Horvath=BS

Horvath=BS

Post by Horvath1.. » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:54:58



wrote this crap:

Quote:
>> I didn't say that.  I said the pitch of the whistle never changes.  We
>> all know that from the listeners earpoint the pitch appears to change.
>> The volume appears to change too.

>Incorrect (goes without saying).

>From the listeners earpoint, both the pitch and the volume DO change.

Everybody knows that.  But I said that the pitch and volume never
changes.  The whistle plays only one note at one volume and that never
changes.

Quote:

>> >Incorrect. Both the volume and the pitch really do change for the
>> >listener standing beside the track.

>> That's because of the Doppler Effect.

>1. It's not because of the Doppler Effect that the volume changes for
>the listener.

>2. So? For the listener... ..the... ...pitch... ...changes.

Not if you were on the train.

Quote:
>Not "appears to change", not "seems to change": DOES change.

>> >> >You also fail to note that the pitch heard is raised ABOVE the pitch
>> >> >heard by someone on the train as the train is approaching.

>> >> I thought that was obvious.  But I made my point.  The Doppler Effect
>> >> changes what you hear from the whistle.  We can all agree on that.

>> >The non-idiots in this conversation can agree that this was all just
>> >more hand-waving by you to avoid admitting you were entirely wrong when
>> >you claimed that the trombone was the only instrument capable of
>> >continuously varying its pitch, and that you were also wrong when you
>> >said that there weren't dozens and dozens more.

>> OK I WAS WRONG.  I thought of a couple.  The bugle, the theremin, the
>> timpani, the saw, and that crazy flute thing with a slide.  Are you
>> happy now?  Go have some pie.

>Happier. Now you've decided to deny that there are dozens and dozens
>more.

>Admit you're wrong about that; show a little "leadership" for once.

There are not dozens and dozens more.  Unless you have a whole band on
a moving train.

And my Yamaha synthesizer is just a plastic box with a whole lot of
buttons and slides.  Do you count my vuvuzela as a real instrument?

Don't drink and drive.  Unless you have a good cup holder.

 
 
 

Horvath=BS

Post by Alan Bake » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:00:29


Quote:


> wrote this crap:

> >> I didn't say that.  I said the pitch of the whistle never changes.  We
> >> all know that from the listeners earpoint the pitch appears to change.
> >> The volume appears to change too.

> >Incorrect (goes without saying).

> >From the listeners earpoint, both the pitch and the volume DO change.

> Everybody knows that.  But I said that the pitch and volume never
> changes.  The whistle plays only one note at one volume and that never
> changes.

You kept insisting it only "appears to change[,] from the listeners
earpoint".

That is wrong.

Quote:

> >> >Incorrect. Both the volume and the pitch really do change for the
> >> >listener standing beside the track.

> >> That's because of the Doppler Effect.

> >1. It's not because of the Doppler Effect that the volume changes for
> >the listener.

> >2. So? For the listener... ..the... ...pitch... ...changes.

> Not if you were on the train.

As I have already said.

Quote:

> >Not "appears to change", not "seems to change": DOES change.

> >> >> >You also fail to note that the pitch heard is raised ABOVE the pitch
> >> >> >heard by someone on the train as the train is approaching.

> >> >> I thought that was obvious.  But I made my point.  The Doppler Effect
> >> >> changes what you hear from the whistle.  We can all agree on that.

> >> >The non-idiots in this conversation can agree that this was all just
> >> >more hand-waving by you to avoid admitting you were entirely wrong when
> >> >you claimed that the trombone was the only instrument capable of
> >> >continuously varying its pitch, and that you were also wrong when you
> >> >said that there weren't dozens and dozens more.

> >> OK I WAS WRONG.  I thought of a couple.  The bugle, the theremin, the
> >> timpani, the saw, and that crazy flute thing with a slide.  Are you
> >> happy now?  Go have some pie.

> >Happier. Now you've decided to deny that there are dozens and dozens
> >more.

> >Admit you're wrong about that; show a little "leadership" for once.

> There are not dozens and dozens more.  Unless you have a whole band on
> a moving train.

So admit you were wrong, or take up my wager. But you're too cowardly,
aren't you?

