Ollie's putt not even close

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Gravelle, Daniel [BCNR:7M15:EXCH » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00


After reading all the whining about his line being ***led,
I have a few observations:

1. His putt did not even scare the hole.  No amount of line
***ling prevented it from going in.

2. There was no line ***ling by any US players.
Did any cameramen step on the line. Don't know
but it did not make a difference.   How about twenty
golfers and their caddies walking on the greens for the
previous several hours...

3. Did the celebrating "ice" Ollie preventing him from
making a good stroke?  I don't know, did Harrington's walking
off a one hundred plus yard shot "ice" O'Meara before he had
a very important shot on 18?

I'm dissappointed that more European fans and even players can't
ackowledge that they were beat fair and square and give the
Americans the credit they deserve.

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Martin Hedley-Smi » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You just fail to understand the rules of gaolf thats all.  Most Europeans do
acknowledge you performed remarkably well.  Biut dont expect everyone over here
to say well done, when you "whooped" us by one point and prioir to match said
you had the best 12 players in the world and our players were not fit to carry
your bags.  Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so close
to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

Martin


says...

Quote:

>After reading all the whining about his line being ***led,
>I have a few observations:

>1. His putt did not even scare the hole.  No amount of line
>***ling prevented it from going in.

>2. There was no line ***ling by any US players.
>Did any cameramen step on the line. Don't know
>but it did not make a difference.   How about twenty
>golfers and their caddies walking on the greens for the
>previous several hours...

>3. Did the celebrating "ice" Ollie preventing him from
>making a good stroke?  I don't know, did Harrington's walking
>off a one hundred plus yard shot "ice" O'Meara before he had
>a very important shot on 18?

>I'm dissappointed that more European fans and even players can't
>ackowledge that they were beat fair and square and give the
>Americans the credit they deserve.


 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Gravelle, Daniel [BCNR:7M15:EXCH » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

As an 'impartial' Canadian (ok not quite impartial) I had no part
in any bragging beforehand.  I fully acknowledge that the Euro
players are great. I get to see them every week on the golf channel.
I also never said you were 'whooped', just that you were beaten
fair and square.  To make a fuss about the putt is not to give the US
credit. Period. And what rules of golf are you referring to?

Dan

Quote:

> You just fail to understand the rules of gaolf thats all.  Most Europeans do
> acknowledge you performed remarkably well.  Biut dont expect everyone over here
> to say well done, when you "whooped" us by one point and prioir to match said
> you had the best 12 players in the world and our players were not fit to carry
> your bags.  Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so close
> to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

> Martin


 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Dick Schneide » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:
>Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so close
>to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

>Martin

Why should you have been worried about the rookies?  Three of them didn't even
play until the last match!

Dick Schneiders

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by bkni.. » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00



To hell with all that.  Are you aware of the attachment of the
happy99.exe to your post?  If so, why?  Here's hoping that none of the
newbies open it.

"Someone likes every shot"
bk

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Kevin » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Olazabal lost a 4 hole advantage over 5 holes. There's no reason to
think he could have hit that putt if you gave you 10 tries.
Quote:

> After reading all the whining about his line being ***led,
> I have a few observations:

> 1. His putt did not even scare the hole.  No amount of line
> ***ling prevented it from going in.

> 2. There was no line ***ling by any US players.
> Did any cameramen step on the line. Don't know
> but it did not make a difference.   How about twenty
> golfers and their caddies walking on the greens for the
> previous several hours...

> 3. Did the celebrating "ice" Ollie preventing him from
> making a good stroke?  I don't know, did Harrington's walking
> off a one hundred plus yard shot "ice" O'Meara before he had
> a very important shot on 18?

> I'm dissappointed that more European fans and even players can't
> ackowledge that they were beat fair and square and give the
> Americans the credit they deserve.

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Crispin Roch » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Unfortunately it was not just the putt.

Having just rewatched the highlights of the last few holes of the
Olazabal/Leonard match it was noticable that Justin Leonard had to quieten
the crowd after his tee shot to the16th green before Olazabal played his tee
shot.  Also at least one of the crowed loudly booed Olazabal as he was
playing his second shot to the 17th green and this was before the entire US
of A decide to rush the 17th green.  Three incidents of bad crowd behaviour
in just 2 holes.  It doesn''t matter how good a golfer you are in the end
these sort of incidents are going to have an effect and that is just not
good sportsmanship.  Quite possibly a case could be made that the crowd won
the Ryder cup not the players - they just helped.

