Roger Federer priced too short for Australian Open 2011 Odds

Roger Federer priced too short for Australian Open 2011 Odds

Post by ocea » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 07:17:10


Federer is washed up and he can't win any more Slams with all the
younger and improving talent coming in.

Roger Federer is out of the 2010 US Open before the championship final
for the first time in a long time as the soon to be world number 3 and
sinking is finally seeing the sun-set on his best tennis.

Federer has had an incredible career and he came so close to beating
Pete Sampras for most weeks spent as world number 1 but it looks like
the great American will retain that record for who knows how long.

Federer is priced at +275 (11/4; Victor Chandler) to win the 2011
Australian Open, a title that he currently holds, but truthfully you
would want odds of about +900 (9/1) on Federer if you were going to
make a smart bet on him for Melbourne - maybe longer.

Federer had two match points against Novak Djokovic in the semis from
Flushing Meadows yesterday and he was unable to put either of them
away as he went out.  All Federer proved in Flushing Meadows this year
is that he can come close to winning another Slam but when the big
points are played, he's a cut below the best now.

Federer's exit from the US Open comes on the heels of two
disappointing Slams at Wimbledon and Roland Garros and when the
Australian Open comes around, Federer's ranking could take a huge
hit.  He doesn't have any titles to defend between now and Melbourne
because he doesn't win many titles anymore but when the Aussie comes
early next year, he'll have 2000 ranking points to defend and he
cannot be counted on to win again.

Next year the hard court Slams are going to be all about Juan Martin
Del Potro, Andy Murray, and Novak Djokovic while Roland Garros will be
about Rafael Nadal and no one else.  Wimbledon 2011 is a little more
up for grabs but Nadal is the definite market leader and if Federer
can't beat Tomas Berdych on grass, how the former world number 1 be
expected to beat better players even as he continues to age?

Look for Federer to be out of the top 5 by the end of the Australian
Open as tennis futures now belong, in order, to Rafael Nadal, Novak
Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Andy Murray, Robin Soderling, Tomas
Berdych, Marin Cilic, and Thomaz Bellucci with Ryan Harrison and
Grigor Dimitrov on the radar for the longer term.

Register with Victor Chandler to bet on Australian Open futures - Juan
Martin Del Potro is priced at +550 (11/2).

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Tennis/Roger-Federer-Australian-...

 
 
 

Roger Federer priced too short for Australian Open 2011 Odds

Post by drew » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:41:54


Quote:
> Federer is washed up and he can't win any more Slams with all the
> younger and improving talent coming in.

There's a loaded statement with one possible truth...that Federer
MIGHT not be able
to win any more majors.

Quote:
> Federer has had an incredible career and he came so close to beating
> Pete Sampras for most weeks spent as world number 1 but it looks like
> the great American will retain that record for who knows how long.

Now there's a record left for Pete.  Why not mention his 7 Wimbledon
titles
vs. 6 for Federer?  At least that has an iota of significance.

Quote:

> Federer is priced at +275 (11/4; Victor Chandler) to win the 2011
> Australian Open, a title that he currently holds, but truthfully you
> would want odds of about +900 (9/1) on Federer if you were going to
> make a smart bet on him for Melbourne - maybe longer.

Only most bettors know that he'll probably be in the final eight at
worst.
That means that he'd be ridiculous at 9/1.

Quote:

> Federer had two match points against Novak Djokovic in the semis from
> Flushing Meadows yesterday and he was unable to put either of them
> away as he went out.

Does this guy understand that Djokovic was serving?

?All Federer proved in Flushing Meadows this year

Quote:
> is that he can come close to winning another Slam but when the big
> points are played, he's a cut below the best now.

 Federer's ranking could take a huge

Quote:
> hit.

Who cares?  His ranking is a different market.

 ?He doesn't have any titles to defend between now and Melbourne

Quote:
> because he doesn't win many titles anymore but when the Aussie comes
> early next year, he'll have 2000 ranking points to defend and he
> cannot be counted on to win again.

No kidding.

Quote:

> Next year the hard court Slams are going to be all about Juan Martin
> Del Potro, Andy Murray, and Novak Djokovic while Roland Garros will be
> about Rafael Nadal and no one else.

This guy speaks with conviction for somebody with no real knowledge of
tennis.

Quote:

> Look for Federer to be out of the top 5 by the end of the Australian
> Open as tennis futures now belong, in order, to Rafael Nadal, Novak
> Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Andy Murray, Robin Soderling, Tomas
> Berdych, Marin Cilic, and Thomaz Bellucci with Ryan Harrison and
> Grigor Dimitrov on the radar for the longer term.

Ryan Harrison and Thomaz Bellucci?  *** me.  Why not just pull any
two
names out of a hat?

Who gave this guy a job?