X-12 vs. X-14

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by D. Robert » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Can anyone who has had a fair amount of experience with both the
Callaway X-12 and X-14 irons give me an evaluation of both?  I
want to go for one or the other and don't know which is the
better
buy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by Barrie Smar » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I demo'd both sets of irons recently.  The X14 is a lower profile shape,
whereas the X12 has a more traditional look.  Both sets had the RCH99 shaft
(regular).  Of the 2 I preferred the X-14, but that's just me I guess.
--
Barrie Smart
The Wizard of Oz!

Quote:
> Can anyone who has had a fair amount of experience with both the
> Callaway X-12 and X-14 irons give me an evaluation of both?  I
> want to go for one or the other and don't know which is the
> better
> buy.

> -----------------------------------------------------------

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com


 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by TheSportingLi » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I believe that the x-14 has a slightly more upright lie angle than the x-12.
With the trend going towards more upright lie angles as the "standard," pretty
soon a 3-iron is going to look like a long-putter!

 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by Felicity Lodg » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>Can anyone who has had a fair amount of experience with both the
>Callaway X-12 and X-14 irons give me an evaluation of both?

No, but i have been told that the X-12 has an "offset" which can create
a slight draw (if you hit straight) which the X-14 hasn't got -
otherwise they're virtually the same (X-14 = X-12 mkii ???)

BTW, I've got X-12's with graphite shafts and love them.

Quote:
> I
>want to go for one or the other and don't know which is the
>better
>buy.

>-----------------------------------------------------------

>Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
>Up to 100 minutes free!
>http://www.keen.com

--
Felicity
 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by Matt Aamol » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

There are three 'X' clubs from Callaway.
The 'X-12' lots of offset.
The 'X-12 Pro' not as much offset.
The 'X-14' Lots of offset.

If they came out with an 'X-14 Pro' I (and especially R&B) may be interested

Quote:

> No, but i have been told that the X-12 has an "offset" which can create
> a slight draw (if you hit straight) which the X-14 hasn't got -
> otherwise they're virtually the same (X-14 = X-12 mkii ???)

 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by Geof » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Although Callaway denied any knowledge when  I wrote them, I had a very
interesting conversation with Ian Baker Finch recently at a pro-am he was
playing in.

I mentioned I was not sure whether to get the X-12 Pro Series or the X-14.
He asked me about my game, handicap etc. and said I should hold on from
getting either. His comment was that Callaway will be coming out with the
X-14 Pro Series, which he thought should already be out but felt they might
be waiting for the next PGA show in September.

He thought were that I, being a better golfer (his words not mine <smile>),
would hook the hell out of the X-14's which are out now. But the variable
thickness face would be well worth waiting for in a less offset model.

Soooooo, I couldn't help myself and compromised. While I will get the X-4
Pro Series when they become available, I just picked up a set of the X-12
Pro Series on ebay, added 3/4 " to bring them up to my spec's, and I
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM !!!!! Coming off of playing MP29's the last few years
these new clubs are AWESOME !

Geoff


Quote:
> There are three 'X' clubs from Callaway.
> The 'X-12' lots of offset.
> The 'X-12 Pro' not as much offset.
> The 'X-14' Lots of offset.

> If they came out with an 'X-14 Pro' I (and especially R&B) may be
interested

 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by rds » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

what does it mean that you added 3/4 in? To the length of the shaft? How is
that done?


Quote:
> Although Callaway denied any knowledge when  I wrote them, I had a very
> interesting conversation with Ian Baker Finch recently at a pro-am he was
> playing in.

> I mentioned I was not sure whether to get the X-12 Pro Series or the X-14.
> He asked me about my game, handicap etc. and said I should hold on from
> getting either. His comment was that Callaway will be coming out with the
> X-14 Pro Series, which he thought should already be out but felt they
might
> be waiting for the next PGA show in September.

> He thought were that I, being a better golfer (his words not mine
<smile>),
> would hook the hell out of the X-14's which are out now. But the variable
> thickness face would be well worth waiting for in a less offset model.

> Soooooo, I couldn't help myself and compromised. While I will get the X-4
> Pro Series when they become available, I just picked up a set of the X-12
> Pro Series on ebay, added 3/4 " to bring them up to my spec's, and I
> ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM !!!!! Coming off of playing MP29's the last few years
> these new clubs are AWESOME !

> Geoff



> > There are three 'X' clubs from Callaway.
> > The 'X-12' lots of offset.
> > The 'X-12 Pro' not as much offset.
> > The 'X-14' Lots of offset.

> > If they came out with an 'X-14 Pro' I (and especially R&B) may be
> interested

 
 
 

X-12 vs. X-14

Post by TheSportingLi » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>I just picked up a set of the X-12
>Pro Series on ebay, added 3/4 " to bring them up to my spec's, and I
>ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM !!!!! Coming off of playing MP29's the last few years

You went from playing MP-29s to the player's version of a "brick on a stick?"
That's quite a transition!