American Kite Magazine??

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Carlos Simoe » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00


So,.... where have all the good kite magazines gone now???

I did not renew my American Kite membership in 1999 as I started picking
it up at Chapters bookstore(Barnes & Noble) last year. I have not seen
anything at the book store this year. Is anyone still getting the
magazine or know what is up?

I took a chance and did renew my Kitelines membership in 1999 and
received one issue since. I suspect kitelines is no more(other than old
issues on kitelife.com).
Too bad both are/were great sources of information on kiting.

Does anyone have any interesting info on what is up these days with
either magazine??
Carlos Simoes

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by M McGe » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Funny you should ask...

I actually did a search for the offices, found the number and gave
them a call.

Someone answered the phone "American Kite, how may I help you."  I
asked her why I hadn't gotten an issue in quite a while as I was sure
I purchased a 2 year subscription.  

The answer is quite simple.  They haven't published an issue since the
summer of '99.

The reason is simple as well.  They don't have enough advertising to
pay for the publishing costs and they don't want to publish at a loss.

I can't say as I blame them at all.  Evidently they have lots of
content ready to go as soon as they get the advertising together.  Our
subscriptions will be extended to include whatever number of issues
you would normally recieve had they been able to publish regularly.

Kind of a sad commentary on our "sport," huh??  There are *** stamp
publications which haven't missed a publishing deadline in 10 years,
but kiting can't seem to maintain a non-organizational glossy magazine
distributed in this country.

When I was just getting into kites seriously I would read every word
in every mag I could find.  I wanted to see reviews of kites, stories
about kiting, event coverage, how to fly sections, etc.  I can
remember at least 80% of the advertisers who ran ads.  They were my
first introduction to the variety of gear available.  Like I would
have known what Shanti was here in Seattle?  Only way I knew, was
because I read their ads.  Same for many small kite makers and
companies not in my area.

LaserPro, Revolution, Dodd Gross, Shanti, Prism, Avia Sport,
BerryBlue, SkyShark, HQ and more.  All of these had ads that I can
still see in my minds eye.  I didn't know what Airkraft was, but I
knew that they were the best, dressed all in black, had crazy hair and
flew the Matrix.

How many upcoming flyers are missing the same experience?  How many
interested possible enthusiasts do we miss due to our non-exsistent
public profile?  I know that this is an old question and much
hashed-over, but the reality isn't changing very much.  At least not
in the 3.5 years I've been flying.  In that time I've gone from total
kite-duffus to NW MIB winner.  I got there with alot of help from
other flyers in my area and the imput from as many sources around me
as I could find.  

It would do possible advertisers good to realize that there have to be
more people like me out there.  People who really looked forward to
those publications as a way of expanding our experience and learning
new things.  

Sorry, it would appear that I've gone off on another rant.  You just
can't take me out in public...

;->
Matt

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:52:56 GMT, Carlos Simoes

Quote:

>So,.... where have all the good kite magazines gone now???

>I did not renew my American Kite membership in 1999 as I started picking
>it up at Chapters bookstore(Barnes & Noble) last year. I have not seen
>anything at the book store this year. Is anyone still getting the
>magazine or know what is up?

>I took a chance and did renew my Kitelines membership in 1999 and
>received one issue since. I suspect kitelines is no more(other than old
>issues on kitelife.com).
>Too bad both are/were great sources of information on kiting.

>Does anyone have any interesting info on what is up these days with
>either magazine??
>Carlos Simoes


 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Patrick Frank » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

When did you make that call?
This year?
Got the number?
Maybe some advertisers would like to get a hold of American Kite.
Post the number.
I'm sure that there are others out there wondering about their subscriptions
also.

Got to admit though, it was a great magazine. I read all of mine cover to
cover.

later, pat

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by please repl » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You hit the nail on the head there.

Buying magazines is a nice way to investigate a new sport before taking
the plunge, but without them......

I think we have a similar situation in the UK after the recent change
of "Kite Passion" magazine to "Kite Surf".  To me, kite surf is a
*very* specialised area, and if you don't live near water, non-existent.

When Kite Passion was sold in WHSmith, a high street newsagent chain
store in the UK, there must have been a dramatic increase in kite
interest - that's what started me.

I treasure those first UK issues, and used them for reference now that
the content has a bit more meaning to me.

Many thanks to the French team for publishing in the UK, and good luck
with Kite Surf.

I wonder though, what does the future hold for general kiteing
without a Kite Passion type magazine on the high street?

