Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by Paul Heal » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:13:32


I got back on Saturday evening into Stansted to find snow on the ground
even  in England! The skiing in Europe this year is good with decent snow
conditions. We had a day and a half of fresh snow and very cold
temperatures in town from -13 to -17 and at peak from -20 to -30. Powder
snow was variable from half way up my ski boot to just covering my skis.
Zermatt holds it's snow well and is surrounded by mountainous peaks. Cars
are banned in the village so only electric taxis and horsedrawn sleighs
for transport. The best bar was Murphys especially when there was live
music.
The lift system was rather slow with too many cable cars but there is
little other option when surrounded by mountainous peaks and most of the
pistes
were not well linked. There was good tree skiing below Blauherd close to
the 4 man chair on the way down to Pattrullarve. The toughest skiing was off
Rote Nase via Triftji towards Gant. I spent almost a whole day around
there finding different routes down. From Schwarzsee there were 2 good black
runs no 13 and 14 with  various off piste routes either side.
I had an interesting off piste run to Valtournenche in Italy, with a dog
chasing me as I skied across his back yard. I took my skis off crossed the
road, leapt over the road barrier, clambered over some rocks, before
skiing down to the red run that led to Valtournenche. I skied in Cervinia in
Italy too. It has wider moterway style pistes and is good for high speed
piste
skiing. No deep gouches in my skis. Has to be a first!
Off to US skiing next month. I wish they would get some more snow.
Oh well, back to work.
Paul
 
 
 

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by C. Ke » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:41:45

The website has indicated that Klein Matterhorn has been closed for about a
week.

It appears this is because of high winds and cold temperatures.  Is this
what you saw???


Quote:
> I got back on Saturday evening into Stansted to find snow on the ground
> even  in England! The skiing in Europe this year is good with decent snow
> conditions. We had a day and a half of fresh snow and very cold
> temperatures in town from -13 to -17 and at peak from -20 to -30. Powder
> snow was variable from half way up my ski boot to just covering my skis.
> Zermatt holds it's snow well and is surrounded by mountainous peaks. Cars
> are banned in the village so only electric taxis and horsedrawn sleighs
> for transport. The best bar was Murphys especially when there was live
> music.
> The lift system was rather slow with too many cable cars but there is
> little other option when surrounded by mountainous peaks and most of the
> pistes
> were not well linked. There was good tree skiing below Blauherd close to
> the 4 man chair on the way down to Pattrullarve. The toughest skiing was
off
> Rote Nase via Triftji towards Gant. I spent almost a whole day around
> there finding different routes down. From Schwarzsee there were 2 good
black
> runs no 13 and 14 with  various off piste routes either side.
> I had an interesting off piste run to Valtournenche in Italy, with a dog
> chasing me as I skied across his back yard. I took my skis off crossed the
> road, leapt over the road barrier, clambered over some rocks, before
> skiing down to the red run that led to Valtournenche. I skied in Cervinia
in
> Italy too. It has wider moterway style pistes and is good for high speed
> piste
> skiing. No deep gouches in my skis. Has to be a first!
> Off to US skiing next month. I wish they would get some more snow.
> Oh well, back to work.
> Paul


 
 
 

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by Paul Heal » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:59:49

Yes, it was only open for 2 days. Sunday 26/01/2003 around mid-day and the
same on Thursday 29/01/2003.
The final cable car to the top was shut all the time so a series of cold
drag lifts to get over (wore a balaclava).
Main reason given was cold weather with temperatures from -20 to -30 (on the
day I left 01/02/2003 it was -17 in town and -40 reported on Klein
Matterhorn). It was not excessively windy.

Paul

Quote:
> The website has indicated that Klein Matterhorn has been closed for about
a
> week.

> It appears this is because of high winds and cold temperatures.  Is this
> what you saw???



