For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Will Harpe » Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:09:08


Better luck next year.

w

Quote:

>Hello,

>To the guys working in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business, I
>would like to ask you about a trade show to attend where I can check
>out products from different manufacturers and try them if possible. I
>am talking about boards, sails, kites, etc. for a school and retail;
>if there's a show where you can check out that type of products as
>well as apparel that would be ideal. I heard about Surf Expo in
>Orlando but I don't think you can try the products here, and another
>show in Texas but I don't have any more information on that one.

>I will appreciate any information you can provide.

>Dirk L.

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Roger Jacks » Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:53:30

Hello Dirk,
Well, as Will H. suggests, better luck next year.
I'm not sure about kites, but I know that the Monday and Tuesday after the
Orlando Surf Expo
show many of the Windsurfing related businesses
where over on Merritt Island (about 45 min. east of Orlando) doing a full
blown dealers only demo of all the new '05 gear.
I also know that a couple of weeks ago there was the AWSI
Industry/Retailer Summit on South Padre Island for 6 days featuring all
the latest in Windsurfing and Kitesurfing gear, all day demos, every day
plus alot  of product seminars.
If you are "in the industry" or a Windsurfing/Kitesurfing retailer how you
missed being notified about these demo opportunities is beyond me.
If you are simply a consumer, check out some of the dealer sponsored demos
all around the country.
Depending on where you are located there could be a demo in your home
waters.
Sailworks/Starboard/Powerex/HPL have a large demo operation that travels
all over the country.
BIC North America/Gaastra has a somewhat smaller demo operation that
travels through out most of the country supporting their dealers.
Exocet/Aerotech Sails/Epic Gear  also has a demo
large demo trailer that travels in the Southeast and Florida.
Northsports has a huge demo fleet in Cape Hatteras at the Windsurfing
Hatteras shop.
For Kiteboarding, check the Hatteras area as there are lots of shops here
that offer lessons, some demo gear (I think because I know very little
about kiting).
Mark the 3rd week in April down on your calendar.
That's when the huge Frisco Woods Windfest occurs. Many of the demo people
will be there for that event, and you can cover kites and windsurfing in
the same area.
Hope this helps,
Quote:

> Hello,

> To the guys working in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business, I
> would like to ask you about a trade show to attend where I can check
> out products from different manufacturers and try them if possible. I
> am talking about boards, sails, kites, etc. for a school and retail;
> if there's a show where you can check out that type of products as
> well as apparel that would be ideal. I heard about Surf Expo in
> Orlando but I don't think you can try the products here, and another
> show in Texas but I don't have any more information on that one.

> I will appreciate any information you can provide.

> Dirk L.


 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:59:54

Where in Latin America?

This is probably my favorite part of the World (yeah, I know, its a big
area). I am curious if the industry is growing there.

Jay


Quote:
> Thank you Roger, your answer was quite helpful.

> So the Surf Expo in Orlando does have a product demo, great. I will
> check out the South Padre Island one as well.

> I am not in the industry nor am I based in the US, but rather someone
> that is interested in entering the equipment and clothing as well as
> the windsurfing and kitesurfing school businesses in Latin America.

> DL


 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by The Do » Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:30:37



Quote:
> Thank you Roger, your answer was quite helpful.

> So the Surf Expo in Orlando does have a product demo, great. I will
> check out the South Padre Island one as well.

> I am not in the industry nor am I based in the US, but rather someone
> that is interested in entering the equipment and clothing as well as
> the windsurfing and kitesurfing school businesses in Latin America.

From what I'm hearing, there will not be another AWSI show in South
Texas next year.  While fairly well run, the AWSI put additional
financial burden on the companies that attended both it and the Surf
Expo.  And based on what Surf Expo already offers with respect to
infrastructure, access, transportation and sailing venue, there's
really not a very good reason to have two shows.  

There's features about both shows that were good, but hopefully the
organizers will be smart enough to combine the best of both into one
show in Orlando.  

