High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Dave Le » Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:43:55


For purposes of this discussion we'll assume that the referenced "Tour"
balls are:

ProVIx
Callaway HX Tour
Nike One
Precept U-Tri Tour

The 'Spin' balls are:

ProVI
Callaway HX Blue (3 piece)
Nike TA2 Spn
Strata Tour Ultimate (no longer made)

I've been playing around with these in the chipping area and it seems really
clear to me that it is WAY easier for me to put "one hop and (mostly) stop"
spin on the 'Spin' balls when hit with either my SW or LW from 15-30 yards
vs. the referenced 'Tour' balls (I guess this would not be considered a
complete surprise) . Interestingly not only do the spin balls act
differently
I can actually hear the difference when they hit the green (assuming that
they were crisply struck).

Do others (particularly those who have chosen "Tour" balls) have the same
experience (a large difference in the 15-30 yard area)? Now that I am
finally out of Strata Tour Ultimates (bought 6 dozen at a great price a long
while back) my ball of choice is the ProV1. Given how much longer they last
than the Strata's I was playing, the cost delta isn't as extreme as I
initially thought - and the "PRACTICE" version for the V1 also helps.

FWIW the Callaway HX Red and Nike TA2 LNG seem to be closer to the 'Tour'
balls than to 'Spin' balls (but I would not consider either 'less spinny'
than the 'Tour" balls).

Thanks.

dave

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Dave Le » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:02:16

Re: Attached

As I understand things, right-wing conservatives pretty much all play "Tour"
balls while left-wing liberals almost always play "spin" balls. Just thought
that I'd drum up some interest in this otherwise ignored thread :-)

dave


Quote:
> For purposes of this discussion we'll assume that the referenced "Tour"
> balls are:

> ProVIx
> Callaway HX Tour
> Nike One
> Precept U-Tri Tour

> The 'Spin' balls are:

> ProVI
> Callaway HX Blue (3 piece)
> Nike TA2 Spn
> Strata Tour Ultimate (no longer made)

> I've been playing around with these in the chipping area and it seems
really
> clear to me that it is WAY easier for me to put "one hop and (mostly)
stop"
> spin on the 'Spin' balls when hit with either my SW or LW from 15-30 yards
> vs. the referenced 'Tour' balls (I guess this would not be considered a
> complete surprise) . Interestingly not only do the spin balls act
> differently
> I can actually hear the difference when they hit the green (assuming that
> they were crisply struck).

> Do others (particularly those who have chosen "Tour" balls) have the same
> experience (a large difference in the 15-30 yard area)? Now that I am
> finally out of Strata Tour Ultimates (bought 6 dozen at a great price a
long
> while back) my ball of choice is the ProV1. Given how much longer they
last
> than the Strata's I was playing, the cost delta isn't as extreme as I
> initially thought - and the "PRACTICE" version for the V1 also helps.

> FWIW the Callaway HX Red and Nike TA2 LNG seem to be closer to the 'Tour'
> balls than to 'Spin' balls (but I would not consider either 'less spinny'
> than the 'Tour" balls).

> Thanks.

> dave


 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by bill- » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:09:15

Quote:

> Re: Attached

> As I understand things, right-wing conservatives pretty much all play "Tour"
> balls while left-wing liberals almost always play "spin" balls. Just thought
> that I'd drum up some interest in this otherwise ignored thread :-)

I think you have it wrong Dave, the party in power plays the
"spin" ball, whereas the opposition plays a two-piece. Real
golfers play tour balls!

--
bill-o

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Pontiac49 » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:55:31


Quote:
> Re: Attached
> As I understand things, right-wing conservatives pretty much all play
"Tour"
> balls while left-wing liberals almost always play "spin" balls. Just
thought
> that I'd drum up some interest in this otherwise ignored thread :-)
> dave

I had a V1x go left on me today. Damn thing must have been made in CA.  ;)

As far as the original post, the catagories are kind of different than the
way I look at them.
I look at it as, "can I stop the ball on a hard green and what's if feel
like."
From your 15-30 yd distance, it better be struck crisp or it's gonna be
ugly.
I can't tell the difference in sound when they hit the green like you can.
#1. My hearing isn't worth a damn.
#2.  I don't care if it screams and crys for momma as long as it does it
next to the hole or in it.

I'm biased to the V1 so......

The V1x is is too firm for me. I want a softer contact. Other than that,
good ball. Sure it doesn't spin quite as much as the V1, but it's not
supposed to.

