"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Fred Taylo » Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:57:54


Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is an
acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
Unbelievably Rich"?

It makes sense to use the fully capitalized form ("TOUR") when mentioned as
part of the PGA Tour's registered trademark. For example: "PGA TOUR (R)" is
a registered trademark of the PGA of America. I can see how one would insist
that it be in all-caps when talking about the trademark since the word
"tour" happens to be in all-caps in the logo. In any other context, the
PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as silly
as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol. (Of
course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty silly.)
Even in this newsgroup, I've noticed that many posters meticulously spell
out "PGA TOUR" in all-caps (amid all the typos and spelling errors). I can
only assume that this is due to the tireless work of the spelling police
that patrol this newsgroup.

I've actually seen some posts in this newgroup wherein the poster berates
another for not capitalizing "Tour". IMO, this kind of hairsplitting is
ridiculous, but I would assume one could use the lower case and proper case
forms of the word in the following contexts without getting these nitpickers
on our backs:

When referring to the "PGA Tour", the entity, it makes sense to use the
proper case ("Tour"). For example: Tiger Woods plays on the PGA Tour. For
brevity in subsequent references to the entity, one could simply refer to it
as "the Tour". However, in this context, the same shortened form "the Tour"
could also be applied to the LPGA Tour, the Nationwide Tour, and the
Champions Tour if these other tours were the topic of conversation.

When you are talking in general terms about some professional playing on
some professional tour, there is nothing wrong with using the all-lower case
form ("tour"). For example: Tiger Woods, Annika Sorenstam, and Craig Stadler
are professional golfers that regularaly play on tour throughout the year.
In this context, "on tour" simply means that they travel around to
participate in tournaments.

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Colin Wilso » Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:47:28

Quote:

> When referring to the "PGA Tour", the entity, it makes sense to use the
> proper case ("Tour"). For example: Tiger Woods plays on the PGA Tour. For
> brevity in subsequent references to the entity, one could simply refer to it
> as "the Tour". However, in this context, the same shortened form "the Tour"
> could also be applied to the LPGA Tour, the Nationwide Tour, and the
> Champions Tour if these other tours were the topic of conversation.

> When you are talking in general terms about some professional playing on
> some professional tour, there is nothing wrong with using the all-lower case
> form ("tour"). For example: Tiger Woods, Annika Sorenstam, and Craig Stadler
> are professional golfers that regularaly play on tour throughout the year.
> In this context, "on tour" simply means that they travel around to
> participate in tournaments.

A lot of words to just say one's a proper noun and one isn't. ;-)

People in corporations seem to love capitalising important words, or
using title case when it's not warranted. Good editors know when to
remove it.

--
Cheers
Colin Wilson
------------------------------------------------------------------
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=wilsonc
Trentham Golf Club: http://www.trenthamgolf.com
------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Matt Aamol » Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:16:41


Quote:
> Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is
an
> acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> Unbelievably Rich"?

> SNIP >

You think too much

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by john » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:40:25

Quote:

> Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is an
> acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> Unbelievably Rich"?

> .... In any other context, the
> PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as silly
> as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
> insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol. (Of
> course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty silly.)

How is using his given name "pretty silly" ?
 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by blun » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:45:20

Quote:

> Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is an
> acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> Unbelievably Rich"?

Because of a confusion between the PGA and PGA Tour.  It is easy to
see why they opted for PGA TOUR.  Most people read PGA and think of
the Professional Golfers Association and not of the PGA TOUR which is
a completely separate entity.

I guess this is not so much the case anymore.  get it.. case  =)

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by The moderato » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:06:15



Quote:
> > Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is
an
> > acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> > Unbelievably Rich"?

> Because of a confusion between the PGA and PGA Tour.  It is easy to
> see why they opted for PGA TOUR.  Most people read PGA and think of
> the Professional Golfers Association and not of the PGA TOUR which is
> a completely separate entity.

> I guess this is not so much the case anymore.  get it.. case  =)

Perhaps they are using it to distinguish themselves from the 'Potato Growers
of Alberta'.

Who remembers the old pga.com?

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by \ » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:48:12

All I can tell you is this ... when I worked for the TOUR, their "official"
instructions to us were to put it in all caps at all times.  It is, in fact,
a copyrighted term, so I suppose that's why they told us to do it that way,
though I never asked any of their legal people why.  None of my damn
business WHY they do it.  I can tell you that all their in-house
correspondence is written that way, and pretty much any time you see it in
writing (when it comes from them), like in articles written by PGA TOUR
officials that are posted to their website, it's written that way.  (Some
articles there are written by *** writers -- like Melanie Hauser, and
others -- and I'm not sure if they always write it that way.  But any time
something comes from the on-site media officials of the TOUR, they *always*
write it that way.)  That's why I always write it in all-caps, and I
probably always will.  Because that's the way the TOUR told me was correct,
and it's the way they want it done.  Hey, it's their name, so they're
entitled to say how it should be written.  If I licensed you to use my name,
I wouldn't want you writing it rAnDy.