Dog
--
http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.thedoghouse.net

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:14:16

Ecuador huh? I lived in Quito for awhile back in '92. Good fun. I just
returned from a summer in the DR. What a mess!

When you decide on a spot, I'd be real curious to see where you go. I know
all about Peru and Chile. Totally untapped, but maybe a bit extreme for the
average tourist (at least the wave spots I have read about, either way off
the beaten path or quite advanced).

Jay


Quote:
> Jay,

> I am from Ecuador but have been in the Dominican Republic for the last
> year. Apparently the industry is growing; a couple of windsurfing
> schools have been opened in the last 2 years in Ecuador alone and
> kiting is starting to grow everywhere. In Peru there are many
> excellent windsurfing spots with strong thermal winds (colder water
> with deserts alongside) and some of them are also wave spots; Chile
> has spectacular wave sailing as well. Surfing has always been strong
> in LA, but lately, with the ALAS tour (regional pro-am surfing contest
> with 21 stops planned for 2005 in Chile, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru,
> Dminican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, among others), there has been
> an increase in awareness and interest in the sport and young people
> are eager to try it. At this point I don't have any statistical/market
> information to back that up but this is the trend I perceive.

> If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

> DL



>> Where in Latin America?

>> This is probably my favorite part of the World (yeah, I know, its a big
>> area). I am curious if the industry is growing there.

>> Jay



>> > Thank you Roger, your answer was quite helpful.

>> > So the Surf Expo in Orlando does have a product demo, great. I will
>> > check out the South Padre Island one as well.

>> > I am not in the industry nor am I based in the US, but rather someone
>> > that is interested in entering the equipment and clothing as well as
>> > the windsurfing and kitesurfing school businesses in Latin America.

>> > DL

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Damia » Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:08:28

Dirk

I don't know how far you're prepared to travel, but the London Boatshow
(January) is one of Europe's main WS events. If last year was anything to go
by, it'll get a bit crowded, but it's a big gathering of industry folk, plus
some awesome indoor windsurfing.

http://www.schroderslondonboatshow.com
http://www.boards.co.uk/main/article.asp?a=1141


Quote:
> Jay,

> I am from Ecuador but have been in the Dominican Republic for the last
> year. Apparently the industry is growing; a couple of windsurfing
> schools have been opened in the last 2 years in Ecuador alone and
> kiting is starting to grow everywhere. In Peru there are many
> excellent windsurfing spots with strong thermal winds (colder water
> with deserts alongside) and some of them are also wave spots; Chile
> has spectacular wave sailing as well. Surfing has always been strong
> in LA, but lately, with the ALAS tour (regional pro-am surfing contest
> with 21 stops planned for 2005 in Chile, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru,
> Dminican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, among others), there has been
> an increase in awareness and interest in the sport and young people
> are eager to try it. At this point I don't have any statistical/market
> information to back that up but this is the trend I perceive.

> If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

> DL



>> Where in Latin America?

>> This is probably my favorite part of the World (yeah, I know, its a big
>> area). I am curious if the industry is growing there.

>> Jay



>> > Thank you Roger, your answer was quite helpful.

>> > So the Surf Expo in Orlando does have a product demo, great. I will
>> > check out the South Padre Island one as well.

>> > I am not in the industry nor am I based in the US, but rather someone
>> > that is interested in entering the equipment and clothing as well as
>> > the windsurfing and kitesurfing school businesses in Latin America.

>> > DL

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Dir » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:44:57

Jay,

You were in Quito? Cool, I am actually from there.  Yeah, summer this
year in the Dominican Republic was not good. However, it was a bad
year in general for wind; I was here in 1999 and 2000 and they were
much better years. In 2000 it was actually really good in the summer
with something like 40 or more straight days with wind.

Chile and Peru are kind of extreme, although there are spots in Peru
that are more accessible. And yeah, they are both off the beaten path;
will let you know if I do something down there.

