Flexifoil-10 power in question

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by RBBA » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:43:42


I used to think FlexiFoil-10s were the kings of the power kiting world. But
perhaps that was largely marketing hype from FlexiFoil themselves.

The other day I met a friend who was kiting at Beacon Park with two Flexi 10s
and several foriegn friends of various sizes. I was surprised that, despite a
very stiff wind, these people, men and women with little or no experience of
these kites, all stood their ground and seemed virtually unchallenged
physically or mentally by the Flexi's. By comparison I was flying my Elliot 2.2
quad, and I shouted over to my friend and offered him a go; and despite his
four*** stone weight, he was soon being snatched 3 to 4 feet into the air by
the Elliot.

I've never flown a Flexi-10 (but admit they look great in action). However, I'm
now in some doubt as to them being the monster pullers they are often portrayed
as.

Cheers,

Ron    

 
 
 

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by David Brown :o\ » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:06:10

Quote:

> I used to think FlexiFoil-10s were the kings of the power kiting world.
But
> perhaps that was largely marketing hype from FlexiFoil themselves.

If you are used to flying quad foils then you have flown flexi's it's
difficult to describe their power.  Even tho' my 1.7m2 Jack-Foil will eat a
stack of 2x10' flexi's for breakfast when it comes to traction, I would feel
much safer flying my Jack-Foil than 2x10' flexi's in a strong wind.
Flexifoils need to be kept moving to create their pull and when you take
them through the centre of the window at high speed, believe you me, they
pull.
Between me and a couple of friends, we have various flexi's, 1x4', 4x6',
3x10' and 1x12' and they are the only kites that I have ever decided to
deliberately crash (not land but crash) because of the wind picking up and
me thinking better of bringing them through the window.
At Middle Wallop earlier this year I managed to clock 43mph on the Saturday
with my baby 1.7m2 Jacko and was well out performing my friend with his
2x10' flexi's, but still on the Sunday when I was caught out by a freak gust
with my 5.0m2 at no time did I feel out of control and managed to bring the
kite down safely.  Had it been a big stack of flexi's I don't know what
would have happened.

Don't get me wrong, I love flexi's but I honestly think that you are much
more likely to get hurt flying them than any quad foil of any size, once
they are travelling at high speed things can happen very fast.

David   :o)
http://kitemap.co.uk
Please note, due to total spamage, I no longer pick up Emails to the reply
address to this post.
If you must contact me by Email, please use address on above site.

 
 
 

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by Ben Notariann » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:01:15

Quote:

> The other day I met a friend who was kiting at Beacon Park with two Flexi
> 10s and several foriegn friends of various sizes. I was surprised that,
> despite a very stiff wind, these people, men and women with little or no
> experience of these kites, all stood their ground and seemed virtually
> unchallenged physically or mentally by the Flexi's.

Super 10s are very easy to fly.

Quote:
> By comparison I was
> flying my Elliot 2.2 quad, and I shouted over to my friend and offered him
> a go; and despite his four*** stone weight, he was soon being snatched 3
> to 4 feet into the air by the Elliot.

You're comparing 2 different types of kites each of which is best suited to
a different type/style of flying and wind conditions.

Quote:
> I've never flown a Flexi-10 (but admit they look great in action).
> However, I'm now in some doubt as to them being the monster pullers they
> are often portrayed as.

Believe me they can pull! A stack of 2 S10s in 25 - 30 mph winds is wild but
not something I'd recommend unless you're on a beach at low tide with lots
of flat sand in front of you.

I like my 2xS10s. Unfortunately I've lent them to a friend and haven't flown
them for a few months now. So I've been forced to fly my Blade in far too
strong a winds. My arms are about 4 inches longer now.

Regards

Ben

--
Ben Notarianni

 
 
 

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by alan greenhil » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:43:29

I have an Elliot 3.8 and 3 10's so when the wind is strong the 10's come out
to play. I have never been taken by surprise with the 10's though my father
broke his ribs being pulled forwards by 2 of them, but the Elliot has caught
me a few times so I feel safer with the 10's.
Alan

Quote:

> > The other day I met a friend who was kiting at Beacon Park with two
Flexi
> > 10s and several foriegn friends of various sizes. I was surprised that,
> > despite a very stiff wind, these people, men and women with little or no
> > experience of these kites, all stood their ground and seemed virtually
> > unchallenged physically or mentally by the Flexi's.

> Super 10s are very easy to fly.

> > By comparison I was
> > flying my Elliot 2.2 quad, and I shouted over to my friend and offered
him
> > a go; and despite his four*** stone weight, he was soon being snatched
3
> > to 4 feet into the air by the Elliot.

> You're comparing 2 different types of kites each of which is best suited
to
> a different type/style of flying and wind conditions.

> > I've never flown a Flexi-10 (but admit they look great in action).
> > However, I'm now in some doubt as to them being the monster pullers they
> > are often portrayed as.

> Believe me they can pull! A stack of 2 S10s in 25 - 30 mph winds is wild
but
> not something I'd recommend unless you're on a beach at low tide with lots
> of flat sand in front of you.

> I like my 2xS10s. Unfortunately I've lent them to a friend and haven't
flown
> them for a few months now. So I've been forced to fly my Blade in far too
> strong a winds. My arms are about 4 inches longer now.

> Regards

> Ben

> --
> Ben Notarianni

 
 
 

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by RBBA » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:29:00

I forgot to mention that my friend & co were flying the Flexi 10s singly, not
stacked.

cheerz,

R.

 
 
 

Flexifoil-10 power in question

Post by Dave Style » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 05:57:45


Quote:
> I've never flown a Flexi-10 (but admit they look great in action).
However, I'm
> now in some doubt as to them being the monster pullers they are often
portrayed
> as.

Generally they don't pull that much. But one thing I've learned is that no
matter what you fly, the really SERIOUS pull is that pull which will take
you by surprise.

Most of the time with a quad line you give thanks for the bloke who invented
brake lines. Trouble with a Super 10 (or a stack of 'em) is that it has none
and you either jettison the lot and lose several hundred pounds, or you get
hurt.

Dave