Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by tim_nitram_j.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:02:56


Hi all,

Alrighty so I came across a decent deal on an EVO 80 and was hoping to
get people's thoughts on the board.  I'd use it as a high-wind SF Bay
board and Sac Delta board.  I'm trying to find an economical fun
high-wind board.  My first choice would still probably be the JP
Freestyle Wave but only because I've ridden it before and have some
clue as to it's ride.

-Tim

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by campbel » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:29:44

I have a freestyle wave, and my sailing buddy has an evo (so I have ridden
both).  For bump and jump, I find the JP WAY more comfortable.  Its faster
and much nicer for locked-in sailing.  My friend has also concluded that my
JP is much better suited for our local conditions (lake and bay sailing).
He is thinking about keeping the evo for his costal trips, but buying a JP
for local sailing.


Quote:
> Hi all,

> Alrighty so I came across a decent deal on an EVO 80 and was hoping to
> get people's thoughts on the board.  I'd use it as a high-wind SF Bay
> board and Sac Delta board.  I'm trying to find an economical fun
> high-wind board.  My first choice would still probably be the JP
> Freestyle Wave but only because I've ridden it before and have some
> clue as to it's ride.

> -Tim


 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by tim_nitram_j.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:37:03

I figured that might be the case, the tough part is trying to deal with
the used market and knowing what to jump on and what not to.

Since my experience on the JP is super limited, the more opinions I
get, the better.  Is the JP more geared as a freeride board or does it
have some decent carving ability.  I currently ride a 97 *** almost
exclusively and it's a great board, but it sucks for gybing moves.  If
you're too agressive on the rails, it'll just stall out and slide
(sucks).  So I'd love to find something where I can really dig the
rails in on the turns.

-Tim

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by ratho.. » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:59:36

I've been riding the JP Freestyle Wave 84/85 for three years in a row
now, and although I do work for JP, it was the board I was going to buy
for myself before I started working for them.  The reason is because
it's a great all around board that does everything well... jibe, jump,
slash, freestyle, speed.  An awesome bump and jump board.  It's has a
lively ride that still goes through chop smoothly, and the deck shape
and thin rails keep your feet close to the water for sensitivity and
control.

The FSW are great boards for the Bay Area as they are good in flat
water and in swell.  I sail mine all over the Bay at Crissy, TI,
Berkeley, 3rd, Candlestick, and the Delta.

FYI, i'm about 165lbs, and I use this board w/ 5.2, 4.7, & 4.2.  I also
have a 5.4 Search that works awesome on this board.  You can go bigger,
too, but I personally don't b/c I have a bigger board to use when I'm
riding 5.7.  I'm generally not a long reach back and forth sailor, as I
love to ride swells and try tricks.  If I had to choose one board for
myself for the Bay Area, the FSW 84/85 would be it w/o any hesitation.

kev

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by Vince » Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:43:15

Hi Kev:   Since you have sailed the FSW 05 and 06 can you respond how
they compare ?  Mainly 4.2 - 5.9 range and 5.2 Sweet Spot.   Also, what
size fins work best.
Quote:

> I've been riding the JP Freestyle Wave 84/85 for three years in a row
> now, and although I do work for JP, it was the board I was going to buy
> for myself before I started working for them.  The reason is because
> it's a great all around board that does everything well... jibe, jump,
> slash, freestyle, speed.  An awesome bump and jump board.  It's has a
> lively ride that still goes through chop smoothly, and the deck shape
> and thin rails keep your feet close to the water for sensitivity and
> control.

> The FSW are great boards for the Bay Area as they are good in flat
> water and in swell.  I sail mine all over the Bay at Crissy, TI,
> Berkeley, 3rd, Candlestick, and the Delta.

> FYI, i'm about 165lbs, and I use this board w/ 5.2, 4.7, & 4.2.  I also
> have a 5.4 Search that works awesome on this board.  You can go bigger,
> too, but I personally don't b/c I have a bigger board to use when I'm
> riding 5.7.  I'm generally not a long reach back and forth sailor, as I
> love to ride swells and try tricks.  If I had to choose one board for
> myself for the Bay Area, the FSW 84/85 would be it w/o any hesitation.

