No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Whispe » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:28:42


Another reason I don't bet on tennis.... ; )

Tennis players throwing matchesBy Gavin Versi, Clive White
      London
      October 13, 2003

International tennis players are deliberately throwing matches for financial
gain. It is believed that bets of up to $200,000 have been placed by
players, through their coaches and other intermediaries, with internet
betting exchanges, resulting in massive payouts.

The Association of Tennis Professionals, the governing body of men's tennis,
is so determined to stamp out the growing menace that it recently signed a
memorandum of understanding with the British-based company Betfair, which
give the ATP access to its clients' records.

The English Jockey Club is the only other sporting body that has signed such
an agreement.

The ATP was first made aware of the concerns of betting more than three
months ago. Most of the players under suspicion are outside the top 100.

But last week the ATP took the unprecedented step of warning a former world
top 10-ranked player against not trying after it was brought to their
attention that there had been heavy, irregular betting on one of his
matches, in which he lost in straight sets.

There is no doubt in the minds of some people as to the punishment for any
player found guilty of throwing a match. "They should be jailed, no doubt
about it. They're ruining the game," said John Lloyd, a television analyst
and former British Davis Cup player.

The ATP has privately admitted that several players were under scrutiny. The
responsibility for investigating the problem lies with Richard Ings, the
ATP's executive vice-president of rules and competition.

He declined to comment on whether any players were under investigation for
betting-related activities, but said: "The penalty for any player found
guilty of match-fixing is $US100,000 plus whatever money he made from the
bet and a three-year suspension, which is tantamount to a life ban.

"When you consider that the punishment for ***-related offences is a
two-year suspension, you will understand that we would view this as a most
serious violation of ATP rules."

A betting scandal was the last thing the ATP needed following the recent
*** fiasco when it was forced to rescind its two-year suspension of Czech
player Bohdan Ulihrach for taking nandrolone after it became clear that ATP
trainers had been dispensing tablets that may have contained the illegal
substance.

Ulihrach is now considering legal action against the ATP for loss of
earnings.

The sport has long been aware of the lesser problem of "tanking", whereby
players deliberately lose matches, more often than not for more innocent
reasons, like the need to move on to another tournament where they are
contracted to play.

Two weeks ago, Georgian Irakli Labadze was fined $110,000 for not trying.
But deliberately losing matches for personal financial gain - not something
Labadze has been accused of - is a disturbing new phenomenon within the
sport.

"If they realise they can make good money from this, it will increase as
more players cotton on," said one leading fixed-odds bookmaker. "You've got
to remember that it has only really become a problem recently with the
explosion in the internet business, but it can only grow."

As well as traditional fixed-odds staking with bookmakers via the telephone
and in shops, a popular method of betting on tennis is with the increasingly
popular internet betting exchanges. More than $250,000 is regularly traded
on matches each day at Betfair alone.

Compared with bookmakers, it offers more favourable odds because of smaller
profit margins, and is not restrictive in terms of stakes, as bookmakers
might be with a successful punter.

Betting exchanges, or peer-to-peer odds exchanges, as they are sometimes
known, operate by matching bets between private individuals. Unlike
traditional bookmaker betting, they are also transparent, which means one
can see exactly how much is being bet on any given match.

It was through this transparency that the problem came to light. It became
evident that for no particular reason some matches were attracting a far
greater betting turnover than they should have.

At a clutch of tournaments across the globe in the past few months, the
betting on certain first-round matches has been more than twice as much as
the rest of the first-round matches put together.

Even Wimbledon has not been spared the embarrassment of dodgy results.
Betting on one match at this year's championship, involving a high-profile
player, was halted when bookmakers became aware that the coach of one of the
players was placing bets.

One ATP trainer even offered his services to one bookmaker, promising to
alert them to news of injured players, which would be in contravention of
ATP rules.

