Looking for beginner tips

Looking for beginner tips

Post by Joel Fra » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00


Hi, I started windsurfing last year, and I'm starting to notice that
I'm improving that much these days.  I intend to take some lessons
later this summer, but maybe I can get some quick tips in the
meantime.  I have two boards, a large heavy Bic beginner board with a
daggerboard and mast track, and a lighter, shorter Fanatic Bat (170l?)
also with a daggerboard and mast track (and footstraps which I haven't
used.  I weigh around 210 lbs (96kg.)  I usually sail in 7-15 mph wind
with a 6.5m^2 sail (Gaastra 1x.)  I have smaller sails too.  I have
used my 5.5m^2 in higher wind and had pretty much the same problems
that I do in lighter wind with the larger sail.

What I have noticed:

I have trouble sailing without the mast all the way back or nearly so.

I have trouble sailing downwind, part of that may be because the mast
is all the way aft.

I usually only feel comfortable with one foot forward of the mast or
just aft of it.

 I have trouble moving my weight back, so when the wind picks up the
nose dives and water flows over the board.

If I try to move back, it feels like I'm fighting something, like I
could do it if I were stronger, but it seems to me that it shouldn't
take that much strength.  I'm pretty strong (I can carry that Bic
around by myself and it seems to weigh about as much as a hot water
heater.)

I'm comfortable moving around the board otherwise.  I have no problem
tacking, and jibing (with the board almost stalled.)  

I don't use the Bic much, it's really unmanuverable and I can't carry
any speed through a jibe.  The Bat, I often fall off if I don't carry
speed through a jibe.  I had the Bic out the other day, as it was my
first time out this season and the water is cold.  The Bic is easy to
stay on top of.

I think my problem is that I'm not properly balancing out the forces
at work, and thus I have to use too much strength.  I don't understand
what keeps the rig upright if I move it forward or me aft.  Seems like
the farther I get from the mast, the less leverage I have and the more
difficult it is to keep it upright, or up anyway.

I have been experimenting with my foot position on the board but I
haven't learned anything yet.

Any tips?
Thanks,
-Joel Frahm

 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by NZL10 » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

what do you mean when you say you have trouble sailing without the track all
the way back?  does the board nosedive?  do you keep turing downwind?

some questions that i have: are your hands back on the boom?  if your hands
are still quite close to the mast (like the front hand is less than about a
forearms length from the mast), then you will have all sorts of problems,
like you will have problems moving back on the board, sailing downwind will
be harder, you will get tired very quickly

how is your sail set?  you may have your settings wrong on your
down/outhaul.  get an experianced sailor to have a look (and possibly a sail
on) your gear to make sure everything is set right.

one last point: try and keep your weight balanced between your feet.  the
reason you can't move back might be because you may have to much weight on
the back foot and this will throw the balance out.

i would highly recommend peter harts "turning point" video.  it helped me a
lot when i was going throught the stage you are at now

good luck and keep at it.  the best is yet to come!
NZL100  :-)

Quote:
> Hi, I started windsurfing last year, and I'm starting to notice that
> I'm improving that much these days.  I intend to take some lessons
> later this summer, but maybe I can get some quick tips in the
> meantime.  I have two boards, a large heavy Bic beginner board with a
> daggerboard and mast track, and a lighter, shorter Fanatic Bat (170l?)
> also with a daggerboard and mast track (and footstraps which I haven't
> used.  I weigh around 210 lbs (96kg.)  I usually sail in 7-15 mph wind
> with a 6.5m^2 sail (Gaastra 1x.)  I have smaller sails too.  I have
> used my 5.5m^2 in higher wind and had pretty much the same problems
> that I do in lighter wind with the larger sail.

> What I have noticed:

> I have trouble sailing without the mast all the way back or nearly so.

> I have trouble sailing downwind, part of that may be because the mast
> is all the way aft.

> I usually only feel comfortable with one foot forward of the mast or
> just aft of it.

>  I have trouble moving my weight back, so when the wind picks up the
> nose dives and water flows over the board.

> If I try to move back, it feels like I'm fighting something, like I
> could do it if I were stronger, but it seems to me that it shouldn't
> take that much strength.  I'm pretty strong (I can carry that Bic
> around by myself and it seems to weigh about as much as a hot water
> heater.)

> I'm comfortable moving around the board otherwise.  I have no problem
> tacking, and jibing (with the board almost stalled.)

