OT: pop-ups

OT: pop-ups

Post by bighorn_bi » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:05:34


I usually access this group through google.  Lately on my machine
using IE this has become pop-up hell, even after installing the
google pop-up blocker.  I notice that when I use IE on my wife's
machine I don't have the same problem.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't
installed any pop-up blocking software.

I installed netscape 7.1, and it has eliminated the pop-ups, but it
also seems slower (just my unscientific perception).

Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
(free?) programs to clean this problem up?

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Bill » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:10:50

http://www.webwasher.com/client/home/index.html?lang=de_EN

works well and its free.

Bill


Quote:
> I usually access this group through google.  Lately on my machine
> using IE this has become pop-up hell, even after installing the
> google pop-up blocker.  I notice that when I use IE on my wife's
> machine I don't have the same problem.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't
> installed any pop-up blocking software.

> I installed netscape 7.1, and it has eliminated the pop-ups, but it
> also seems slower (just my unscientific perception).

> Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> (free?) programs to clean this problem up?


 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by gm » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:15:39

Not likely a virus causing pop-ups but could be some sort of advertising
software that has sneakily installed itself on your machine. I'm not an
expert on this stuff but I run a program called Ad-Aware periodically and it
seems to help. They have a commercial version and a free version. The free
version is perfectly functional and you can get it at
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ .

glenn

Quote:

> Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> (free?) programs to clean this problem up?


 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Dave Jone » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:17:41


Quote:
> I usually access this group through google.  Lately on my machine
> using IE this has become pop-up hell, even after installing the
> google pop-up blocker.  I notice that when I use IE on my wife's
> machine I don't have the same problem.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't
> installed any pop-up blocking software.

> I installed netscape 7.1, and it has eliminated the pop-ups, but it
> also seems slower (just my unscientific perception).

> Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> (free?) programs to clean this problem up?

you're adware infected! There are some good free and low cost removal
programs out there. I use Spykiller (www.spykiller.com)
--
Dave Jones
RSG Roll Call http://rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=jonesd
 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by bighorn_bi » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:48:54

Quote:

> Not likely a virus causing pop-ups but could be some sort of advertising
> software that has sneakily installed itself on your machine. I'm not an
> expert on this stuff but I run a program called Ad-Aware periodically and it
> seems to help. They have a commercial version and a free version. The free
> version is perfectly functional and you can get it at
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ .

> glenn

> > Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> > (free?) programs to clean this problem up?

I tried out the three programs mentioned, and liked this one best.
Spykiller wanted $40 to actually remove the adware; this one is free.
The other program appears to be to just block the pop-ups rather than
delete the adware.

Thanks to all!

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Dave Clar » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:19:18


Quote:
>Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
>(free?) programs to clean this problem up?

You may have some spyware/adware on your machine.  Do a search of  your files
and see if "gator" shows up anywhere.  You can get free software that will find
that stuff and delete it from your machine.  Do a search on Ad-aware.

What I don't understand is how anyone can read usenet using google as their main
source.  That would drive me crazy.  Even if your ISP doesn't have a news
server, the free server in Berlin works great!

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
RSG Roll Call http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Elmo » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:23:17

Quote:

> I usually access this group through google.  Lately on my machine
> using IE this has become pop-up hell, even after installing the
> google pop-up blocker.  I notice that when I use IE on my wife's
> machine I don't have the same problem.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't
> installed any pop-up blocking software.

> I installed netscape 7.1, and it has eliminated the pop-ups, but it
> also seems slower (just my unscientific perception).

> Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> (free?) programs to clean this problem up?

Spybot is free:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

--


Joe   =o)

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Miss Anne Thro » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:58:28

If I were you, I'd just be thankful that anyone cared enough to send you
spam.  
 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by bighorn_bi » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:18:59

Quote:

> What I don't understand is how anyone can read usenet using google as their main
> source.  That would drive me crazy.  Even if your ISP doesn't have a news
> server, the free server in Berlin works great!

