Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Dave Metcal » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00


Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or recommendations?
How is the wind and swell in early May?
Any Hotel recommendations?

I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

Thanks,

Dave

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Drew » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or recommendations?
> How is the wind and swell in early May?
> Any Hotel recommendations?

> I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> Thanks,

> Dave

Not sure about conditions in May, but I can recommend sailing with the
Vela centre (Neil Pryde/Mistral/F2 latest boards --- at least that was
their situation as of summer '98). The staff there were very helpful and
friendly. The range of gear goes from smallest prod wave boards to course
race boards and long boards. They will also hire surf boards and take you
to decent surf breaks as organised tours if you so wish.

Cabarete .... love it!

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Chris Hal » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I was in the DR for a week over New Year's and absolutely loved Cabarete.
Not only is the beach beautiful but most people seemed to be young:  this is
not a Resort beach with hundreds of seniors doing water aerobics.

Although I do not know about conditions in May I can tell you that every day
that I was there, there was at least 3 or 4 hours of solid wind and most
people seemed to be planing.  I didn't see many people out on the reef in
the waves.

I took individual lessons from Bic and was very happy with them.  My
instructor, Steffan, really helped me past my difficulties gybing and
getting the right psotion in the harness to use foot straps.  Bic was also
great because you simply had to request the board and sail that you wanted
and someone got it ready and down to the water for you.

Chris


Quote:
> Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or recommendations?
> How is the wind and swell in early May?
> Any Hotel recommendations?

> I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> Thanks,

> Dave


 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Chris Hal » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

My father is 50 and he is not a senior citizen.

I must apologize though because on further recollection I should not have
said senior citizen at all.  In fact, as I was shakily learning to gybe for
the first time, an older (at least 60s) man whizzed by me so fast I barely
saw him, then he did the most graceful tack I've ever seen and was back into
his harness before I could blink.

The "senior citizen" I meant is the type of individual, young or old, who
shuts themselves into these barbed wire resort compunds and sit on the beach
whining about the stupidity of the Native Dominican waiter who dared to
forget a serviette when he served them!  Cabarete is a wonderful place
because it is an incredible beach where most people's goal is to have fun,
play some vball with anyone who is game (Dominican or not).

I'm sorry again!


Quote:
> Chris-
>   Hey, watch what you say there young fella!   8-)
>   Some of us "older" people (don't know exactly when "seniors" kicks
> in...) like to windsurf a lot too! I'm glad you clarified your remark a
> bit with the water aerobics, but it did make me stop and wonder what you
> would have thought if there had been a bunch of people over 50
> windsurfing and how that would have affected your rating of Cabarete.
>   If you windsurf, you don't get "older". It's a state of mind.
> "Growing older but not up" kind of thing. Isn't that Jimmy Buffett?
>  Ellen


> > I was in the DR for a week over New Year's and absolutely loved
Cabarete.
> > Not only is the beach beautiful but most people seemed to be young:
this is
> > not a Resort beach with hundreds of seniors doing water aerobics.

> > Although I do not know about conditions in May I can tell you that every
day
> > that I was there, there was at least 3 or 4 hours of solid wind and most
> > people seemed to be planing.  I didn't see many people out on the reef
in
> > the waves.

> > I took individual lessons from Bic and was very happy with them.  My
> > instructor, Steffan, really helped me past my difficulties gybing and
> > getting the right psotion in the harness to use foot straps.  Bic was
also
> > great because you simply had to request the board and sail that you
wanted
> > and someone got it ready and down to the water for you.

> > Chris



> > > Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or
recommendations?
> > > How is the wind and swell in early May?
> > > Any Hotel recommendations?

> > > I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> > > Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Dave

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Ellen Falle » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Chris-
  Hey, watch what you say there young fella!   8-)
  Some of us "older" people (don't know exactly when "seniors" kicks
in...) like to windsurf a lot too! I'm glad you clarified your remark a
bit with the water aerobics, but it did make me stop and wonder what you
would have thought if there had been a bunch of people over 50
windsurfing and how that would have affected your rating of Cabarete.
  If you windsurf, you don't get "older". It's a state of mind.
"Growing older but not up" kind of thing. Isn't that Jimmy Buffett?
 Ellen
Quote:

> I was in the DR for a week over New Year's and absolutely loved Cabarete.
> Not only is the beach beautiful but most people seemed to be young:  this is
> not a Resort beach with hundreds of seniors doing water aerobics.

