60* wedge

60* wedge

Post by Murray A Sarwa » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00


looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
good suggestion for a new one?
 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Robert Hatter » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Why do you want to replace it?  Nobody makes a better wedge than Cleveland.

Bob Hattery

Quote:

>looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
>good suggestion for a new one?


 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Nowell Creadi » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I hit one of the new Titleist Vokey designs the other day and it felt
significantly better than my Cleveland....


Quote:

> looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
> good suggestion for a new one?


 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by \ » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I must admit I haven't heard of very many players who turn sour on their
Cleveland wedges.

If your looking for something "similar, but different," you might look at
the Callaway Big Bertha Tour Series wedges.  Similar look when you're over
the ball (they were also designed by Roger Cleveland), but with the benefit
of perimeter weighting and Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel" which
makes for a very solid feel thru the ball.

You sure won't have any trouble finding a buyer for your Cleveland.

Randy

Quote:

>looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
>good suggestion for a new one?

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by YoY » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel"

I wonder about this. I'm looking at one of my wife's clubs right now. She
inhereted the set from her mother. They're Wilson "Babe" D. Zaharias irons
and they've got a feature on the sole that looks for all the world like
the "Bore-Thru" design that you see on BBs now.

Obviously I couldn't say that that's the case without taking the club
apart, but it does have wondering if the Bore-thru thing hasn't been tried
before.

--

     "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."
                                        -Jesse "The Body" Ventura

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Jag » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'd like a Cleveland but cant fathom $150 for a wedge.


Quote:
>I must admit I haven't heard of very many players who turn sour on their
>Cleveland wedges.

>If your looking for something "similar, but different," you might look at
>the Callaway Big Bertha Tour Series wedges.  Similar look when you're over
>the ball (they were also designed by Roger Cleveland), but with the benefit
>of perimeter weighting and Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel" which
>makes for a very solid feel thru the ball.

>You sure won't have any trouble finding a buyer for your Cleveland.

>Randy


>>looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
>>good suggestion for a new one?

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by brett & annett » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

in irons?? hmm... i seem to remember a couple of bore
through designs through the late 80s. as far as woods
go the bore thruogh thing has been around forever.
actually all wooden woods are bore through, the sole
plate just covers the bottom of the shaft.

brett

Quote:

>>Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel"

>I wonder about this. I'm looking at one of my wife's

clubs right now. She
Quote:
>inhereted the set from her mother. They're Wilson

"Babe" D. Zaharias irons
Quote:
>and they've got a feature on the sole that looks for
all the world like
>the "Bore-Thru" design that you see on BBs now.

>Obviously I couldn't say that that's the case without
taking the club
>apart, but it does have wondering if the Bore-thru

thing hasn't been tried
Quote:
>before.

>--

stuff------

>     "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always
cheat."
>                                        -Jesse "The

Body" Ventura
 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Rick Nelso » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My early sixties Hague Ultras have bore thru design on both irons and
woods.  Earlier
versions of Hagues, maybe back to late 40's early 50's had this design
feature also.
And probably if you went to the R&A museum you'd see someone tried it
back at the
turn of the century.

Thanks,

Rick

Quote:

> in irons?? hmm... i seem to remember a couple of bore
> through designs through the late 80s. as far as woods
> go the bore thruogh thing has been around forever.
> actually all wooden woods are bore through, the sole
> plate just covers the bottom of the shaft.

> brett



> >>Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel"

> >I wonder about this. I'm looking at one of my wife's
> clubs right now. She
> >inhereted the set from her mother. They're Wilson
> "Babe" D. Zaharias irons
> >and they've got a feature on the sole that looks for
> all the world like
> >the "Bore-Thru" design that you see on BBs now.

> >Obviously I couldn't say that that's the case without
> taking the club
> >apart, but it does have wondering if the Bore-thru
> thing hasn't been tried
> >before.

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Benso » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
> good suggestion for a new one?

Get the Alien2.  It looks pretty cool on tv.

Benson

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Michael DeKelve » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:


>> looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone have a
>> good suggestion for a new one?

>Get the Alien2.  It looks pretty cool on tv.

Yeesh.  You've already used a Cleveland, why replace it?

I have a 56* RTG that I bent to 58*, ground some of the bounce off and now I
don't need a 60*.  I also use 53* RTG.  So, opens up room for another
fairway wood.

Michael DeKelver
<<remove NOSPAM to reply>>

Quote:

>Benson

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Michael DeKelve » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>in irons?? hmm... i seem to remember a couple of bore
>through designs through the late 80s. as far as woods
>go the bore thruogh thing has been around forever.
>actually all wooden woods are bore through, the sole
>plate just covers the bottom of the shaft.

Look at Wilson's website, the RM wedges are usually bore through, and the
old staff 'fluid feel' irons were always bore through.  Callaway didn't
invent it.

Michael DeKelver
<<remove NOSPAM to reply>>

Quote:
>brett



>>>Callaway's proprietary "bore-thru hosel"

>>I wonder about this. I'm looking at one of my wife's
>clubs right now. She
>>inhereted the set from her mother. They're Wilson
>"Babe" D. Zaharias irons
>>and they've got a feature on the sole that looks for
>all the world like
>>the "Bore-Thru" design that you see on BBs now.

>>Obviously I couldn't say that that's the case without
>taking the club
>>apart, but it does have wondering if the Bore-thru
>thing hasn't been tried
>>before.

>>--

>stuff------

>>     "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always
>cheat."
>>                                        -Jesse "The
>Body" Ventura

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Henry M. Behrman » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Here! Here!

Henry

PS. If you prefer a different grip on anothe rclub, why don't you just
replace the grip and see if you like it even better?

Quote:

> Why do you want to replace it?  Nobody makes a better wedge than
> Cleveland.

> Bob Hattery


> >looking to replace my Cleveland 588 wedge with another one. anyone
> have a
> >good suggestion for a new one?

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Joseph N. Hal » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

$150 Canadian?

588 RTGs are around $90 here.

        -joseph

Quote:

> I'd like a Cleveland but cant fathom $150 for a wedge.

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by Jag » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I was looking at the BeNi .  Cobra's Trusty rusty's look impressive also so
maybe I'll go for one of those.



Quote:
>$150 Canadian?

>588 RTGs are around $90 here.

> -joseph


>> I'd like a Cleveland but cant fathom $150 for a wedge.

 
 
 

60* wedge

Post by brett & annett » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

yeah those BeNi wedges sure are expensive, though i was
fortunate enough to play with one briefly ..... very,
very nice indeed. the rtg's are *excellent*, and pretty
good value to boot. i think that if was up for new
wedges i would seriously consider these. i personally
use a set of hogan CuBe wedges, 52*, 56* & 60*. i'm
very happy with them and would recommend them to
anybody that is currently looking.

brett