iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by (PeteCresswell » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:25:01


Per Juan:

Quote:
>Firefox + adblock = not a single ad in iwindsurf.com.

VERY cool!

I just became a FireFox user.....

Thanks.

--
PeteCresswell

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by (PeteCresswell » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:32:01


Quote:
>OTOH, these ads do irritate me... that's one of the
>reasons I have no desire to resume my long standing relationship with
>iWindsurf.

Considering possibly-widespread reactions like that, plus the availability of
FireFox+AdBlock, one would think that The Powers That Be (i.e. the guys selling
advertising or the guys spec-ing it...) would catch on and try to guide
advertisers into less-intrusive copy.

I used to be a happy camper with adds.... just sort of ignore them unless it's
something possibly relevant and then occasionally click the link.    

Now, after only a couple weeks of what I perceive as overly-intrusive flashing
ads, I'm totally lost to the guys paying not only for the intrusive ads, but for
the regular ads:  I use FireFox+AdBlock and I don't see *any* ads.... their
advertising money is basically going down the drain...

Once the functional equivalent of AdBlock becomes available to IE users, my
guess is that there will be a shakeout in the online advertising world.... at
least until somebody figures out how to do ads that cannot be blocked.
--
PeteCresswell

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Florian Feuse » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:01:04


Quote:


>>> One thing iW could do is to offer an ad-free site for a premium
>>> (similar to how you can use Eudora in free/ad-supported mode, or in
>>> premium/ad-free mode for a small fee). How many users would pony up
>>> for that, I wonder? Probably not enough to justify the additional web
>>> development.

>> For me it's not ads vs ad-free.  It's the flashing/moving ads that interfere
>> with the basic functionality (from the user's perspective) of the page.

>> When something flashes, the eye wants to zero in on it - and it's stressful to
>> have to keep fighting that reflex in order to read the page.

> Firefox + adblock = not a single ad in iwindsurf.com.

> ++*Juan-- (who owes his salary to ads, but the relevant, non-flashy,
> non-intrusive ones).

Firefox 1.5 does an even greater job at blocking content. Would be nice
to see the graphs...
Besides, the site minus ads is still dog slow. I am definitively not
sure I'll resubscribe at this point.

--
florian - NY22

http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/florianfeuser.html

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Florian Feuse » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:34:32

On 2007-04-05 00:01:04 -0400, Florian Feuser

Quote:
>> Firefox + adblock = not a single ad in iwindsurf.com.

>> ++*Juan-- (who owes his salary to ads, but the relevant, non-flashy,
>> non-intrusive ones).

> Firefox 1.5 does an even greater job at blocking content. Would be nice
> to see the graphs...
> Besides, the site minus ads is still dog slow. I am definitively not
> sure I'll resubscribe at this point.

Well, I seem to have figured it out... it's not that difficult after
all. Thanks to shift-8, iWS is now ad-free (but still slow, and without
forecasts in the winter).

--
florian - NY22

http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/florianfeuser.html

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by cosmicharli » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:27:44


Quote:
> > You'd think that they would at least get the target-specific marketing right...

> I guess  they assume there's crossover appeal ... I'm not so sure...

They got it right.  They are trying to sell the sport of surf kiting
to windsurfers.  In other words, since you already own a lot of
windsurfing equipment, you are more likely to buy a lot of kiting
equipment than you are of replacing all the WSing stuff you already
own.
Quote:
>>Also, I use iwindsurf on my cell phone, and it's all text based - no ads or anything. <<

Don't think they won't find a way to advertise on it.  They are like
the Public Television people.  They've been begging for money for
years, but now that they are on the cable they can also run adds for
their major contributors.  Give 'em an inch and they will take a mile.
 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Glenn Woodel » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 23:00:15



Quote:

>> > You'd think that they would at least get the target-specific marketing right...

>> I guess  they assume there's crossover appeal ... I'm not so sure...
>They got it right.  They are trying to sell the sport of surf kiting
>to windsurfers.  In other words, since you already own a lot of
>windsurfing equipment, you are more likely to buy a lot of kiting
>equipment than you are of replacing all the WSing stuff you already
>own.

Not the case at all. See my earlier post.

Quote:
>>>Also, I use iwindsurf on my cell phone, and it's all text based - no ads or anything. <<
>Don't think they won't find a way to advertise on it.  They are like
>the Public Television people.  They've been begging for money for
>years, but now that they are on the cable they can also run adds for
>their major contributors.  Give 'em an inch and they will take a mile.

Look at it another way. You are trying to sell your ad to some
windsurfing gear company. You tell them that their ads will not reach
anyone at all because they are not willing to do anything to make them
reach the subscribers. That's like selling a bill board ad but telling
the buyer that the ad is going to have to go on the back side so it
will not annoy anyone.

