Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Sunny Lie » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00


I used to think Hingis won Australian Open by luck, got to #1 by luck (like
Sanchez), won 6 straight tournaments by luck (can you believe what I was
thinking?) but after watching the semi-final match between Hingis and
Seles, I hate to admit she can be a great champion. My narrow-mindedness
was due to the fact that I had not actually seen her play a full match
especially against Graf or Seles then.

With Graf injured, Seles not in old form (not an excuse for losing because
it's been obvious), I thought Hingis would have been thrashed had it not
happened to Graf & Seles but now in my opinion it will be a tough fight
among three of them even if all are playing at their peak.

Hingis clearly has no weapon (I don't call great down-the-line shots as
weapon). I define weapon as shots that can consistently throw opponents off
balance when executed; Seles & Graf have huge weapons. However, Hingis is
the most intelligent player who happens to have every kind of shot to
counter each opponent's strength. Plus her anticipation of shots is simply
unbelievable. Graf can beat her easily in 100m, but she can run faster than
Graf to reach the ball. Evidence is obvious against Seles. No matter how
hard Seles hits or to which corner, Hingis somehow seems to be able to run
to retrieve the ball effortlessly and unlike Sanchez (a pure retriever),
she returns the ball smartly usually a winner. That was why Seles was badly
beaten in few occasions. On the other hand I have seen Graf scrambling form
one corner to another trying to retrieve Seles's shots. Hingis manages to
neutralise all Seles's powerful shots no matter at which corner and
eventually returns a moderately-paced shot to a part of the court
unreachable to Seles. Seles can move Graf but she can't actually move
Hingis. From this, I strongly feel that Hingis is more difficult to beat
than Graf for Seles. However, Seles is more difficult to beat than Hingis
for Graf because of Graf's sheer athletism.

Having said it all, Seles has been clearly off-form otherwise I still
believe Seles can beat Hingis as much as she wants to but definitely not as
easily as I used to believe. From Hingis-Seles matches, one could easily
notice how inaccurate Seles's shots had become and her unforced errors were
unbelievable, those killer shots we used to witness years back simply could
not be executed consistently anymore. And her angles were not as wicked.
She had been losing through unforced errors due to her nature of going for
broke. Despite all this she could still get to semi-final in FO. Her future
is still good.

Right now, Hingis is indisputably the best player. And finally I concede
that she is a great champion, she belongs to a league of Court, King,
Evert, Navratilova, Graf, and Seles. It's great for the women's tennis and
I have not written off Graf yet, not yet.

.

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by A Visi » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> I used to think Hingis won Australian Open by luck, got to #1 by luck (like
> Sanchez), won 6 straight tournaments by luck (can you believe what I was
> thinking?) but after watching the semi-final match between Hingis and
> Seles, I hate to admit she can be a great champion. My narrow-mindedness
> was due to the fact that I had not actually seen her play a full match
> especially against Graf or Seles then.

> With Graf injured, Seles not in old form (not an excuse for losing because
> it's been obvious), I thought Hingis would have been thrashed had it not
> happened to Graf & Seles but now in my opinion it will be a tough fight
> among three of them even if all are playing at their peak.

> Hingis clearly has no weapon (I don't call great down-the-line shots as
> weapon). I define weapon as shots that can consistently throw opponents off
> balance when executed; Seles & Graf have huge weapons. However, Hingis is
> the most intelligent player who happens to have every kind of shot to
> counter each opponent's strength. Plus her anticipation of shots is simply
> unbelievable.

..

With the current trend, it makes me to believe that this swiss sensation girl
will not only win this F.O. but aslo will win Wimbledon and U.S.Open.
I don't see any threats so far in the women tennis to Hingis. All court-player
like Hingis will dominate women tennis for a long time. Seles will ever be
no. 2 if she refuses to get back in shape. Being no.1 is not only the matter
of practicing tennis, one has to be active in other training as well. Seles has
returned to the tour for almost two years; however, the tire around her waist
is still there. It's obvious to me that she lacks of running and sitting up. I think
if Seles can add swimming and jogging into her daily tennis training, that tire
will go away in two weeks or so.

Graf has too many injuries and her mental toughness is not strong anymore. It
wouldn't surprise me a bit if Graf announces to retire late this year or early
next year. She is finished.

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by hespe.. » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00


: With the current trend, it makes me to believe that this swiss sensation girl
: will not only win this F.O. but aslo will win Wimbledon and U.S.Open.

Well I think that Graf will give her some competition at Wimbledon this year
and that both Graf and Seles will have a good chance to beat her at the USO.

: All court-player like Hingis will dominate women tennis for a long time.