Several of the betting plunges have been against players carrying injury,
some of whom subsequently retired during their match. In an effort to
counteract this, many bookmakers have changed their rules over when a bet
becomes active, from "first ball served" to "injury void".

Betting on matches is frequently suspended because of "irregular betting
patterns". Recently the betting on a match between the Russian Yevgeny
Kafelnikov and Fernando Vicente, of Spain, at the Lyon Grand Prix was
suspended when, according to the Racing Post newspaper, a worldwide plunge
was landed on the Spaniard.

Vicente, who won 6-2, 6-3, had not won a match since June. His odds toppled
from 5-1 to odds-on favourite on one of the exchanges, while fixed-odds
bookmakers suspended betting six hours before the match was due to start.
But there is no suggestion that either player was involved.

The betting coups invariably take place in the first round of events when
they are less likely to arouse suspicion, although one bookmaker, Skybet,
said last week that it would no longer be taking bets on the first round at
minor tournaments.

The option of deliberately losing in the first round becomes particularly
attractive when a player has little chance of progressing in a tournament,
for whatever reasons.

Even when a player is an underdog, there is money to be made in making sure
he loses. A recent match involving one such no-hoper traded $135,000 on
Betfair. As one fixed-odds bookmaker commented: "He could still have made
5000 (pounds), which is more than his first-round loser's cheque.

Meanwhile, Betfair refuses to accept that there is any match-fixing going on
in tennis.

- Telegraph

HOW THE STORY UNFOLDED

June 6, 2003:The Association of Tennis Professionals is alerted to unusual
betting activity in a crop of matches. The association immediately confirms
it will look into this.

July 10: A director from a leading bookmaker tells The Sunday Telegraph that
a former professional now coaching on the ATP Tour has bet on matches
involving his present charge using his personal account in central Europe.

August 18: ATP representative Richard Ings requests a supervisor's report
into the Feliciano Lopez v Jarkko Nieminen match in Long Island, New York,
after being alerted to suspicious betting patterns by The Sunday Telegraph.
Lopez retires through injury when 1-0 down in the second set.

October 1: Internet odds exchange Betfair announces that it has signed a
memorandum of understanding with the ATP.

October 7: Bookmakers suspend betting on the match between Yevgeny
Kafelnikov and Fernando Vicente in Lyon, France, six hours before it is due
to start after receiving bets from "marked accounts". About $217,000 is
wagered with Betfair, with Vicente's odds coming in from 6-1 to 1-4.

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by VinB » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:39:36

Very interesting, wouldn't be surprised if Kafelnikov did it once or twice,
some of his losses at his peak were remarkable.

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by whateve » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:28:56

Any player that does this should be banned for life, in my opinion.


Quote:

> Another reason I don't bet on tennis.... ; )

> Tennis players throwing matchesBy Gavin Versi, Clive White
>       London
>       October 13, 2003

> International tennis players are deliberately throwing matches for
financial
> gain. It is believed that bets of up to $200,000 have been placed by
> players, through their coaches and other intermediaries, with internet
> betting exchanges, resulting in massive payouts.

> The Association of Tennis Professionals, the governing body of men's
tennis,
> is so determined to stamp out the growing menace that it recently signed a
> memorandum of understanding with the British-based company Betfair, which
> give the ATP access to its clients' records.

> The English Jockey Club is the only other sporting body that has signed
such
> an agreement.

> The ATP was first made aware of the concerns of betting more than three
> months ago. Most of the players under suspicion are outside the top 100.

> But last week the ATP took the unprecedented step of warning a former
world
> top 10-ranked player against not trying after it was brought to their
> attention that there had been heavy, irregular betting on one of his
> matches, in which he lost in straight sets.

> There is no doubt in the minds of some people as to the punishment for any
> player found guilty of throwing a match. "They should be jailed, no doubt
> about it. They're ruining the game," said John Lloyd, a television analyst
> and former British Davis Cup player.