> Although I do not know about conditions in May I can tell you that every day
> that I was there, there was at least 3 or 4 hours of solid wind and most
> people seemed to be planing.  I didn't see many people out on the reef in
> the waves.

> I took individual lessons from Bic and was very happy with them.  My
> instructor, Steffan, really helped me past my difficulties gybing and
> getting the right psotion in the harness to use foot straps.  Bic was also
> great because you simply had to request the board and sail that you wanted
> and someone got it ready and down to the water for you.

> Chris



> > Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or recommendations?
> > How is the wind and swell in early May?
> > Any Hotel recommendations?

> > I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> > Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> > Thanks,

> > Dave

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Ellen Falle » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Chris,
  I hope you didn't take my post too heavily/harshly! I know what you
mean about the "beach potatoes"  but you won't have to worry about them
once you get those gybes going. Then you can go out and sail with the
forever young people of all ages who are ripping around off the beach.
It isn't the date on your driver's license that counts...
  So, have you got your father windsurfing yet?
Ellen
Quote:

> My father is 50 and he is not a senior citizen.

> I must apologize though because on further recollection I should not have
> said senior citizen at all.  In fact, as I was shakily learning to gybe for
> the first time, an older (at least 60s) man whizzed by me so fast I barely
> saw him, then he did the most graceful tack I've ever seen and was back into
> his harness before I could blink.

> The "senior citizen" I meant is the type of individual, young or old, who
> shuts themselves into these barbed wire resort compunds and sit on the beach
> whining about the stupidity of the Native Dominican waiter who dared to
> forget a serviette when he served them!  Cabarete is a wonderful place
> because it is an incredible beach where most people's goal is to have fun,
> play some vball with anyone who is game (Dominican or not).

> I'm sorry again!



> > Chris-
> >   Hey, watch what you say there young fella!   8-)
> >   Some of us "older" people (don't know exactly when "seniors" kicks
> > in...) like to windsurf a lot too! I'm glad you clarified your remark a
> > bit with the water aerobics, but it did make me stop and wonder what you
> > would have thought if there had been a bunch of people over 50
> > windsurfing and how that would have affected your rating of Cabarete.
> >   If you windsurf, you don't get "older". It's a state of mind.
> > "Growing older but not up" kind of thing. Isn't that Jimmy Buffett?
> >  Ellen


> > > I was in the DR for a week over New Year's and absolutely loved
> Cabarete.
> > > Not only is the beach beautiful but most people seemed to be young:
> this is
> > > not a Resort beach with hundreds of seniors doing water aerobics.

> > > Although I do not know about conditions in May I can tell you that every
> day
> > > that I was there, there was at least 3 or 4 hours of solid wind and most
> > > people seemed to be planing.  I didn't see many people out on the reef
> in
> > > the waves.

> > > I took individual lessons from Bic and was very happy with them.  My
> > > instructor, Steffan, really helped me past my difficulties gybing and
> > > getting the right psotion in the harness to use foot straps.  Bic was
> also
> > > great because you simply had to request the board and sail that you
> wanted
> > > and someone got it ready and down to the water for you.

> > > Chris



> > > > Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or
> recommendations?
> > > > How is the wind and swell in early May?
> > > > Any Hotel recommendations?

> > > > I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> > > > Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> > > > Thanks,

> > > > Dave

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by Dave Metcal » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hey!!!!

We are getting off the subject.

Where did you stay in Cabarete?
Which hotel, condo or villa would you recommend?
Did you make any reservations in advance?
What bars did you like?
Do you know what the wind is like in May?
Was there any snorkling or diving near by?
Did you bring a shorty wetsuit or harness or anything?
How about transportation.  Where did you fly into, Puerto Plata?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  Thanks in advance for any more info.
Looking forward to the trip.

Dave

Quote:

> Chris,
>   I hope you didn't take my post too heavily/harshly! I know what you
> mean about the "beach potatoes"  but you won't have to worry about them
> once you get those gybes going. Then you can go out and sail with the
> forever young people of all ages who are ripping around off the beach.
> It isn't the date on your driver's license that counts...
>   So, have you got your father windsurfing yet?
> Ellen


> > My father is 50 and he is not a senior citizen.

> > I must apologize though because on further recollection I should not have
> > said senior citizen at all.  In fact, as I was shakily learning to gybe for
> > the first time, an older (at least 60s) man whizzed by me so fast I barely
> > saw him, then he did the most graceful tack I've ever seen and was back into
> > his harness before I could blink.

