Equipment & Salt Water

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by J N » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Does salt water eat at your equipment? Just curious to know if I should
rinse it off after I'm done. Thanks.
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Gary Woo » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Salt will corrode aluminum over time.  Rinse aluminum booms, bases, etc
well after using, or before storing for a period of time.
Quote:

> Does salt water eat at your equipment? Just curious to know if I should
> rinse it off after I'm done. Thanks.


 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Den Fo » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Most of your kit will be ok; but watch out for the dreaded dissimilar metal
corrosion!!  (AKA Electrolysis)  You will find this corrosion in all the
places where different metals come into contact; boom to boom end, or
locating pins in boom tube, fin bolt to fin barrel nut or nut plate, etc
etc.  I spray all my metal bits from time to time with silicon spray.  I
doubt very much if it actually slows down corrosion, but it makes me feel as
if I at least tried.  The only way to stop this corrosion, apart from
keeping it bone dry, is to keep the dissimilar metals apart using a jointing
compound.........but then you'd never get it apart.  Let's face it.......if
you go in the water, you're going to rust.

Den


Quote:
> Does salt water eat at your equipment? Just curious to know if I should
> rinse it off after I'm done. Thanks.


 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Alan Ballo » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The short answer is an old US Navy saying- "Salt water and a sailor will
f**k up anything!"

 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Brian Collis US+ » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
> Most of your kit will be ok; but watch out for the dreaded dissimilar
metal
> corrosion!!  (AKA Electrolysis)

wonder if anyone's tried sticking some zinc in a boom to counteract..

Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Glenn Woode » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

>Does salt water eat at your equipment? Just curious to know if I should
>rinse it off after I'm done. Thanks.

I do not rinse and the only problem I ever had was with an old aluminum mast
that already had a lifetime of use on it. I keep my aluminum booms about two
years max now.
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Glenn Woode » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

>wonder if anyone's tried sticking some zinc in a boom to counteract..

Might work for those who like to keep their gear forever. Not a good idea for
many reasons, other than corrosion.
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Dave » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Mark, I must say that it is surprising to find such sarcasm from one residing in the
Bronx.  Now go back to your TV set, the Yankees are threatening.

Dave in C***te.

Quote:

> JN,
> Salt water is the best thing next to sliced bread.  Don't rinse it, revel in
> it!!!
> Salt water acts as a preservative for your sails, wetsuit and all equipment
> except maybe aluminum (so I've heard).  And, hey, you don't need those
> aluminum parts for more than 2 years, if you condescend to invest in
> aluminum in the first place.   Get with carbon and the 21st century!
> Salt water is a good conditioner for your hair, too, and is helpful, when
> ingested, to retain water in your body, replenishing your muscle's
> electrolytes after a long day of reaching, bump 'n jump or wavesailing.  You
> can stay out for countless hours without having to return to the beach due
> to the rejuvenating properties of salt water.
> Beware of fresh water, however.  Rinse ALL your equipment after venturing
> near a fresh water venue, OR if your equipment has been rained on, lest it
> become mildewy or develop an off-odor.  Wear noseplugs when sailing on fresh
> water - if you fall in and let any in your nasal passages, you might get
> sinus ache.
> A word to the wise is sufficient, ;-)
> Mark H.
> The Bronx

 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Mark H » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:20:28

JN,
Salt water is the best thing next to sliced bread.  Don't rinse it, revel in
it!!!
Salt water acts as a preservative for your sails, wetsuit and all equipment
except maybe aluminum (so I've heard).  And, hey, you don't need those
aluminum parts for more than 2 years, if you condescend to invest in
aluminum in the first place.   Get with carbon and the 21st century!
Salt water is a good conditioner for your hair, too, and is helpful, when
ingested, to retain water in your body, replenishing your muscle's
electrolytes after a long day of reaching, bump 'n jump or wavesailing.  You
can stay out for countless hours without having to return to the beach due
to the rejuvenating properties of salt water.
Beware of fresh water, however.  Rinse ALL your equipment after venturing
near a fresh water venue, OR if your equipment has been rained on, lest it
become mildewy or develop an off-odor.  Wear noseplugs when sailing on fresh
water - if you fall in and let any in your nasal passages, you might get
sinus ache.
A word to the wise is sufficient, ;-)
Mark H.
The Bronx
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Glenn Woode » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:

>JN,
>Salt water is the best thing next to sliced bread.  Don't rinse it, revel in
>it!!!

There is a lot of truth in this post actually.
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Ken McCullag » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>Beware of fresh water, however.  Rinse ALL your equipment after venturing
>near a fresh water venue, OR if your equipment has been rained on, lest it
>become mildewy or develop an off-odor.

And with what do you propose we rinse the kit with? Unfortunately I don't
have a "salty water" tap in my house :o( Jeez us Paddys are really
backwards.....!
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Glenn Woode » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00


says...

