Newbie roller-ski questions

Newbie roller-ski questions

Post by Sigurd Kallhovd » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00


Although I have cross-country skied since I was about three years old
(no kidding!),  I have never roller-skied and would like to try it.
These are (some of) my initial questions - sorry to those of you that
are 'pros' about the elementary level of these questions!:

1)  Are roller-skis designed to be used with your regular X-country
skiing boots?
2)  Do I need special poles, or can I use my regular X-country ones?
3)  Do roller-skis have brakes?
4)  I have mostly done classic X-country - will the Marwe "Combi" ski be
a good one for me?
5)  Are there any e-commerce sites for roller-ski equipment, or does
anybody know of any national chains that might supply gear (I am based
in San Diego, CA)?

I look forward to your replies!

 
 
 

Newbie roller-ski questions

Post by Sigurd Kallhovd » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

And finally,

What kind of bindings are being used on roller-skis?

Sigurd

 
 
 

Newbie roller-ski questions

Post by Jerry M. Wrig » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:40:24 -0800, Sigurd Kallhovde

Quote:

>Although I have cross-country skied since I was about three years old
>(no kidding!),  I have never roller-skied and would like to try it.
>These are (some of) my initial questions - sorry to those of you that
>are 'pros' about the elementary level of these questions!:

>1)  Are roller-skis designed to be used with your regular X-country
>skiing boots?

Yes.  You mount your binding on the shaft on most models.  Jenex now
has one that you can use with street shoes.

Quote:
>2)  Do I need special poles, or can I use my regular X-country ones?

Regular poles are OK but you will need to get carbide tips that will
hold up to pavement.  Regular steel tips will wear out in about a day.

Quote:
>3)  Do roller-skis have brakes?

Some do but I wouldn't rely on them too heavily.  

Quote:
>4)  I have mostly done classic X-country - will the Marwe "Combi" ski be
>a good one for me?

If you do mostly classic, you might want get ones best suited for
classic unless you intend to use the workout to prep for skate

Quote:
>5)  Are there any e-commerce sites for roller-ski equipment, or does
>anybody know of any national chains that might supply gear (I am based
>in San Diego, CA)?

Don't know of any national chains that carry them but Velotique has a
web site for e-sales.  I think Sisu and Akers do as well.  I bought my
first pair from Akers but that was before the web.  I pefer dealing
with Velotique - Saul has been very helpful.
I've got some links on rollerskiing sales/mfrs.  Not much of a page
but at least it's there.
http://www.erols.com/wrightjm/Rollerski/XClinks.html
Quote:

>I look forward to your replies!


 
 
 

Newbie roller-ski questions

Post by Jerry M. Wrig » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:45:30 -0800, Sigurd Kallhovde

Quote:

>And finally,

>What kind of bindings are being used on roller-skis?

>Sigurd

What ever you want as long as it fits on the shaft.