> The ATP has privately admitted that several players were under scrutiny.
The
> responsibility for investigating the problem lies with Richard Ings, the
> ATP's executive vice-president of rules and competition.

> He declined to comment on whether any players were under investigation for
> betting-related activities, but said: "The penalty for any player found
> guilty of match-fixing is $US100,000 plus whatever money he made from the
> bet and a three-year suspension, which is tantamount to a life ban.

> "When you consider that the punishment for ***-related offences is a
> two-year suspension, you will understand that we would view this as a most
> serious violation of ATP rules."

> A betting scandal was the last thing the ATP needed following the recent
> *** fiasco when it was forced to rescind its two-year suspension of
Czech
> player Bohdan Ulihrach for taking nandrolone after it became clear that
ATP
> trainers had been dispensing tablets that may have contained the illegal
> substance.

> Ulihrach is now considering legal action against the ATP for loss of
> earnings.

> The sport has long been aware of the lesser problem of "tanking", whereby
> players deliberately lose matches, more often than not for more innocent
> reasons, like the need to move on to another tournament where they are
> contracted to play.

> Two weeks ago, Georgian Irakli Labadze was fined $110,000 for not trying.
> But deliberately losing matches for personal financial gain - not
something
> Labadze has been accused of - is a disturbing new phenomenon within the
> sport.

> "If they realise they can make good money from this, it will increase as
> more players cotton on," said one leading fixed-odds bookmaker. "You've
got
> to remember that it has only really become a problem recently with the
> explosion in the internet business, but it can only grow."

> As well as traditional fixed-odds staking with bookmakers via the
telephone
> and in shops, a popular method of betting on tennis is with the
increasingly
> popular internet betting exchanges. More than $250,000 is regularly traded
> on matches each day at Betfair alone.

> Compared with bookmakers, it offers more favourable odds because of
smaller
> profit margins, and is not restrictive in terms of stakes, as bookmakers
> might be with a successful punter.

> Betting exchanges, or peer-to-peer odds exchanges, as they are sometimes
> known, operate by matching bets between private individuals. Unlike
> traditional bookmaker betting, they are also transparent, which means one
> can see exactly how much is being bet on any given match.

> It was through this transparency that the problem came to light. It became
> evident that for no particular reason some matches were attracting a far
> greater betting turnover than they should have.

> At a clutch of tournaments across the globe in the past few months, the
> betting on certain first-round matches has been more than twice as much as
> the rest of the first-round matches put together.

> Even Wimbledon has not been spared the embarrassment of dodgy results.
> Betting on one match at this year's championship, involving a high-profile
> player, was halted when bookmakers became aware that the coach of one of
the
> players was placing bets.

> One ATP trainer even offered his services to one bookmaker, promising to
> alert them to news of injured players, which would be in contravention of
> ATP rules.

> Several of the betting plunges have been against players carrying injury,
> some of whom subsequently retired during their match. In an effort to
> counteract this, many bookmakers have changed their rules over when a bet
> becomes active, from "first ball served" to "injury void".

> Betting on matches is frequently suspended because of "irregular betting
> patterns". Recently the betting on a match between the Russian Yevgeny
> Kafelnikov and Fernando Vicente, of Spain, at the Lyon Grand Prix was
> suspended when, according to the Racing Post newspaper, a worldwide plunge
> was landed on the Spaniard.

> Vicente, who won 6-2, 6-3, had not won a match since June. His odds
toppled
> from 5-1 to odds-on favourite on one of the exchanges, while fixed-odds
> bookmakers suspended betting six hours before the match was due to start.
> But there is no suggestion that either player was involved.

> The betting coups invariably take place in the first round of events when
> they are less likely to arouse suspicion, although one bookmaker, Skybet,
> said last week that it would no longer be taking bets on the first round
at
> minor tournaments.

> The option of deliberately losing in the first round becomes particularly
> attractive when a player has little chance of progressing in a tournament,
> for whatever reasons.

