Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Patrick Keho » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 04:24:09


Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

If NOT, then why not?

P

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Ulysse » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 04:37:24


Quote:
> Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

> If NOT, then why not?

> P

If he plays as he did in the Miami final, the whole spring will be a
wash for him. He'll lose before the QF's at most of the events.
However, if he plays as he did when he took a set off Rafa in the
semis on MC in 2011, he can win one of the clay tournaments *IF* Nadal
is knocked off.

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Court_ » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 04:58:45


Quote:
> Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

> If NOT, then why not?

> P

The best Murray has done at the FO was the SF in 2011 where he lost to
Nadal in straights. I don't know how far he will get this year,
(depends on his ranking) but he ain't beating Nadal there imo.

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Professor » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 05:37:04

Quote:

> Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

> If NOT, then why not?

> P

No Murray made the semis of the french back in 2011 and actually played a good match against Nadal in the semis too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2OatvTGZc

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by felange » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 07:55:17

Quote:
> Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl,
> his natural game of defence,
> breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and
> improving serve and all court > assertive power hitting, can Murray make a
> serious imprint on the FO this year?

He has played the semis in RG. He absolutely should be, on paper, able to
compete for the title in Paris. He fancies that he has a shot this year, if
he serves well. I dunno....I have suspected for a while that he will do well
at the French eventually - like you say, we need only look at his skillset.
The only problem I forsee is his movement. He is fast in a line, as we
know....but he is a big unit going at full speed....and has never quite
mastered changing direction on the clay. I fully suspect that Lendl has been
geeing him up re. the French and doing plenty of clay work. We shall have to
wait and see....his new, more attacking counterpunching shtick might be the
very dab.

Quote:
> If NOT, then why not?

Not not.
 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by bob » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 09:51:14

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe

Quote:

>Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

>If NOT, then why not?

what happens in the clay season is on rafa's racket. that said, rafa
is a question mark. if he's off for any reason, murray will have
approx equal chance as djok and fed to win RG.

bob

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Court_ » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:59:14


Quote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe


> >Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

> >If NOT, then why not?

> what happens in the clay season is on rafa's racket. that said, rafa
> is a question mark. if he's off for any reason, murray will have
> approx equal chance as djok and fed to win RG.

> bob

Bob, are you BACKPEDALLING?  This is what you said a very short time
ago:

"i have serious fear about nadal
being able to get back anywhere near 2010 or 2008 levels. at least by
may. and that's what it will take to win this yr's FO. the other top
3
are healthy and hungry."

You were basically saying Nadal was too injured to come back so
quickly and win any of those lower tier clay tournaments he entered,
let alone win IW on hc!  Now you are saying the FO is on Nadal's
racket?  Which is it?  You were fighting me tooth and nail  when I
said ALL ALONG that Nadal will come back STRONG after his 7 month
absence. Now you have done a complete 180?  Too funny dear! :)

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by Dave Hazelwoo » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:26:05

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Court_1

Quote:


>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe


>> >Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

>> >If NOT, then why not?

>> what happens in the clay season is on rafa's racket. that said, rafa
>> is a question mark. if he's off for any reason, murray will have
>> approx equal chance as djok and fed to win RG.

>> bob

>Bob, are you BACKPEDALLING?  This is what you said a very short time
>ago:

>"i have serious fear about nadal
>being able to get back anywhere near 2010 or 2008 levels. at least by
>may. and that's what it will take to win this yr's FO. the other top
>3
>are healthy and hungry."

>You were basically saying Nadal was too injured to come back so
>quickly and win any of those lower tier clay tournaments he entered,
>let alone win IW on hc!  Now you are saying the FO is on Nadal's
>racket?  Which is it?  You were fighting me tooth and nail  when I
>said ALL ALONG that Nadal will come back STRONG after his 7 month
>absence. Now you have done a complete 180?  Too funny dear! :)

Rafa is done. Murray can easily take him out at the FO.
 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by bob » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:15:17

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Court_1

Quote:


>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe


>> >Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

>> >If NOT, then why not?

>> what happens in the clay season is on rafa's racket. that said, rafa
>> is a question mark. if he's off for any reason, murray will have
>> approx equal chance as djok and fed to win RG.

>> bob

>Bob, are you BACKPEDALLING?  This is what you said a very short time
>ago:

i'm not backpedaling, everything hinges on rafa's knees. i said it all
year so far. i do have questions about his knees.

Quote:
>"i have serious fear about nadal
>being able to get back anywhere near 2010 or 2008 levels. at least by
>may. and that's what it will take to win this yr's FO. the other top
>3 are healthy and hungry."
>You were basically saying Nadal was too injured to come back so
>quickly and win any of those lower tier clay tournaments he entered,
>let alone win IW on hc!  Now you are saying the FO is on Nadal's
>racket?  Which is it?  You were fighting me tooth and nail  when I
>said ALL ALONG that Nadal will come back STRONG after his 7 month
>absence. Now you have done a complete 180?  Too funny dear! :)

i never said any such thing about nadal. i said i fear his knee
condition can crop up again at any time. and i still do, which is why
i put a big ? by him.

i never in my life said he was "too injured to come back quickly",
those are your words.

bob

 
 
 

Reasonable Expectations for Murray on clay in 2013

Post by TT » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 22:17:04

6.4.2013 22:24, Patrick Kehoe kirjoitti:

Quote:
> Murray made the quarters in Paris once? Not sure... however, with Lendl, his natural game of defence, breakthrough in majors completed, with great backhander down the line and improving serve and all court assertive power hitting, can Murray make a serious imprint on the FO this year?

> If NOT, then why not?

> P

I don't know how serious, but I fully expect him to have his best year
on clay so far... based on first quarter of 2013.

Of course it may depend a lot on his draws, if Rafa is in his quarter etc...

At least he's not going to face Djokester until the final. Very likely
they won't face each other at all this clay season...