What I hope to see in 2013

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Joe Ramire » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:45:34


1. An "out of the blue" slam winner. Sure, Murray was a first-timer in
2012, but he was very much a known quantity becausr of his previous
finals and many years near the top of the rankings. Nothing generates
e***ment quite like an unfamiliar face explosively rising to
stardom. Wouldn't have to be one of the so-called young guns, which
seems unlikely anyway.

2. A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

3. A last hurrah for Federer. Although it's clear that Fed has the
capability of remaining in the top 10 for a long time, his days of
contending for the biggest titles are waning. Three years in a row of
only one slam final per year means any chance that appears must be
seized. One more slam would be terrific, of course, but something like
a long-awaited championship in Rome (perhaps over Nadal?) would add a
feather as well.

4. A new surface. Blue clay was tried and rejected (prematurely, IMO),
but that doesn't mean thoughtful experimentation with court surfaces
should cease. Something novel and quick would add much-needed spice.

5. A fix for Paris. It's not feasible to hold a Masters event the week
before the WTF. A big tournament in which the only players who care
are Frenchmen and Ferrer is not viable.

6. A clear-skied slam. Miserable rain at Roland Garros. Rain at Wimby,
then the roof. Horrible wind at Flushing. And torrents of sweat in
Melbourne. :) Good weather for tennis would be a pleasant change.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by TT » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:50:36

13.11.2012 16:45, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

Quote:
> . A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
> if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
> hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
> of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
> retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
> punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

You'd rather prefer complete retirement than rehab + play when fit? Lame...

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Joe Ramire » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:56:55


Quote:
> 13.11.2012 16:45, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

> > . A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
> > if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
> > hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
> > of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
> > retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
> > punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

> You'd rather prefer complete retirement than rehab + play when fit? Lame...

A reduced-schedule Nadal who could still challenge the other top
players would be great. A "will he or won't he?" Nadal who rehabbed
more than he played would be bad. He would be a distraction rather
than a force. Also, I don't believe Nadal could play *well* with that
kind of schedule. No one wants to see Rafa come back from three months
off, lose in the second round of a tune-up and then the third round of
a slam, then take another two months off.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by MBDun » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:02:01

My hope list:

1) Injury free top players.
2) Djoko continues his strangehold with a slam or two.
3) Delpo nails his "injury comeback" and wins a slam.
4) Surprise slam winner (even someone from Berfych/Tsonga/top20 group).
5) Please...even one sudden young player rising into top10 (JJ?)
6) Jack Sock fulfils my very early predidiction about him (well first he has to get into journeymen ranks).
7) Henri Kontinen....or anyone....(some non-nieminen finnish player is needed...even challenger level....)...
8) ...may be one more even younger (say 17-18y) player making a sudden rush into top50?
9) Year-End #1 is decided at YEC/later stages of a season...

.mikko

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by MBDun » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:11:24

tiistai, 13. marraskuuta 2012 17.02.02 UTC+2 MBDunc kirjoitti:

Quote:
> My hope list:

> 1) Injury free top players.
> 2) Djoko continues his strangehold with a slam or two.
> 3) Delpo nails his "injury comeback" and wins a slam.
> 4) Surprise slam winner (even someone from Berfych/Tsonga/top20 group).
> 5) Please...even one sudden young player rising into top10 (JJ?)
> 6) Jack Sock fulfils my very early predidiction about him (well first he has to get into journeymen ranks).
> 7) Henri Kontinen....or anyone....(some non-nieminen finnish player is needed...even challenger level....)...
> 8) ...may be one more even younger (say 17-18y) player making a sudden rush into top50?
> 9) Year-End #1 is decided at YEC/later stages of a season...

Additions: Hewitt and Nalby both get final? hurrah on tour? Slam SF? Master Serie title? GS title for Nalby!!!! (most probably I have then missed news about their retirement plans or something....; )...