Quote:

> And my Yamaha synthesizer is just a plastic box with a whole lot of
> buttons and slides.  Do you count my vuvuzela as a real instrument?

Your Yamaha synthesizer is most definitely a real instrument. So is a
vuvuzela, albeit a very poor one.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

Horvath=BS

Post by Horvath1.. » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:37:18


wrote this crap:

Quote:

>> >From the listeners earpoint, both the pitch and the volume DO change.

>> Everybody knows that.  But I said that the pitch and volume never
>> changes.  The whistle plays only one note at one volume and that never
>> changes.

>You kept insisting it only "appears to change[,] from the listeners
>earpoint".

>That is wrong.

Nope. If you were on the train it never changes.

If you were traveling parallel with the train at the same velocity it
would not change.

Now why is it that if you were talking to someone on a cell phone who
was on that train their voice wouldn't change?

Quote:

>> And my Yamaha synthesizer is just a plastic box with a whole lot of
>> buttons and slides.  Do you count my vuvuzela as a real instrument?

>Your Yamaha synthesizer is most definitely a real instrument. So is a
>vuvuzela, albeit a very poor one.

The vuvuzela is a noisemaker.

I once made a list of the ten most annoying instruments.

1.  Bagpipes
2.  Accordion
3.  Gong
4.  Vuvuzela
5.  Jew's Harp
6.  Cowbell
7.  Oboe
8.  Lyre
9. Tuba
10.  Harp.

And for extra credit, Second Fiddle.  Nobody wants to play second
fiddle.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

 
 
 

Horvath=BS

Post by Alan Bake » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:53:52


Quote:


> wrote this crap:

> >> >From the listeners earpoint, both the pitch and the volume DO change.

> >> Everybody knows that.  But I said that the pitch and volume never
> >> changes.  The whistle plays only one note at one volume and that never
> >> changes.

> >You kept insisting it only "appears to change[,] from the listeners
> >earpoint".

> >That is wrong.

> Nope. If you were on the train it never changes.

And if you're not, it does, and you said it didn't.

Quote:

> If you were traveling parallel with the train at the same velocity it
> would not change.

> Now why is it that if you were talking to someone on a cell phone who
> was on that train their voice wouldn't change?

Yet another evasion.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> >> And my Yamaha synthesizer is just a plastic box with a whole lot of
> >> buttons and slides.  Do you count my vuvuzela as a real instrument?

> >Your Yamaha synthesizer is most definitely a real instrument. So is a
> >vuvuzela, albeit a very poor one.

> The vuvuzela is a noisemaker.

> I once made a list of the ten most annoying instruments.

> 1.  Bagpipes
> 2.  Accordion
> 3.  Gong
> 4.  Vuvuzela
> 5.  Jew's Harp
> 6.  Cowbell
> 7.  Oboe
> 8.  Lyre
> 9. Tuba
> 10.  Harp.

> And for extra credit, Second Fiddle.  Nobody wants to play second
> fiddle.

Yet more evasions...

Let's put back some of what you snipped:

Quote:
> > > >> OK I WAS WRONG.  I thought of a couple.  The bugle, the theremin, the
> > > >> timpani, the saw, and that crazy flute thing with a slide.  Are you
> > > >> happy now?  Go have some pie.

> > > >Happier. Now you've decided to deny that there are dozens and dozens
> > > >more.

> > > >Admit you're wrong about that; show a little "leadership" for once.

> > > There are not dozens and dozens more.  Unless you have a whole band on
> > > a moving train.

> > So admit you were wrong, or take up my wager. But you're too cowardly,
> > aren't you?

Well?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

Horvath=BS

Post by unknow » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 03:54:06

***Bath = Self-Deluded Message Board Freak Wtih All The Charm Of Ebola Virus

.

Quote:

> Having  been proven completely wrong all you can come back with is

> idiocy that has no bearing on the question at hand.  Obfuscation when

> you've been shot down is all you have.

> There are threads here that I refuse to be a part of because I'm not

> versed in their issues, but you've waded in on one that has been shown

> to be something of which you know little.

> This makes one think that all of the others in which you claim

> expertise are probably more blathering of a semi-educated buffoon.  

> You can't be taken seriously.