Windsurfing around New Orleans

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:10:10


I'll be in New Orleans end of June, and will have a weekend off (OMG!).
Any on-the-beach WS rentals (preferably with waves or at least b&j)
within driving distance? I'd prefer to get outta town Friday night and
come back Sunday, so it can be as far as 3-4hrs drive.

Is there any chance for wind end of June? If no hurricanes roll in, that
is...

Thx!
Peter

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Wind Proble » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:11:15

On the beach, nope, nothing like that.  Probably the nearest rental is
Destin, FL, which is pretty far (at least 4 hours).  The chances of wind on
the gulf coast that time of year is not great.  You will get a lot of
10-12kt seabreezes, but not much more.


Quote:
> I'll be in New Orleans end of June, and will have a weekend off (OMG!).
> Any on-the-beach WS rentals (preferably with waves or at least b&j) within
> driving distance? I'd prefer to get outta town Friday night and come back
> Sunday, so it can be as far as 3-4hrs drive.

> Is there any chance for wind end of June? If no hurricanes roll in, that
> is...

> Thx!
> Peter


 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:48:57

Quote:
> On the beach, nope, nothing like that.  Probably the nearest rental is
> Destin, FL, which is pretty far (at least 4 hours).  The chances of wind on
> the gulf coast that time of year is not great.  You will get a lot of
> 10-12kt seabreezes, but not much more.

Well, that kinda beats sitting in downtown New Orleans anyway. And Bird
Island seems like at least 6hrs away. So is Destin, FL my only choice?
Do they have a webpage or something?

Thx!
Peter

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:26:15



Quote:
>> On the beach, nope, nothing like that.  Probably the nearest rental is
>> Destin, FL, which is pretty far (at least 4 hours).  The chances of wind on
>> the gulf coast that time of year is not great.  You will get a lot of
>> 10-12kt seabreezes, but not much more.

>Well, that kinda beats sitting in downtown New Orleans anyway. And Bird
>Island seems like at least 6hrs away. So is Destin, FL my only choice?
>Do they have a webpage or something?

>Thx!
>Peter

Peter, try http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/
 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:53:20

Quote:
>>> On the beach, nope, nothing like that.  Probably the nearest rental is
>>> Destin, FL, which is pretty far (at least 4 hours).  The chances of wind on
>>> the gulf coast that time of year is not great.  You will get a lot of
>>> 10-12kt seabreezes, but not much more.
>> Well, that kinda beats sitting in downtown New Orleans anyway. And Bird
>> Island seems like at least 6hrs away. So is Destin, FL my only choice?
>> Do they have a webpage or something?

> Peter, try http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/

Thx, looks like a decent shop but they dont rent on the beach, and I'll
be on rental car.

Does Rogue Wave (in Destin, FL) have a website or email address? Couldnt
find them on the web

Peter

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:59:05



Quote:
>Thx, looks like a decent shop but they dont rent on the beach, and I'll
>be on rental car.

>Does Rogue Wave (in Destin, FL) have a website or email address? Couldnt
>find them on the web

>Peter

The guy who owns Liquid worked for Jack Stringfellow/Rogue, then
bought him out. I think Jack used to do rentals on the beach, you
might try to find him. I checked Anywho.com in all of Florida and Jack
must be unlisted. :(

There used to be a Mobile Bay Windsurfing Association and a call to
them might be fruitful. Try (334) 990-0007, but no promises.

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:41:30



Peter, try this too:
Bayside Windsurfing - Panama City  850-785-5312

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:56:14

Quote:
>> Thx, looks like a decent shop but they dont rent on the beach, and I'll
>> be on rental car.

>> Does Rogue Wave (in Destin, FL) have a website or email address? Couldnt
>> find them on the web

> The guy who owns Liquid worked for Jack Stringfellow/Rogue, then
> bought him out. I think Jack used to do rentals on the beach, you
> might try to find him. I checked Anywho.com in all of Florida and Jack
> must be unlisted. :(

> There used to be a Mobile Bay Windsurfing Association and a call to
> them might be fruitful. Try (334) 990-0007, but no promises.

Thx a lot m8! I'll call around!

Peter

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:38:56

Peter, I just called http://hydrotherapywindsurfing.com/ in Panama
City to inquire about rentals. They said they had had lots of people
claiming they could sail, they rented them a board, and the people did
not know a tack from a jibe and damaged the gear. They said they might
rent, but it would have to begin as a lesson and once they believed
you know how to sail, they would leave you to have fun. They are going
out of business and would need advance notice if you are interested.

I know this sounds uncool, but they seemed like really nice people and
I know the husband (Larry Couch) has been around windsurfing for
years.

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:08:27

Quote:
> Peter, I just called http://hydrotherapywindsurfing.com/ in Panama
> City to inquire about rentals. They said they had had lots of people
> claiming they could sail, they rented them a board, and the people did
> not know a tack from a jibe and damaged the gear. They said they might
> rent, but it would have to begin as a lesson and once they believed
> you know how to sail, they would leave you to have fun. They are going
> out of business and would need advance notice if you are interested.

> I know this sounds uncool, but they seemed like really nice people and
> I know the husband (Larry Couch) has been around windsurfing for
> years.

Thanks for the tip! I just might go for it... my first choice would be
Mobile though since it's closest to New Orleans and hotel rooms cost 50%
less than in Florida. Mobile Bay Windsurfing Assoc website is down, and
I havent been able to reach their phone # yet. It does not, however,
seem like there are any shops in Mobile...

Peter

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:11:34



Quote:
>Thanks for the tip! I just might go for it... my first choice would be
>Mobile though since it's closest to New Orleans and hotel rooms cost 50%
>less than in Florida. Mobile Bay Windsurfing Assoc website is down, and
>I havent been able to reach their phone # yet. It does not, however,
>seem like there are any shops in Mobile...

>Peter

That sucks, there is surely a good community of sailors down there. I
hope things work out.
 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by wind.s » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:03:42



Peter, a buddy just called and is trading some gear with a shop I knew
nothing about: http://gulfportwindsurfing.com/ He said they might do
rentals.

 
 
 

Windsurfing around New Orleans

Post by Pete » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 03:53:25

Quote:
> Peter, a buddy just called and is trading some gear with a shop I knew
> nothing about: http://gulfportwindsurfing.com/ He said they might do
> rentals.

Dude, you're a goldmine of local info! :)

Sent them email... we'll see.

Thanks!
Peter