DL

Quote:



> > Thank you Roger, your answer was quite helpful.

> > So the Surf Expo in Orlando does have a product demo, great. I will
> > check out the South Padre Island one as well.

> > I am not in the industry nor am I based in the US, but rather someone
> > that is interested in entering the equipment and clothing as well as
> > the windsurfing and kitesurfing school businesses in Latin America.

> From what I'm hearing, there will not be another AWSI show in South
> Texas next year.  While fairly well run, the AWSI put additional
> financial burden on the companies that attended both it and the Surf
> Expo.  And based on what Surf Expo already offers with respect to
> infrastructure, access, transportation and sailing venue, there's
> really not a very good reason to have two shows.  

> There's features about both shows that were good, but hopefully the
> organizers will be smart enough to combine the best of both into one
> show in Orlando.  

> Dog

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jeff aka shredula » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:41:45

the DR eh,
 been there twice,  yea what a mess is an understatement!!!! if they
could only outlaw plastic!!!!! mind you with good water you dont need
plastic at all.....so start with water treatment plant but who has the
cash ...anywho just figured i;d drop a line a say that i thought the
same....
kitesailing now thats taken off (no pun intended)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    all the old guys are windsufers down there in the DR . however
kiting doesnt do much for the local shop scene IMHO. the nature of
kiting is such that kiters bring multiple kite kits no problem to
places like that.
i sated at the cabarte surfcamp aka alli's and i was the only
windsurfer there something of a kook meself i guess i was....
 windsurfers just cant do it, travel with all that gear that its ,or
if they do  is not worth it to travel far and thus the rental shops
popping up.
On a postive note,  kiting being much easier to do whilst travelling
will srpead alot futher and faster throughout promising spots in South
America.
shredulato out........

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:56:29

I took all my gear to the DR (windsurf). MAJOR hassle. It was also Gorge
gear. Hardly used any of it.

In my opinion, the DR is WAY over rated for windsurfing, perfect for kiting
though (consistent, but fairly light wind).

I felt it was a mess due to the electricity situation more than the
pollution. The electricity would turn off about 30 times a day, when it was
on at all.

Jay



Quote:
> the DR eh,
> been there twice,  yea what a mess is an understatement!!!! if they
> could only outlaw plastic!!!!! mind you with good water you dont need
> plastic at all.....so start with water treatment plant but who has the
> cash ...anywho just figured i;d drop a line a say that i thought the
> same....
> kitesailing now thats taken off (no pun intended)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>    all the old guys are windsufers down there in the DR . however
> kiting doesnt do much for the local shop scene IMHO. the nature of
> kiting is such that kiters bring multiple kite kits no problem to
> places like that.
> i sated at the cabarte surfcamp aka alli's and i was the only
> windsurfer there something of a kook meself i guess i was....
> windsurfers just cant do it, travel with all that gear that its ,or
> if they do  is not worth it to travel far and thus the rental shops
> popping up.
> On a postive note,  kiting being much easier to do whilst travelling
> will srpead alot futher and faster throughout promising spots in South
> America.
> shredulato out........

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jeff Feeh » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:32:56

winds are definitely not as consistent as other locations. the main
reason
to sail at cabarete is for the reef and the waves. there are only a
few
locations in the caribbean with a sailable reef and rental gear on the
beach. from what i know, the other places - silver sands beach
on barbados and shacks on puerto rico (which doesn't really have gear
on the beach) have even less reliable winds than cabarete.

if you value consistent wind over waves, other caribbean locations
will
be  better for you. i would recommend margarita for really consistent
and strong wind, with pretty good bump jump sailing.

if you live on the east coast, and want to sail waves over spring
break,
you have very few choices. maui is just too far for (and not so
family-friendly). and, outside of the summer, maui has pretty
inconsistent winds
too.

as far as electricity goes, many of the hotels have their own
generators.
in about 8 trips, i have not experienced even a minute without power.
if
uninterupted power is important, check to see that your acommodations
have
a generator.

jeff feehan

Quote:

> I took all my gear to the DR (windsurf). MAJOR hassle. It was also Gorge
> gear. Hardly used any of it.

