One vs. two handed backhand?

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by Timo Saka » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00


I usually hit my top spin backhand with two hands. I am not very
happy with the pace I can generate with my two hander. I also have some
problems with low bouncing balls (too lazy to get down on legs). Sometimes
when I try a one handed topspin/flat backhand, I can hit the ball quite hard,
especially with relatively low bouncing balls. However, it is far less
accurate and than my two hander, and _very_ unreliable too. The worst problem
is my timing, I tend to hit the ball too front of my body, or too late. ;) I
also use the wrist sometimes too much, which makes to short quite unaccurate.

Should I try to switch to one hander, or use them both? My one handed slice
is pretty reliable shot, but mainly a defensive shot.
--
  Timo Sakari

  To reply, remove ".spammi" and "imee." from my e-mail address.

 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by WGD8 » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  "Two hands are for baseball, one
hand is for tennis."

 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by <A.. » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I would recommend using your two handed topspin backhand as your main weapon
on that side, although you say it is less powerful than single handers you
can afford to aim deeper because of the topspin. Low bouncing balls are easy
to hit provided you bend your front knee to get down into the shot. A single
handed slice is a great defensive shot, but can also be used to attack, esp.
when used to 'chip and charge'. Try to work on your two hander and maybe
look at the timing and rolloing your wrists to impart more pace on the ball.
Ash Smith.

Quote:

>I usually hit my top spin backhand with two hands. I am not very
>happy with the pace I can generate with my two hander. I also have some
>problems with low bouncing balls (too lazy to get down on legs). Sometimes
>when I try a one handed topspin/flat backhand, I can hit the ball quite
hard,
>especially with relatively low bouncing balls. However, it is far less
>accurate and than my two hander, and _very_ unreliable too. The worst
problem
>is my timing, I tend to hit the ball too front of my body, or too late. ;)
I
>also use the wrist sometimes too much, which makes to short quite
unaccurate.

>Should I try to switch to one hander, or use them both? My one handed slice
>is pretty reliable shot, but mainly a defensive shot.
>--
>  Timo Sakari

>  To reply, remove ".spammi" and "imee." from my e-mail address.


 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by TCH U 1 » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Who says you should hit a certain way with the backhand?

Your points are right about each of the strokes.  Each has its distinct
advantages and disadvantages.

I actually use them both the one hander mainly with slice.  I would continue to
practice the one hander and remember its critical to make contact out in front
and to keep arm straight at contact.

T.
members.aol.com/TCHU10S

 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by es.. » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I was brought up with a 2-hander. I switched to a one-handed volley, and
I use one hand to slice, lob, and, occasionally, reach. I know what you
are going through, since I noticed that I could hit harder/flatter with
one hand (it's better for doubles, also, since a one-hander goes lower
over the net). *BUT*, when I started practicing these shots in earnest
(flat/drive one-hander, etc.), I injured the heck out of my rotator
cuff. Make sure you prepare yourself strengthwise before switching. I'm
forced to stay with my 2-hander now....

Eric


Quote:

> I usually hit my top spin backhand with two hands. I am not very
> happy with the pace I can generate with my two hander. I also have
some
> problems with low bouncing balls (too lazy to get down on legs).
Sometimes
> when I try a one handed topspin/flat backhand, I can hit the ball
quite hard,
> especially with relatively low bouncing balls. However, it is far less
> accurate and than my two hander, and _very_ unreliable too. The worst
problem
> is my timing, I tend to hit the ball too front of my body, or too
late. ;) I
> also use the wrist sometimes too much, which makes to short quite
unaccurate.

> Should I try to switch to one hander, or use them both? My one handed
slice
> is pretty reliable shot, but mainly a defensive shot.
> --
>   Timo Sakari

>   To reply, remove ".spammi" and "imee." from my e-mail address.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by sonicmoo » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Overall, I believe it is up to the player, but I am a one-
handed backhand user.  Top spin and slice.  If you can
generate more power with the one handed go for it.  The
consistancy will follow.  I am suprised however that you
get more power from the one handed.  I love the 1 handed
backhand!!!

Sampras switched from a 2 handed back hand to a one handed
back hand when he was about 14...  I feel that's all that
needs to be said!!!

sonicmooo
http://members.xoom.com/sonicmooo
(web page for instructional tennis)

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by Timo Saka » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Maybe I am too impressed with sheer pace.  I've propably been watching
too much modern tennis on TV. ;)  I think Kuerten and Haas have great looking
and lethal backhands, especially down the line.

However, I'd like to be more aggressive
also on backhand side, and be able to dominate rallies, like  when hitting a
forehand, instead of mainly pushing to ball back and hoping for
my opponent to make a mistake, or an opening to put the ball away with
forehand.