> Even when a player is an underdog, there is money to be made in making
sure
> he loses. A recent match involving one such no-hoper traded $135,000 on
> Betfair. As one fixed-odds bookmaker commented: "He could still have made
> 5000 (pounds), which is more than his first-round loser's cheque.

> Meanwhile, Betfair refuses to accept that there is any match-fixing going
on
> in tennis.

> - Telegraph

> HOW THE STORY UNFOLDED

> June 6, 2003:The Association of Tennis Professionals is alerted to unusual
> betting activity in a crop of matches. The association immediately
confirms
> it will look into this.

> July 10: A director from a leading bookmaker tells The Sunday Telegraph
that
> a former professional now coaching on the ATP Tour has bet on matches
> involving his present charge using his personal account in central Europe.

> August 18: ATP representative Richard Ings requests a supervisor's report
> into the Feliciano Lopez v Jarkko Nieminen match in Long Island, New York,
> after being alerted to suspicious betting patterns by The Sunday
Telegraph.
> Lopez retires through injury when 1-0 down in the second set.

> October 1: Internet odds exchange Betfair announces that it has signed a
> memorandum of understanding with the ATP.

> October 7: Bookmakers suspend betting on the match between Yevgeny
> Kafelnikov and Fernando Vicente in Lyon, France, six hours before it is
due
> to start after receiving bets from "marked accounts". About $217,000 is
> wagered with Betfair, with Vicente's odds coming in from 6-1 to 1-4.


 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by wen.. » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:10:28


Quote:

> Any player that does this should be banned for life, in my opinion

Well, that's Bobby Riggs out.

Riggs is famous for having bet on himself to win Wimbledon and having made
a fortune therefrom.

The year Davenport won Wimbledon, her coach showed her her odds and she
said afterwards they thought about putting some money down on it -- but
didn't.

wg

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by VinB » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:15:38

Quote:
> Riggs is famous for having bet on himself to win Wimbledon and having made
> a fortune therefrom.

> The year Davenport won Wimbledon, her coach showed her her odds and she
> said afterwards they thought about putting some money down on it -- but
> didn't.

I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with that, as far as we
know a lot of players do it.
 It does get messy however when a player bets on the underdog and
deliberatly loses the match.
 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Amy Cottrel » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:27:40

Quote:



>> Any player that does this should be banned for life, in my opinion

>Well, that's Bobby Riggs out.

>Riggs is famous for having bet on himself to win Wimbledon and having
>made a fortune therefrom.

>The year Davenport won Wimbledon, her coach showed her her odds and
>she said afterwards they thought about putting some money down on
it --
>but didn't.

There is a huge difference between betting on yourself to *win* versus
betting on yourself to *lose.* Any player caught betting on himself to
lose should be hit with a fine of massive amount (like, say, career
prize money should do the trick) and suspension/expulsion.
 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by wen.. » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:16:11


Quote:

> Any player caught betting on himself to
> lose should be hit with a fine of massive amount (like, say, career
> prize money should do the trick) and suspension/expulsion.

Sure.  IIRC, however, the current rules prohibit players from betting,
period.  And when you think about it, that makes sense.  Say player A bets
on self to win.  Then offers player B half of proceeds.  Player A wins;
they split.

You can't allow betting at all.

wg

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by mimu » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:54:56



Quote:
>Another reason I don't bet on tennis.... ; )

>Tennis players throwing matchesBy Gavin Versi, Clive White
>      London
>      October 13, 2003

>International tennis players are deliberately throwing matches for financial
>gain. It is believed that bets of up to $200,000 have been placed by
>players, through their coaches and other intermediaries, with internet
>betting exchanges, resulting in massive payouts.

IIRC from _Short Circuit_, players could bet freely on themselves and
others at Wimbledon at least up until the 1980s, which was finally
stopped not because of match- throwing but because the players were
better than the bookies at assessing form, and kept straining if not
breaking the bank.