> In my opinion, the DR is WAY over rated for windsurfing, perfect for kiting
> though (consistent, but fairly light wind).

> I felt it was a mess due to the electricity situation more than the
> pollution. The electricity would turn off about 30 times a day, when it was
> on at all.

> Jay

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:07:56

There is definitely a big difference between living there and visiting, as
only the best hotels run their generators all the time. Beware of Hotel Cita
del Sol, BTW. They advertise 24hr generators. Not so. They will not run it
during the day, and it often breaks down or they run out of fuel at night.

As Jeff stated, you won't notice the electricity probs in the nice hotels;
however, it is so bad now that the grocery stores will be an oven inside
(shop quick), and many of the internet shops are closed half the time. The
restaurants run even without electricity just fine. All outdoors with
lanterns, and gas cooking.

Jay


Quote:
> winds are definitely not as consistent as other locations. the main
> reason
> to sail at cabarete is for the reef and the waves. there are only a
> few
> locations in the caribbean with a sailable reef and rental gear on the
> beach. from what i know, the other places - silver sands beach
> on barbados and shacks on puerto rico (which doesn't really have gear
> on the beach) have even less reliable winds than cabarete.

> if you value consistent wind over waves, other caribbean locations
> will
> be  better for you. i would recommend margarita for really consistent
> and strong wind, with pretty good bump jump sailing.

> if you live on the east coast, and want to sail waves over spring
> break,
> you have very few choices. maui is just too far for (and not so
> family-friendly). and, outside of the summer, maui has pretty
> inconsistent winds
> too.

> as far as electricity goes, many of the hotels have their own
> generators.
> in about 8 trips, i have not experienced even a minute without power.
> if
> uninterupted power is important, check to see that your acommodations
> have
> a generator.

> jeff feehan



>> I took all my gear to the DR (windsurf). MAJOR hassle. It was also Gorge
>> gear. Hardly used any of it.

>> In my opinion, the DR is WAY over rated for windsurfing, perfect for
>> kiting
>> though (consistent, but fairly light wind).

>> I felt it was a mess due to the electricity situation more than the
>> pollution. The electricity would turn off about 30 times a day, when it
>> was
>> on at all.

>> Jay

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Lois Stufflebe » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:39:39

The

Quote:
> restaurants run even without electricity just fine. All outdoors with
> lanterns, and gas cooking.

What about refrigeration!!!!??  Propane?  
Lois
 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:08:44


Quote:


> The
>> restaurants run even without electricity just fine. All outdoors with
>> lanterns, and gas cooking.

> What about refrigeration!!!!??  Propane?
> Lois

Good point. My fridge would defrost on a daily basis. I never was sick once
eating out though, nor was anyone else I knew there. I usually ate out at
least once per day it was so cheap.

Jay

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by wind, rock, and sn » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:33:37

Hi Jay, for me I agree with Jeff Feehan, Cabarete is fantastic despite
some local electricity issues. Both my hotel Velero Beach Resort and
Vela Cabarete had backup electricity systems.  But all visitors will
experience the up and down of the electric.  90% of the time it is no
problem.

Hardly anyone brings their own gear to Cabarete for windsurfing but
rather rents it.  How can 6 windsurfing centers exist if the
windsurfing is bad? How can it be a world renowned windsurfing and
kiting destination resort if it is that bad?

Since I saw you in May and again in July, part of your Cabarete
disappointment was expectations.....you wanted 25 mph winds and they
are not the going rate there.  Even I was disappointed in the winds
sometimes but that's what big sails and big boards are for.  Always
saw the Euros out there planing.  With light winds break out the
formula boards.