> > I got back on Saturday evening into Stansted to find snow on the ground
> > even  in England! The skiing in Europe this year is good with decent
snow
> > conditions. We had a day and a half of fresh snow and very cold
> > temperatures in town from -13 to -17 and at peak from -20 to -30. Powder
> > snow was variable from half way up my ski boot to just covering my skis.
> > Zermatt holds it's snow well and is surrounded by mountainous peaks.
Cars
> > are banned in the village so only electric taxis and horsedrawn sleighs
> > for transport. The best bar was Murphys especially when there was live
> > music.
> > The lift system was rather slow with too many cable cars but there is
> > little other option when surrounded by mountainous peaks and most of the
> > pistes
> > were not well linked. There was good tree skiing below Blauherd close to
> > the 4 man chair on the way down to Pattrullarve. The toughest skiing was
> off
> > Rote Nase via Triftji towards Gant. I spent almost a whole day around
> > there finding different routes down. From Schwarzsee there were 2 good
> black
> > runs no 13 and 14 with  various off piste routes either side.
> > I had an interesting off piste run to Valtournenche in Italy, with a dog
> > chasing me as I skied across his back yard. I took my skis off crossed
the
> > road, leapt over the road barrier, clambered over some rocks, before
> > skiing down to the red run that led to Valtournenche. I skied in
Cervinia
> in
> > Italy too. It has wider moterway style pistes and is good for high speed
> > piste
> > skiing. No deep gouches in my skis. Has to be a first!
> > Off to US skiing next month. I wish they would get some more snow.
> > Oh well, back to work.
> > Paul


 
 
 

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by PSmit » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:27:23

Since you have recently returned, perhaps you can give your impression of
the new Matterhorn Express lift?

The Zermatt website is particularly bad. It has not been updated with
respect to piste maps / lifts etc.  The various pages are slightly
contradictory as well. Is the Furi-Furgg lift still in existence? What about
the Hirli drag?

I am returning to Zermatt next Saturday for a week. I have skied Zermatt
many, many times, but I would be grateful for  comments on this years
changes.

regards,
Paul Smith


Quote:
> Yes, it was only open for 2 days. Sunday 26/01/2003 around mid-day and the
> same on Thursday 29/01/2003.
> The final cable car to the top was shut all the time so a series of cold
> drag lifts to get over (wore a balaclava).
> Main reason given was cold weather with temperatures from -20 to -30 (on
the
> day I left 01/02/2003 it was -17 in town and -40 reported on Klein
> Matterhorn). It was not excessively windy.

> Paul


> > The website has indicated that Klein Matterhorn has been closed for
about
> a
> > week.

> > It appears this is because of high winds and cold temperatures.  Is this
> > what you saw???



> > > I got back on Saturday evening into Stansted to find snow on the
ground
> > > even  in England! The skiing in Europe this year is good with decent
> snow
> > > conditions. We had a day and a half of fresh snow and very cold
> > > temperatures in town from -13 to -17 and at peak from -20 to -30.
Powder
> > > snow was variable from half way up my ski boot to just covering my
skis.
> > > Zermatt holds it's snow well and is surrounded by mountainous peaks.
> Cars
> > > are banned in the village so only electric taxis and horsedrawn
sleighs
> > > for transport. The best bar was Murphys especially when there was live
> > > music.
> > > The lift system was rather slow with too many cable cars but there is
> > > little other option when surrounded by mountainous peaks and most of
the
> > > pistes
> > > were not well linked. There was good tree skiing below Blauherd close
to
> > > the 4 man chair on the way down to Pattrullarve. The toughest skiing
was
> > off
> > > Rote Nase via Triftji towards Gant. I spent almost a whole day around
> > > there finding different routes down. From Schwarzsee there were 2 good
> > black
> > > runs no 13 and 14 with  various off piste routes either side.
> > > I had an interesting off piste run to Valtournenche in Italy, with a
dog
> > > chasing me as I skied across his back yard. I took my skis off crossed
> the
> > > road, leapt over the road barrier, clambered over some rocks, before
> > > skiing down to the red run that led to Valtournenche. I skied in
> Cervinia
> > in
> > > Italy too. It has wider moterway style pistes and is good for high
speed
> > > piste
> > > skiing. No deep gouches in my skis. Has to be a first!
> > > Off to US skiing next month. I wish they would get some more snow.
> > > Oh well, back to work.
> > > Paul

 
 
 

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by Michael Char » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 02:00:30

Quote:
> Since you have recently returned, perhaps you can give your impression of
> the new Matterhorn Express lift?

It is an 8 man 'egg/bubble' lift and an improvement on the previous lift. It
makes Schwarzsee much more accessible as it goes all the way there. There is a
new stop at Aroleid. It is easy to ski down the black no 12 run from Schwarzsee
to Aroleid. But Aroleid to Furi down no 12 is a difficult as it gets on any of
the Zermatt marked pistes - that I have found.

I treated myself to a pair of hired Rossignol 164cm S9 skis which are sold with
Rossignol bindings.

On the first day I go up to the top of the Klein Matterhorn lift and find that I
cant get one ski on. As it was cold I retreated inside to investigate the
problem, and found that the binding has not been set to the correct boot length,
fortunately it is easy to move to heel piece without tools. Odd I think I am
sure that I saw the man set the bindings in the shop.

Later that day I again find that the heel piece has moved.  Odd!  Well the
problem is that each time I put the skis in the slots on the Schwarzsee lift,
the weight of the ski rests on the heel piece which makes contact with a metal
bar at the back of the slot rather than on the end of the ski. Clearly the
binding is being knocked forward each time I use this lift. So after that I am
very careful about how I put the skis in these slots.

I also found that as the rear of these skis is quite wide I had to twist the
skis so that they were across the diagonal of the slots on the bubble lift which
comes up from Cervinia.

Quote:
> Is the Furi-Furgg lift still in existence?

Yes

Quote:
> What about  the Hirli drag?

I think that this is still there, it does not do much so I just skied past it.

The Garten lift has been disabled.

Quote:

> I am returning to Zermatt next Saturday for a week. I have skied Zermatt
> many, many times, but I would be grateful for  comments on this years
> changes.

The other e***ment of the holiday was when the whole hotel started shaking as
we lay in bed at about 9.30 pm.  At first I thought it was an avalanche but
there was no sign of this the next morning, so I now think that it was an earth
tremor.

If  it is as cold and windy as it has been for the past couple of weeks I would
recommend face protection such as a balaclava to use any of the lifts above
Trockener Steg.

I hope that you enjoy  your holiday.

Michael Chare

 
 
 

Back from Zermatt 25/01/2003 to 01/02/2003

Post by Ian Spar » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:43:33

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:00:30 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Chare"

Quote:

>I treated myself to a pair of hired Rossignol 164cm S9 skis which are sold with
>Rossignol bindings.

>On the first day I go up to the top of the Klein Matterhorn lift and find that I
>cant get one ski on. As it was cold I retreated inside to investigate the
>problem, and found that the binding has not been set to the correct boot length,
>fortunately it is easy to move to heel piece without tools. Odd I think I am
>sure that I saw the man set the bindings in the shop.

>Later that day I again find that the heel piece has moved.  Odd!  Well the
>problem is that each time I put the skis in the slots on the Schwarzsee lift,
>the weight of the ski rests on the heel piece which makes contact with a metal
>bar at the back of the slot rather than on the end of the ski. Clearly the
>binding is being knocked forward each time I use this lift. So after that I am
>very careful about how I put the skis in these slots.

>I also found that as the rear of these skis is quite wide I had to twist the
>skis so that they were across the diagonal of the slots on the bubble lift which
>comes up from Cervinia.

It sounds like these are hire bindings, they're designed to be easy to
adjust for hire-shop use. Perfectly adequeute I'd imagine but they'd
not be my choice.

Ian
--
Yeah, because you never know when the value of 2^15 will change and
you have to go through all your code fixing it.
         -- Paul Tomblin