High-wind deltas?

High-wind deltas?

Post by Ken » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:31:32


The deltas I have seen -- rated up to 20 mph -- could easily be made
much stronger than they are. Rather than terminate the longitudinal
and transverse spars in flimsy pockets, they could be terminated in
strong pockets or in edge connectors.  So improved,  they ought to be
able to  handle up to 30 mph.  Then, they would not have to be taken
down when the winds picks up.

Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by tricktai » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:17:53

Hi Ken,
you've brought an interesting question. Is it better to use a bow (like
a fighterkite) or use a delta type structure (two leading edges,
tensioned by a horizontal bar). I don't know, I've seen both, I believe
the folks from belgium use the fighterkite style. The fighterkite style
might eliminate the need for extra reenforcements, but would certainly
require a stiffer rod. But the rod since its bends from the center could
be reenforced like a speed-wing.

I leave the rest to your imagination,

pierre  (tricktail nerfc.org)

Quote:

> The deltas I have seen -- rated up to 20 mph -- could easily be made
> much stronger than they are. Rather than terminate the longitudinal
> and transverse spars in flimsy pockets, they could be terminated in
> strong pockets or in edge connectors.  So improved,  they ought to be
> able to  handle up to 30 mph.  Then, they would not have to be taken
> down when the winds picks up.

> Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

> Ken
> (to reply via email
> remove "zz" from address)


 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by grum » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:56:26

Quote:

> Hi Ken,
> you've brought an interesting question. Is it better to use a bow (like
> a fighterkite) or use a delta type structure (two leading edges,
> tensioned by a horizontal bar). I don't know, I've seen both, I believe
> the folks from belgium use the fighterkite style. The fighterkite style
> might eliminate the need for extra reenforcements, but would certainly
> require a stiffer rod. But the rod since its bends from the center could
> be reenforced like a speed-wing.

> I leave the rest to your imagination,

> pierre  (tricktail nerfc.org)


> > The deltas I have seen -- rated up to 20 mph -- could easily be made
> > much stronger than they are. Rather than terminate the longitudinal
> > and transverse spars in flimsy pockets, they could be terminated in
> > strong pockets or in edge connectors.  So improved,  they ought to be
> > able to  handle up to 30 mph.  Then, they would not have to be taken
> > down when the winds picks up.

> > Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

> > Ken
> > (to reply via email
> > remove "zz" from address)

how large a delta are you talking about? then again when the wind is
20 plus how are you going to get it down?
grumpy
wackos
aka

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by John Dobso » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:13:38


Quote:

> Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

talk to Dan Leigh
http://www.deltakites.com/
he'll make one for you if his standard offerings aren't good enough for you.
No-one knows more about deltas.

John

Quote:

> Ken
> (to reply via email
> remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Troy Gu » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:27:56

For the past 10-12 years, Walt Mitchell from Lubbock, Texas has been
successfully making a high wind delta kite that can be flown in winds up
to 40mph. He utilizes standard cotton bed sheets to make the sail. Walt
discovered that the very porous cotton fabric allows wind to escape thru
the sail, and thus the kite doesn't pull very hard in strong winds. I've
seen versions up to 6m wide. The cool thing about using bed sheets as
sail material, is that there are lots of bed sheet pattern designs to
choose from. Walt also makes a matching kite bag from the same pattern
of sheets. If a person likes*** kites from the walls of thier home,
as decoration, you could easily make one to hang in your bedroom, that
matches the bed sheets on your bed. LOL

Here's Walt's e-addy so you may write him. And I'm sure he will share
his building plans of the bed sheet delta kite. The Texas Kite Makers
Club of Austin Texas, recently hosted a workshop for building the kite.
Stephen Ploof would probably have the plans, also. Below is Stephen's
e-addy too:

Walt Mitchell:

Troy Gunn - TKO Sportkite Team (USA)

-Sport Kite Team Flying (Yahoo Group):
http://SportToday.org/

-American Kite Buggier (MSN Group):
http://SportToday.org/

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Troy Gu » Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:29:29

I forgot to add Stephen Ploof's e-addy. here it is:


Troy Gunn - TKO Sportkite Team (USA)

-Sport Kite Team Flying (Yahoo Group):
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SKTeamflying/

-American Kite Buggier (MSN Group):
http://groups.msn.com/AmericanKiteBuggier

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Jim Mart » Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:09:46

Quote:
>> Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

>you've brought an interesting question. Is it better to use a bow (like
>a fighterkite) or use a delta type structure (two leading edges,
>tensioned by a horizontal bar). I don't know, I've seen both, I believe

I have a Big Ugly Delta that uses the "fighter style" configuration and no
keel.  It is actually a beautiful kite, except nobody likes the colors!  ^_^

I've heard it called a bull-nosed delta, if that means anything to anybody.

