ABT swing anybody?

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Horvath1.. » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 02:36:59



wrote this crap:

Quote:
>> >> I think you should check your notes.  Speed is a variable and velocity
>> >> is a constant.

>> >You are (and this is getting to be quite a habit with you).

>> >> Do you have a speedometer on your car or a velocitymeter?

>> >The device in your car isn't measuring direction, so it can't be
>> >providing you a velocity.

>> I have a GPS in my car.

>Which is another evasion piled on your previous evasion.

>Your reference was clear to contrast with the SPEEDometer, which is
>correctly called a SPEEDometer and not a velocitymeter precisely because
>it does't give you direction to go along with the scalar quantity that a
>speed measurement is.

Everybody knows what a speedometer is. Everybody knows what a GPS is.
The GPS gives me speed and direction.  Everybody knows this.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Howard Braze » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 03:02:46



Quote:
>3. The do not consider velocity to be constant. That is utterest
>nonsense.

Reality doesn't always make sense.

--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
their thinking for them.

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Alan Bake » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:37:24


Quote:


> wrote this crap:

> >> Wikipedia is not always correct.  A book written in 1839 is not really
> >> a good source.

> >1. The book wasn't written in 1839, you simpleton. The author was BORN
> >in 1839.

> >2. Even if it had been written in 1839, classical mechanics had been
> >worked out long since.

> I'm of the opinion that scientists learn new things ever day.

They haven't redefined what velocity is.

Quote:

> >> I give a class at the local airport to student pilots on radio
> >> procedure. I have to explain to them what Zulu time is.  I planned to
> >> print out a list of all time zones in the world.  Wikipedia has 25
> >> time zones listed.  Clearly a mistake.  BTW, you are in the Juliet
> >> time zone.  I am also in the Juliet time zone.

> >> Nevertheless, mathematicians consider speed to be a variable and
> >> velocity to be a constant.  Because speed can change and velocity is a
> >> constant.  And as I said before, everything is a vector.  Even if it
> >> is standing still, it's a zero vector.

> >3. The do not consider velocity to be constant. That is utterest
> >nonsense.

> That's your opinion.

It's the fact.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Alan Bake » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:39:53


Quote:


> wrote this crap:

> >> >> I think you should check your notes.  Speed is a variable and velocity
> >> >> is a constant.

> >> >You are (and this is getting to be quite a habit with you).

> >> >> Do you have a speedometer on your car or a velocitymeter?

> >> >The device in your car isn't measuring direction, so it can't be
> >> >providing you a velocity.

> >> I have a GPS in my car.

> >Which is another evasion piled on your previous evasion.

> >Your reference was clear to contrast with the SPEEDometer, which is
> >correctly called a SPEEDometer and not a velocitymeter precisely because
> >it does't give you direction to go along with the scalar quantity that a
> >speed measurement is.

> Everybody knows what a speedometer is. Everybody knows what a GPS is.
> The GPS gives me speed and direction.  Everybody knows this.

No.

You asked, "Do you have a speedometer on your car or a velocitymeter?"

And the answer is, "A speedometer. It's called that because while it
reports the scalar quantity of speed, it doesn't give the direction
component that is necessary to report a velocity.

Velocity is not a constant.

A car heading north at 60 mph has twice the velocity of a car heading
north at 30 mph.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Alan Bake » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:41:02



Quote:


> >3. The do not consider velocity to be constant. That is utterest
> >nonsense.

> Reality doesn't always make sense.

And you're supporting Horvath's delusions... ...why, exactly?

Velocity is not considered a constant. It is clearly a varying vector
quantity.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Howard Braze » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:36:39



Quote:
>> >3. The do not consider velocity to be constant. That is utterest
>> >nonsense.

>> Reality doesn't always make sense.

>And you're supporting Horvath's delusions... ...why, exactly?

I'm saying that what people think is nonsense is sometimes real.

Where sense and reality disagree, we should pick reality.    The speed
of light being a constant is an obvious example.   Quantum
entanglement is another.

Quote:
>Velocity is not considered a constant. It is clearly a varying vector
>quantity.

To me, that isn't nonsense.   But it doesn't matter whether I or
Horvath or you think it makes sense.   It's reality.

--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
their thinking for them.

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Alan Bake » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 23:18:04



Quote:


> >> >3. The do not consider velocity to be constant. That is utterest
> >> >nonsense.

> >> Reality doesn't always make sense.

> >And you're supporting Horvath's delusions... ...why, exactly?

> I'm saying that what people think is nonsense is sometimes real.

> Where sense and reality disagree, we should pick reality.    The speed
> of light being a constant is an obvious example.   Quantum
> entanglement is another.

Sometimes, yes. But that doesn't apply in this case.

Quote:

> >Velocity is not considered a constant. It is clearly a varying vector
> >quantity.

> To me, that isn't nonsense.   But it doesn't matter whether I or
> Horvath or you think it makes sense.   It's reality.

I agree. But introducing examples of where reality defies common sense
into a conversation where reality follows it just fine doesn't seem very
helpful to me, that's all.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Howard Braze » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 02:57:31



Quote:
>> To me, that isn't nonsense.   But it doesn't matter whether I or
>> Horvath or you think it makes sense.   It's reality.

>I agree. But introducing examples of where reality defies common sense
>into a conversation where reality follows it just fine doesn't seem very
>helpful to me, that's all.

When we see how many political arguments ignore what people don't wish
to see in real life, I wish reality counted more.

I saw a cartoon today where two people were agreeing on how we were
destroying the future for our children.   Then we found one was
talking about debt, and the other was talking about climate change.

--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
their thinking for them.

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Howard Braze » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 06:07:46



Quote:
>I can present lots of people that say the earth is flat and that we
>never landed on the moon.

>Presenting the idea that nonsensical ideas should be treated with
>validity simply because a lot of people hold them is nonsense in itself.

When deciding upon your golf shot trajectory, that concept is
adequate.

--
Anybody who agrees with one side all of the time or disagrees with the
other side all of the time is equally guilty of letting others do
their thinking for them.

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Alan Bake » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:56:49



Quote:


> >I can present lots of people that say the earth is flat and that we
> >never landed on the moon.

> >Presenting the idea that nonsensical ideas should be treated with
> >validity simply because a lot of people hold them is nonsense in itself.

> When deciding upon your golf shot trajectory, that concept is
> adequate.

"Adequate"... ...perhaps.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

 
 
 

ABT swing anybody?

Post by Horvath1.. » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:30:28


wrote this crap:

Quote:




>> >I can present lots of people that say the earth is flat and that we
>> >never landed on the moon.

The Earth is flat.  You can see it yourself.  If you go to 43.080N and
79.071W you will be at a place where you can see for yourself, water
running off the edge of the Earth.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe