Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by Randall Herman » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 04:55:28


Last season I used a pair of demo powder boards for a cat skiing day and was very disappointed. Every little drop, jump landing, etc. caused the binding to release even though it was at the proper DIN. While I know this may have been a case of bad luck I am wondering about all of the demo skis for sale on eBay that come with the demo bindings-- would you trust them for off-piste adventures? Specifically places like Spanky's, Ruby, etc. at Whistler.

Thanks!

 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by Womba » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 05:40:14


message

.
Quote:
> Last season I used a pair of demo powder boards for a cat

skiing day and was very disappointed.

Chances are they had too many days on them and the springs were
getting weak. I'm assuming the DIN was set via the indicators on
the bindings. If a release check was actually done confirming
correct DIN then either your technique needs improving or the
bindings weren't adjusted correctly for your boots and were
pre-releasing.

--
Last Wombat in Mecca

 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by Kenneth Shelto » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:40:12

I've skied many days with rental bindings I own with no problem.  I've also
skied on rented powder skis that released too easily, but they'd had years
of frequent use.  I don't worry about buying rental bindings that are
relatively new.
Ken

 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by ant » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:04:59


Quote:
> I don't worry about buying rental bindings that are relatively new.

I got some very 2nd hand Salomon rental bindings, those really common black
ones with purple bits. Did me three very full seasons, only prob was the
anti friction plates came off  (little thin bits of plastic) and I had to
get more on to get my bindings passed by the resort (for compo). Good,
reliable bindings.

ant

--
Botbait:




 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by Scott Abraha » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 01:23:40

Just a reminder that Kerrison is a thief and a psychopathic terrorist.
----------



Quote:

>> I don't worry about buying rental bindings that are relatively new.

>I got some very 2nd hand Salomon rental bindings, those really common black
>ones with purple bits. Did me three very full seasons, only prob was the
>anti friction plates came off  (little thin bits of plastic) and I had to
>get more on to get my bindings passed by the resort (for compo). Good,
>reliable bindings.

>ant

>--
>Botbait:





 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by lal_truck » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:02:15

Quote:


> message

> .
> > Last season I used a pair of demo powder boards for a cat
> skiing day and was very disappointed.

> Chances are they had too many days on them and the springs were
> getting weak. I'm assuming the DIN was set via the indicators on
> the bindings. If a release check was actually done confirming
> correct DIN then either your technique needs improving or the
> bindings weren't adjusted correctly for your boots and were
> pre-releasing.

There is more than DIN to set when adjusting a binding. Setting to
appropriate boot sole length is an obvious adjustment; another is
positioning on the ski: there is also pre-load to consider. I suspect
from your description, IF the bindings were still in functional
condition (which I suspect they were), that pre-load was improperly
set.

FWIW: Demo bindings on demo skis seldom are worn out. Demo skis don't
go out every day - I'd guess at most 1/3 of the ski days - maybe 60
days a year; and the very nature of demo skis requires that they be
current year models; the bindings are usually also current year models
because they are being "demoed" by the customer as well, so their wear
is minimal.

Benefits of demo bindings;
Can change boots size without re-mount
fore-aft adjustment (like ESS/Atomic, some Tyrolias)
easy adjustment - share skis with friends
all the features of the equivalent commercial binding
cheap
did I mention cheap?

 
 
 

Demo bindings- are they "good enough"?

Post by Vaidas Simaiti » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:03:27

You might be interested to know that your age may be a factor.
After many years of skiing on demos (1-2 weeks per year), one year
I  popped out of my demo bindings several times for no reason at all.
After getting back to the rental shop, I found out to my utter dismay
that the official DIN setting was 1 lower than the year before -- I had
reached the decrepid old age of 55!  After signing a release, they set
the bindings to what I was used to, and I had no further problems.
    Vaidas
Quote:

> Last season I used a pair of demo powder boards for a cat skiing day
> and was very disappointed. Every little drop, jump landing, etc.
> caused the binding to release even though it was at the proper DIN.
> While I know this may have been a case of bad luck I am wondering
> about all of the demo skis for sale on eBay that come with the demo
> bindings-- would you trust them for off-piste adventures? Specifically
> places like Spanky's, Ruby, etc. at Whistler. Thanks!