--

Thanks,
Alun (UK).

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Carlos Simoe » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hey Matt & others, thanks for the great replies.
Matt you were not ranting at all. You have the exact same concerns as I do. I

fear for kiting in general. If we don't have a quality magazine out there how

will we entice new people to join in on our great sport/hobby. I have read
each and everyone of my magazines several times over the years. I still pick
up on a new idea overtime. It's fun to look back 10 years ago and see the
leading edge kites and materials available. At least so we thought so at the
time.

So this is a call to all you manufacturers, wholesalers and kite shops that
have supported Kite Lines and American Kite in the past, Please, please
please help save our magazines. How will we ever know what is new and
improved  if you guys can't tell us anymore? My hope is the more you spend in

advertising the more us kite consumers will respond by buying that new
product. I still meet people every day that have now idea what modern kite
flying is all about.

Sample quote:
"Okay,... so so let me get this straight then,...this really big kite
actually pulls you,.... on a buggy,....on the beach,.... really????"

Carlos Simoes
Totally ***ed to "ALL" kites

Quote:

> Funny you should ask...

> I actually did a search for the offices, found the number and gave
> them a call.

> Someone answered the phone "American Kite, how may I help you."  I
> asked her why I hadn't gotten an issue in quite a while as I was sure
> I purchased a 2 year subscription.

> The answer is quite simple.  They haven't published an issue since the
> summer of '99.

> The reason is simple as well.  They don't have enough advertising to
> pay for the publishing costs and they don't want to publish at a loss.

> I can't say as I blame them at all.  Evidently they have lots of
> content ready to go as soon as they get the advertising together.  Our
> subscriptions will be extended to include whatever number of issues
> you would normally recieve had they been able to publish regularly.

> Kind of a sad commentary on our "sport," huh??  There are *** stamp
> publications which haven't missed a publishing deadline in 10 years,
> but kiting can't seem to maintain a non-organizational glossy magazine
> distributed in this country.

> When I was just getting into kites seriously I would read every word
> in every mag I could find.  I wanted to see reviews of kites, stories
> about kiting, event coverage, how to fly sections, etc.  I can
> remember at least 80% of the advertisers who ran ads.  They were my
> first introduction to the variety of gear available.  Like I would
> have known what Shanti was here in Seattle?  Only way I knew, was
> because I read their ads.  Same for many small kite makers and
> companies not in my area.

> LaserPro, Revolution, Dodd Gross, Shanti, Prism, Avia Sport,
> BerryBlue, SkyShark, HQ and more.  All of these had ads that I can
> still see in my minds eye.  I didn't know what Airkraft was, but I
> knew that they were the best, dressed all in black, had crazy hair and
> flew the Matrix.

> How many upcoming flyers are missing the same experience?  How many
> interested possible enthusiasts do we miss due to our non-exsistent
> public profile?  I know that this is an old question and much
> hashed-over, but the reality isn't changing very much.  At least not
> in the 3.5 years I've been flying.  In that time I've gone from total
> kite-duffus to NW MIB winner.  I got there with alot of help from
> other flyers in my area and the imput from as many sources around me
> as I could find.

> It would do possible advertisers good to realize that there have to be
> more people like me out there.  People who really looked forward to
> those publications as a way of expanding our experience and learning
> new things.

> Sorry, it would appear that I've gone off on another rant.  You just
> can't take me out in public...

> ;->
> Matt

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:52:56 GMT, Carlos Simoes

> >So,.... where have all the good kite magazines gone now???

> >I did not renew my American Kite membership in 1999 as I started picking
> >it up at Chapters bookstore(Barnes & Noble) last year. I have not seen
> >anything at the book store this year. Is anyone still getting the
> >magazine or know what is up?

> >I took a chance and did renew my Kitelines membership in 1999 and
> >received one issue since. I suspect kitelines is no more(other than old
> >issues on kitelife.com).
> >Too bad both are/were great sources of information on kiting.

> >Does anyone have any interesting info on what is up these days with
> >either magazine??
> >Carlos Simoes

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Jamey Fountai » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:
>It's fun to look back 10 years ago and see the
> leading edge kites and materials available. At least so we thought so at
the
> time.

I miss the Scorpion the most, man that kite was just the coolest. Sure it
didn't axel well (for me at the time anyway) and probably wouldn't do most
of the higher end tricks of today,  but it was a stall and track machine!
For beginners level competition, I couldn't imagine a kite that could do
better, what a joy it was to fly!