.mikko

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Joe Ramire » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:16:23


Quote:
> tiistai, 13. marraskuuta 2012 17.02.02 UTC+2 MBDunc kirjoitti:

> > My hope list:

> > 1) Injury free top players.
> > 2) Djoko continues his strangehold with a slam or two.
> > 3) Delpo nails his "injury comeback" and wins a slam.
> > 4) Surprise slam winner (even someone from Berfych/Tsonga/top20 group).
> > 5) Please...even one sudden young player rising into top10 (JJ?)
> > 6) Jack Sock fulfils my very early predidiction about him (well first he has to get into journeymen ranks).
> > 7) Henri Kontinen....or anyone....(some non-nieminen finnish player is needed...even challenger level....)...
> > 8) ...may be one more even younger (say 17-18y) player making a sudden rush into top50?
> > 9) Year-End #1 is decided at YEC/later stages of a season...

> Additions: Hewitt and Nalby both get final? hurrah on tour? Slam SF? Master Serie title? GS title for Nalby!!!! (most probably I have then missed news about their retirement plans or something....; )...

Lleyton Hewitt has no intention of retiring in 2013
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/lleyton-hewitt-has-no-intent...

Doesn't mean he's actually going to *win* anything, of course.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Whispe » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:15:56


I'd like to see Fed win an 8th Wimbledon & Rafa an 8th FO.  No man has
ever won the same slam 8 times, so would be a huge milestone not likely
to be broken.

Also Henin to come out of retirement, win Wimbledon & retire again on
the spot.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by TT » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:24:09

13.11.2012 16:56, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

Quote:

>> 13.11.2012 16:45, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

>>> . A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
>>> if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
>>> hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
>>> of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
>>> retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
>>> punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

>> You'd rather prefer complete retirement than rehab + play when fit? Lame...

> A reduced-schedule Nadal who could still challenge the other top
> players would be great. A "will he or won't he?" Nadal who rehabbed
> more than he played would be bad. He would be a distraction rather
> than a force. Also, I don't believe Nadal could play *well* with that
> kind of schedule. No one wants to see Rafa come back from three months
> off, lose in the second round of a tune-up and then the third round of
> a slam, then take another two months off.

I don't think Hoffa pad is career ending injury at all. The problem is
that it may take LOOOOOOOOONG time to heal and maybe doesn't heal at all
without operation...which is the path Rafa is taking. So it could happen
exactly as you say, needing to have that fat pad removed at some point.

My short list for 2013:

1. Healthy Rafa

2. 9th MC title

3. 8th RG title

Not so preoccupied with surprise slam winners. If I had to pick...
Ferrer/Berdych.

And I'm sure top 4 will make the year interesting, regardless of outcomes.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Court_ » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:29:32


Quote:
> I don't think Hoffa pad is career ending injury at all. The problem is
> that it may take LOOOOOOOOONG time to heal and maybe doesn't heal at all
> without operation...which is the path Rafa is taking.

LOLLLLL!

Quote:
> Not so preoccupied with surprise slam winners. If I had to pick...
> Ferrer/Berdych.

Another LOLLLLLL!
 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Joe Ramire » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:30:36


Quote:
> 13.11.2012 16:56, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:


> >> 13.11.2012 16:45, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

> >>> . A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
> >>> if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
> >>> hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
> >>> of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
> >>> retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
> >>> punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

> >> You'd rather prefer complete retirement than rehab + play when fit? Lame...

> > A reduced-schedule Nadal who could still challenge the other top
> > players would be great. A "will he or won't he?" Nadal who rehabbed
> > more than he played would be bad. He would be a distraction rather
> > than a force. Also, I don't believe Nadal could play *well* with that
> > kind of schedule. No one wants to see Rafa come back from three months
> > off, lose in the second round of a tune-up and then the third round of
> > a slam, then take another two months off.

> I don't think Hoffa pad is career ending injury at all. The problem is
> that it may take LOOOOOOOOONG time to heal and maybe doesn't heal at all
> without operation...which is the path Rafa is taking. So it could happen
> exactly as you say, needing to have that fat pad removed at some point.

> My short list for 2013:

> 1. Healthy Rafa

> 2. 9th MC title

> 3. 8th RG title

> Not so preoccupied with surprise slam winners. If I had to pick...
> Ferrer/Berdych.

