Is silver paint brittle?

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by Crabb » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 01:21:25


Okay, I admit to knowing just about nothing about paint (so I'm
asking,) but the other day I was looking at a silver board and there
seemed to be an inordinate amount of chipping, especially around the
fin box.  It got me to thinking that maybe, everything else being
equal, metallic paints aren't the best idea for a board.  Or is there
not enough metal in there to matter?  Maybe the guy was just ***
the board.  It was used one season.
 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by Florian Feuse » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 02:45:38


Quote:
> Okay, I admit to knowing just about nothing about paint (so I'm
> asking,) but the other day I was looking at a silver board and there
> seemed to be an inordinate amount of chipping, especially around the
> fin box.  It got me to thinking that maybe, everything else being
> equal, metallic paints aren't the best idea for a board.  Or is there
> not enough metal in there to matter?  Maybe the guy was just ***
> the board.  It was used one season.

Not sure if any pigment used in the paint would have much influence on
the quality and adhesion of a paint. My old (2003) AB+ wave (silver
bottom and rails) has a lots of chipped areas even though I was
reasonably careful with it. The metal in the paint (if any) would be
the tinyest flakes, which I imagine have little influence on the
physical properties of the cured paint. I think the reflection of light
and heat would actually protect the paint, but perhaps these advantages
are outweighed by poor adhesion in individual cases.

FTR: The newer ABs (I own a HiTech-branded 7'11" wave) are much more
solidly built.

--
florian - NY22

http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by kike » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 04:21:57


Quote:
> Okay, I admit to knowing just about nothing about paint (so I'm
> asking,) but the other day I was looking at a silver board and there
> seemed to be an inordinate amount of chipping, especially around the
> fin box.  It got me to thinking that maybe, everything else being
> equal, metallic paints aren't the best idea for a board.  Or is there
> not enough metal in there to matter?  Maybe the guy was just ***
> the board.  It was used one season.

Funny thing. My silver 2006 SB Kombat had a bit of paint chipping near
the fin box, It started roughly after three months of use, took the
board to different shops and everybody agreed it was just cosmetic. I
also went to the SB forum and asked about this to find out that other
Kombat owners had the same thing happening to their boards and also in
the same place, It seems like a bit of the fin stress is transmitted
to the paint over the edge of the fin box, the paint layer in this
area seems to be thinner and very little to no fiberglass is found
between the paint and the edge of the finbox.

 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by kike » Mon, 02 Apr 2007 04:36:25


Quote:

> > Okay, I admit to knowing just about nothing about paint (so I'm
> > asking,) but the other day I was looking at a silver board and there
> > seemed to be an inordinate amount of chipping, especially around the
> > fin box.  It got me to thinking that maybe, everything else being
> > equal, metallic paints aren't the best idea for a board.  Or is there
> > not enough metal in there to matter?  Maybe the guy was just ***
> > the board.  It was used one season.

> Funny thing. My silver 2006 SB Kombat had a bit of paint chipping near
> the fin box, It started roughly after three months of use, took the
> board to different shops and everybody agreed it was just cosmetic. I
> also went to the SB forum and asked about this to find out that other
> Kombat owners had the same thing happening to their boards and also in
> the same place, It seems like a bit of the fin stress is transmitted
> to the paint over the edge of the fin box, the paint layer in this
> area seems to be thinner and very little to no fiberglass is found
> between the paint and the edge of the finbox.

I also noticed that, even though I'm always taking good care of my
boards, scratches and little s***were seen in some places, it seems
like they stand out much more against silver paint compared to my
white boards.
 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by Crabb » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 02:26:54

   The metal in the paint (if any) would be

Quote:
> the tinyest flakes, which I imagine have little influence on the
> physical properties of the cured paint. I think the reflection of light
> and heat would actually protect the paint, but perhaps these advantages
> are outweighed by poor adhesion in individual cases.
> florian - NY22

> http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/florianfeuser.html

Okay sure, but if you want to reflect light and heat, white is still
the best way to go.

Crabby

 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by Crabb » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 02:28:38

Quote:
> Funny thing. My silver 2006 SB Kombat had a bit of paint chipping near
> the fin box, It started roughly after three months of use, took the
> board to different shops and everybody agreed it was just cosmetic. I
> also went to the SB forum and asked about this to find out that other
> Kombat owners had the same thing happening to their boards and also in
> the same place, It seems like a bit of the fin stress is transmitted
> to the paint over the edge of the fin box, the paint layer in this
> area seems to be thinner and very little to no fiberglass is found
> between the paint and the edge of the finbox.

 
 
 

Is silver paint brittle?

Post by Crabb » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 02:35:49

Quote:
> Funny thing. My silver 2006 SB Kombat had a bit of paint chipping near
> the fin box, It started roughly after three months of use, took the
> board to different shops and everybody agreed it was just cosmetic. I
> also went to the SB forum and asked about this to find out that other
> Kombat owners had the same thing happening to their boards and also in
> the same place, It seems like a bit of the fin stress is transmitted
> to the paint over the edge of the fin box, the paint layer in this
> area seems to be thinner and very little to no fiberglass is found
> between the paint and the edge of the finbox.

It was a 2006 Kombat that I was looking at.  I have a 2002 Carve 90
(blue, of course) that also has an A-box and does not have any
chipping whatsoever.  Not that I'm implying any direct correlation to
color; but I do wonder if it might be part of it.  Eva, are you out
there?

Crabby