I've been there 3 May trips, and 3 July trips for the past 3 summers
and "love dat place."  High winds above 25 is not the history but lots
of 12-24 mph days is the history. Many times, I see the windsurfing
staff members out there each and every day for a session on 5.0 stuff.
 Schlog out for .5 mile and get to the wind and waves...rip.  My fat
ass and skills required bigger.

Hope your shoulder gets better.  And I hope the electicity,
cleaniness, and other problems gets better in Cabarete, too.  I'm
going back in May and July.

Ned

Quote:

> There is definitely a big difference between living there and visiting, as
> only the best hotels run their generators all the time. Beware of Hotel Cita
> del Sol, BTW. They advertise 24hr generators. Not so. They will not run it
> during the day, and it often breaks down or they run out of fuel at night.

> As Jeff stated, you won't notice the electricity probs in the nice hotels;
> however, it is so bad now that the grocery stores will be an oven inside
> (shop quick), and many of the internet shops are closed half the time. The
> restaurants run even without electricity just fine. All outdoors with
> lanterns, and gas cooking.

> Jay



> > winds are definitely not as consistent as other locations. the main
> > reason
> > to sail at cabarete is for the reef and the waves. there are only a
> > few
> > locations in the caribbean with a sailable reef and rental gear on the
> > beach. from what i know, the other places - silver sands beach
> > on barbados and shacks on puerto rico (which doesn't really have gear
> > on the beach) have even less reliable winds than cabarete.

> > if you value consistent wind over waves, other caribbean locations
> > will
> > be  better for you. i would recommend margarita for really consistent
> > and strong wind, with pretty good bump jump sailing.

> > if you live on the east coast, and want to sail waves over spring
> > break,
> > you have very few choices. maui is just too far for (and not so
> > family-friendly). and, outside of the summer, maui has pretty
> > inconsistent winds
> > too.

> > as far as electricity goes, many of the hotels have their own
> > generators.
> > in about 8 trips, i have not experienced even a minute without power.
> > if
> > uninterupted power is important, check to see that your acommodations
> > have
> > a generator.

> > jeff feehan



> >> I took all my gear to the DR (windsurf). MAJOR hassle. It was also Gorge
> >> gear. Hardly used any of it.

> >> In my opinion, the DR is WAY over rated for windsurfing, perfect for
> >> kiting
> >> though (consistent, but fairly light wind).

> >> I felt it was a mess due to the electricity situation more than the
> >> pollution. The electricity would turn off about 30 times a day, when it
> >> was
> >> on at all.

> >> Jay

 
 
 

For people in the windsurfing/surfing/kitesurfing business

Post by Jay Halfor » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:50:24



Quote:
> Hi Jay, for me I agree with Jeff Feehan, Cabarete is fantastic despite
> some local electricity issues. Both my hotel Velero Beach Resort and
> Vela Cabarete had backup electricity systems.

I agreed that if you stay in the nice hotels, electricity wasn't so bad. I
lived there. Couldn't stay in the nice places.

Quote:

> Hardly anyone brings their own gear to Cabarete for windsurfing but
> rather rents it.

Not if you are going to stay long term.

Quote:
> Since I saw you in May and again in July, part of your Cabarete
> disappointment was expectations.....you wanted 25 mph winds and they
> are not the going rate there.  Even I was disappointed in the winds
> sometimes but that's what big sails and big boards are for.  Always
> saw the Euros out there planing.  With light winds break out the
> formula boards.

I didn't say the place was bad. I said over rated. It is a light wind
locale, hence the big boards. I went in summer as I was told it would be 20+
most of the time at that time of year, so that is what I expected, and what
I brought gear for.

I actually think the place as a party town is fun as hell, and its a
tremendous bargain for food, which I have also stated in more than one
thread. Its just not windy. Not by west coast standards anyway. Which may
explain why I was one of the only West Coasters there. Now I know better.

I will visit again for the food and fun, and will sail on Vela's big stuff.
I just won't go primarily for the wind.

The shoulder is screwed. Looking like surgery.

Cheers,
Jay