Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Tom - Chicag » Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:55:35


I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has
windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
available.

TIA - Tom - Chicago

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Sharkphobi » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:00:43


Quote:
> I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has
> windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> available.

> TIA - Tom - Chicago

Hi Tom,

I was in Playa del Carmen from the 6th of march for a week...

I used freeride gear available at the Riu Yucatan hotel... nothing
special but still ok.
Conditions are not great but still ... 120lt board and 7.0 sail is
what I used the most...
only two days where exceptional and I used 4.7 and 100lt borrowed from
a local guy.
Cancun area has probably more surfers, I saw few kiters as well from
the distance. keep well away from them! :o)

Best condition are with Northerly winds ...told by a local surfer.

not real a windsurf place but still ...there is water...there is wind
from time to time...so !

for sure is hot and sunny !

aloha from Italy (now)!

Enrico ISW-322
www.isw-windsurf.it

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by pacspee » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:03:18

Funny thing about Cancun...everybody says theres little in the way of
windsurfing, but every time I see a picture of the place, its full on
white caps, palm trees trailing over sideways...and nobody out.

I love sailing in that kind of place, it reminds you how truly special
it is to be able to windsurf, or even know what it is.

My guess: somebody will have gear, and it will be outdated moldy old
***sitting in some maintenance shed for the last 15 years.

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by ALP » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:07:51


Quote:

> > I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has
> > windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> > available.

> > TIA - Tom - Chicago

> Hi Tom,

> I was in Playa del Carmen from the 6th of march for a week...

> I used freeride gear available at the Riu Yucatan hotel... nothing
> special but still ok.
> Conditions are not great but still ... 120lt board and 7.0 sail is
> what I used the most...
> only two days where exceptional and I used 4.7 and 100lt borrowed from
> a local guy.
> Cancun area has probably more surfers, I saw few kiters as well from
> the distance. keep well away from them! :o)

> Best condition are with Northerly winds ...told by a local surfer.

> not real a windsurf place but still ...there is water...there is wind
> from time to time...so !

> for sure is hot and sunny !

> aloha from Italy (now)!

> Enrico ISW-322www.isw-windsurf.it

Rui is the company that has windsurfers in their ads..the gear is 100
years old..I complained twice and got no reply from the ad dept.
 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Sharkphobi » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:16:21


Quote:


> > > I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has
> > > windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> > > available.

> > > TIA - Tom - Chicago

> > Hi Tom,

> > I was in Playa del Carmen from the 6th of march for a week...

> > I used freeride gear available at the Riu Yucatan hotel... nothing
> > special but still ok.
> > Conditions are not great but still ... 120lt board and 7.0 sail is
> > what I used the most...
> > only two days where exceptional and I used 4.7 and 100lt borrowed from
> > a local guy.
> > Cancun area has probably more surfers, I saw few kiters as well from
> > the distance. keep well away from them! :o)

> > Best condition are with Northerly winds ...told by a local surfer.

> > not real a windsurf place but still ...there is water...there is wind
> > from time to time...so !

> > for sure is hot and sunny !

> > aloha from Italy (now)!

> > Enrico ISW-322www.isw-windsurf.it

> Rui is the company that has windsurfers in their ads..the gear is 100
> years old..I complained twice and got no reply from the ad dept.- Hide quoted text -

it's not a windsurfer's destination ....it's an holiday place with
very little sport equipment overall...
I would not suggest to go there for a windsurf holiday for sure...but
there are chances to find wind and the only place where there is some
kind of gear is in those big and very disorganized resorts ...

Carlos, the "windsurf instructor" is a nice local guy anyway!

Enrico
p.s.: very few rigs had harness lines ... very few boards had
straps... so bring your own ! ....and this should say it all!  ;o)

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Gerr » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 04:04:35

Hi Tom - Gerry from Evanston here.  I was there 2 years ago and found
rentals in cancun at a place called tabla vela.  It was run by a
husband and wife couple.  The gear was OK - not great but OK.  They
were really into the business - a big part of seemed to be providing
storage as there was lots of private gear there.  I found out about it
through recdot - there were instructions to the exact mile marker on
the main drag out to the hotel strip, though the driveway was easy to
miss.  You should be able to search it up.

I am not sure if they made it through the hurricane, though . . . .

There is also a guy who works at a surf shop in cancun (dog or dawg in
the name, I think), ex-pat named Tom, who ran a litte rental
operation out of a village south of Cancun called Puerto Morales.
Beautiful spot, and he had nice gear - I rode a formula board and
recent 8.5.  Let me know if you want more info.  Problem was, you
never knew when it would be open.