And *that* brings us to the scary thing.  Hingis is only 16!
Can you *imagine* what she's going to be like at 22?

=8-0

Bright Blessings,

Hesperos
--
  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  * She was delighted in Her heart and placed longing in their ***s, *
  *      so that they lay together in pairs along the shady glens.      *
  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Donal Fag » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>And *that* brings us to the scary thing.  Hingis is only 16!
>Can you *imagine* what she's going to be like at 22?

Yeah, she'll have retired. :-)

--
Donal Fagan

Like, remove the sixties lingo to reply via e-mail, man.

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Shun Cheun » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> >And *that* brings us to the scary thing.  Hingis is only 16!
> >Can you *imagine* what she's going to be like at 22?

> Yeah, she'll have retired. :-)

There is no doubt in my mind that Hingis deserves to be #1. However,
as I have said many times, I think Hingis will have a short career. She
started too young and is playing way too much tennis at an early age.

Capriati is probably the greatest 14-year-old player of all time. Back
then, some people did ask how great she would be at 19. We all know
the answer now. IMO, it isn't entirely a joke that Hingis won't be
around or will have past her prime by age 22. We can't predict what
will happen in the next round at the FO. Six years from now is a long
long way ahead.


Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith
1997 GS--AO:Jan 13-26 FO:May 26-Jun 8 W:Jun 23-Jul 6 USO:Aug 25-Sep 7

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Junhan Ch » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> There is no doubt in my mind that Hingis deserves to be #1. However,
> as I have said many times, I think Hingis will have a short career. She
> started too young and is playing way too much tennis at an early age.

> Capriati is probably the greatest 14-year-old player of all time. Back
> then, some people did ask how great she would be at 19. We all know
> the answer now. IMO, it isn't entirely a joke that Hingis won't be
> around or will have past her prime by age 22. We can't predict what
> will happen in the next round at the FO. Six years from now is a long
> long way ahead.


> Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith
> 1997 GS--AO:Jan 13-26 FO:May 26-Jun 8 W:Jun 23-Jul 6 USO:Aug 25-Sep 7

Well, you might be right.  But I consider that Asians or Europeans seem
to be more disciplined than Americans (especially young kids).  So my
guess for Hingis is that if she grows up a good girl and stays healthy,
she will be O.K and still playing at 22.  Capriati's problem is more
mental than physical. She is still physically strong.  
I read 'tennis magazine' today.  I saw the article on Hingis that she
got crush on some American boy.  That is another factor.  Growing pain
kind of stuff.  She will wisely get it over too.  

--

----------
Polymer Sci. & Eng., Dankook University
Hannam-dong, San-8, Yongsan-gu
Seoul, 140-714 Korea
Tel) 822-709-2870
fax) 822-790-3089
------------------------------------

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Son Truong Nguye » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:


> > >And *that* brings us to the scary thing.  Hingis is only 16!
> > >Can you *imagine* what she's going to be like at 22?

Well, that's what they all said about Seles before the stabbing,
when she was so utterly dominating, winning everything she entered.

Quote:
> There is no doubt in my mind that Hingis deserves to be #1. However,
> as I have said many times, I think Hingis will have a short career. She
> started too young and is playing way too much tennis at an early age.

> Capriati is probably the greatest 14-year-old player of all time. Back
> then, some people did ask how great she would be at 19. We all know
> the answer now. IMO, it isn't entirely a joke that Hingis won't be
> around or will have past her prime by age 22. We can't predict what
> will happen in the next round at the FO. Six years from now is a long
> long way ahead.

Exactly my point.  As much as I'd like to witness the reign of the
greatest phenom in the history of women's tennis, it's doubtful
that things will continue to be fun and games for Hingis until
she's 22, as she smoothly gets better and better, like in a fairy
tale, and captures every shining metal in sight.

-Son Nguyen

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by David Mande » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The only obstacle in Hingis' way for a long reign is if she
plays too much and gets injured like Tracy Austin did in
the 80s. By age 18 Austin had won 2 US Opens and regularly
beat Navritolova and Evert. She got terrible injuries and was never
the same player after that. If Hingis' management makes her play
every tournament and exhibition the same thing can happen.

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Donal Fag » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>> > >And *that* brings us to the scary thing.  Hingis is only 16!
>> > >Can you *imagine* what she's going to be like at 22?

This was actually a quote of Hesperos. And I was only half-joking when I said
that Hingis will have retired by that age. (I just don't know how to make half
a smiley face). Hingis could easily be injured, supplanted or uninterested by
that age.

--
Donal Fagan

Like, remove the sixties lingo to reply via e-mail, man.