Let's face it. Advertising is annoying. Not always though. Maybe it
would be worthwhile for them to have nice photo galleries paid for by
the advertisers. That way it's voluntary But still, you'd be reaching
a smaller audience.

Any company is going to try to get as much money as they can. Some
will do it to fill the coffers of the owners. Others will use it to
put back into the business. iWindsurf has always done the latter? You
don't think so? Just spend some time around the staff.

Am I sticking up for them? Yep. I believe in what they do and it's the
best thing around. Kick them out of business and then we're stuck with
the NWS with weather stations 15 miles from the launches.

Glenn

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Glenn Woodel » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 23:01:23

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 00:34:32 -0400, Florian Feuser

Quote:

>On 2007-04-05 00:01:04 -0400, Florian Feuser

>>> Firefox + adblock = not a single ad in iwindsurf.com.

>>> ++*Juan-- (who owes his salary to ads, but the relevant, non-flashy,
>>> non-intrusive ones).

>> Firefox 1.5 does an even greater job at blocking content. Would be nice
>> to see the graphs...
>> Besides, the site minus ads is still dog slow. I am definitively not
>> sure I'll resubscribe at this point.

>Well, I seem to have figured it out... it's not that difficult after
>all. Thanks to shift-8, iWS is now ad-free (but still slow, and without
>forecasts in the winter).

It's never been slow for me. But I'll stand with you on the winter
forecasts issue.

Glenn

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Florian Feuse » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 23:43:16


Quote:
> Don't think they won't find a way to advertise on it.  They are like
> the Public Television people.  They've been begging for money for
> years, but now that they are on the cable they can also run adds for
> their major contributors.  Give 'em an inch and they will take a mile.

"Those people" are begging for money because they were supposed to be
providing a public service that was supposed to have some independence
of individual or corporate contributors and their interests. Cue New
Gingrich....

--
florian - NY22

http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/florianfeuser.html

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by (PeteCresswell » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:26:38

Per Glenn Woodell:

Quote:
>It's never been slow for me. But I'll stand with you on the winter
>forecasts issue.

Our resident 13-year-old believes FireFox tb consistently slower than IE.

Now that she's said it, I kinda think that too.

OTOH I'm one of those people who can feel how much better their car runs after
being washed and waxed.
--
PeteCresswell

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Jrob » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:46:36

Quote:

> OTOH I'm one of those people who can feel how much better their car runs after
> being washed and waxed.
> --
> PeteCresswell

You say that in jest, but I've found a 1-2mpg difference on longer
trips once my truck has been washed.  Instead of the gritty texture I
feel on the paint when it's dirty.  What's wax?

J

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Michae » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:19:13

I for one would be happy if they would just ONCE respond to a
complaint.   They are big about saying "our email might be confused
with spam" but for years now I've never heard back from them.  I've
found enough wind sensors and cams outside of (or non exclusive to)
iwindsurf that I'm strongly considering dropping the membership, given
the bad service I've received personally.   It sounds like it depends
where in the country you are in terms of their responsiveness.
 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by The Do » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:41:09


Quote:
> > OTOH I'm one of those people who can feel how much better their car runs after
> > being washed and waxed.
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> You say that in jest, but I've found a 1-2mpg difference on longer
> trips once my truck has been washed.  Instead of the gritty texture I
> feel on the paint when it's dirty.  What's wax?

> J

There's a reason long haul truckers like to keep their rigs clean...

Dog

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Glenn Woodel » Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:11:16



Quote:
>I for one would be happy if they would just ONCE respond to a
>complaint.   They are big about saying "our email might be confused
>with spam" but for years now I've never heard back from them.  I've
>found enough wind sensors and cams outside of (or non exclusive to)
>iwindsurf that I'm strongly considering dropping the membership, given
>the bad service I've received personally.   It sounds like it depends
>where in the country you are in terms of their responsiveness.

Send your complaints/suggestions to me. I will get them to the right
person. I don't know why you have been apparently ignored.

cox
net

Glenn

 
 
 

iWindsurf: Anybody Else Bugged By Flashing Ads?

Post by Michae » Mon, 09 Apr 2007 06:04:36


Quote:


> >I for one would be happy if they would just ONCE respond to a
> >complaint.   They are big about saying "our email might be confused
> >with spam" but for years now I've never heard back from them.  I've
> >found enough wind sensors and cams outside of (or non exclusive to)
> >iwindsurf that I'm strongly considering dropping the membership, given
> >the bad service I've received personally.   It sounds like it depends
> >where in the country you are in terms of their responsiveness.

> Send your complaints/suggestions to me. I will get them to the right
> person. I don't know why you have been apparently ignored.
> letsrig

> cox
> net

> Glenn

I will do that...thanks Glenn!