> I don't use the Bic much, it's really unmanuverable and I can't carry
> any speed through a jibe.  The Bat, I often fall off if I don't carry
> speed through a jibe.  I had the Bic out the other day, as it was my
> first time out this season and the water is cold.  The Bic is easy to
> stay on top of.

> I think my problem is that I'm not properly balancing out the forces
> at work, and thus I have to use too much strength.  I don't understand
> what keeps the rig upright if I move it forward or me aft.  Seems like
> the farther I get from the mast, the less leverage I have and the more
> difficult it is to keep it upright, or up anyway.

> I have been experimenting with my foot position on the board but I
> haven't learned anything yet.

> Any tips?
> Thanks,
> -Joel Frahm


 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by Benjamin Kaufma » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Joel,

You could be having several different problems including bad rigging
so the sooner you can get an instructor to help out the better.
However, you asked for a few tips so let me just add ...

I didn't see you mention the word "harness" in your description.
To move back on the board you have to be powered up and the only way
to power up is to sheet in and the only way to really sheet in (for
more than a few seconds) is with the harness. Further more, you may be
strong but you don't just "hold" the sail you need to hang your weight
off of it and you need the harness to do this.  

Ben



Quote:
>Hi, I started windsurfing last year, and I'm starting to notice that
>I'm improving that much these days.  I intend to take some lessons
>later this summer, but maybe I can get some quick tips in the
>meantime.  I have two boards, a large heavy Bic beginner board with a
>daggerboard and mast track, and a lighter, shorter Fanatic Bat (170l?)
>also with a daggerboard and mast track (and footstraps which I haven't
>used.  I weigh around 210 lbs (96kg.)  I usually sail in 7-15 mph wind
>with a 6.5m^2 sail (Gaastra 1x.)  I have smaller sails too.  I have
>used my 5.5m^2 in higher wind and had pretty much the same problems
>that I do in lighter wind with the larger sail.

>What I have noticed:

>I have trouble sailing without the mast all the way back or nearly so.

>I have trouble sailing downwind, part of that may be because the mast
>is all the way aft.

>I usually only feel comfortable with one foot forward of the mast or
>just aft of it.

> I have trouble moving my weight back, so when the wind picks up the
>nose dives and water flows over the board.

>If I try to move back, it feels like I'm fighting something, like I
>could do it if I were stronger, but it seems to me that it shouldn't
>take that much strength.  I'm pretty strong (I can carry that Bic
>around by myself and it seems to weigh about as much as a hot water
>heater.)

>I'm comfortable moving around the board otherwise.  I have no problem
>tacking, and jibing (with the board almost stalled.)  

>I don't use the Bic much, it's really unmanuverable and I can't carry
>any speed through a jibe.  The Bat, I often fall off if I don't carry
>speed through a jibe.  I had the Bic out the other day, as it was my
>first time out this season and the water is cold.  The Bic is easy to
>stay on top of.

>I think my problem is that I'm not properly balancing out the forces
>at work, and thus I have to use too much strength.  I don't understand
>what keeps the rig upright if I move it forward or me aft.  Seems like
>the farther I get from the mast, the less leverage I have and the more
>difficult it is to keep it upright, or up anyway.

>I have been experimenting with my foot position on the board but I
>haven't learned anything yet.

>Any tips?
>Thanks,
>-Joel Frahm

--
Ben Kaufman

Do not send SPAM. I will send it back to your de-hacked ISP
with a letter of complaint. Section 301 does not apply because
you have been forewarned!
For all others, change the domain name to pobox

 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by Joel Fra » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>what do you mean when you say you have trouble sailing without the track all
>the way back?  does the board nosedive?  do you keep turing downwind?

I think with the mast forward it takes too much strength to keep it
balanced.

Quote:
>some questions that i have: are your hands back on the boom?  if your hands
>are still quite close to the mast (like the front hand is less than about a
>forearms length from the mast), then you will have all sorts of problems,
>like you will have problems moving back on the board, sailing downwind will
>be harder, you will get tired very quickly

This potentially may be my problem.  I'll experiment.

Quote:
>how is your sail set?  you may have your settings wrong on your
>down/outhaul.  get an experianced sailor to have a look (and possibly a sail
>on) your gear to make sure everything is set right.

Last time I was out I needed more downhaul but I think I remember
having the problem when properly rigged... I'm not sure it was as
noticeable though.  Hmm.

Quote:
>one last point: try and keep your weight balanced between your feet.  the
>reason you can't move back might be because you may have to much weight on
>the back foot and this will throw the balance out.

I end up with a lot of weight on my back foot trying to keep the nose
up.

