Smith doing it again

Smith doing it again

Post by Will_ » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:29:47


After Hussey and McGrath in Melbourne you would think he would come up with
a better plan. The again if you were in Smiths shoes what would you do when
bowling at the tail when they have either Gilly or Hussey batting with them
 
 
 

Smith doing it again

Post by RJ » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:33:09

Can't fathom it. Why are the SA'ns letting Aussies away time and again?
They don't deserve to square the series if they let the tail away like
this.

RJ[Gilly playing for his place]

 
 
 

Smith doing it again

Post by jlicht.. » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:41:17

Quote:

> Can't fathom it. Why are the SA'ns letting Aussies away time and again?
> They don't deserve to square the series if they let the tail away like
> this.

The biggest problem for RSA is going to be having to face 10 overs with
a lead of only 100.  They could lose this game easily, with Aus maybe
even winning on D4.

 
 
 

Smith doing it again

Post by outsourcingbusin.. » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:19:43

Quote:

> After Hussey and McGrath in Melbourne you would think he would come up with
> a better plan. The again if you were in Smiths shoes what would you do when
> bowling at the tail when they have either Gilly or Hussey batting with them

I would have kept Botha on and not taken the new ball. Smith definitely
lost the plot here. It is much harder for tailenders to hit decent
spinners on a track which is helping spinners. The older ball would
have been that much more difficult to hit and there would have been
tremendous pressue on Australia to score. Gilly would probably have
remained 40 not out and the tailenders would have not scored anything.
South Africa would have had a minimum lead of about 150. (Probably even
more).

As things stand now SA need to score at least 250 thereby giving them a
lead of about 340. At the very minimum they need 225.

Lets hope SA score about 240 or 250 between tea and close of day 4 (If
scoring is difficult on day 4 they could even settle for scoring around
220 in 80 overs. This would give them about 100 overs to bowl Australia
out and Australa going for about 310 for victory). However, if they can
score a little quicker and declare about an hour before close of play,
setting Australia around 340. It would then be a very exciting test
match. But conserving wickets is key in the morning session and they
should only go for quick runs after tea.

Cheers

 
 
 

Smith doing it again

Post by Mad Hamis » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:54:01


Quote:


>> Can't fathom it. Why are the SA'ns letting Aussies away time and again?
>> They don't deserve to square the series if they let the tail away like
>> this.

>The biggest problem for RSA is going to be having to face 10 overs with
>a lead of only 100.  They could lose this game easily, with Aus maybe
>even winning on D4.

Well he tried to avoid having a lead...
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws

 
 
 

Smith doing it again

Post by Bob Duber » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:23:47

Quote:

> After Hussey and McGrath in Melbourne you would think he would come up with
> a better plan. The again if you were in Smiths shoes what would you do when
> bowling at the tail when they have either Gilly or Hussey batting with them

Bowl straight and full at the tail enders for a start.