Quote:

>>Beware of fresh water, however.  Rinse ALL your equipment after venturing
>>near a fresh water venue, OR if your equipment has been rained on, lest it
>>become mildewy or develop an off-odor.

>And with what do you propose we rinse the kit with? Unfortunately I don't
>have a "salty water" tap in my house :o( Jeez us Paddys are really
>backwards.....!

What he's referring to is the *** organisms that flourish in fresh water.
The problem with fresh water is that it's NOT very fresh. But once you do rinse
it in real fresh water, let it all dry before storage or else the mildew might
start.
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Mark H » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:35:37

Quote:

> Mark, I must say that it is surprising to find such sarcasm from one
residing in the
> Bronx.  Now go back to your TV set, the Yankees are threatening.

> Dave in C***te.

Hey Dave, man,
Sarcasm?  Moi?
Lemme look at my post again.  Hmmm, looks like just a lot of truth to me.
So, what is it?  Is it my "tone?"  How can this be? Have I been reading too
much Tom James?
Or could it be...no...it can't be...am I....am I...becoming a (gasp) Noo
Yawka?  Omagawd, what next?!  Tell me it isn't so, Dave...tell me I'm
not...tell me I'm not... gonna start liking the...the...Knicks!!!  Blechk!
No way!!  It's impossible.  The Knicks?  I can barely type the word.  This
can't be happening.  1st, sarcasm, then...the Knicks.  It's like Reefer
Madness.
I can hardly contemplate how my life has gone.  Schooom.  What was
that?...That was your life, mate...Oh.  That was quick.  Do I get
another?...Sorry, mate, that was your lot.
I mean, the Yankees are one thing.  They've never been threatening - that's
just prejudice towards The Bronx.  They're just a bunch of nice boys who
play well together.
That's what it is, just prejudice towards The Bronx.  That Fort Apache
thing.  Or maybe it is too much Tom James.  But, not sarcasm.  And certainly
can't ever be the Knicks.
BTW, what were you doing away from your TV?
Mark H.
Da Bronx
 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Vaughan Sander » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

--
Jamie

Quote:
> >Beware of fresh water, however.  Rinse ALL your equipment after venturing
> >near a fresh water venue, OR if your equipment has been rained on, lest
it
> >become mildewy or develop an off-odor.

> And with what do you propose we rinse the kit with? Unfortunately I don't
> have a "salty water" tap in my house :o( Jeez us Paddys are really
> backwards.....!

Guinness might work :-))

Jamie

Jamie Sanders
Chalkwell Wimdsurfing Club
http://freespace.***.net/ken.rosier/cwc.htm

http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

Equipment & Salt Water

Post by Dave » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hey Mark.

I guess I misread you.  Not knowing that you are a transplant Bronxite contributed to my
incorrect interpretation.  At the least, will you admit to being "over the top"?  Also, I
seem to remember you starting a thread not too long ago about hating salt water.  Am I
wrong?

 I can relate to your dislike for your new local teams.  I find myself rooting against the
Hornets, Panthers, UNC, etc, down here.  Much to my multiple brothers-in-law dismay.

Dave in C***te.

P.S.  Anyone out there gonna be at the Hatteras wave-sailing/freestyle/racing event?  I
should be out there for a few days in the next week.

Quote:


> > Mark, I must say that it is surprising to find such sarcasm from one
> residing in the
> > Bronx.  Now go back to your TV set, the Yankees are threatening.

> > Dave in C***te.

> Hey Dave, man,
> Sarcasm?  Moi?
> Lemme look at my post again.  Hmmm, looks like just a lot of truth to me.
> So, what is it?  Is it my "tone?"  How can this be? Have I been reading too
> much Tom James?
> Or could it be...no...it can't be...am I....am I...becoming a (gasp) Noo
> Yawka?  Omagawd, what next?!  Tell me it isn't so, Dave...tell me I'm
> not...tell me I'm not... gonna start liking the...the...Knicks!!!  Blechk!
> No way!!  It's impossible.  The Knicks?  I can barely type the word.  This
> can't be happening.  1st, sarcasm, then...the Knicks.  It's like Reefer
> Madness.
> I can hardly contemplate how my life has gone.  Schooom.  What was
> that?...That was your life, mate...Oh.  That was quick.  Do I get
> another?...Sorry, mate, that was your lot.
> I mean, the Yankees are one thing.  They've never been threatening - that's
> just prejudice towards The Bronx.  They're just a bunch of nice boys who
> play well together.
> That's what it is, just prejudice towards The Bronx.  That Fort Apache
> thing.  Or maybe it is too much Tom James.  But, not sarcasm.  And certainly
> can't ever be the Knicks.
> BTW, what were you doing away from your TV?
> Mark H.
> Da Bronx