Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by Gerard Hor » Fri, 10 Apr 1992 03:34:17


I just got two new sails yesterday, 5.0 and a 5.5 North Prizma ( 1992).
I also bought  the correct mast, North Carbon Base with the 220 Top.

I spent about an hour rigging the 5.0 last night and think I am missing
something. I understand that the 1992 sails are controlled by the
amount of downhaul, no outhaul, however a couple of questions.

Should I be able to downhaul the sail so much that the TOP of the sail is
complete loose? ie wrinkles between batten 2 and 3.

I downhauled as hard as I could but the sail did not get  that sickly
loose looking TOP.

My boom is a chinook clamp-on boom, with no out haul the draft is so deep
the sail is against the boom. DO I need a new boom or should I apply
some outhaul?. The instructions indicate that no tension should be
on the outhaul. When they say no tension do they really mean no tension?

In riggin these sails if no outhaul is required

Any suggestions / comment on rigging these sails appreciated!!!!

gerard

PS: I also bought a 1992 4.3 Infinity, any advice on rigging that
also appreciated.


 
 
 

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by Michele Fabre » Fri, 10 Apr 1992 05:14:15

|>
|> I just got two new sails yesterday, 5.0 and a 5.5 North Prizma ( 1992).
|> I also bought  the correct mast, North Carbon Base with the 220 Top.
|>
|> I spent about an hour rigging the 5.0 last night and think I am missing
|> something. I understand that the 1992 sails are controlled by the
|> amount of downhaul, no outhaul, however a couple of questions.
|> ...
|> My boom is a chinook clamp-on boom, with no out haul the draft is so deep
|> the sail is against the boom. DO I need a new boom or should I apply
|> some outhaul?. The instructions indicate that no tension should be
|> on the outhaul. When they say no tension do they really mean no tension?
|>
|>
|> In riggin these sails if no outhaul is required

The sails I use (WindWing) require very little outhaul tension.  However,
what I have learned is that I give them a moderate amount of downhaul
tension, then as much outhaul as possible to flatten the sail, which
enables you to get MORE downhaul. When you are done, you ease the outhaul
tension.

 
 
 

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by Robert Poortin » Fri, 10 Apr 1992 08:36:40

Quote:

>I just got two new sails yesterday, 5.0 and a 5.5 North Prizma ( 1992).
>I also bought  the correct mast, North Carbon Base with the 220 Top.

>Should I be able to downhaul the sail so much that the TOP of the sail is
>complete loose? ie wrinkles between batten 2 and 3.

Sounds about right.

Quote:
>I downhauled as hard as I could but the sail did not get  that sickly
>loose looking TOP.

>My boom is a chinook clamp-on boom, with no out haul the draft is so deep
>the sail is against the boom. DO I need a new boom or should I apply
>some outhaul?. The instructions indicate that no tension should be
>on the outhaul. When they say no tension do they really mean no tension?

Yes, that's no tension AFTER you get the proper downhaul tension.

I do not have one of the new Prisma's, but I have a Waddell Race that is
pretty similar.  The fact that your draft is so deep tells me that you
do not have enough downhaul tension.

In order to get enough downhaul, alternately tighten the outhaul and the
downhaul until the sail is flat enough.  Tighten the battens and then
release the tension on the outhaul.  Do not tighten the battens until
the sail is completely downhauled.

Quote:
>PS: I also bought a 1992 4.3 Infinity, any advice on rigging that
>also appreciated.

Try rigging it on a North wave mast.  IMHO, the carbon and aluminum masts
are too stiff for the 4.3.

Bob Poortinga  (6'0", 180 lbs)      It's a hard wind that's gonna blow...

[O'Brien 8'8", Bic Hard Rock 9'3", O'Brien GS Race 12', North & Waddell quiver]

 
 
 

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by GARY BOAT » Sat, 11 Apr 1992 00:28:08


Quote:

>>I just got two new sails yesterday, 5.0 and a 5.5 North Prizma ( 1992).
>>I also bought  the correct mast, North Carbon Base with the 220 Top.

>>Should I be able to downhaul the sail so much that the TOP of the sail is
>>complete loose? ie wrinkles between batten 2 and 3.
>Sounds about right.
>>I downhauled as hard as I could but the sail did not get  that sickly
>>loose looking TOP.

