Any closing date for A-Basin?

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by H. R. Bob Hofma » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:02:41


Snoig reported more snow at A-Basin.  Any rumors or facts about
closing date for A-Basin?

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Mike Speegl » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:20:34


Quote:
> Snoig reported more snow at A-Basin.  Any rumors or facts about
> closing date for A-Basin?

    They just went to 8:30 to 2 hours for the duration.  But they have
not made an annoucement yet.  The cool weather this week certainly
helps.  ;-)
--
Mike
________________________________________________________
"Colorado Ski Country, USA"   Come often, Ski hard,
Spend *lots* of money, Then leave as quickly as you can.
Rec.Skiing.Alpine.Moderated is up and working!  Join in!

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Sam Seibe » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:53:50

Quote:


> > Snoig reported more snow at A-Basin.  Any rumors or facts about
> > closing date for A-Basin?

>     They just went to 8:30 to 2 hours for the duration.  But they have
> not made an annoucement yet.  The cool weather this week certainly
> helps.  ;-)

Well, they kind of have last weekend.  Look at their press
release at:
http://www.arapahoebasin.com/cgi-bin/newsroom.cgi

Their first paragraph pretty much says it all:
A-Basin, the highest ski area in North
America, continues its legacy of being the last ski area to close in
Colorado. Ski
area officials plan on keeping the season going through July 6.
               ^^^^

With the cooler temps we have been having, they might just well
make it.  The last week of May took one hell of a bite, being
so warm and all.  I think tonite there is snow in the forecast.
May not be a lot, but it will help slow down the melt.

Sam "Lets ski A-Basin this weekend" Seiber

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Bruno Mel » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 03:42:49



Quote:
> The last week of May took one hell of a bite, being
> so warm and all.

Not to mention the rain. I drove by on June 1st and it was pouring rain.
Only a few brave souls were out, mostly racers.
I was amazed to see how much damage occured in one week. The Sunday before
the bottom had full coverage. Last Sunday, the bottom half of Ramrod was
showing big pathes of dirt. Pretty sad looking.

bruno.

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Sam Seibe » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:06:51

Quote:

> Not to mention the rain. I drove by on June 1st and it was pouring rain.
> Only a few brave souls were out, mostly racers.
> I was amazed to see how much damage occured in one week. The Sunday before
> the bottom had full coverage. Last Sunday, the bottom half of Ramrod was
> showing big pathes of dirt. Pretty sad looking.

Hmm, sounds like I missed a crappy day on the hill.  And to think
all this week I was feeling bad for missing last Sunday.
I am going to head up Saturday.  If it sux, than I will try again
Sunday.

Bruno, thx for the Sunday Wx report.

Sam

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Bruno Mel » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 07:33:55



Quote:
> Bruno, thx for the Sunday Wx report.

No problem.
Post a Saturday report. If things aren't too dismal
I'll go back up Sunday. All I need is a decent bump run, so
if the top of Ramrod is still doable that'd work for me.

bruno.

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Sam Seibe » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 08:02:36

Quote:

> Post a Saturday report. If things aren't too dismal
> I'll go back up Sunday. All I need is a decent bump run, so
> if the top of Ramrod is still doable that'd work for me.

OK, so what you need to know is where the decent bump
run was/is to be found.  I will keep the eyes open and
post here, the spot (if any).  Hey, I hope to be on 6"
of freshies in the morning!  Oh shit, this is June.
Maybe 3" ;-)  I am takin' the rock skis just in case
the bumps have a bit of granite in the troughs [sees sparks].

Sam "I ski Loveland^W A-Basin" Seiber

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Mike Speegl » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 13:28:55


Quote:

> > Post a Saturday report. If things aren't too dismal
> > I'll go back up Sunday. All I need is a decent bump run, so
> > if the top of Ramrod is still doable that'd work for me.

> OK, so what you need to know is where the decent bump
> run was/is to be found.  I will keep the eyes open and
> post here, the spot (if any).  Hey, I hope to be on 6"
> of freshies in the morning!  Oh shit, this is June.
> Maybe 3" ;-)  I am takin' the rock skis just in case
> the bumps have a bit of granite in the troughs [sees sparks].

    Last Friday there was the remains of a bump course on the upper part
to the right of the Norway lift.  It still looked in good shape, no
brown anywhere around.  I have no idea how it might have survived the
last seven days.

    Last Friday they were in serious mitigation mode as water was
pouring (looking back down to the right) from below the top of the Exo
lift.  It was cutting snow out in the run pretty quickly and it looked
like they would have pretty serious losses from all that water flow.
Hope this coolth we're getting helps extend a little while.  ;-)
--
Mike
________________________________________________________
"Colorado Ski Country, USA"   Come often, Ski hard,
Spend *lots* of money, Then leave as quickly as you can.
Rec.Skiing.Alpine.Moderated is up and working!  Join in!

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by snoi » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:16:58

Quote:



> > > Post a Saturday report. If things aren't too dismal
> > > I'll go back up Sunday. All I need is a decent bump run, so
> > > if the top of Ramrod is still doable that'd work for me.

> > OK, so what you need to know is where the decent bump
> > run was/is to be found.  I will keep the eyes open and
> > post here, the spot (if any).  Hey, I hope to be on 6"
> > of freshies in the morning!  Oh shit, this is June.
> > Maybe 3" ;-)  I am takin' the rock skis just in case
> > the bumps have a bit of granite in the troughs [sees sparks].

