Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Atomic Sku » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:41:51


  What's the difference between Skyshark, 2p, 3p, etc. non tapered rods and
the p200, p300, etc. rods?

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
    ------------------------------------------------
     See my 3-D anime character page
     http://members.home.net/atomicskull/index.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Goodwin » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:53:41

Quote:
>What's the difference between Skyshark, 2p, 3p, etc. non tapered rods and
>the p200, p300, etc. rods?

There are several physical differences:
2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.  p200 and p300
have been sanded so they are smooth.
2p and 3p rods were phased out for a while but now the 2p are coming back.
There is a difference in the weights and diameters but I don't have that
information right on hand for you.  Go to Skyburner.com and you can see the
differences.  2p and 3p used to come in 40 inch lengths as well as 32.5"
lengths.
Hope that helps.
Kathy Goodwind
rec.kites

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Steve Hal » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:41:18

Even better info at:
http://www.skyshark.com/What_s_New/Tube_Sales/Standard_Tubes/standard....
html

--
...later...
Steve

visit us on the 'net at:
www.kitekids.net
"the difference between men and boys
is the price of their kites"
www.gwtw-kites.com


| >What's the difference between Skyshark, 2p, 3p, etc. non tapered rods and
| >the p200, p300, etc. rods?
|
| There are several physical differences:
| 2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.  p200 and
p300
| have been sanded so they are smooth.
| 2p and 3p rods were phased out for a while but now the 2p are coming back.
| There is a difference in the weights and diameters but I don't have that
| information right on hand for you.  Go to Skyburner.com and you can see
the
| differences.  2p and 3p used to come in 40 inch lengths as well as 32.5"
| lengths.
| Hope that helps.
| Kathy Goodwind
| rec.kites
|

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Whisk » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:30:03

Heres a useful site which will tell all.....
http://gamma.nic.fi/~sos/spars/spars98.htm

Posted from the Rec.Kites Archive at http://www.ikite.com - I Kite, Therefore I Am

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Atomic Sku » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:42:28

Quote:

>There are several physical differences:
>2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.  p200 and
p300
>have been sanded so they are smooth.
>2p and 3p rods were phased out for a while but now the 2p are coming back.
>There is a difference in the weights and diameters but I don't have that
>information right on hand for you.  Go to Skyburner.com and you can see the
>differences.  2p and 3p used to come in 40 inch lengths as well as 32.5"
>lengths.

  Which in the *P and P*** series rods are closest to the 3 wrap Rev rods? (as
a basis for comparison, I need somthing about that same stiffness and weight)

  Also, does anyone know anything about the 3P non tapered "replacement" rods
that Hang-Em-high sells? Apparently these are made by Avia and are supposed to
be an equal replacement for the discontinued 3P non tapered rods (they're
priced at $4.80 each, not bad if they're actually equal to the 3P)

  I know what you're thinking, but I'm *not* making a bootleg Rev, I'm making
a better version of this..

http://members.home.net/atomicskull/tempest3.jpg

  Soon as I get the bugs shaken out I'm making a new lighter version out of
Icarex and wrapped carbon.  (it flys sort of like a cross betwen a Shockwave
and a Decca)

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
    ------------------------------------------------
     See my 3-D anime character page
     http://members.home.net/atomicskull/index.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Goodwin » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 23:26:36

Quote:
>Which in the *P and P*** series rods are closest to the 3 wrap Rev rods? (as
>a basis for comparison, I need somthing about that same stiffness and weight)

There is no comparison.  If you want a Rev rod, get a rev rod.  Granted they
are more expensive but you pay for what you get.
Best,
Kathy Goodwind
rec.kites
 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Cutting Edge Kite » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 06:12:10

As a flier, the first thing you'll notice is the old 2p and 3p rods are much
stiffer. The new p300 series rods are a lot more durable, but have about 10 to 15
percent more flex. Revs Advantage rods would be much stiffer than the new p300
series, the closer Skyshark rod would be the original 3p, which I still have a
bunch if you need some.