Crispin Roche



Quote:
> As an 'impartial' Canadian (ok not quite impartial) I had no part
> in any bragging beforehand.  I fully acknowledge that the Euro
> players are great. I get to see them every week on the golf channel.
> I also never said you were 'whooped', just that you were beaten
> fair and square.  To make a fuss about the putt is not to give the US
> credit. Period. And what rules of golf are you referring to?

> Dan


> > You just fail to understand the rules of gaolf thats all.  Most
Europeans do
> > acknowledge you performed remarkably well.  Biut dont expect everyone
over here
> > to say well done, when you "whooped" us by one point and prioir to match
said
> > you had the best 12 players in the world and our players were not fit to
carry
> > your bags.  Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so
close
> > to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

> > Martin

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Hacke » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Check the tapes from Spain in '97 - all the same ***was going on for the
Americans to deal with and then some.  These crowd antics have been typical
of the very partisan crowds ever since the competition was opened up to all
of Europe.  It is simply bizarre that the European media have chosen to
severely rake the Americans (and America) over the coals for one spontaneous
outburst of emotion.  One British reporter wrote that the American's
behavior was worse than any soccer hooliganism they've ever encountered over
there.  What?  Did anyone die yesterday?  Was there thousands of dollars of
property damage?  Was the clubhouse burned to the ground?  This is an
example of irresponsible reporting at it's worst.

I thought Payne Stewart said it best, something to the effect that the Cup
is certainly important in the golf world and carries tremendous pride and
honor for all involved...but it's not life or death!

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Stan The Ma » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Quote:



>>You just fail to understand the rules of gaolf thats all.  Most Europeans do
>>acknowledge you performed remarkably well.  Biut dont expect everyone over
>>here
>>to say well done, when you "whooped" us by one point and prioir to match said
>>you had the best 12 players in the world and our players were not fit to
>>carry
>>your bags.  Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so
>>close
>>to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

>>Martin

>If rookies were a concern then why were they picked?

Only one rookie was picked. However, he was a bad pick and spent all
afternoon on Sunday looking like a rabbit caught in a car's headlights.

Stan

--
Stan The Man
+++*** Under This Macintosh+++
If replying, DELETE X

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Allen Wilkinso » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

What NBC showed of Harrington walking off, incredibly, was on 17.  Mark
Rolfing informed J. Miller that Harrington had been doing this all day
long and that he'd be a very trying person to play with.

On 18, I believe, most of the O'Meara coverage was on his hooked drive,
and then on his predicament in the fairway bunker.  I don't recall
seeing Harrington's walk-off again, but he might have.

Quote:

> After reading all the whining about his line being ***led,
> I have a few observations:

<snip>

> 3. Did the celebrating "ice" Ollie preventing him from
> making a good stroke?  I don't know, did Harrington's walking
> off a one hundred plus yard shot "ice" O'Meara before he had
> a very important shot on 18?

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Joseph N. Hal » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> [...] Quite possibly a case could be made that the crowd won
> the Ryder cup not the players - they just helped.

Ah, in this case, the Ryder Cup belongs to ALL OF US!  Not
just the players.

  -joseph

 
 
 

Ollie's putt not even close

Post by Eric Cartm » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:




>>>You just fail to understand the rules of gaolf thats all.  Most Europeans do
>>>acknowledge you performed remarkably well.  Biut dont expect everyone over
>>>here
>>>to say well done, when you "whooped" us by one point and prioir to match said
>>>you had the best 12 players in the world and our players were not fit to
>>>carry
>>>your bags.  Deep down, we were worried about our rookies, but to come so
>>>close
>>>to beating you after those comments is difficult to take.

>>>Martin

>>If rookies were a concern then why were they picked?

>Only one rookie was picked. However, he was a bad pick and spent all
>afternoon on Sunday looking like a rabbit caught in a car's headlights.

>Stan

He meant picked to play actual matches...