted text -

> You are still stuck in pre 2004 era aren't you?

No, pre 1990 is more like it, so far as cricket is concerned. Still, I
watch cricket in the MCG from time to time.
 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by R Bharat Ra » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:17:38


Quote:

> > Ermrmm; if Sachin had Bradman the player in his team to call upon (as
> > Bradman did),he too would have won everything in sight...

> Errrmmm.... so Bradman > Sachin?

No no no. Absolutely not.

The correct statement is

Bradman >> Sachin (and every other man to lift a bat).

Bharat

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by R Bharat Ra » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:26:26



Quote:

> > Face it Neha. ?Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> > player of his generation.

> > The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

> > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> > Bharat

> Bharat while trying to sound all too sane in hoping to correct Neha
> you
> are actually on her side. She too feels the same as you.

> Bharat 10 years back when Dravid was in his elements you were not even
> accepting that Sachin is the best Indian player of his generation.

Don, you do realize that a lot of cricket has been played in the
interim.  Had Sachin retired 10 years ago, it would have debatable.
Had he called it quits at the very trough of his career (the 4 year
span where he struggled mightily), I would not have said as I say
above..
Quote:

> > The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

It is because of what he has done in the last 10 years, that I now can
state that he is the best Indian cricketer ever.

Quote:
> Hopefully
> after 10 more years you will accept that he was the greatest player
> ever.

Depends.  If you say Tests + ODI's with equal weighting, then yes, he
is already the greatest player ever, because the Don, by definition,
can't score over 50/100.  However, if you adjust for only the forms of
cricket available to the player, nope..

Quote:
> That i think will come post his retirement when the Indian test team
> starts
> failing and people in India lose interest in cricket in general.

> Don [i know you are a Gavaskar fan and so how conveniently worded it
> as "best player of his generation" :)]

Ermm, did you read what I wrote above...

Quote:
> > Face it Neha.  Sachin is -- by a long margin -- the best cricket
> > player of his generation.

That is a comparison with Lara, Waugh, Kallis, Ponting, Inzi, etc...
Though on reflection the "long margin" overstates my case.  I would
say Lara & Warne are very serious contenders for "best player of his
generation".

Quote:

> > The greatest Indian cricket player ever.

THIS is the comparison with Gavaskar -- and to be clear, I only came
to this conclusion about a year or so ago... And 10 years ago, didn't
think he was ahead of Sunny.
Quote:

> > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

And this is the comparison across history...  And the "possibly"
refers to the fact that he may be the best among those fighting for
#2, amongst a host of challengers (Sobers, Richards, Hobbs ...) .  #1
is untouchable...

Bharat

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by R Bharat Ra » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:29:08



Quote:

> > And quite possibly, the second greatest batsman ever.

> This I don't know. ?Tendulkar is certainly very fit, very talented and
> a real pleasure to watch. ?A great asset, an inspiration. ?Don Bradman
> himself praised him, and said Sachin played like him. ?While he is
> beyond doubt the greatest batsman of our time, in my view he would
> earn your accolade if he played like Sehwag staying twice Sehwag's
> time at the crease.

Sorry, I don't understand the point you are making.

If you have followed what I've written (over the last 20 years on
rsc), the criterion I've used pretty regularly for batsman is
"sustained excellence over a long period" -- SRT's amazing run into
his late 30s, at a time when he should be long measured for the
commentary box, is why I rate him so so highly -- very little to do
with how he bats, though I still sigh with pleasure when I see his
immaculate forward defense, and punch past the bowler...

Bharat

 
 
 

O captain my captain!

Post by jzfredrick » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:47:01


Quote:
> Depends. ?If you say Tests + ODI's with equal weighting, then yes, he
> is already the greatest player ever, because the Don, by definition,
> can't score over 50/100. ?However, if you adjust for only the forms of
> cricket available to the player, nope..

How close is Viv, in your opinion, to SRT? (when giving ODIs equal
weighting)

I'd pick SRT over Viv, but only just and with a tinge of regret/
hesitation.