*sigh*

Jamey

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Marty Sasak » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> So this is a call to all you manufacturers, wholesalers and kite shops that
> have supported Kite Lines and American Kite in the past, Please, please
> please help save our magazines. How will we ever know what is new and
> improved  if you guys can't tell us anymore? My hope is the more you spend in

I wonder how much advertising really works in the kite industry? I
also wonder whether event sponsorship helps any?

I know that for the really small time guy, like I used to be, that
advertising and sponsorship didn't help me at all. I came to realize
that for me that money spent on sponsorship and advertising was a
donation, I never got any inquiries as a result of advertising or
sponsorship. I felt that my time and money was better spent by
contacting retailers and sending out trial kites.

It's also a catch-22 right now. Any advertising submitted to either
Kite Lines or American Kite is going to be stale by the time the
magazine actually comes out. So, the advertisers are hesitant to make
the investment. But the magazines need advertising in order to
publish.

I don't know what the solution is, but hope that someone figures it
out.

        Marty Sasaki

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Jamey Fountai » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I worked for Whindborne kites in Monterey CA years and years ago and I know
we got a lot of business from advertising in those magazines. We always
asked phone orders how they heard about us and quite often they saw it in a
mag. I think the biggest downfall of the magazine is the computer and
availability of on-line information. While what you read on line is mostly
amateur stuff, it's free and quick and easy, only problem is, you can't take
it to the bathroom : )

Jamey

Quote:

> > So this is a call to all you manufacturers, wholesalers and kite shops
that
> > have supported Kite Lines and American Kite in the past, Please, please
> > please help save our magazines. How will we ever know what is new and
> > improved  if you guys can't tell us anymore? My hope is the more you
spend in

> I wonder how much advertising really works in the kite industry? I
> also wonder whether event sponsorship helps any?

> I know that for the really small time guy, like I used to be, that
> advertising and sponsorship didn't help me at all. I came to realize
> that for me that money spent on sponsorship and advertising was a
> donation, I never got any inquiries as a result of advertising or
> sponsorship. I felt that my time and money was better spent by
> contacting retailers and sending out trial kites.

> It's also a catch-22 right now. Any advertising submitted to either
> Kite Lines or American Kite is going to be stale by the time the
> magazine actually comes out. So, the advertisers are hesitant to make
> the investment. But the magazines need advertising in order to
> publish.

> I don't know what the solution is, but hope that someone figures it
> out.

> Marty Sasaki

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Edward Gree » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> I worked for Whindborne kites in Monterey CA years and years ago and I
know
> we got a lot of business from advertising in those magazines. We always
> asked phone orders how they heard about us and quite often they saw it in
a
> mag. I think the biggest downfall of the magazine is the computer and
> availability of on-line information. While what you read on line is mostly
> amateur stuff, it's free and quick and easy, only problem is, you can't
take
> it to the bathroom : )

i download the info onto my handheld computer - don't you?

ed/

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Patrick Frank » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

bathroom? laptop? Naaaaaaaaa. Got to have paper in your hand.

later, pat

 
 
 

American Kite Magazine??

Post by Roy Marti » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Ed Green tried to get a web-based mag started, to keep things going, and so
has someone else since, but nobody wrote anything.

Trouble is, people don't want to WRITE a mag, they just want to read one.
You need to nail people to write, and regularly, to make a mag work. It
would have to be priced to be self-sufficient, because of that advertising
problem - its what killed "Kites" some years ago - the advertisers wouldn't
pay up, I believe. I'd love to have a go, I'm better at editing than
writing, but I don't have the contacts or the time. But when I win the
lottery......

Roy

:-) Happiness is ....

----------

Quote:

> You hit the nail on the head there.

> Buying magazines is a nice way to investigate a new sport before taking
> the plunge, but without them......

> I think we have a similar situation in the UK after the recent change
> of "Kite Passion" magazine to "Kite Surf".  To me, kite surf is a
> *very* specialised area, and if you don't live near water, non-existent.

> When Kite Passion was sold in WHSmith, a high street newsagent chain
> store in the UK, there must have been a dramatic increase in kite
> interest - that's what started me.

> I treasure those first UK issues, and used them for reference now that
> the content has a bit more meaning to me.

> Many thanks to the French team for publishing in the UK, and good luck
> with Kite Surf.

> I wonder though, what does the future hold for general kiteing
> without a Kite Passion type magazine on the high street?

> --

> Thanks,
> Alun (UK).