Philly draw?

Philly draw?

Post by KBent332 » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>Has the draw been made yet for Philly? Do we know yet who's committed?

The draw is usually not made until the Sat or Sun before the the start of
 maindraw play.  Chris Smiths site at
 http://blue.oit.gatech.edu/%7Ecs30/TennisNews.html (under WTA results plus) is
 great at posting the draws on Sunday afternoons for the WTA tournments being
 played that week (and all other tennis info you could possibly want.)

Here is a list of who has committed for next week.  Wish I lived closer to
 Philly....looks to be a great tournment.  

Next Week On The Corel WTA Tour
WHAT: Advanta Championships
WHERE: Philadelphia, PA, USA
WHEN: November 10-16, 1997
DRAW: 28S / 32Q / 16D
SURFACE: Supreme / Indoors
TOP SEED: Martina Hingis
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Jana Novotna
DEFENDING DOUBLES CHAMPIONS: L. Raymond / R. Stubbs
TOTAL PRIZE MONEY: $450,000
SINGLES WINNER'S SHARE: $79,000
DOUBLES WINNERS' SHARE: $23,750
Ranking Order:
HINGIS, Martina   (SUI)
NOVOTNA, Jana   (CZE)
COETZER, Amanda   (RSA)
SELES, Monica   (USA)
DAVENPORT, Lindsay   (USA)
MAJOLI, Iva   (CRO)
PIERCE, Mary   (FRA)
SPIRLEA, Irina   (ROM)
SANCHEZ VICARIO, Arantxa   (ESP)
MARTINEZ, Conchita   (ESP)
HUBER, Anke   (GER)
TESTUD, Sandrine   (FRA)
SCHULTZ-McCARTHY, Brenda   (NED)
RAYMOND, Lisa   (USA)
TAUZIAT, Nathalie   (FRA)
DRAGOMIR, Ruxandra   (ROM)
BASUKI, Yayuk   (INA)
SUGIYAMA, Ai   (JPN)
RUBIN, Chanda   (USA)
FRAZIER, Amy   (USA)
CAPRIATI, Jennifer   (USA)
SUKOVA, Helena   (CZE)

NOTE: The above list does not include wildcards and qualifiers.  
Thu Nov  6 12:07:12 ET 1997

 
 
 

Philly draw?

Post by KBent332 » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>>Has the draw been made yet for Philly? Do we know yet who's committed?

Philadelphia : Advanta Championships - Tier II

Singles:

  Hingis(1)
  Appelmans vs. Dragomir
  Raymond vs. Sukova
  Huber vs. Majoli(6)

  Coetzer(3)
  Rubin vs. qualifier
  Capriati vs. Sugiyama
  Basuki vs. Pierce(7)

  Spirlea(8) vs. V Williams-WC
  qualifier vs. qualifier
  S Taylor-WC vs. Schultz-McCarthy
  Seles(4)

  Davenport(5) vs. Tauziat
  Martinez vs. qualifier
  Sanchez Vicario vs. Frazier
  Novotna(2)

 
 
 

Philly draw?

Post by Shun Cheun » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Philadelphia : Advanta Championships - Tier II

> Singles:

>   Hingis(1)
>   Appelmans vs. Dragomir
>   Raymond vs. Sukova
>   Huber vs. Majoli(6)

>   Coetzer(3)
>   Rubin vs. qualifier
>   Capriati vs. Sugiyama
>   Basuki vs. Pierce(7)

>   Spirlea(8) vs. V Williams-WC

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
>   qualifier vs. qualifier
>   S Taylor-WC vs. Schultz-McCarthy
>   Seles(4)

>   Davenport(5) vs. Tauziat
>   Martinez vs. qualifier
>   Sanchez Vicario vs. Frazier
>   Novotna(2)

Well, the new ranking system works wonders. The current top 10 players
are all in the draw in a Tier 2 tournament, hence #9 ASV and #10
Martinez are both unseeded. Seles has dropped to #4.

And of course it will be Spirlea vs. Venus Williams in the first round.
Juicy stuff.

More info from a Philadelphia newspaper article:
  http://www.phillynews.com/daily_news/97/Nov/08/sports/TENN08.htm

-- Shun Cheung  New Jersey,USA  shun(AT)worldnet.att.net  (732)615-5135

Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith
1998 GS--AO:Jan19-Feb1  FO:May25-Jun7  W:Jun22-Jul5  USO:Aug31-Sep13

 
 
 

Philly draw?

Post by Shun Cheun » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> >   Hingis(1)
> >   Appelmans vs. Dragomir
> >   Raymond vs. Sukova

> Geez, this is the third time in a month Sukova faces Raymond in the 1R....

> >   Davenport(5) vs. Tauziat

> An amazing match to be played in the 1R...

Not to mention that this is also the final match up in Chicago today.

-- Shun Cheung  New Jersey,USA  shun(AT)worldnet.att.net  (732)615-5135

Chris Smith's Tennis FAQ-http://www.mindspring.com/~csmith
1998 GS--AO:Jan19-Feb1  FO:May25-Jun7  W:Jun22-Jul5  USO:Aug31-Sep13

 
 
 

Philly draw?

Post by Jacob Alexander Stepasch » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:
>   Hingis(1)
>   Appelmans vs. Dragomir
>   Raymond vs. Sukova

Geez, this is the third time in a month Sukova faces Raymond in the 1R....

Quote:
>   Davenport(5) vs. Tauziat

An amazing match to be played in the 1R...

Quote:
>   Sanchez Vicario vs. Frazier

ASV has lost to Frazier twice this year. Let's hope Amy can take three in a row ;-)

--

J.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katharine Clifton: You speak so many ***y languages, and you never
                   want to talk.
-The English Patient (1996)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Philly draw?

Post by John DeLorm » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> And of course it will be Spirlea vs. Venus Williams in the first round.
> Juicy stuff.

> More info from a Philadelphia newspaper article:
>   http://www.phillynews.com/daily_news/97/Nov/08/sports/TENN08.htm

Unfortunately, the Philadelphia Online paints the picture incorrectly in
the first
paragraph. Sometimes semantics make all the difference, and in this case
I'd say
the difference between the newspaper reporting that Spirlea calling
Williams
"that bleeping Venus Williams" and what she actually said "she thinks she's
the
bleeping Venus Williams" are IMO quite a bit difference. Whenever I read
newspapers with this sort of incorrect info, it just makes everything they
say
that much more suspect.

-John D