> kev

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by ratho.. » Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:18:22

Quote:

> Hi Kev:   Since you have sailed the FSW 05 and 06 can you respond how
> they compare ?  Mainly 4.2 - 5.9 range and 5.2 Sweet Spot.   Also, what
> size fins work best.

Shape wise for 06, the FSW 85 got a little shorter and a little wider
and it sails w/ a little higher water position.  I'd say the first
differences I noticed were that the 06 seems to have a smoother ride
and the board feels more compact and maneuverable.  I found that from
04 to 05, the board got a livelier feel, but lost a little bit of
smoothness.  It seems like 06, the board got really smooth again, but
still has a great lively free feel.  Really fast.  It planes up a
little faster this year...a little wider in the tail w/ little more
thickness (b/c of the bigger tail bevel) which is nice for freestyle.
As usual, this board comes in Full Wood Sandwich construction, but new
for this year is the Pro Edition option (Full Carbon Kevlar deck, full
carbon bottom).  The new 06 sails really great.  Every year I get the
new one, I just pray that they don't***it up (don't fix it if it
ain't broken idea), and this year's board is awesome.

Component wise, it comes w/ a new, lower-aspect fin.  I'm about 165lbs,
and I find the new fin a little stiff for my taste, and I actually
prefer last year's flexier fin, but heavier guys will probably like the
new one better.  New footstraps have preformed shape, thicker neoprene
cover, elimination of one seam on the underside of the footstrap for
comfort, and new footstrap width adjustment washers.  The pads are also
a little grippier.

There are a couple fins I use on this board.  I have a 22cm wave fin
for higher winds (4.2), a 22cm elliptical freestyle fin that I really
like in flat water for 5.2 and 4.7, the stock fin (05 or 06) works well
for me for 4.7 to 5.4.  I would use something like a Finworks Wave
Blade 10.75 or 11.5 for a 5.9.

kev

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by barryxw.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:49:01

I can't comment on the JP because I have a first generation Evo 80, and
love it BTW, but I can let you know that it probably more like 83L. I'm
168# and it's the board of choice for 4.0-5.0 conditions. I can make a
5.6 work if it's steady. The board is too big when it gets crazy 4.0,
but its short length and dropping down to a tiny fin helps. Not the
best stick for psycho-chop, but if the wind if high enough to organize
the swell [or as a wave board] and smooth things out, it's a sweet
ride. If the price is right, buy it...
-B
Quote:

> Hi all,

> Alrighty so I came across a decent deal on an EVO 80 and was hoping to
> get people's thoughts on the board.  ...
> -Tim

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by WARDO » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:20:13

Quote:

> I have a first generation Evo 80, and
>> love it

If you love the 1st gen EVO 80 (2004) then you'll really love the 2nd
gen (2005)...and if you really, really love the 2nd gen 2005 EVO
80...(you guessed it...;-) then you'll really, really, really love the
3rd gen EVO 83 (2006)...best EVO ever, IMO...

Brian rode his in over 50mph winds...and so have I...but, we have 200
lbs of ocean motion experience to hold it down...and we're riding waves
in the surf zone which is always lighter...no matter where in the world
you go...
http://www.surfingsports.com/cali_october_wind/slides/cali_sf_windy_o...
http://www.surfingsports.com/cali_september/slides/cali_bri15.jpg
http://www.surfingsports.com/cali_september/slides/cali_bri20.jpg

He just got the new 2006 Starboard Pure Acid 80...a much better high
wind board...and really, really, really loves it...;-)
(So do I)...

Like you said...the fin is the key, especially if you're using the E-80
in high winds and psycho chop...actually, it doesn't matter where you
ride the E-80...the fin is still key...

http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_2006_evo_83_91g.jpg
http://www.surfingsports.com/freeweed_875.asp

Lots of rake...and horizontal grip...with engineered fin tip
flex...otherwise, the EVO 80 will "swim" on you...

 > I can make a
 > 5.6 work if it's steady.

At your weight, you should be able to carry a 6.2m2 on it...we can at
200lbs...not ideal, but, doable if you like big sail/small board combos...