I've noticed that one hander requires much more balanced/better position
to hit it, with to hands I can hit from less elegant positions, like too close
to my body or something.

I'll propably try to improve my two hander - accurary, and length and
reliability, and also make my slice more aggressive, it sometimes floats
too much and is short. At the club level most of the points are still won from
opponents mistakes. ;) I propably will take a couple of tennis lessons and ask
my coachs opinion. I remember one article from Tennis magazine, which
stated that the four most  important things for a shot are, in this particular
order:

1. Reliability - you have to put the ball back to your oppenents side if you
want to win _any_ points.
2. Depth - reduce your opponents possibilities to hit a winner or to force an
error
3. Aqquracy: hit the ball where you want it
4. Power - only useful if the three qualities mentioned above are met

Just my 0.02$ or something ;)
Timo


Quote:
>Who says you should hit a certain way with the backhand?

>Your points are right about each of the strokes.  Each has its distinct
>advantages and disadvantages.

>I actually use them both the one hander mainly with slice.  I would continue to
>practice the one hander and remember its critical to make contact out in front
>and to keep arm straight at contact.

>T.
>members.aol.com/TCHU10S

--
  Timo Sakari

  To reply, remove ".spammi" and "imee." from my e-mail address.
 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by Ben » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

just my opinion here, but in general two handed backhands have a lot more stick to
them than one handers....
you can't hit flat as much w/ one hand which means less speed which means easier to
get back. topspin has its advantages...but face it, it today's game, topspin isn't
really an advantage, its a disadvantage not to have it. everyone has it, but you'll
suck if you don't and EVERYONE knows how to hit it. also, having two hands on the
raquet means less effort, if you ARE going to switch to a onehander, you have to
compensate by building up that muscle because it is harder to hit a decest one
hander if you have a weak arm. people have talked about sampras and kuertan, but
unless you are planning on winning some grandslams ne time soon, your one hander is
probably gonna suck, so i'd stick w/ the two hander if my opinion is worth nething
(its it pretty much worthless). glad if i helped ne

 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by Ursula Winkle » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> ... you can't hit flat as much w/ one hand which means less speed which means easier
> to get back. topspin has its advantages...but face it, it today's game, topspin isn't
> really an advantage, its a disadvantage not to have it. everyone has it, but you'll
> suck if you don't and EVERYONE knows how to hit it. also, having two hands on the
> raquet means less effort, if you ARE going to switch to a onehander, you have to
> compensate by building up that muscle because it is harder to hit a decest one
> hander if you have a weak arm. people have talked about sampras and kuertan, but
> unless you are planning on winning some grandslams ne time soon, your one hander is
> probably gonna suck, so i'd stick w/ the two hander if my opinion is worth nething
> (its it pretty much worthless).

I switched from a two-hander I began hitting with (because my first instructor was
a fan of it) to a one-hander since I never did like and couldn't do well with it. For me
the one-hander is the natural stroke and doesn't need that muscle mass you are
supposing. - How so often in tennis it's rather a thing of good timing & preparation
and not a thing of rough power. Additionally it allows more reach and expecially it's
a lot more versatile. Otherwise there are a lot of players who feel much better with
the two-hander. But that doesn't imply the one-hander sucks - it's simply personal
preference.
My advice: if one wants to switch from the two- to the one-hander (or vice versa)
(s)he should at first ask if (s)he's uncomfortable with the current stroke and if one is
willing to invest the time it needs to develope the new technique. If the answer is a
'yes' then one shouldn't be hesitated to do it.
 
 
 

One vs. two handed backhand?

Post by Andrew Rivet » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00


(snip)......your one hander is

Quote:
> > probably gonna suck, so i'd stick w/ the two hander if my opinion is
worth nething
> > (its it pretty much worthless).

Absolutely, a one handed backhand slice is good, but to really crank the
ball, two hands offers better control and power.  Save the one-handed
backhands for the times that you cannot reach the ball with two.

Quote:
> I switched from a two-hander (because my first instructor was a fan of it)
> to a one-hander since I never did like and couldn't do well with it. For
me the
> one-hander is the natural stroke and doesn't need that muscle mass you are
> supposing. -- How so often in tennis it's rather a thing of good timing &
preparation
> of the stroke and not a thing of rough power. Additionally it allows more
reach and
> expecially it's a lot more versatile. Otherwise there are a lot of players
who
> feel much better with the two-hander but that doesn't imply the one-hander
> sucks

Many pros need such consistency that they are reluctant to use a wide
variety of strokes.  As a recreational player one has the luxury of using
different strokes without worrying if the percentage of good returns drops
5%.  To be truly versatile on the court, you should be able to hit both two
hands flat through the ball or over for topspin, and one hand (usually
slice).  If you can hit topspin effectively with one hand on your backhand
you don't likely need help from THIS newsgroup.