It is about 20' across, with aluminum tent-poles for spars that are very
flexible -- in high wind it really folds back to dump air, but is so light it
flies in very little breeze.  Thus, the effective windrange is HUGE -- well
tailed I've never had to pull it down because of high wind.

It was commercially made at some point, vague memory says by somebody in the
midwest/minnesota/something like that.  

I've only ever seen two of them -- the other is owned by a fellow WACKO and is
rigged for optional dual line flying -- I'm guessing it'd fly really badly dual
line...  ^_^

If anybody is interested I could dig it out and measure/photo stuff, for those
interested in recreating...

JIM
Jim Martin
Region 4 Director, AKA (www.aka.kite.org)
Buy NKM logo stuff here ---> www.cafepress.com/kitemonth

"This line is so good, it surely must end in a kite!"
        -- Ethelred the Unready

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Jean Lemi » Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:45:39

Hi Ken, hi folks.

Why not a vented delta kite.

Wind or no wind, fly for fun :)

Jean (Johnny) Lemire from Richelieu, Quebec, Canada.

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Ken » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:40:12

Quote:

>Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

After considering all the info, it appears that good value can be had
from:
http://www.aboveitallkites.com//merch/list.shtml?cat=singleline.deltas

Dave Colbert claims 4-40 mph for these carbon-framed box deltas.  The
8 ft is around $70 (with carbon upgrade) and the 11 ft is around $130.

The best deal by far, however, is the New Tech 9 ft Illusion delta.
Carbon framed, nicely sewn, claimed 4-25 mph range, street price under
$40.

In any event, I have decided *not* to use the delta as my high wind
lifter.  Rather, it will be my lifter for light to moderate air.  When
the wind gets brisk (over 20 mph), I will shift to a 7.5 sq ft
parafoil, rebridled to hover at a high angle.

Ken C

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Steve Watki » Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:31:09

Dan Leigh's Trooper is the best!!     http://www.deltakites.com/
SW (just a very satisfied customer)


Quote:

> >Does anyone make a high-wind delta?

> After considering all the info, it appears that good value can be had
> from:
> http://www.aboveitallkites.com//merch/list.shtml?cat=singleline.deltas

> Dave Colbert claims 4-40 mph for these carbon-framed box deltas.  The
> 8 ft is around $70 (with carbon upgrade) and the 11 ft is around $130.

> The best deal by far, however, is the New Tech 9 ft Illusion delta.
> Carbon framed, nicely sewn, claimed 4-25 mph range, street price under
> $40.

> In any event, I have decided *not* to use the delta as my high wind
> lifter.  Rather, it will be my lifter for light to moderate air.  When
> the wind gets brisk (over 20 mph), I will shift to a 7.5 sq ft
> parafoil, rebridled to hover at a high angle.

> Ken C

> Ken
> (to reply via email
> remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Ken » Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:50:41

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:31:09 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin"

Quote:

>Dan Leigh's Trooper is the best!!     http://www.deltakites.com/

That may be, but with all glass/carbon framing, this 7.5 ft delta is
over $200 before s&h.  Compare this to the 44% bigger all-carbon 9ft
NT Illusion at $40 and you can see why the Illusion is a bargain.

I see the same dichotomy in flyfishing.  You can pay $600 for an Orvis
carbon rod or $70 for a lesser brand that performs 95% as well.  If
that last 5% matters for you, then your choice is clear.

Ken C

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)

 
 
 

High-wind deltas?

Post by Steve Watki » Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:32:31

I think you may be right, especially with "high wind" kites, but never the
less if you still want the best.................well that's up to you!
It must be said that when it comes to "light wind" kites the extra money is
well spent.  Dan's kites fly in winds that do not appear to exist!  I have
had my Carbon Classic flying when all other kites are grounded so that
flight alone was worth quite a bit.
I can honestly say I've never regreted the money I've spent on Dan's kites
Good luck with your search for the kite, let me know what you buy and how it
flys.

SW


Quote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:31:09 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin"

> >Dan Leigh's Trooper is the best!!     http://www.deltakites.com/

> That may be, but with all glass/carbon framing, this 7.5 ft delta is
> over $200 before s&h.  Compare this to the 44% bigger all-carbon 9ft
> NT Illusion at $40 and you can see why the Illusion is a bargain.

> I see the same dichotomy in flyfishing.  You can pay $600 for an Orvis
> carbon rod or $70 for a lesser brand that performs 95% as well.  If
> that last 5% matters for you, then your choice is clear.

> Ken C

> Ken
> (to reply via email
> remove "zz" from address)