Quote:

>i would highly recommend peter harts "turning point" video.  it helped me a
>lot when i was going throught the stage you are at now

I will look for the video.  Thanks for the tips!
-Joel.
 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by Joel Fra » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
>Joel,

>You could be having several different problems including bad rigging
>so the sooner you can get an instructor to help out the better.
>However, you asked for a few tips so let me just add ...

I plan to get some lessons in a few weeks.  I'm not sure they do them
when the water is this cold :)

Rigging may indeed be part of the problem, but I don't understand why.
If I don't have enough downhaul, how does that affect my ability to
sail?

Quote:
>I didn't see you mention the word "harness" in your description.
>To move back on the board you have to be powered up and the only way
>to power up is to sheet in and the only way to really sheet in (for
>more than a few seconds) is with the harness.

I'm not sure I'm ready for the harness yet but I can see how it would
make it easier to sail when fully powered.  I'll look into it.
Thanks for the tips.

-Joel Frahm

 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by Mark » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

A harness is an absolute must. It vastly increases your time on the water
and is much easier to use than you think. Get one now and see how quickly
you improve.

Mark

Quote:



>>Joel,

>>You could be having several different problems including bad rigging
>>so the sooner you can get an instructor to help out the better.
>>However, you asked for a few tips so let me just add ...

>I plan to get some lessons in a few weeks.  I'm not sure they do them
>when the water is this cold :)

>Rigging may indeed be part of the problem, but I don't understand why.
>If I don't have enough downhaul, how does that affect my ability to
>sail?

>>I didn't see you mention the word "harness" in your description.
>>To move back on the board you have to be powered up and the only way
>>to power up is to sheet in and the only way to really sheet in (for
>>more than a few seconds) is with the harness.

>I'm not sure I'm ready for the harness yet but I can see how it would
>make it easier to sail when fully powered.  I'll look into it.
>Thanks for the tips.

>-Joel Frahm

 
 
 

Looking for beginner tips

Post by anto » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

If you don't have enough downhaul the sail wont 'fall off'/twist/
dump power. This feels like your being pulled up and foreward and over
the bars, a very uneasy feeling which will make it hard to handle the
power and build boardspeed.

Harness is a must, will make your ability to handle the power much much
better. It will let you put a bunch of weight on your boom which creates
mastfoot pressure (essential).

I would keep your mast track in the middle.  Until you start to get the
other stuff figured out.



Quote:
> Hi, I started windsurfing last year, and I'm starting to notice that
> I'm improving that much these days.  I intend to take some lessons
> later this summer, but maybe I can get some quick tips in the
> meantime.  I have two boards, a large heavy Bic beginner board with a
> daggerboard and mast track, and a lighter, shorter Fanatic Bat (170l?)
> also with a daggerboard and mast track (and footstraps which I haven't
> used.  I weigh around 210 lbs (96kg.)  I usually sail in 7-15 mph wind
> with a 6.5m^2 sail (Gaastra 1x.)  I have smaller sails too.  I have
> used my 5.5m^2 in higher wind and had pretty much the same problems
> that I do in lighter wind with the larger sail.

> What I have noticed:

> I have trouble sailing without the mast all the way back or nearly so.

> I have trouble sailing downwind, part of that may be because the mast
> is all the way aft.

> I usually only feel comfortable with one foot forward of the mast or
> just aft of it.

>  I have trouble moving my weight back, so when the wind picks up the
> nose dives and water flows over the board.

> If I try to move back, it feels like I'm fighting something, like I
> could do it if I were stronger, but it seems to me that it shouldn't
> take that much strength.  I'm pretty strong (I can carry that Bic
> around by myself and it seems to weigh about as much as a hot water
> heater.)

> I'm comfortable moving around the board otherwise.  I have no problem
> tacking, and jibing (with the board almost stalled.)

> I don't use the Bic much, it's really unmanuverable and I can't carry
> any speed through a jibe.  The Bat, I often fall off if I don't carry
> speed through a jibe.  I had the Bic out the other day, as it was my
> first time out this season and the water is cold.  The Bic is easy to
> stay on top of.

> I think my problem is that I'm not properly balancing out the forces
> at work, and thus I have to use too much strength.  I don't understand
> what keeps the rig upright if I move it forward or me aft.  Seems like
> the farther I get from the mast, the less leverage I have and the more
> difficult it is to keep it upright, or up anyway.

> I have been experimenting with my foot position on the board but I
> haven't learned anything yet.

> Any tips?
> Thanks,
> -Joel Frahm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.