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Edward M. Readin » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> The only obstacle in Hingis' way for a long reign is if she
> plays too much and gets injured like Tracy Austin did in
> the 80s. By age 18 Austin had won 2 US Opens and regularly
> beat Navritolova and Evert. She got terrible injuries and was never
> the same player after that. If Hingis' management makes her play
> every tournament and exhibition the same thing can happen.

Yikes, I agree with you David (first time for everything).
Unfortunately, it seems that that's exactly what they are doing.  I
think that the injury layoff might actually have helped her in the
long-run.  Hope that kid doesn't get burnt out.

Edward Reading

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Marsha Stro » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:


>> I used to think Hingis won Australian Open by luck, got to #1 by luck (like
>> Sanchez),

Like Sanchez!! Like Sanchez!! What do you mean "like Sanchez"??? Of
course, I suppose there is some amount of "luck" or "fate" associated
with every event (like what if Steffi had been born a few years
earlier or later would either Martina have been as successful?? But
isn'r that kind of speculation essentially useless. The things that
happened, happen. It takes "una campeona" to "seize the day!")

Arantxa worked her ***off in 1994 to achieve what she did and I'l be
damned if I'll let you ascribe all that effort to just "luck"!  You
never did like postcards, Sunny, did you?

marsha

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Marsha Stro » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 17:23:04 -0700, "Edward M. Reading"

Quote:


>> The only obstacle in Hingis' way for a long reign is if she
>> plays too much and gets injured like Tracy Austin did in
>> the 80s. By age 18 Austin had won 2 US Opens and regularly
>> beat Navritolova and Evert. She got terrible injuries and was never
>> the same player after that. If Hingis' management makes her play
>> every tournament and exhibition the same thing can happen.

>Yikes, I agree with you David (first time for everything).
>Unfortunately, it seems that that's exactly what they are doing.  I
>think that the injury layoff might actually have helped her in the
>long-run.  Hope that kid doesn't get burnt out.

>Edward Reading

Yikes me too -- agreeing with Mandell! [Reading, what will become of
us :)]. And, as I have said before, I do not like Hingis (or green
eggs and ham), but I do not wish her ill and hope fervently we will
see no one Capriati repeats! Which is why I *still* support the WTA
"legislated" slow down of the under 16's.

marsha

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Mr H C Yo » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00


: >
: > The only obstacle in Hingis' way for a long reign is if she
: > plays too much and gets injured like Tracy Austin did in
: > the 80s. By age 18 Austin had won 2 US Opens and regularly
: > beat Navritolova and Evert. She got terrible injuries and was never
: > the same player after that. If Hingis' management makes her play
: > every tournament and exhibition the same thing can happen.

: Yikes, I agree with you David (first time for everything).
: Unfortunately, it seems that that's exactly what they are doing.  I
: think that the injury layoff might actually have helped her in the
: long-run.  Hope that kid doesn't get burnt out.

In that case, we better hope that her horse may have a few more
tricks of its own.  Good horsey.  :)

Doc
--
"The planet is a gunboat in the sea of fear
 And where are you? ..."  -  Radiohead
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csutq/

 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Fred » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



> : >
> : > The only obstacle in Hingis' way for a long reign is if she
> : > plays too much and gets injured like Tracy Austin did in
> : > the 80s. By age 18 Austin had won 2 US Opens and regularly
> : > beat Navritolova and Evert. She got terrible injuries and was never
> : > the same player after that. If Hingis' management makes her play
> : > every tournament and exhibition the same thing can happen.

> : Yikes, I agree with you David (first time for everything).
> : Unfortunately, it seems that that's exactly what they are doing.  I
> : think that the injury layoff might actually have helped her in the
> : long-run.  Hope that kid doesn't get burnt out.

> In that case, we better hope that her horse may have a few more
> tricks of its own.  Good horsey.  :)

> Doc
> --
> "The planet is a gunboat in the sea of fear
>  And where are you? ..."  -  Radiohead
> http://SportToday.org/~csutq/



1.  Wishing injury on a talented ***ager like Hingis is quite
stupid and not funny.  Make me wonder if there's another "Seles
Attacker" lurking around.....  :(
 
 
 

Hingis deserves #1-Seles's die hard fan

Post by Ri » Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>Yikes me too -- agreeing with Mandell! [Reading, what will become of
>us :)]. And, as I have said before, I do not like Hingis (or green
>eggs and ham)

Marsha! What's this? Saying you don't like Hingis AND comparing with
green eggs and ham?
No postcard for you, girl... ;-)

Quote:
>, but I do not wish her ill and hope fervently we will
>see no one Capriati repeats! Which is why I *still* support the WTA
>"legislated" slow down of the under 16's.

Well, at least this makes up for the above a little.

Rik