> > The "senior citizen" I meant is the type of individual, young or old, who
> > shuts themselves into these barbed wire resort compunds and sit on the beach
> > whining about the stupidity of the Native Dominican waiter who dared to
> > forget a serviette when he served them!  Cabarete is a wonderful place
> > because it is an incredible beach where most people's goal is to have fun,
> > play some vball with anyone who is game (Dominican or not).

> > I'm sorry again!



> > > Chris-
> > >   Hey, watch what you say there young fella!   8-)
> > >   Some of us "older" people (don't know exactly when "seniors" kicks
> > > in...) like to windsurf a lot too! I'm glad you clarified your remark a
> > > bit with the water aerobics, but it did make me stop and wonder what you
> > > would have thought if there had been a bunch of people over 50
> > > windsurfing and how that would have affected your rating of Cabarete.
> > >   If you windsurf, you don't get "older". It's a state of mind.
> > > "Growing older but not up" kind of thing. Isn't that Jimmy Buffett?
> > >  Ellen


> > > > I was in the DR for a week over New Year's and absolutely loved
> > Cabarete.
> > > > Not only is the beach beautiful but most people seemed to be young:
> > this is
> > > > not a Resort beach with hundreds of seniors doing water aerobics.

> > > > Although I do not know about conditions in May I can tell you that every
> > day
> > > > that I was there, there was at least 3 or 4 hours of solid wind and most
> > > > people seemed to be planing.  I didn't see many people out on the reef
> > in
> > > > the waves.

> > > > I took individual lessons from Bic and was very happy with them.  My
> > > > instructor, Steffan, really helped me past my difficulties gybing and
> > > > getting the right psotion in the harness to use foot straps.  Bic was
> > also
> > > > great because you simply had to request the board and sail that you
> > wanted
> > > > and someone got it ready and down to the water for you.

> > > > Chris



> > > > > Anybody visit Cabarete lately have any descriptions or
> > recommendations?
> > > > > How is the wind and swell in early May?
> > > > > Any Hotel recommendations?

> > > > > I am planning a Caribbean honeymoon and will be there in early May.
> > > > > Looking for a fun place for windsurf, surf, and other activities.

> > > > > Thanks,

> > > > > Dave

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by jfee.. » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Where did you stay in Cabarete?
> Which hotel, condo or villa would you recommend?

I have been there 3 times in march. I always stay at the Palm Beach Condos.
It's a pretty nice place, and it's great for my kids.

Quote:
> Did you make any reservations in advance?

Yes. There are lots of hotels so you would probably find a bed,
but it may not be where you would like to be.

as far as equipment goes, YOU NEED A RESERVATION. I have seen many
people turned away. On one trip I called the Vela office in California
and inquired about equipment, they told me there was plenty of availability
and I didn't make a reservation. When I got there it turned out that they
were full. Luckily a friend had made a reservation for me without my knowledge.

Quote:
> What bars did you like?

I go out a lot for dinner, but not so much for nightlife.

Quote:
> Do you know what the wind is like in May?

no, but i think that the general pattern for the spring is ~3 to 5
good days per week. summer is supposed to be more consistent.

i keep a log of gear that i use when i am there, it is at

http://pweb.netcom.com/~jfeehan/cabarete.htm

Quote:
> Was there any snorkling or diving near by?

Cabarete bay itself doesn't look so good for snorkeling. Although
the water is blue and seems pretty clean, visibility isn't that great.
Remember that Cabarete is an Atlantic facing Bay, it is on the windward
side of the island. The waves stir up the sediment. Also, I've been told
that the reef across the mouth of the bay is dead, probably a result
of high sedimentation rates associated with agriculture and development.

I've heard that Sousua, about 10 km west of Cabarete, has very good snorkeling
and diving.

Quote:
> Did you bring a shorty wetsuit or harness or anything?

You don't generally need a shorty in march. I sometimes use a 1 mil. neoprene
short/shirt outfit. Plenty of people sail with just a bathing suit. Once
when it was overcast/rainy the sailing was pretty good but the air was cold
and I wore my shorty.

bring your harness.

Quote:
> How about transportation.  Where did you fly into, Puerto Plata?

I ahve always flown to Puerta Plata. Cabarete is about 20 km east of
the airport. I just get a taxi - about $20 US.

Quote:
> Sorry for the barrage

jeff feehan

of questions.  Thanks in advance for any more info.

Quote:
> Looking forward to the trip.

 
 
 

Dominican Republic, Cabarete?

Post by julius4.. » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hispaniola.com has just about everything you might want to know about
Cabarete. Go to http://www.hispaniola.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.