Those players would be surprises, all right, but not the sort of
thunderbolt I'm hoping for -- more along the lines of Sampras winning
the 1990 USO.

- Show quoted text -

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Court_ » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:31:31


Quote:

> I'd like to see Fed win an 8th Wimbledon & Rafa an 8th FO. ?No man has
> ever won the same slam 8 times, so would be a huge milestone not likely
> to be broken.

> Also Henin to come out of retirement, win Wimbledon & retire again on
> the spot.

How many slams do you think Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga will win in
2013? :)
 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by Joe Ramire » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:31:44


Quote:

> I'd like to see Fed win an 8th Wimbledon & Rafa an 8th FO. ?No man has
> ever won the same slam 8 times, so would be a huge milestone not likely
> to be broken.

> Also Henin to come out of retirement, win Wimbledon & retire again on
> the spot.

I didn't add any WTA items because I honestly couldn't think of
anything plausible to hope for.
 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by grif » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 05:00:26


Quote:
> 1. An "out of the blue" slam winner. Sure, Murray was a first-timer in
> 2012, but he was very much a known quantity becausr of his previous
> finals and many years near the top of the rankings. Nothing generates
> e***ment quite like an unfamiliar face explosively rising to
> stardom. Wouldn't have to be one of the so-called young guns, which
> seems unlikely anyway.

> 2. A resolution of the Nadal situation. It would be best for the game
> if he could return and play a reduced but still robust schedule,
> hitting most of the big events. A few more great matches with the rest
> of the Big 4 -- who would object? Barring that, however, a definitive
> retirement would be preferable to an endless stretch of uncertainty
> punctuated by occasional tournaments and long rehab periods.

> 3. A last hurrah for Federer. Although it's clear that Fed has the
> capability of remaining in the top 10 for a long time, his days of
> contending for the biggest titles are waning. Three years in a row of
> only one slam final per year means any chance that appears must be
> seized. One more slam would be terrific, of course, but something like
> a long-awaited championship in Rome (perhaps over Nadal?) would add a
> feather as well.

> 4. A new surface. Blue clay was tried and rejected (prematurely, IMO),
> but that doesn't mean thoughtful experimentation with court surfaces
> should cease. Something novel and quick would add much-needed spice.

> 5. A fix for Paris. It's not feasible to hold a Masters event the week
> before the WTF. A big tournament in which the only players who care
> are Frenchmen and Ferrer is not viable.

> 6. A clear-skied slam. Miserable rain at Roland Garros. Rain at Wimby,
> then the roof. Horrible wind at Flushing. And torrents of sweat in
> Melbourne. :) Good weather for tennis would be a pleasant change.

I'd like to see Tomic/Janowicz/Raonic meet each other a few times just
to see how their games match up to each other.
 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by TT » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 05:02:33

13.11.2012 21:29, Court_1 kirjoitti:

Quote:

>> I don't think Hoffa pad is career ending injury at all. The problem is
>> that it may take LOOOOOOOOONG time to heal and maybe doesn't heal at all
>> without operation...which is the path Rafa is taking.

> LOLLLLL!

What is so damn funny about it?!

I read some discussion board where people who had hoffa syndrome
discussed about it... it's something that didn't go away easily at all,
and came back too. Someone said that he only got it healed after an
operation... after LONG period(s) of other treatment.

You still think that Rafa has some "silent ban" but elects to work in
the gym instead of training tennis? That's just dumb.

 
 
 

What I hope to see in 2013

Post by TT » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 05:04:38

13.11.2012 21:31, Joe Ramirez kirjoitti:

Quote:


>> I'd like to see Fed win an 8th Wimbledon & Rafa an 8th FO.  No man has
>> ever won the same slam 8 times, so would be a huge milestone not likely
>> to be broken.

>> Also Henin to come out of retirement, win Wimbledon & retire again on
>> the spot.

> I didn't add any WTA items because I honestly couldn't think of
> anything plausible to hope for.

Grand Slam for Serena?