There are indeed some sweet deals on the 1st gen EVO's...
http://www.surfingsports.com/bargains.asp

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com

Quote:
> I can't comment on the JP because I have a first generation Evo 80, and
> love it BTW, but I can let you know that it probably more like 83L. I'm
> 168# and it's the board of choice for 4.0-5.0 conditions. I can make a
> 5.6 work if it's steady. The board is too big when it gets crazy 4.0,
> but its short length and dropping down to a tiny fin helps. Not the
> best stick for psycho-chop, but if the wind if high enough to organize
> the swell [or as a wave board] and smooth things out, it's a sweet
> ride. If the price is right, buy it...
> -B


>>Hi all,

>>Alrighty so I came across a decent deal on an EVO 80 and was hoping to
>>get people's thoughts on the board.  ...
>>-Tim

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by jeff feeha » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:57:03

september/slides/cali_bri20.jpg

Quote:

> He just got the new 2006 Starboard Pure Acid 80...a much better high
> wind board...and really, really, really loves it...;-)
> (So do I)...

the pure acid 80 is the board i sailed the most last week in cabarete.

i can't say enough good things about this board - probably the most
fun board i have ever sailed..., fantastic control in rough water, amazing
carving ability, very fast with great jumping potential.

2 years ago, when i returned from cabarete, i posted here about how much i
loved the 2004 acid 80. i didn't get to sail the 2005 last year, because i
broke my toe while i was there, but that's another story - i'm sure the 2005
is also great.

try it if you get a chance.

i used it with 5.2-5.6 wave sails, and a 25cm starboard wave fin - one cm
bigger than, but otherwise identical to, the stock 24cm fin that comes with
the board. i did this because there can be a strong current going downwind
on the reef at cabarete. the fin worked fine. the board actually goes upwind
quite well, so i would probably have been fine on the 24cm as well. i just
wanted to make it a little easier to stay in the right spot on the reef.

i also sailed the 06 pure acid 86, and the 05 pure acid 93 (i think there is
no 06 93) they are both also great, but the pure acid 80 is something special.

in also gave the JP real world waves a try - for me, they don't come close to
the fun of the pure acid boards.

jeff

 
 
 

Thoughts on the EVO 80.

Post by WARDO » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:28:13

Quote:

> i also sailed the 06 pure acid 86, and the 05 pure acid 93 (i think there is
> no 06 93) they are both also great, but the pure acid 80 is something special.

Hi Jeff,
I had a Pure Acid 86 Wood, but one of my team riders grabbed it before I
could ride it...glad you scored some killer wind...
The '06 Pure Acid 73 is also a keeper...for the record, the board that
you are referring to is the '05 Acid 94...

http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_acid_94_deck.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_acid_94_volume.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_acid_94_bottom.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_acid_94_nose.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/starboard_acid94_noserocker.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/spring_cali1.jpg

I let Brian Caserio ride it last year, he hadn't sailed in over 3 years
and just went off...he's riding an '06 proto now...obviously, it's the
red board in the pics...

http://www.surfingsports.com/brian_caserio/index.html

A couple of D'Port guys got some from me and are riding them...
One guy named Ed, is in quite a few of Alex Pang's pics...

The Pure Acids have some EVO in them this year...

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com

Quote:

> september/slides/cali_bri20.jpg

>> He just got the new 2006 Starboard Pure Acid 80...a much better high
>> wind board...and really, really, really loves it...;-)
>> (So do I)...

> the pure acid 80 is the board i sailed the most last week in cabarete.

> i can't say enough good things about this board - probably the most
> fun board i have ever sailed..., fantastic control in rough water, amazing
> carving ability, very fast with great jumping potential.

> 2 years ago, when i returned from cabarete, i posted here about how much i
> loved the 2004 acid 80. i didn't get to sail the 2005 last year, because i
> broke my toe while i was there, but that's another story - i'm sure the
> 2005
> is also great.

> try it if you get a chance.

> i used it with 5.2-5.6 wave sails, and a 25cm starboard wave fin - one cm
> bigger than, but otherwise identical to, the stock 24cm fin that comes with
> the board. i did this because there can be a strong current going downwind
> on the reef at cabarete. the fin worked fine. the board actually goes
> upwind
> quite well, so i would probably have been fine on the 24cm as well. i just
> wanted to make it a little easier to stay in the right spot on the reef.

> i also sailed the 06 pure acid 86, and the 05 pure acid 93 (i think
> there is
> no 06 93) they are both also great, but the pure acid 80 is something
> special.

> in also gave the JP real world waves a try - for me, they don't come
> close to
> the fun of the pure acid boards.

> jeff