Jim Barber
Team Cutting Edge

Quote:

> >There are several physical differences:
> >2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.  p200 and
> p300
> >have been sanded so they are smooth.
> >2p and 3p rods were phased out for a while but now the 2p are coming back.
> >There is a difference in the weights and diameters but I don't have that
> >information right on hand for you.  Go to Skyburner.com and you can see the
> >differences.  2p and 3p used to come in 40 inch lengths as well as 32.5"
> >lengths.

>   Which in the *P and P*** series rods are closest to the 3 wrap Rev rods? (as
> a basis for comparison, I need somthing about that same stiffness and weight)

>   Also, does anyone know anything about the 3P non tapered "replacement" rods
> that Hang-Em-high sells? Apparently these are made by Avia and are supposed to
> be an equal replacement for the discontinued 3P non tapered rods (they're
> priced at $4.80 each, not bad if they're actually equal to the 3P)

>   I know what you're thinking, but I'm *not* making a bootleg Rev, I'm making
> a better version of this..

> http://members.home.net/atomicskull/tempest3.jpg

>   Soon as I get the bugs shaken out I'm making a new lighter version out of
> Icarex and wrapped carbon.  (it flys sort of like a cross betwen a Shockwave
> and a Decca)

> --
>                              -=Atomic Skull=-
>     ------------------------------------------------
>      See my 3-D anime character page
>      http://members.home.net/atomicskull/index.htm
>     -------------------------------------------------------

--
The Wind Is Out There...Experience It!
Jim & Monica Barber
1-800-379-3109 for orders only
1-360-289-0667
http://www.cuttingedgekites.com
 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Malte Hin » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:19:44

| There are several physical differences:
| 2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.
p200 and p300
| have been sanded so they are smooth.

Hi Flyers!

Really? I always thought that the Skyshark p200 and p300 are pultruded
rods rather than wrapped carbon!?!

So the p200/p300 is wrapped carbon or what?

Yours,
                Malte

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Ken McNeil » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:17:30

All of the Sky shark tubes are wrapped.  The P200, etc. series have been
sanded as an extra production step.  As far as I can tell, all that is
removed during the sanding is the extra resin (glue) on the outside of the
tube.

The shiny surface, and especially the "ridges", are a by-product of the
manufacturing process.  They have no structural value, and are not a wrap of
carbon on the outside.

Ken McNeill
http://www.bluemoonkites.com/


Quote:
> | There are several physical differences:
> | 2p and 3p have a layer of wrapped carbon on the outer diameter.
> p200 and p300
> | have been sanded so they are smooth.

> Hi Flyers!

> Really? I always thought that the Skyshark p200 and p300 are pultruded
> rods rather than wrapped carbon!?!

> So the p200/p300 is wrapped carbon or what?

> Yours,
>                 Malte

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Djskit » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 05:48:19

Hi Ken, do you know how one can tell the diff between p100 and 200?
I have some samples I got a long time ago, they work great in my Dynamite and
dont break. But I am not sure if they are 100 or 200
what is the diameter of these, do you know?

dodd

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Ken McNeil » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:06:40

The Skyburner  site shows the p200 at 0.284" and the p100 at .280"
http://skyburner.com/skyshark1a.htm .  Time to break out the caliper!

Ken
http://www.bluemoonkites.com


Quote:
> Hi Ken, do you know how one can tell the diff between p100 and 200?
> I have some samples I got a long time ago, they work great in my Dynamite
and
> dont break. But I am not sure if they are 100 or 200
> what is the diameter of these, do you know?

> dodd

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by EHS » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:10:41

Quote:

> The Skyburner  site shows the p200 at 0.284" and the p100 at .280"
> http://skyburner.com/skyshark1a.htm .  Time to break out the caliper!

LOL...or a scale. P100 - 13 grams/P200 - 14.5 grams

Ellen

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by EHS » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:15:42

Quote:

>   What's the difference between Skyshark, 2p, 3p, etc. non tapered rods and
> the p200, p300, etc. rods?

I've read the replies to date and there is some really good information
there.