>>My boom is a chinook clamp-on boom, with no out haul the draft is so deep
>>the sail is against the boom. DO I need a new boom or should I apply
>>some outhaul?. The instructions indicate that no tension should be
>>on the outhaul. When they say no tension do they really mean no tension?
>Yes, that's no tension AFTER you get the proper downhaul tension.
>I do not have one of the new Prisma's, but I have a Waddell Race that is
>pretty similar.  The fact that your draft is so deep tells me that you
>do not have enough downhaul tension.
>In order to get enough downhaul, alternately tighten the outhaul and the
>downhaul until the sail is flat enough.  Tighten the battens and then
>release the tension on the outhaul.  Do not tighten the battens until
>the sail is completely downhauled.
>>PS: I also bought a 1992 4.3 Infinity, any advice on rigging that
>>also appreciated.
>Try rigging it on a North wave mast.  IMHO, the carbon and aluminum masts
>are too stiff for the 4.3.
>Bob Poortinga  (6'0", 180 lbs)      It's a hard wind that's gonna blow...

>[O'Brien 8'8", Bic Hard Rock 9'3", O'Brien GS Race 12', North & Waddell quiver]

Actually the north carbon 200 cm with the space tec or wave bottom is fine
for smaller infinities but alu or carbon is too stiff.
 
 
 

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by Matt Yamamo » Sat, 11 Apr 1992 05:15:23

Quote:
> I just got two new sails yesterday, 5.0 and a 5.5 North Prizma ( 1992).
> I also bought  the correct mast, North Carbon Base with the 220 Top.

> I spent about an hour rigging the 5.0 last night and think I am missing
> something. I understand that the 1992 sails are controlled by the
> amount of downhaul, no outhaul, however a couple of questions.

> Should I be able to downhaul the sail so much that the TOP of the sail is
> complete loose? ie wrinkles between batten 2 and 3.

I do not own a North Prisma but most people I know who have modern race
or slalom sails usually rig their sail so that the leach is floppy or at
least loose.  The windier it is, the more floppy you need to make the
leach.

Quote:
> I downhauled as hard as I could but the sail did not get  that sickly
> loose looking TOP.

I had this same problem with my '92 4.2 Waddell MonoSlalom when rigging
it on the recommended mast (Fiberspar 460/25).  In fact, I pulled on the
downhaul so hard that the EasyRig rigging tool exploded in my hand.  I
contacted Waddell sails to see what they recommended and they advised
using a pulley system that allows a 6 to 1 ratio downhaul instead of the
4 to 1 ration I was using.  Unfortunately, the cleat on my mast base
extension only allows a 4 to 1 ratio.  When I told them this, they
suggested using a 5 to 1 pulley system.  This can be done by tying one
end of your downhaul line to the downhaul sail grommet and then looping
it through the pulleys so as to get a 5 to 1 ratio.  Although this will
allow you to get a little more leverage when downhauling, you must now
have a downhaul line attached to every sail.  If you don't already have a
cleat that allows a 6 to 1 ratio, you can probably install one yourself
or have a shop do it.  If you already have a 6 to 1 cleat and are using
a 6 to 1 pulley system, then I would suggest you get a membership at
Gold's Gym and start doing some of those horizontal rowing exercises :-).

Also when rigging your smaller sails, if you adjust your adjustable sail
top that so your mast base extension is extended as little as possible,
the sail will sit on the higher more flexible part of the mast.  This
should make downhualing a little easier.

Incidentally, when I asked Waddell sails about attaching a micro pulley
to the sail grommet to get more leverage, they recommended against this
because it puts too much stress on the sail grommet.

Quote:
> My boom is a chinook clamp-on boom, with no out haul the draft is so deep
> the sail is against the boom. DO I need a new boom or should I apply
> some outhaul?. The instructions indicate that no tension should be
> on the outhaul. When they say no tension do they really mean no tension?

When properly rigged, my sails touch the boom near the clew of the sail.
If your sails are touching the boom near the deepest part of the draft,
then it is likely you do not have enough downhaul on the sail.  Downhauling
the sail more will flatten it out.
 
 
 

Rigging 1992 N. Prizma Sails

Post by Tom Sheffie » Wed, 15 Apr 1992 01:39:27



|> >PS: I also bought a 1992 4.3 Infinity, any advice on rigging that
|> >also appreciated.
|>
|> Try rigging it on a North wave mast.  IMHO, the carbon and aluminum masts
|> are too stiff for the 4.3.

I agree! I got the red HTF base and that helped a lot with my '91 North Infinity.

--
Tom S.