The Callaway HX Tour is one that I would definitely put in the Spin Bin and
it feels right to me. Great ball.

The HX Blue is feels great but it won't bite as well on a hard green for me.
Good ball.

I haven't yet used the:
Nike One, TA2 spn or the Precept U-Tri.

Pet peeve....ranges that want you to use range balls at the chipping area.
How do you get any decent feedback from a rock?

Quote:


> > For purposes of this discussion we'll assume that the referenced "Tour"
> > balls are:
> > ProVIx
> > Callaway HX Tour
> > Nike One
> > Precept U-Tri Tour

> > The 'Spin' balls are:

> > ProVI
> > Callaway HX Blue (3 piece)
> > Nike TA2 Spn
> > Strata Tour Ultimate (no longer made)

> > I've been playing around with these in the chipping area and it seems
> really
> > clear to me that it is WAY easier for me to put "one hop and (mostly)
> stop"
> > spin on the 'Spin' balls when hit with either my SW or LW from 15-30
yards
> > vs. the referenced 'Tour' balls (I guess this would not be considered a
> > complete surprise) . Interestingly not only do the spin balls act
> > differently
> > I can actually hear the difference when they hit the green (assuming
that
> > they were crisply struck).
> > Do others (particularly those who have chosen "Tour" balls) have the
same
> > experience (a large difference in the 15-30 yard area)? Now that I am
> > finally out of Strata Tour Ultimates (bought 6 dozen at a great price a
> long
> > while back) my ball of choice is the ProV1. Given how much longer they
> last
> > than the Strata's I was playing, the cost delta isn't as extreme as I
> > initially thought - and the "PRACTICE" version for the V1 also helps.
> > FWIW the Callaway HX Red and Nike TA2 LNG seem to be closer to the
'Tour'
> > balls than to 'Spin' balls (but I would not consider either 'less
spinny'
> > than the 'Tour" balls).
> > Thanks.
> > dave

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Dave Clar » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:29:03

Quote:

>Pet peeve....ranges that want you to use range balls at the chipping area.
>How do you get any decent feedback from a rock?

That's funny...my course has the opposite rule.  They got tired of picking up
range balls left on the chipping green.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://davidclary.com
RSG Roll Call http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by fivei.. » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:25:32

A good question(s) - when you have finalized logical answers, please
post them in this ng - for all to see.:--)

Balls in general have always created a nagging uncertainty in my mind as
to their ability / creditably to enhance one's score.

I can truthfully say, that a ball that appeals to me - responds better
for me.

This isn't to say that mavericks - don't perform well too.

This url is being posted for those who would like to read - views on
balls.

http://www.indygolf.com/Articles/ballfaq.html

m h o
?v ?e

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by fivei.. » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:41:59

Quote:
>Pet peeve....
>ranges that want you to use range balls >at the chipping area.
>How do you get any decent feedback >from a rock?

---------
use a multiplier of 10, hold your left nut, and dismiss all results.:--)

don't know the answer, but do know where you are coming from.

It makes one feel as tho - x-ercise - is the no. one benefit.

While on the subject, what is the greatest advantage to using a driving
range?

Maybe to warm up, exercise a little, but very little useful feedback,
that I can see.

m h o
?v ?e

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Dave Le » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:41:16


Quote:

> > Re: Attached

> > As I understand things, right-wing conservatives pretty much all play
"Tour"
> > balls while left-wing liberals almost always play "spin" balls. Just
thought
> > that I'd drum up some interest in this otherwise ignored thread :-)

> I think you have it wrong Dave, the party in power plays the
> "spin" ball, whereas the opposition plays a two-piece. Real
> golfers play tour balls!

> --
> bill-o

Bill, after years of research I have determined that President Bush uses a
Gutta-Percha ball while Senator Kerry changes ball types on every hole :-)

dave

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Howard Braze » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:21:14

I believe Mickelson's new ball will be a tour ball.

I suppose players who have no trouble getting enough spin won't need spin balls
as much as others.

What are the advantages of a tour ball?

Let's say someone offers me a choice between a dozen free ProVI or ProVIx balls,
how do I decide which to take?

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Howard Braze » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:24:08


Quote:
> Pet peeve....ranges that want you to use range balls at the chipping area.
> How do you get any decent feedback from a rock?

I haven't seen that.   But I have seen people fill up their ball shaggers with
waterballs, saving the good balls for the course.

I have played at a resort where the range balls were ProVIs.

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Rick Ride » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:35:56


Quote:
>I believe Mickelson's new ball will be a tour ball.