--
Why isn't The Tennis Channel on Adelphia?

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Steve Jaro » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:52:03

Damn.

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands
of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form
they please".

- Thomas Jefferson


Quote:

> Another reason I don't bet on tennis.... ; )

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by mimu » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:56:55

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:27:40 GMT, "Amy Cottrell"

Quote:




>>> Any player that does this should be banned for life, in my opinion

>>Well, that's Bobby Riggs out.

>>Riggs is famous for having bet on himself to win Wimbledon and having
>>made a fortune therefrom.

>>The year Davenport won Wimbledon, her coach showed her her odds and
>>she said afterwards they thought about putting some money down on
>it --
>>but didn't.

>There is a huge difference between betting on yourself to *win* versus
>betting on yourself to *lose.*

Well, there's the "insider information" or "dressing- room tip"
problem, too . . . .

Quote:
> Any player caught betting on himself to
>>lose should be hit with a fine of massive amount (like, say, career
>>prize money should do the trick) and suspension/expulsion.

Agreed.

--
Why isn't The Tennis Channel on Adelphia?

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Steve Jaro » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:03:28

Yes, in principle there's nothing wrong with players betting on themselves
to win, but then usually that leads to the kinds of situations you describe
below. A total ban is the only realistic policy.

--
"if federal judges have the final word over its meaning,
the Constitution would be a mere thing of wax in the hands
of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form
they please".

- Thomas Jefferson


Quote:


> > Any player caught betting on himself to
> > lose should be hit with a fine of massive amount (like, say, career
> > prize money should do the trick) and suspension/expulsion.

> Sure.  IIRC, however, the current rules prohibit players from betting,
> period.  And when you think about it, that makes sense.  Say player A bets
> on self to win.  Then offers player B half of proceeds.  Player A wins;
> they split.

> You can't allow betting at all.

> wg

 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Sakari Lu » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:30:18



Quote:
>International tennis players are deliberately throwing matches for financial
>gain. It is believed that bets of up to $200,000 have been placed by
>players, through their coaches and other intermediaries, with internet
>betting exchanges, resulting in massive payouts.

Yes, this has been all over the media last two days.

Quote:
>August 18: ATP representative Richard Ings requests a supervisor's report
>into the Feliciano Lopez v Jarkko Nieminen match in Long Island, New York,
>after being alerted to suspicious betting patterns by The Sunday Telegraph.
>Lopez retires through injury when 1-0 down in the second set.

Jarkko was asked about this after his match today. Reuters and AFP had
stories with more of his comments than probably ever before. He said
that Lopez had been throwing up all day, and really couldn't play.
Jarkko also said that match fixing "is the worst thing that a player
can do, it is the same as doping".
 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by VinB » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:53:45

Quote:

> But last week the ATP took the unprecedented step of warning a former
world
> top 10-ranked player against not trying after it was brought to their
> attention that there had been heavy, irregular betting on one of his
> matches, in which he lost in straight sets.

Surely this was Yevgeny about his match with Vincente. Vincente won 6-3, 6-3
 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by Whispe » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:50:07


Quote:


> > Any player caught betting on himself to
> > lose should be hit with a fine of massive amount (like, say, career
> > prize money should do the trick) and suspension/expulsion.

> Sure.  IIRC, however, the current rules prohibit players from betting,
> period.  And when you think about it, that makes sense.  Say player A bets
> on self to win.  Then offers player B half of proceeds.  Player A wins;
> they split.

> You can't allow betting at all.

> wg

When you really think about it there are ways around it - get a trusted
friend, friend of a friend etc to place the bet & payola...
 
 
 

No wonder Roddick lost to Feds at Wimbledon.....

Post by David Aam » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:52:35

Worst news in tennis since I learnt that Agassi was not *really*
playing with the i.Radical LM  : )

and BTW, Safin is not *really* playing with the i.Prestige Mid either
: )