women's doubles: MN wins!

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by stephen » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:48:04


groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

congratulations Martina!

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Dr. GroundAx » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:58:05

Quote:

> groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

> congratulations Martina!

Says something about the women's game, I know this is doubles, but still.

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Yama » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 03:27:09

: groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

: congratulations Martina!

First time I've seen whole Martina Sr match. I've read her playing
this year has been patchy, but she was awesome here. Her volleys were
crisp, accurate and deadly and she didn't miss a lot. At the times
I felt embarrassed for the 3 younger players who were so throuhgly
outplayed in that department by a 48-year old. Can't imagine how
she must have been in her prime.

Nav/Groenefeld seem like an effective pair: ALG supplies good serve and
power, Martina brings amazing volleys and tactical sense. Martina's returns
were ineffective though, and from the baseline her groundstrokes were
outclassed and she often reverted lobbing from there. ALG held her end
of the bargain well, don't understand why she isn't ranked higher.

Kuz/Molik relied on their hard serving to stay in the match. Kuzny played
decent, Molik seemed like the weakest link, she didn't seem very sharp
and returned badly.

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Robert B. Walt » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 03:47:18



Quote:

> : groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

> : congratulations Martina!

> First time I've seen whole Martina Sr match. I've read her playing
> this year has been patchy, but she was awesome here. Her volleys were
> crisp, accurate and deadly and she didn't miss a lot. At the times
> I felt embarrassed for the 3 younger players who were so throuhgly
> outplayed in that department by a 48-year old. Can't imagine how
> she must have been in her prime.

> Nav/Groenefeld seem like an effective pair: ALG supplies good serve and
> power, Martina brings amazing volleys and tactical sense. Martina's returns
> were ineffective though, and from the baseline her groundstrokes were
> outclassed and she often reverted lobbing from there. ALG held her end
> of the bargain well, don't understand why she isn't ranked higher.

> Kuz/Molik relied on their hard serving to stay in the match. Kuzny played
> decent, Molik seemed like the weakest link, she didn't seem very sharp
> and returned badly.

In doubles, Groenefeld is Top Fif*** and may hit the Top Ten this
week. Her singles is worse because, first, she isn't that fast;
second, her ground game is more erratic than her serve; and
third, she doesn't have that much court sense yet. Having Navratilova
along seems to help her; Navratilova is doing the thinking.

Would have helped Kuznetsova/Molik, too; their biggest problem,
it seemed to me, is that they really don't move together very
well. Lots of angles for Navratilova to exploit.

At that, I thought it a very good match, because all the teams
made at least some attempt to accomplish something at net.

But Molik and Navratilova should team up. They'd clean up the
world: Molik serves as well as Greonefeld, her backhand is better
for doubles, and she likes to come in.

--
If it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs [of God],
faith is null and the promise is void.
          -- Romans 4:14

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Yama » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:16:45



: > Kuz/Molik relied on their hard serving to stay in the match. Kuzny played
: > decent, Molik seemed like the weakest link, she didn't seem very sharp
: > and returned badly.

: In doubles, Groenefeld is Top Fif*** and may hit the Top Ten this
: week. Her singles is worse because, first, she isn't that fast;
: second, her ground game is more erratic than her serve; and
: third, she doesn't have that much court sense yet. Having Navratilova
: along seems to help her; Navratilova is doing the thinking.

She is thinking too much sometimes...couple of times Martina rushed
into a point which AGL could have handled perfectly well and blew it.

: Would have helped Kuznetsova/Molik, too; their biggest problem,
: it seemed to me, is that they really don't move together very
: well. Lots of angles for Navratilova to exploit.

Yeah, they seemed to have trouble deciding sometimes who
picks up the deep balls...and Molik being slowish doesn't help.

: At that, I thought it a very good match, because all the teams
: made at least some attempt to accomplish something at net.

Well, last time I watched women's doubles on TV was some
three years ago, which consisted mostly two players trading crosscourt forehands
2 minutes each point and other two players sitting around and reading a magazine.
It was the finals of the tournament (Moscow) and left me totally disgusted with
state of the game. Sort of a "Whisper watching Hewitt-Nalbandian Wimbledon
final" moment I had there.

: But Molik and Navratilova should team up. They'd clean up the
: world: Molik serves as well as Greonefeld, her backhand is better
: for doubles, and she likes to come in.

Molik needs to shed off some weight. Also, her reactions seemed
slow (see crappy returning). Of course, she is coming off from
long injury break.

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Georgiana Gate » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:02:58

Quote:


> : groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

> : congratulations Martina!

> First time I've seen whole Martina Sr match. I've read her playing
> this year has been patchy, but she was awesome here. Her volleys were
> crisp, accurate and deadly and she didn't miss a lot. At the times
> I felt embarrassed for the 3 younger players who were so throuhgly
> outplayed in that department by a 48-year old. Can't imagine how
> she must have been in her prime.

In her prime, she once went 84-1 in singles in one year and won *six*
straight slams. She won AO, FO, W, and USO consecutively - unlucky
not to get a Grand Slam out of that.
 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Adrian Collin » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:40:10


Quote:

>> groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

>> congratulations Martina!

> Says something about the women's game, I know this is doubles, but still.

Yes, it says what a great player Martina still is in doubles.
 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by GregRupedsk » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:39:32


Quote:
> groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

> congratulations Martina!

ROFL. This from a troll who thinks a peak LENDL couldn't even compete in the
game today!!!!
 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by wen.. » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:53:56



Quote:
> But Molik and Navratilova should team up. They'd clean up the
> world: Molik serves as well as Greonefeld, her backhand is better
> for doubles, and she likes to come in.

They *have* teamed up - several years ago, I think they played together
for much of a year. Certainly a grass season.

*This* year, though, it would have been a very bad deal for MN, since
Molik's been out most of the year. I suspect that Kuz/Molik moved together
better earlier in the year before Molik got sick. She's really been out a
long time, and at Eastbourne she looked really out of it.

wg

 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Whispe » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:32:12

Quote:


>> groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

>> congratulations Martina!

> Says something about the women's game, I know this is doubles, but still.

Yes, MN is great, but for a 50 yr old to beat athletes in their 20's is
too embarrassing for words...
 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Whispe » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:30:31

Quote:




>>>groenefeld/MN advance to doubles semis 6-7 7-5 7-5

>>>congratulations Martina!

>>Says something about the women's game, I know this is doubles, but still.

> Yes, it says what a great player Martina still is in doubles.

....or how poor the pros are.
 
 
 

women's doubles: MN wins!

Post by Robert B. Walt » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:53:21

Quote:



> > But Molik and Navratilova should team up. They'd clean up the
> > world: Molik serves as well as Greonefeld, her backhand is better
> > for doubles, and she likes to come in.

> They *have* teamed up - several years ago, I think they played together
> for much of a year. Certainly a grass season.

But that wasn't the same Molik -- or the same Navratilova, really.
Doesn't count.

Quote:
> *This* year, though, it would have been a very bad deal for MN, since
> Molik's been out most of the year.

Of course. I'm just stating that they would be close to the ideal
pair.

Quote:
> I suspect that Kuz/Molik moved together
> better earlier in the year before Molik got sick. She's really been out a
> long time, and at Eastbourne she looked really out of it.

I think you're probably right. Molik's balance still looks
questionable. But I can't prove it.

OTOH, given what Molik did for Kuznetsova earlier this year, I
think Kuznetsova would be crazy to dump her.

--
If it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs [of God],
faith is null and the promise is void.
          -- Romans 4:14