>     Last Friday there was the remains of a bump course on the upper part
> to the right of the Norway lift.  It still looked in good shape, no
> brown anywhere around.  I have no idea how it might have survived the
> last seven days.

>     Last Friday they were in serious mitigation mode as water was
> pouring (looking back down to the right) from below the top of the Exo
> lift.  It was cutting snow out in the run pretty quickly and it looked
> like they would have pretty serious losses from all that water flow.
> Hope this coolth we're getting helps extend a little while.  ;-)

We got about 4"-5" yesterday and it was almost all gone by the end of
the day.  Things are melting down fast.  Still lots of snow up high
though.  It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
week or two.  It's close to being full now.

snoig

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Jay Piqu » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:37:39


Quote:
>It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
>week or two.  It's close to being full now.

?????!!!!!!!!

I think not...

JP

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Sam Seibe » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:46:44

Quote:

>     Last Friday there was the remains of a bump course on the upper part
> to the right of the Norway lift.  It still looked in good shape, no
> brown anywhere around.  I have no idea how it might have survived the
> last seven days.

>     Last Friday they were in serious mitigation mode as water was
> pouring (looking back down to the right) from below the top of the Exo
> lift.  It was cutting snow out in the run pretty quickly and it looked
> like they would have pretty serious losses from all that water flow.
> Hope this coolth we're getting helps extend a little while.  ;-)

I went to the Basin on Sunday the 8th.  I really don't see how they
are going to make it to July 6.  Next weekend they will have a few runs
up top to play on, but it is my guess you will HAVE to download on
Exhibition.  Yesterday, you could ski down via Sundance, which was
about 1/2 width on the lower half.  They have already moved snow around
so you could get to Lenawee lift.  I give 'em until June 15 TOPS, and
then it is over.  

Time for the folks on the bottom of the planet to tell us some
snow stories.

Sam "I think winter is over" Seiber

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by snoi » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:39:22

Quote:


> >It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
> >week or two.  It's close to being full now.

> ?????!!!!!!!!

> I think not...

> JP

Well, here's the numbers (updated June 8th):
http://www.denverwater.org/factsfigures/reservoirlevels.html

Western Slope:
                       Dillon
Inflow (cfs)           1248
Outflow (cfs)          54
Elevation (feet)       8998.68
Storage (acre feet)    200,553
Full Elev. (feet)      9017
Capacity (acre feet)   254,036

Just under 80% and ~20 ft. to go.  At the rate it's been filling, it
wont be long.  Guess it depends on your defination of almost.

snoig

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Jay Piqu » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:11:44


Quote:


>> >It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
>> >week or two.  It's close to being full now.

>> ?????!!!!!!!!

>> I think not...

>> JP

>Well, here's the numbers (updated June 8th):
>http://www.denverwater.org/factsfigures/reservoirlevels.html

>Western Slope:
>                       Dillon
>Inflow (cfs)           1248
>Outflow (cfs)          54
>Elevation (feet)       8998.68
>Storage (acre feet)    200,553
>Full Elev. (feet)      9017
>Capacity (acre feet)   254,036

>Just under 80% and ~20 ft. to go.  At the rate it's been filling, it
>wont be long.  Guess it depends on your defination of almost.

Or on your definition of "close", I guess.....

JP
********************************
Picking nits.

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by uglymone » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:56:40

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:11:44 -0600, Jay Pique

Quote:




>>> >It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
>>> >week or two.  It's close to being full now.

>>> ?????!!!!!!!!

>>> I think not...

>>> JP

>>Well, here's the numbers (updated June 8th):
>>http://www.denverwater.org/factsfigures/reservoirlevels.html

>>Western Slope:
>>                       Dillon
>>Inflow (cfs)           1248
>>Outflow (cfs)          54
>>Elevation (feet)       8998.68
>>Storage (acre feet)    200,553
>>Full Elev. (feet)      9017
>>Capacity (acre feet)   254,036

>>Just under 80% and ~20 ft. to go.  At the rate it's been filling, it
>>wont be long.  Guess it depends on your defination of almost.

>Or on your definition of "close", I guess.....

If a lake came up twenty feet here in Iowa, they whole state
would go underwater.

nate

 
 
 

Any closing date for A-Basin?

Post by Armi » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:42:25

Quote:

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:11:44 -0600, Jay Pique





>>>>> It's amazing how much Lake Dillon has come up in the last
>>>>> week or two.  It's close to being full now.

>>>> ?????!!!!!!!!

>>>> I think not...

>>>> JP

>>> Well, here's the numbers (updated June 8th):
>>> http://www.denverwater.org/factsfigures/reservoirlevels.html

>>> Western Slope:
>>>                       Dillon
>>> Inflow (cfs)           1248
>>> Outflow (cfs)          54
>>> Elevation (feet)       8998.68
>>> Storage (acre feet)    200,553
>>> Full Elev. (feet)      9017
>>> Capacity (acre feet)   254,036

>>> Just under 80% and ~20 ft. to go.  At the rate it's been filling, it
>>> wont be long.  Guess it depends on your defination of almost.

>> Or on your definition of "close", I guess.....

> If a lake came up twenty feet here in Iowa, they whole state
> would go underwater.

Would that be a bad thing (as far as skiing is concerned that is)?  <g>

Armin