Cheers,
Gerry

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by wtrplne » Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:42:16


Quote:
> Funny thing about Cancun...everybody says theres little in the way of
> windsurfing, but every time I see a picture of the place, its full on
> white caps, palm trees trailing over sideways...and nobody out.

> I love sailing in that kind of place, it reminds you how truly special
> it is to be able to windsurf, or even know what it is.

> My guess: somebody will have gear, and it will be outdated moldy old
> ***sitting in some maintenance shed for the last 15 years.

Winter is the most dependable time for wind in Cancun, though I had a week
there in May once that it blew 20-25 knots, day and night.  Most solid wind
I've ever seen.  It was like leaning against a wall.  Other times I was
there it was 'variable'.  The Club Med has (or had, I suppose they still do)
windsurf gear.  It was all decent gear when it was new but suffers from lots
of use/abuse.  Last I checked they had 'day use' of the sports facilities if
you aren't staying with them.  Still, if you are going to Cancun for the
windsurfing, there are better choices, say Aruba, Bonaire, Margarita, etc.

Alan

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Fabio Bernardin » Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:22:21

I was in Cancun in 1995 and at the time there was a Bic Center there
(not in Playa del Carmen).  A salesman in a sports shop told me he
windsurfed and the windy month was February.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:42:16 -0700, "wtrplnet"

Quote:



>> Funny thing about Cancun...everybody says theres little in the way of
>> windsurfing, but every time I see a picture of the place, its full on
>> white caps, palm trees trailing over sideways...and nobody out.

--
Fabio Pereira Bernardino
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
-- Remove SPAM before replying
 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by tenA » Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:43:57

Hi Fabio! saw your post and wanted to say hello, have not sailed at
the resorts in Cancun before, but just back from jamaica and did sail
the resort gear there, agree with folks, the gear was pretty lame, but
it was soooo nice to get out there in WARM water and bathing suit only
for a change - hope you do get some TOW while you're there - when ya
coming to San Francisco for a visit?? Take care and happy travels -
Adrienne

On Apr 8, 10:22 pm, Fabio Bernardino

Quote:

> I was in Cancun in 1995 and at the time there was a Bic Center there
> (not in Playa del Carmen).  A salesman in a sports shop told me he
> windsurfed and the windy month was February.

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:42:16 -0700, "wtrplnet"




> >> Funny thing about Cancun...everybody says theres little in the way of
> >> windsurfing, but every time I see a picture of the place, its full on
> >> white caps, palm trees trailing over sideways...and nobody out.

> --
> Fabio Pereira Bernardino
> Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
> -- Remove SPAM before replying

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Sharkphobi » Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:49:04


Quote:
> I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has
> windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> available.

> TIA - Tom - Chicago

Playa del Carmen - 7 March 07 ...
http://www.isw-windsurf.info/images/comprofiler/plug_profilegallery/6...

gear of Riu Yucatan ...

;o)

enjoy the holiday!

Sharkphobia

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by shred.. » Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:03:23


Quote:

> > I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has

looks like a vintage 1984 sail in that photo!
Quote:
> > windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> > available.

> > TIA - Tom - Chicago

> Playa del Carmen - 7 March 07 ...http://www.isw-windsurf.info/images/comprofiler/plug_profilegallery/6...

> gear of Riu Yucatan ...

> ;o)

> enjoy the holiday!

> Sharkphobia

 
 
 

Windsurfing Cancun/Playa Del Carmen

Post by Tom - Chicag » Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:05:53

Just got back from Akumal/Playa.

Was a beautiful week - and it blew.  Wind was 15 to 25 kts the entire
week!

No sailing to be had.  One guy had gear in Playa Del Carmen - but even
he was apologetic about it.

I'm not disappointed - b/c I didn't plan on sailing.  OTOH there was a
fair amount of kiting going on.

Tom - Chicago


Quote:

> > > I don't have high hopes, but thought I would ask if anyone has

> looks like a vintage 1984 sail in that photo!

> > > windsurfed in these areas of Mexico - and if there is gear/rental
> > > available.

> > > TIA - Tom - Chicago

> > Playa del Carmen - 7 March 07 ...http://www.isw-windsurf.info/images/comprofiler/plug_profilegallery/6...

> > gear of Riu Yucatan ...

> > ;o)

> > enjoy the holiday!

> > Sharkphobia