If I'm not mistaken (and I certainly could be), I believe the PGA TOUR also
has the name "TOUR" copyrighted, so that may be the reason for the all-caps.
I mean, "Tour" is used by other tours, but I don't think they use European
TOUR for just that reason -- the all caps version is "owned" by the PGA
TOUR.  I think that's right, anyway.

Yes, it's hair-splitting, but them's the copyright rules, and none of the
tours want to step on each others' toes.  Or TOES, depending on whose toes
we're talking about.  :-)

It's like the difference between Coke and coke.  Two different things, two
different meanings.  The TOUR is the PGA TOUR.  A tour could be any tour,
including one through the mountains or a residential development.  A horse
is a horse, of course, of course.  Unless it's a HORSE.  But I digress...

I never worked for the LPGA, so I don't know whether their officials want
their "tour" referred to as a Tour or TOUR or just the LPGA.  Same with the
European Tour.  Or TOUR.  Or tour.  I've never been told by anyone official,
so I don't pay much attention to which way is correct.

But I *have* been told what's correct by PGA TOUR people, so that's how I
write it.

Randy


Quote:
> Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is
an
> acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> Unbelievably Rich"?

> It makes sense to use the fully capitalized form ("TOUR") when mentioned
as
> part of the PGA Tour's registered trademark. For example: "PGA TOUR (R)"
is
> a registered trademark of the PGA of America. I can see how one would
insist
> that it be in all-caps when talking about the trademark since the word
> "tour" happens to be in all-caps in the logo. In any other context, the
> PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as
silly
> as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
> insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol. (Of
> course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty
silly.)
> Even in this newsgroup, I've noticed that many posters meticulously spell
> out "PGA TOUR" in all-caps (amid all the typos and spelling errors). I can
> only assume that this is due to the tireless work of the spelling police
> that patrol this newsgroup.

> I've actually seen some posts in this newgroup wherein the poster berates
> another for not capitalizing "Tour". IMO, this kind of hairsplitting is
> ridiculous, but I would assume one could use the lower case and proper
case
> forms of the word in the following contexts without getting these
nitpickers
> on our backs:

> When referring to the "PGA Tour", the entity, it makes sense to use the
> proper case ("Tour"). For example: Tiger Woods plays on the PGA Tour. For
> brevity in subsequent references to the entity, one could simply refer to
it
> as "the Tour". However, in this context, the same shortened form "the
Tour"
> could also be applied to the LPGA Tour, the Nationwide Tour, and the
> Champions Tour if these other tours were the topic of conversation.

> When you are talking in general terms about some professional playing on
> some professional tour, there is nothing wrong with using the all-lower
case
> form ("tour"). For example: Tiger Woods, Annika Sorenstam, and Craig
Stadler
> are professional golfers that regularaly play on tour throughout the year.
> In this context, "on tour" simply means that they travel around to
> participate in tournaments.

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Fred Taylo » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:28:05



Quote:
> > Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is
an
> > acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> > Unbelievably Rich"?

> > .... In any other context, the
> > PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as
silly
> > as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
> > insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol.
(Of
> > course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty
silly.)

> How is using his given name "pretty silly" ?

I'm saying it's a silly given name. It's a common name for a dog, but not
for a human.
 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by David Sneddo » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:35:30

Quote:





>>>Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR" is

> an

>>>acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
>>>Unbelievably Rich"?

>>>.... In any other context, the
>>>PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as

> silly

>>>as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
>>>insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol.

> (Of

>>>course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty

> silly.)

>>How is using his given name "pretty silly" ?

> I'm saying it's a silly given name. It's a common name for a dog, but not
> for a human.

Hmmmm...our old cat, now deceased, was named "Tiger".........

David

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by raj » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 05:59:27


Quote:





> >>>Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR"
is

> > an

> >>>acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of the
> >>>Unbelievably Rich"?

> >>>.... In any other context, the
> >>>PGA's insistence that its tour be referred to as the "PGA TOUR" is as

> > silly

> >>>as the man formerly known as "the man formerly known as Prince" once
> >>>insisting that his name be represented by some unpronounceable symbol.

> > (Of

> >>>course, he just calls himself "Prince" again, which is still pretty

> > silly.)

> >>How is using his given name "pretty silly" ?

> > I'm saying it's a silly given name. It's a common name for a dog, but
not
> > for a human.

> Hmmmm...our old cat, now deceased, was named "Tiger".........

> David

And Ernie is a puppet on Sesame Street ... :-)

Bob

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Colin Wilso » Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:23:47

Quote:

> If I licensed you to use my name,
> I wouldn't want you writing it rAnDy.

Ha ... these are the same bunch of linguistic morons who insist on
writing "AustralAsia" when it comes to our tour.

--
Cheers
Colin Wilson
------------------------------------------------------------------
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=wilsonc
Trentham Golf Club: http://www.trenthamgolf.com
------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

"Tour" vs. "TOUR" vs. "tour"

Post by Pse » Sun, 02 May 2004 05:59:19

Quote:

> Why does the PGA insist on calling itself the "PGA TOUR" as if "TOUR"
> is an acronym? If it is an acronym, what does it stand for? "Tour Of
> the Unbelievably Rich"?

     I see your point, but still you're calling yourself Taylor and I bet
you don't even know how to sew.

- Pse