>I suppose players who have no trouble getting enough spin won't need spin balls
>as much as others.

>What are the advantages of a tour ball?

>Let's say someone offers me a choice between a dozen free ProVI or ProVIx balls,
>how do I decide which to take?

Take the Pro V1, you don't have the swing speed to get the V1x to work properly.

--
Rick

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Howard Braze » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:16:26


Quote:
> >Let's say someone offers me a choice between a dozen free ProVI or ProVIx
> >balls,
> >how do I decide which to take?

> Take the Pro V1, you don't have the swing speed to get the V1x to work
> properly.

Thanks.   Will do.   (this does come up with some tournaments)

Could you explain more?   (Inquiring minds want to know - anything about the
game of golf at least).   Include what speeds the x becomes advantageous.

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by David Geesama » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:10:52


Quote:
>         On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:21:14 GMT, "Howard Brazee"

> >I believe Mickelson's new ball will be a tour ball.

> >I suppose players who have no trouble getting enough spin won't need spin
balls
> >as much as others.

> >What are the advantages of a tour ball?

> >Let's say someone offers me a choice between a dozen free ProVI or ProVIx
balls,
> >how do I decide which to take?

> Take the Pro V1, you don't have the swing speed to get the V1x to work

properly.

???????????

I play them both, and I don't see a whole lot of difference except the V1
spins a little more than the V1x.  They both play to the same length for me
and I don't see how that would change if I had a much lower or much higher
swing speed.

Dave

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Roald Oine » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:26:58


<snip>
:>
:> Take the Pro V1, you don't have the swing speed to get the V1x to
:> work properly.
:
:
: ???????????
:
: I play them both, and I don't see a whole lot of difference except
: the V1 spins a little more than the V1x.  They both play to the same
: length for me and I don't see how that would change if I had a much
: lower or much higher swing speed.
:
: Dave

I play the V1 and I've hit a few found V1xes -- the x's impact feels
like hitting a Top-Flite to me (I don't have the clubhead speed needed
to properly compress it).
--
http://rec-sport-golf.com/?rc=oinesroald
Please remove the under_scores if sending me mail.

 
 
 

High End "Tour type" Balls vs. "Spin" Balls

Post by Douglas Sieber » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:35:17

Quote:

>> Take the Pro V1, you don't have the swing speed to get the V1x to work
>properly.
>???????????
>I play them both, and I don't see a whole lot of difference except the V1
>spins a little more than the V1x.  They both play to the same length for me
>and I don't see how that would change if I had a much lower or much higher
>swing speed.

Then why would you use the V1x?  I switched to the V1x because I got a
noticeable increase in distance off the driver at a very small (a few
yards) loss of distance off the short irons.  Yes, it spins a bit less
on the short shots around the green, but I pretty much learned how to
live with that about 8 or 9 years ago when I quit using the Tour Balata
(the one and only champ of spin on the soft shots around the green) for
the Professional.  Got lots of high soft flop shots that land nearly
dead and just trickle downhill making the amount of spin I get around
the green on a 30 yard shot pretty much irrelevant to me anymore.

As I understand it, the V1x (and to a lesser extent the V1) are ***
the system of the way the USGA does the ball distance checks.  They use
an outdated club with a 109 mph swing speed, so they were able to design
a ball that stays within the limit for the higher spin rate you get from
that 10.5* persimmon driver at 109 mph while adding distance when hit
with a higher launch angle but less spin at a higher swing speed.  To a
certain extent (or to some point of diminishing returns) the gap between
the V1 and V1x will increase as your swing speed exceeds that 109 mph
figure.  The USGA is changing that measurement this year (may have already
done so) to use a more modern driver with a 120 mph swing speed and of
course a new higher distance limit to account for this, but I highly
doubt that'll stop the ball makers for long, and they'll figure out how
to game the system again before long.  Not that this is a good thing, but
until they get a clue and roll back the ball its the rules we have to go
by...

To be honest, I don't notice much difference in feel on a full shot
between the V1 and V1x like some people report.  Maybe its because I used
to always play 100 compression balls back when balls were marked with
compression, the sponges we use these days are about 70 compression so
everything feels like one of those old Lady Titleists to me nowadays :)
Took some getting used to not being able to feel the cover on the little
shots around the green and while putting, but I couldn't find any of the
old balata balls for sale anymore even if I wanted them so I guess I had
no choice!

--

When hiring, avoid unlucky people, they are a risk to the firm.  Do this by
randomly tossing out 90% of the resumes you receive without looking at them.