To reiterate, SS 2P is not the same as the former P series that is still
being used in some European manufacturing. (I think Bilboquet has a
stock pile of them, but that's purely speculation). The old P series
were .2100 ID.

Okay, let's jump to now. The "P" series is no longer being made. The new
2P (8 gram) wrapped carbon graphite linear spar recently introduced has
a .1960 ID. It has a thicker wall than the previous 2P's and is made
from a high modulus carbon that not only makes it stiffer, but makes it
more durable, which can, if used correctly in the right kite design can
more than double the wind range. It offers the best weight to durability
ratio that we know to date in a spar of this weight. That being said, it
is a difficult spar to work with if you don't know what you're doing.

The Sky Shark-P100+ series spars, introduced last year, are wrapped
carbon graphite linear and lightly sanded. These "tubes" are used in a
variety of non-kite applications, just to make it clear why they are
sanded. This series of spars are more durable in most apps, due to the
fact that they are *softer* and more forgiving than tapered spars. The
weights and OD/ID can be accessed at http://www.skyburner.com

We've used them in a variety of applications rather than using
pultrudeds, and they work admirably. (They are GREAT in Single Line Kite
apps) What makes them very useable is that they are reinforced equally
throughout the spar which means you can cut them anywhere. What's really
cool about this is that for anyone who wants to use wrapped carbon
graphite spars it's a snap. You can cut them to any length, internally
ferrule them, and not worry about them not being strong enough to handle
your app. Good tubes and we highly recommend them for hobbiests!

Ellen
http://www.sportkite.com

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by Ken McNeil » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:14:02

A couple of minor points -

The SkyShark  P series tubes ( with the exception of the really light stuff)
have always been based on a .240+ mandrel.

Higher modulus fibers will make a composite stiffer, but it will also make
it more brittle.


Quote:

> >   What's the difference between Skyshark, 2p, 3p, etc. non tapered rods
and
> > the p200, p300, etc. rods?

> I've read the replies to date and there is some really good information
> there.

> To reiterate, SS 2P is not the same as the former P series that is still
> being used in some European manufacturing. (I think Bilboquet has a
> stock pile of them, but that's purely speculation). The old P series
> were .2100 ID.

> Okay, let's jump to now. The "P" series is no longer being made. The new
> 2P (8 gram) wrapped carbon graphite linear spar recently introduced has
> a .1960 ID. It has a thicker wall than the previous 2P's and is made
> from a high modulus carbon that not only makes it stiffer, but makes it
> more durable, which can, if used correctly in the right kite design can
> more than double the wind range. It offers the best weight to durability
> ratio that we know to date in a spar of this weight. That being said, it
> is a difficult spar to work with if you don't know what you're doing.

> The Sky Shark-P100+ series spars, introduced last year, are wrapped
> carbon graphite linear and lightly sanded. These "tubes" are used in a
> variety of non-kite applications, just to make it clear why they are
> sanded. This series of spars are more durable in most apps, due to the
> fact that they are *softer* and more forgiving than tapered spars. The
> weights and OD/ID can be accessed at http://www.skyburner.com

> We've used them in a variety of applications rather than using
> pultrudeds, and they work admirably. (They are GREAT in Single Line Kite
> apps) What makes them very useable is that they are reinforced equally
> throughout the spar which means you can cut them anywhere. What's really
> cool about this is that for anyone who wants to use wrapped carbon
> graphite spars it's a snap. You can cut them to any length, internally
> ferrule them, and not worry about them not being strong enough to handle
> your app. Good tubes and we highly recommend them for hobbiests!

> Ellen
> http://www.sportkite.com

 
 
 

Skyshark 2p, 3p etc vs Skyshark p200, p300, etc.

Post by EHS » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:51:06

Quote:

> A couple of minor points -

> The SkyShark  P series tubes ( with the exception of the really light stuff)
> have always been based on a .240+ mandrel.

> Higher modulus fibers will make a composite stiffer, but it will also make
> it more brittle.

Woopsie, you're absolutely right. Thanks for the heads up about the
.2400 vs my faux pas .2100.

Ellen