Why don't the pros switch balls?

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Jaso » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:38:20


I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for the
shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls on
different holes?
 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Mike Daleck » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:41:53

In most tournaments the pros play under a 'one-ball' rule, which means
they must use the same type of ball throughout the tournament.  You'll
note there is no such "rule" in the rules of golf; you could do exactly
what you note below.  

Mike

Quote:

> I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
> instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for the
> shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls on
> different holes?

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Dalecki  RSG-Wisconsin 2001 Info:  http://SportToday.org/
I do not patronize spammers!  Help keep RSG clean.
Expect the same etiquette from me on RSG as on the golf course.
RSG Roll Call:  http://SportToday.org/~kirby34/rsg/daleckim.htm
-----------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Jeff Connell » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:57:44


Quote:
> In most tournaments the pros play under a 'one-ball' rule, which means
> they must use the same type of ball throughout the tournament.  You'll
> note there is no such "rule" in the rules of golf; you could do exactly
> what you note below.

The goofballs who always pull out a special ball to putt with always crack
me up though.

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Joe Cartpat » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:46:03


Quote:
> I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
> instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for the
> shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls
on
> different holes?

IIRC, the PGA Tour has the "one ball rule" in effect. Even if they didn't, I
imagine the pros are more concerned with knowing the exact distance a shot
will fly with each club, rather that maximizing yardage. Switching balls
would simply increas the number of variables.

--
Joe Cartpath - www.joecartpath.com
Basic Golf Clubmaking & Memphis Area Golf Course Guide
and....The Memphis MG Page...

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by R & » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:15:34

I always thought you couldn't change your ball during the play of a hole
unless damaged or something.  Not because you want to putt with a different
ball?

Dean Gough

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Kenny Stul » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:41:19


says...
Quote:

>I always thought you couldn't change your ball during the play of a hole
>unless damaged or something.  Not because you want to putt with a different
>ball?

>Dean Gough

You're right.  That's probably why he's calling them goofballs

--
Kenny Stultz
RSG Rollcall: http://u1.netgate.net/~kirby34/rsg/stultzk.htm

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Jeff Connell » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:38:27


Quote:

> says...

> >I always thought you couldn't change your ball during the play of a hole
> >unless damaged or something.  Not because you want to putt with a
different
> >ball?

> You're right.  That's probably why he's calling them goofballs

Yup.  I really don't mean any offense though.  Anybody can do anything they
want.  It just seems kind of cheesy to me, but other golfers can tee off
with superballs for all I care.  (Just not in a tournament :-)
 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Matt Aamol » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:06:20

They can only use one type of ball per tournament


Quote:
> I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
> instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for the
> shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls
on
> different holes?

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Scott Newel » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:05:44


Quote:
> They can only use one type of ball per tournament



> > I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
> > instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for
the
> > shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls
> on
> > different holes?

Actually, I believe it's one type of ball per "stipulated round" (18 holes
in stroke play or per match in match play).  They can switch balls between
rounds or matches within a tournament.

--

Washington State University
"That shot is impossible!...Jack Nicholson
himself couldn't make it!"-- Homer Simpson

 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Wdy » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:29:33

Quote:
>> > I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes? For
>> > instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for
>the
>> > shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different balls
>> on
>> > different holes?

>Actually, I believe it's one type of ball per "stipulated round" (18 holes
>in stroke play or per match in match play).  They can switch balls between
>rounds or matches within a tournament.

THe above is correct, hence Tiger changing for the Nike to a Titleist in the
final rounds of The Open.
 
 
 

Why don't the pros switch balls?

Post by Matt Aamol » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:48:32

Being able to change balls every stipulated round does seem fair


Quote:
> >> > I was wondering why the pros don't switch balls for certain holes?
For
> >> > instance a longer ball for longer holes and a shorter softer ball for
> >the
> >> > shorter holes. Or would it***up their length hitting different
balls
> >> on
> >> > different holes?

> >Actually, I believe it's one type of ball per "stipulated round" (18
holes
> >in stroke play or per match in match play).  They can switch balls
between
> >rounds or matches within a tournament.

> THe above is correct, hence Tiger changing for the Nike to a Titleist in
the
> final rounds of The Open.