2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Paintbrawler » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00


I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
your oppinion.
--
Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by SPY » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Among the pros who are considered the best returners of serve? What
backhand style do they  use?
Answer: Connors, Agassi, Rios, Bjorkman, Kucera,  Seles; two-handed.
Quote:

> I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
> your oppinion.
> --
> Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
> Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.


 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Someone » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

tennis purists would probably choose the one handed backhand =)
both have advantages, blah blah.. i don't feel like typing right now. LoL..
Quote:
>Subject: 2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

>Date: 2/4/99 3:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

>I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>your oppinion.
>--
>Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
>Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.


 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by TCH U 1 » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Neither is better, each has certain advantages and disadvantages.  You need to
try both of them out for yourself.
If you are just starting to play , try the 2 hander first, will give you a bit
more control which in turn a little bit of confidence will grow.  Then try the
1 hander.  Remember to try all scenarios, running, short balls etc,...so you
can see how you control the racquet.  Then make the decision.  I personally use
both, more of a 1handed backhand slice for me.

T.
members.aol.com/TCHU10S

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Michael Mo » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Neither is better, each has certain advantages and disadvantages.  You need to
> try both of them out for yourself.
> If you are just starting to play , try the 2 hander first, will give you a bit
> more control which in turn a little bit of confidence will grow.  Then try the
> 1 hander.  Remember to try all scenarios, running, short balls etc,...so you
> can see how you control the racquet.  Then make the decision.  I personally use
> both, more of a 1handed backhand slice for me.

I've always hit with a one-hander though I've dabbled with two-handed
forehands
and backhands. One thing nice about the one-hander is that it makes the
transition
to other racquet sports (table tennis, squash, racquetball) fairly easy.
 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Jef » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>your oppinion.
>-

If you ask Martina Hingis, she will say the two hander :-)  But
seriously, it all depends on you, and how comfortable you are with
either one.  I hit with two-hands, and even then I still have to learn
the one handed slice for those times when I am thrown out wide
retrieving a shot or returning a wide serve.  The two hander makes
dealing with high bouncing balls easier, at least to me. The
two-hander is a slight disadvantage when you are volleying at the net
because the reach is slightly limited; as a result, I was taught to
volley with one hand on the backhand side.  Most one-handed backhand
players will try to exploit your two-handed backhand by throwing lots
of low sliced balls and junk to your backhand to throw you off
balance.  The best thing to do is to go to your local pro and try the
shots out yourself.  Good luck.

Jeff

Quote:
>Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
>Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Podibanda Kurup » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Doesn't the short reach of a two-hander offset the edge they have
in returning a serve though? Except for Rios and Bjorkman in this
group, what are they? All baseliners!
Quote:

>Among the pros who are considered the best returners of serve? What
>backhand style do they  use?
>Answer: Connors, Agassi, Rios, Bjorkman, Kucera,  Seles; two-handed.


>> I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>> your oppinion.

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Todd » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have some background of playing badminton, so one-handed backhand is more
natural to me. However, for most peaple I play with, two-handed are better
bebause it is easier to put on power with a compact swing.
Quote:

>I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>your oppinion.
>--
>Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
>Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Michael Callaha » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I don't think there's any question you give up a few inches with a two
hander, so you have to be quick enough to get to balls...but it seems that
if you can master the topspin one-hander, it would be the better stroke.
Just so few players, especially the women, can consistently hit a one-hand
topspin backhand.
Quote:

>I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>your oppinion.
>--
>Posted via Talkway - http://www.talkway.com
>Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Nisquall » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I would like to know which one is preferred, and which one is better in
>your oppinion.

I played with a 2 handed backhand years ago, but switched to a 1 handed
backhand as I improved (to 4.0).  I've found I have more reach with a 1
handed backhand. I've hit balls with my back to the net; harder to do two
handed. I think it comes down to what your comfortable and consistant with,
though.

Rich

 
 
 

2 handed vs. 1 handed backhand.

Post by Michael Mo » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I don't think there's any question you give up a few inches with a two
> hander, so you have to be quick enough to get to balls...but it seems that
> if you can master the topspin one-hander, it would be the better stroke.
> Just so few players, especially the women, can consistently hit a one-hand
> topspin backhand.

I would guess that you can do some things with the two-hander that you
can't do with a one-handed topspin backhand unless you have a huge
amount
of forearm strength. I do play with someone that uses a one-hander for
some backhands and a two-hander when the ball is deep and high.

This discussion reminds me of the penholder vs shake-hands debate in
table-tennis.