With DSL, google works fine for me - as long as the google servers are
working OK.  I actually like seeing the entire thread, and related threads
from the past with the same subject name.  The only downside to google
is the lag between things getting posted and when they show up in google,
which is several hours, at least.  But that's OK with me, I like dealing
with newsgroups as a batch activity, anyway.

I've used newsreaders before - gnus, rn, and agent, so it's not like I
don't know what I'm missing.

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Dave Clar » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:45:18


Quote:

>> What I don't understand is how anyone can read usenet using google as their main
>> source.  That would drive me crazy.  Even if your ISP doesn't have a news
>> server, the free server in Berlin works great!

>With DSL, google works fine for me - as long as the google servers are
>working OK.  I actually like seeing the entire thread, and related threads
>from the past with the same subject name.  The only downside to google
>is the lag between things getting posted and when they show up in google,
>which is several hours, at least.  But that's OK with me, I like dealing
>with newsgroups as a batch activity, anyway.

Back in July I started a thread in rec.bicycles.racing.  Later in the thread,
this guy rips me for starting a thread similar to his.  But he started his on
some web-based cycling forum that feeds into Usenet, and it didn't show up until
something like 16 hours later.  What a maroon.

Quote:

>I've used newsreaders before - gnus, rn, and agent, so it's not like I
>don't know what I'm missing.

Good 'nuff.  Different strokes......

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
RSG Roll Call http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by Carbo » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:01:18

Quote:

> I usually access this group through google.  Lately on my machine using
> IE this has become pop-up hell, even after installing the google pop-up
> blocker.  I notice that when I use IE on my wife's machine I don't have
> the same problem.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't installed any pop-up
> blocking software.

> I installed netscape 7.1, and it has eliminated the pop-ups, but it also
> seems slower (just my unscientific perception).

> Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there
> cheap (free?) programs to clean this problem up?

You definitely have some sort of spyware on your computer. Generally when
I de-hose a windows machine I download the latest version of ad-aware
(www.lavasoft.de/support/download) and spybot search & destroy
(security.kolla.de) and run them both, deleting all the stuff it suggests.
Note that this will probably disable the program(s) that the spyware
piggy-backed in on. I run ad-aware first, because spybot will often ask to
reboot and run again on startup so it can nuke all the auto-run stuff.

My take on netscape being slower than internet explorer: Microsoft
preloads IE - it only seems to load fast because it's running all the
time. Mozilla has a quickstart option that'll make it run all the time as
well, so I imagine netscape has it as well. However, mozilla/netscape is a
large integrated browser suite, and if you're after speed and don't need
an email client, firebird (www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/) is what you
want. I use a p233 at work and it's fine even on that. It's stable, fast
and it offers better protection than IE: blocks pop-ups, selectively
blocks cookies, stops gifs from animating, etc. Plus it has tabbed
browsing, which I find I can't (won't) do without.

Another program I use on windows machines is the proximitron
(www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~tengu/proxomitron/download.html). It's a web proxy
that strips all the ads and spother garbage, and between it and firebird
the web can be downright pleasant. Quite a change from the constant
bombardment you're subjected to with IE.

Just to be on the safe side, you'll want to run a virus scanner. You can
get AVG (www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php) free for personal use, and
it's good enough. You'll also need a firewall if you're not using one. I
prefer kerio (www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html), but lots of folks like
Zone Alarm too.

--
remove nospam. to reply

 
 
 

OT: pop-ups

Post by JJVP » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:45:12

I use google while at work. The work firewall does not allow newsgroup
access, so I don't have a choice.

JJVP


Quote:


> >Has some kind of pop-up virus infected IE on my machine?  Are there cheap
> >(free?) programs to clean this problem up?

> You may have some spyware/adware on your machine.  Do a search of  your
files
> and see if "gator" shows up anywhere.  You can get free software that will
find
> that stuff and delete it from your machine.  Do a search on Ad-aware.

> What I don't understand is how anyone can read usenet using google as
their main
> source.  That would drive me crazy.  Even if your ISP doesn't have a news
> server, the free server in Berlin works great!

> Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
> Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
> RSG Roll Call http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd