President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Darrell Jefres » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 02:17:47


OK, now that the points system has closed its window, we know who the
automatic qualifiers are. For the US team -

Tiger
Phil
Stricker
Perry
Zach
Cink
O'Hair
Furyk
Kim
Leonard

So who are the likely captain's picks?  Here are the next few from the
standings:
Lucas Glover
Brian Gay
Hunter Mahan
Nick Watney
Dustin Johnson
Jerry Kelly
David Toms

Looking at that list, and based on how well guys have played over the last
couple months, my guess is that Glover and Mahan would seem to be the front
runners. Earlier in the year I probably would have said Watney, but lately
he hasn't played as well.  A better performance by former team member Toms
at Hazeltine might have put him in the running, but a final round 77 can't
have helped his chances.

If someone wants to do a thread for the international team, feel free. If
not, I'll put it up in the next couple of days.

And for those who say "who cares about the #$^^&*^$# President's Cup?", I
promise I won't make you read this thread, and I won't make you watch or
follow the event.

DJJ

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by John van der Pflu » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 02:54:54

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:17:47 -0700, "Darrell Jefress"

Quote:

>OK, now that the points system has closed its window, we know who the
>automatic qualifiers are. For the US team -

>Tiger
>Phil
>Stricker
>Perry
>Zach
>Cink
>O'Hair
>Furyk
>Kim
>Leonard

>So who are the likely captain's picks?  Here are the next few from the
>standings:
>Lucas Glover
>Brian Gay
>Hunter Mahan
>Nick Watney
>Dustin Johnson
>Jerry Kelly
>David Toms

>Looking at that list, and based on how well guys have played over the last
>couple months, my guess is that Glover and Mahan would seem to be the front
>runners. Earlier in the year I probably would have said Watney, but lately
>he hasn't played as well.  A better performance by former team member Toms
>at Hazeltine might have put him in the running, but a final round 77 can't
>have helped his chances.

>If someone wants to do a thread for the international team, feel free. If
>not, I'll put it up in the next couple of days.

>And for those who say "who cares about the #$^^&*^$# President's Cup?", I
>promise I won't make you read this thread, and I won't make you watch or
>follow the event.

I really don't have much insight on who should be the Captain's picks
but I love the team events.  I think they are much more entertaining
than the stroke play tournaments.  I thought the Ryder Cup last year
was one of the most enjoyable golf events to watch on TV in a long
time.  
--
jvdp
Annika Fears Little Red Trucks
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/81628198

http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Howard Braze » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:57:02

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:54:54 -0400, John van der Pflum

Quote:

>I really don't have much insight on who should be the Captain's picks
>but I love the team events.  I think they are much more entertaining
>than the stroke play tournaments.  I thought the Ryder Cup last year
>was one of the most enjoyable golf events to watch on TV in a long
>time.

Agreed.

I want the captain to look who's hot going into his deadline.

--
"In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
to the legislature, and not to the executive department."

- James Madison

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by assimil.. » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:01:41


Quote:
> So who are the likely captain's picks?  Here are the next few from the
> standings:

If I were capt, I would pick Glover and Mahan!

--
bill-o

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Annika198 » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:28:05

Who are the Captains?

The fact that I have to ask says something about the President's Cup.

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Annika198 » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:30:51


Quote:
> Who are the Captains?

 OK, I Googled it.  It's Couples and Norman.

Looks like I won't be playing.  I'd never play for Rat Boy.
However, there have been rumors that I could be a Captain's pick in
the Ryder Cup.
Me and Corey both love to wax that ass, ya know.

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Kenn Smi » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:02:42

I think that I would have to go with Glover and Mahan.  Both played well
in the PGA and have been playing well recently.
 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by R& » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:03:22


Quote:
> OK, now that the points system has closed its window, we know who the
> automatic qualifiers are. For the US team -

> Tiger
> Phil
> Stricker
> Perry
> Zach
> Cink
> O'Hair
> Furyk
> Kim
> Leonard

> So who are the likely captain's picks?  Here are the next few from the
> standings:
> Lucas Glover
> Brian Gay
> Hunter Mahan
> Nick Watney
> Dustin Johnson
> Jerry Kelly
> David Toms

> Looking at that list, and based on how well guys have played over the
> last couple months, my guess is that Glover and Mahan would seem to be
> the front runners. Earlier in the year I probably would have said
> Watney, but lately he hasn't played as well.  A better performance by
> former team member Toms at Hazeltine might have put him in the running,
> but a final round 77 can't have helped his chances.

> If someone wants to do a thread for the international team, feel free.
> If not, I'll put it up in the next couple of days.

> And for those who say "who cares about the #$^^&*^$# President's Cup?",
> I promise I won't make you read this thread, and I won't make you watch
> or follow the event.

> DJJ

Glover and Mahan are, indeed, the obvious choices.  I would consider
David Toms a third choice here.  But given how these Ryder and
Presidents Cup captains seem to swoon over the idea of having veterans
on their teams, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pavin go with
experience and pick Toms.  But you're right -- that final round of Toms
at the PGA won't help his cause.

Randy

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by Darrell Jefres » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:26:32


Quote:
> . . . . . I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pavin go with experience
> and pick Toms.  But you're right -- that final round of Toms at the PGA
> won't help his cause.

Remember, Randy, Pavin is next year's captain.  This year it's Boom-Boom,
who is talking about breaking from the "usual" ways of doing these team
events - whatever that might mean.

Picks won't be made for another two weeks though, including the first
playoff event happening in the interim. So the guys still have some time to
make an impression.

DJJ

 
 
 

President's Cup - USA captain's picks?

Post by John van der Pflu » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:23:13

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:03:22 -0400, "R&B"

Quote:


>> OK, now that the points system has closed its window, we know who the
>> automatic qualifiers are. For the US team -

>> Tiger
>> Phil
>> Stricker
>> Perry
>> Zach
>> Cink
>> O'Hair
>> Furyk
>> Kim
>> Leonard

>> So who are the likely captain's picks?  Here are the next few from the
>> standings:
>> Lucas Glover
>> Brian Gay
>> Hunter Mahan
>> Nick Watney
>> Dustin Johnson
>> Jerry Kelly
>> David Toms

>> Looking at that list, and based on how well guys have played over the
>> last couple months, my guess is that Glover and Mahan would seem to be
>> the front runners. Earlier in the year I probably would have said
>> Watney, but lately he hasn't played as well.  A better performance by
>> former team member Toms at Hazeltine might have put him in the running,
>> but a final round 77 can't have helped his chances.

>> If someone wants to do a thread for the international team, feel free.
>> If not, I'll put it up in the next couple of days.

>> And for those who say "who cares about the #$^^&*^$# President's Cup?",
>> I promise I won't make you read this thread, and I won't make you watch
>> or follow the event.

>> DJJ

>Glover and Mahan are, indeed, the obvious choices.  I would consider
>David Toms a third choice here.  But given how these Ryder and
>Presidents Cup captains seem to swoon over the idea of having veterans
>on their teams, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pavin go with
>experience and pick Toms.  But you're right -- that final round of Toms
>at the PGA won't help his cause.

My only concern with Mahan would be from the Ryder Cup last year.  He
made that bomb on 17 and went nuts.  Then he hits his drive on 18 into
the hazard and ends up halving the match.  Now, of course one shot
does not a career make.  Plus, it was almost a year ago and hopefully
he would have learned from it but I think he would be a great pick.  

PS -- I've like David Toms after he laid up in the PGA and then sank
the putt to win .
--
jvdp
Annika Fears Little Red Trucks
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/81628198

http://www.rsgcincinnati.com