Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by KPH » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:12:12


Quote:

>Can anyone tell me the pros/cons to these?  I'm a mid-handicapper.  I don't
>want anything which I'm going to out-progress too quickly.  Which is the
>better of these two iron sets?

>BTW.  the Maxfli's are not the "mid-size".

>Thanks,
>Basim S. Jaber
>Santa Clara, CA

Try this:

http://www.golfreview.com/reviews/irons/

You might even find a few other clubs to make your choice even harder!

Good hunting,

KPH

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by Rich » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:16:10

Basim...

The suggestion by KPH to read the reviews is an excellent one.

You should note, once you find your first set of clubs that really fit
and feel great, it is very difficult to improve. A new set of clubs can
instill a false sense of confidence which may produce results in the
short run, but the real improvements will work with any club.

Be careful!  Don't let yourself get caught up in the "club chase". Once
you have a decent set of clubs, your dollars are much better spent on
lessons and playing golf.  Some where down the road, you can have a pro
re-evaluate your clubs and possibly offer a suggestion. However, if the
set you own are properly fitted, the pro will usually direct you in the
direction of fixing your execution rather than selling you a new set of
clubs.

I have no direct experience with either of the clubs you mention. But I
do have experience with quite a few others. Searching for something that
"feels right" in your hands, is definitely worth the effort. But a
comfortable fitting club is just the first step.

What are you playing with now?

Richard

Quote:

> Can anyone tell me the pros/cons to these?  I'm a mid-handicapper.  I don't
> want anything which I'm going to out-progress too quickly.  Which is the
> better of these two iron sets?

> BTW.  the Maxfli's are not the "mid-size".

> Thanks,
> Basim S. Jaber
> Santa Clara, CA


 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by Rich » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:28:21

Opps...

Should have read...

A new set of clubs can instill a false sense of confidence which may
produce results in the short run, but the real improvements you'll see
by working on your swing, will work with any club.

Richard

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by bjabe » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Richard,

Thanks for the assistance.  I'm actually just looking for a second set of
clubs for travel.  I already have a set of Ping i3 O-size, custom fit, Z-Z65
Cushin steel shafts, etc.  I travel a lot for work and don't feel
comfortable taking them with me, so I was going to pick up a set of used
clubs for golf outings with clients.  My only gripe about the Ping's is that
they were initially fit for me at +3 lie angle (white dot) and I've been
meaning to send them back to Ping for refitting to take them down to +1, but
I've been golfing about twice every week and I don't have a second set of
clubs to fall back on while the Ping's are away for service.  So a second
set for me is inevitable.  :-)

Basim


Quote:
> Basim...

> What are you playing with now?

> Richard

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by Rich » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Basim...

The Pings are a very nice club.  You might look into the steel shafted
Tommy Armour 845s which you can buy in the $300 range. You might find
they play very similar to the i3-O irons.

I also have the Pings setup at +3/white dot and +1/2 in length. I found
I need to make sure I didn't reach out to far to the ball or I would
often pull the ball more to the left as the hosel end of the club made
contact. I could probably dial back to +1 or +2, but I like to really go
at the ball sometimes, and i would rather have the fitting error favor a
draw than a push.

good luck with your 2nd set purchase.

Richard

Quote:

> Richard,

> Thanks for the assistance.  I'm actually just looking for a second set of
> clubs for travel.  I already have a set of Ping i3 O-size, custom fit, Z-Z65
> Cushin steel shafts, etc.  I travel a lot for work and don't feel
> comfortable taking them with me, so I was going to pick up a set of used
> clubs for golf outings with clients.  My only gripe about the Ping's is that
> they were initially fit for me at +3 lie angle (white dot) and I've been
> meaning to send them back to Ping for refitting to take them down to +1, but
> I've been golfing about twice every week and I don't have a second set of
> clubs to fall back on while the Ping's are away for service.  So a second
> set for me is inevitable.  :-)

> Basim



> > Basim...

> > What are you playing with now?

> > Richard

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by bjabe » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Ya, that's exactly what I have too...+3 with +1/2" length.  I too often draw
the ball a bit.  Occasionally too much.  I like the Z-Z65 stiff flex shaft,
but sometimes I'm just not producing enough downforce to cause it to offset
the clubhead down enough.  So I figure going back down to a +2 lie angle
would be best.

Thanks for the (added) input.

Basim


Quote:
> Basim...

> The Pings are a very nice club.  You might look into the steel shafted
> Tommy Armour 845s which you can buy in the $300 range. You might find
> they play very similar to the i3-O irons.

> I also have the Pings setup at +3/white dot and +1/2 in length. I found
> I need to make sure I didn't reach out to far to the ball or I would
> often pull the ball more to the left as the hosel end of the club made
> contact. I could probably dial back to +1 or +2, but I like to really go
> at the ball sometimes, and i would rather have the fitting error favor a
> draw than a push.

> good luck with your 2nd set purchase.

> Richard

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by Rich » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Basim...

One thing I have noticed in the "too much draw" department... it mainly
happens with the SW, a bit less with the PW and even a bit less with the
9i, and I don't notice the problem at all with the 8i on up.

So, I made a setup change with my 9i, PW & SW, where I left the club
face just ever so slightly open at address.

However, more recently, I have gone back to a square setup and playing
my shots just to the right. With this adjustment, I find my shots end up
either on the pin or just right. Then the occasional pull ends up just
left rather than missing the green on the left.

I should mention, the errant shot to the left is as much a swing path
problem as it may be the lie angle of the club. I believe a good swing
keeps the errant draw with in acceptable range, while a closing club
face with a slight out/in swing does the most damage. So I try to keep
my swing in check just as much as I try to make nice square contact with
the turf.

I played on Sunday with the intent of focusing on nothing but paying
attention to making a good swing and bring the ball just a bit to the
left or straight away. I only missed one postage stamp green to the
right, which was more a problem of allowing too much credit for wind
pushing the ball left.  And I only had a couple of shots pull way left,
and they were 9i shots. All in all, I feel like the problem can be kept
under control much better than when things are fading off to the right.

Richard

Quote:

> Ya, that's exactly what I have too...+3 with +1/2" length.  I too often draw
> the ball a bit.  Occasionally too much.  I like the Z-Z65 stiff flex shaft,
> but sometimes I'm just not producing enough downforce to cause it to offset
> the clubhead down enough.  So I figure going back down to a +2 lie angle
> would be best.

> Thanks for the (added) input.

> Basim



> > Basim...

> > The Pings are a very nice club.  You might look into the steel shafted
> > Tommy Armour 845s which you can buy in the $300 range. You might find
> > they play very similar to the i3-O irons.

> > I also have the Pings setup at +3/white dot and +1/2 in length. I found
> > I need to make sure I didn't reach out to far to the ball or I would
> > often pull the ball more to the left as the hosel end of the club made
> > contact. I could probably dial back to +1 or +2, but I like to really go
> > at the ball sometimes, and i would rather have the fitting error favor a
> > draw than a push.

> > good luck with your 2nd set purchase.

> > Richard

 
 
 

Callaway X-12's vs. MaxFli Revolution irons..

Post by jio » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Basim,
I also have a set of Ping i3 O-size. Used to have a set of Tommy Amour 845's
(#?).IMHO they have very similar balance and overall feel and playability. The
i3's seem a tad more forgiving, the 845's slightly more feedback. Long irons on
the i3's more consistent through the set. Great deals can be had on the 845's
and if I were shopping for a travel set, would be a great choice.
Hope this helps,
jim