Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Atomic Sku » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00


  Was there (at Granite Bay) on the 4'th  I'm *never* gonna do this again, sand
and dust got all over the sail, into the fittings, etc. (not to metion people
seeming to go out of their way to walk through the lines, or under the kite)  
On the other hand, the winds was great, smooth with no turbulance, though it
could have stood to be just a bit stronger.

  Anyone who says that you can't make a Shockwave track straight in reverse
obviously hasn't flown one in good wind, I had no trouble at all)

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
    ------------------------------------------------
     See my 3-D anime character page
     http://www.members.tripod.com/atomic_skull/index.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Jamey Fountai » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>sand and dust got all over the sail, into the fittings, etc. (not to metion
people
> seeming to go out of their way to walk through the lines, or under the

kite)

God I love sand all over my kites, in every fitting, it means home like the
smell of fresh cookies coming from the kitchen and the sound of hockey on
the TV! As for the people, they make it even more fun! what could replace
the look on that woman's face when she glances up and sees that kite 9
inches over her head, just hovering there. Sure it wouldn't have been as
much fun with a quad, but still, the picture is priceless!

Jamey

 
 
 

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Atomic Sku » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>the TV! As for the people, they make it even more fun! what could replace
>the look on that woman's face when she glances up and sees that kite 9
>inches over her head, just hovering there. Sure it wouldn't have been as
>much fun with a quad, but still, the picture is priceless!

I know, that *is* fun....

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
    ------------------------------------------------
     See my 3-D anime character page
     http://www.members.tripod.com/atomic_skull/index.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Atomic Sku » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>God I love sand all over my kites, in every fitting, it means home like the
>smell of fresh cookies coming from the kitchen and the sound of hockey on
>the TV! As for the people, they make it even more fun! what could replace
>the look on that woman's face when she glances up and sees that kite 9
>inches over her head, just hovering there. Sure it wouldn't have been as
>much fun with a quad, but still, the picture is priceless!

  If you weren't flying a quad, how the hell can you hover over somone's
head???

  I dunno, the sight of all that grit on the sail just bothers me, it's like
sandpaper, can't be good for it.

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
    ------------------------------------------------
     See my 3-D anime character page
     http://www.members.tripod.com/atomic_skull/index.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Jamey Fountai » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>   If you weren't flying a quad, how the hell can you hover over somone's
> head???

Snap stalls!!!  For the longest time (atleast a year) i didn't know about
all these high end tricks, it was just me and the waves crashing in and the
kite snapstalled waiting for the dog to jump for it so he could get a good
swim, haha. years of snapstalling, then i noticed someone doing an axel,
thought to myself, hey, theres more than tip landings and stalls!!!! THEN
rev's came out : ) (well, ok, the rev 2 came out, but the first revs were so
expensive no one really flew em)

Jamey

Quote:

>   I dunno, the sight of all that grit on the sail just bothers me, it's
like
> sandpaper, can't be good for it.

After a solid year of beach flying and not cleaning my kites off after, i
noticed no serious wear on the kites other than the fact that they'd been
flown for a year. my very first decent graphite kite, the Griffin got flown
down on the beach in monterey for well over a year and i never did more to
it than burn a hole through the sail where the top spreader rubbed.

guess if yer used to parks and grass, it might be disconcerting though : )

 
 
 

Flying at Folsom Lake (or :ugh!)

Post by Jamey Fountai » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I guess that's why I've always been so turned off to quads, it takes
something that requires skill and practice and makes it easy to do, kind of
like an HTML editor, if you can't do it in notepad, you shouldn't be doing
it at all! : )

Jamey


Quote:
> >   If you weren't flying a quad, how the hell can you hover over somone's
> > head???

> Snap stalls!!!  For the longest time (atleast a year) i didn't know about
> all these high end tricks, it was just me and the waves crashing in and
the
> kite snapstalled waiting for the dog to jump for it so he could get a good
> swim, haha. years of snapstalling, then i noticed someone doing an axel,
> thought to myself, hey, theres more than tip landings and stalls!!!! THEN
> rev's came out : ) (well, ok, the rev 2 came out, but the first revs were
so
> expensive no one really flew em)

> Jamey

> >   I dunno, the sight of all that grit on the sail just bothers me, it's
> like
> > sandpaper, can't be good for it.

> After a solid year of beach flying and not cleaning my kites off after, i
> noticed no serious wear on the kites other than the fact that they'd been
> flown for a year. my very first decent graphite kite, the Griffin got
flown
> down on the beach in monterey for well over a year and i never did more to
> it than burn a hole through the sail where the top spreader rubbed.

> guess if yer used to parks and grass, it might be disconcerting though : )